• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - June 20th

Angiance

Smash Lord
Reasonably balanced...Meta Knight must've been considered "reasonably balanced" too, since he's tournament legal. Haha! It would seem you guys are good at keeping the competitive scene clean and fair!

Meta Knight has a moveset that completely seperates himself from other characters, given his SS rank! It'd be a PLEASURE to see Meta Knight completely obliterate >every character in the game< again...and again...and again...and again...

Last edited:

infomon

Smash Scientist
I see Custom Movesets as our first defense against any MK-level characters in smash4. Characters can find movesets that work best against the super-good characters/moves... and/or we can ban specific moves (MK tornado?) without banning the character.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I know deep in my heart, one day, we'll get customizable final smashes.
...Rock pikmin for Olimar.... Fierce Deity Link ..... Coconut Guns for DK.... Rush Adaptor Armor megaman...... Villagers Bee's.. .. . . . . .Arwing for Falco... Super Falcon Punch .... it's coming I can feel it in my loins.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Many of us see Custom Specials as a revolution; a »break« from the "work with what you've got" approach in previous titles. Many smashers would love being able to »consistently« use their main via moveset adjustment, instead of counter-picking a secondary

Last edited:

WwwWario

Smash Ace
You... you do realize what this means, right?

The falcon punch... will be more than a falcon punch
Hitting with a customized punch... will result in a end-game. Or breaking the game. Or.... even bigger....

p4nd4p4nd4p4nd4p4nd4

Smash Cadet
NNID
le-harlz
3DS FC
4227-0851-7533
This just made me realize, why isn't Mega Man like Palutena? He has so many moves from the game series he can have for specials, it surprises me he's just coming in with his standards plus the basic custom 9 other moves.

Last edited:

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
This is awesome, I 100% think custom moves should be legal in tournament play. Not using them would be such a waste of potential. The only only issue with them is that some might be OP/unbalanced, but that is something the community can systematically ban over time. It adds so much depth to the match-ups. Honestly, not including them would just be laziness.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
This has so much potential.
I wish he would man up and allow them in with anyone mode so that we don't have to bother with one year of "should we allow this in competitive play" debates.
On for fun at least. For Glory can do without it but on For Fun it makes no sense to ban custom moves and Miis.

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
EDIT: Saved draft from another post removed >.<

Hey guys? Remember that one Pic that was on Sonic's Website Page?

What if THIS is a Custom Side-B, like a Light Speed Dash or something! 0.0
If Sonic gets sweet moves like Light Dash, he'd replace one of my mains for sure!

Last edited:

Uffe

Smash Hero
Banned on ANYONE MODE, not with friends. Remember, people, there are different online options.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Simple reason why customized special moves arent in random matches-- he probably wants the players to see these moves being selected in the character select screen. Think street fighter and selecting your ultra. Before the match starts the game shows you what ultra your opponent is using. Nice touch sak , im looking forward to see your ui. Though i dont know if he means casual mode or for glory mode or both.

I can also see where having it on could be a problem, see sfxt and the gem system where it becomes too random and hurts competitive balance...that is if he means to keep special swapping allowed for glory mode.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Fun Fact: Over 90% of the people who don't want custom movesets in Competitive Play are the people who send too much time on Melee/Project M for their own good.
~THE MORE YOU KNOW~
(sorry if this was offensive)

Darknut

Smash Cadet
So with this, Donkey Kong turns into Dudley from Street Fighter.

On the topic of custom moves and the competetive scene, wouldn't it be a little counter productive to allow them? We see in one of the Smash Run demonstrations that unlocking extra custom moves is completely random, I don't know how many tournament organizers are willing to deal with unlocking a huge list of things that could potentially be as tedius as collecting all the music CDs in Brawl without the use of the sandbag trick and if custom moves are tournament legal you're going to HAVE to have all the options unlocked.

Also I honestly don't think it'd be fun to watch tournaments where not only are players changing their control scheme but now they're looking for their custom moves combination as well, it'd take ages to start a match at that point especially if they plan on using multiple different characters or if later combatants use the same character but have different combinations.

Also let's be honest if custom move sets were tourney legal, we'll probably see nothing but Palutena, you guys seen all the crazy stuff she had in the trailer? She's got just about everything, a teliport, a parry, a reflector, she can hover, obviously most of that will have to be part of her custom moves so we don't know what her default stuff is going to be.
Solution lies below:
The amiibo will (hopefully) allow you to transfer not just your character (FP) but your name, custom controls, AND custom movesets. You bring your own amiibo, use it to check in on the Gamepad before your match, and voila, all your options are uploaded directly to the system. No hassle, no wait times, it's perfect. Sadly, Nintendo's plan for amiibo doesn't seem to line up exactly with my own vision for their potential. I think a lot of people would love them if they acted as wireless NFC memory cards, in addition to the cool things they are already trying to tie into each game.

Darknut

Smash Cadet
Fun Fact: Over 90% of the people who don't want custom movesets in Competitive Play are the people who send too much time on Melee/Project M for their own good.
~THE MORE YOU KNOW~
(sorry if this was offensive)
Fun fact: The above quoted 'facts' are based entirely on exaggerated values with no observable relation between values and stated opinion.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Solution lies below:
The amiibo will (hopefully) allow you to transfer not just your character (FP) but your name, custom controls, AND custom movesets. You bring your own amiibo, use it to check in on the Gamepad before your match, and voila, all your options are uploaded directly to the system. No hassle, no wait times, it's perfect. Sadly, Nintendo's plan for amiibo doesn't seem to line up exactly with my own vision for their potential. I think a lot of people would love them if they acted as wireless NFC memory cards, in addition to the cool things they are already trying to tie into each game.
Yeah, unfortunately, in game amiibos are just CPU assists, hey there's a good for fun tourney idea, an amiibo tourney, who's figurine is the best.

Darknut

Smash Cadet
Yeah, unfortunately, in game amiibos are just CPU assists, hey there's a good for fun tourney idea, an amiibo tourney, who's figurine is the best.
Well we don't actually know the full extent of their abilities yet, that was just one thing they showed us. I'm sure they have more tricks up their collective sleeves. Also I'm sure they could be updated to include new functionality in the future if they are missing features like what I would like to see.

Neoleo21

Smash Apprentice
Its simple, with custom movesets, people will be endlessly surprised, it wouldn't be fun to not know what your opponent is running, fighting games should not be guessing games in terms of special moves, both street fighter and MK handle this. However, this does not change potential viability of custom movesets, I think it will add something fresh in the metagame to see so many unique abilities granted to fighters we've always played for the last 15 years.

Chris Sifniotis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
chrissifniotis
Okay, so as a casual player I felt it was unreasonable for me to comment on this 'custom sets in competitions' argument, at least until I actually see a genuine tournament, which given where I am isn't all that possible. Reading all the posts here, there and everywhere has compelled me to put up how I currently feel, if you feel a need to take this with a pinch of salt.

The way I see it both sides of the argument have made really good points; on the one hand competitive play is about the best of the best fighting each other in a calculated and measured forum, where all the variables - items, food, stage hazards, etc. - are removed, leaving just the fighters where the competitive players know all there is to know about every character and can adapt their strategies accordingly. That's why opposition exists, customization adds variance to an otherwise sterile environment. On the other hand the prospect of discovering new avenues of strategy is an alluring one and one that, when Smash 4 releases, will by studied and experimented by the very experienced and adventurous players almost immediately. And thus from that experimentation new movesets and strategic underpinnings will spring up and the experimenters will want to test these out under competition conditions. Why stop the innovators from improving their game?

I completely understand why Sakurai left out customized sets in fighting anyone on online play, it's the same reason why the competitive scene removes items and picks stages like Final Destination or Battlefield or others to that effect and will more than likely reject custom sets initially; a fair fight is a fight that doesn't just give out a Smash Ball randomly or turn the stage upside down whenever the computer chooses to. So why add confusion and uncertainty to a fair fight? I think customization shouldn't be completely discounted in the competitive scene; until we know about how all the moves work and how best to chain them into a workable moveset and from there develop a usable strategy against fighters that can work in competition conditions it makes sense to leave it out at first, but when we do gain a greater understanding of the moves and start making new strategies with them custom contests should spring up to encourage custom gameplay under competitive conditions, especially so when players begin to understand how other custom strategies work and can modify their own fight style against them.

But for now I'll be smashing, and smashing so more when Smash 4 is out.

Last edited:

TheLegendOfVenusaur

Smash Apprentice
Its simple, with custom movesets, people will be endlessly surprised, it wouldn't be fun to not know what your opponent is running, fighting games should not be guessing games in terms of special moves, both street fighter and MK handle this. However, this does not change potential viability of custom movesets, I think it will add something fresh in the metagame to see so many unique abilities granted to fighters we've always played for the last 15 years.
What if, beforehand, you have to tell them what customs you're running?

banjofan47

Smash Rookie
And that's why Miis may be banned from competitive play, since there may be no standard moveset and height for them.

I'm thinking that the only way it can be allowed is if they use the Guest Miis for every tournament available, and if the tournament scene agree on a specific moveset, which probably will be the 1st variation.

That aside, is this not the first picture we've seen where DK doesn't look goofy and ridiculus? Actually seeing him with a serious expression scares me a bit.

I think the real reason you can't play as your miis online is because you can play as anyone you want, and you could make Hitler or other things that are frowned upon.

D

Deleted member

I think the real reason you can't play as your miis online is because you can play as anyone you want, and you could make Hitler or other things that are frowned upon.
In that case, Miis would not be accepted in any of the Mario Kart games either.
While you don't see their faces most of the time in the Mario Kart 8 races, you're still subject to see them in the lobbies you run into online.

That general rule applies for most Mii-integrated games.

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
I think a good use of custom movesets is to rebalance the game. If theres a MetaKnight-status character with completely broken specials, then the ruleset should ban the default moveset and impose a custom one for competitive play. This would be extremely easy if you could save a custom moveset to each character and select it, but I don't guess anyone knows if thats possible as of now...

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
lol It seems smart to limit the moves. Let the community determine for itself what is usable and what is not when you play each other.
By community you mean backroom of handpicked and biased opinions, sure.

I'm honestly a little doubtful that this will go far, due to the amount of options available. Of course, "we'll" have to limit those options, to keep everything balanced and level for "everyone".

Last edited:
By community you mean backroom of handpicked and biased opinions, sure.

I'm honestly a little doubtful that this will go far, due to the amount of options available. Of course, "we'll" have to limit those options, to keep everything balanced and level for "everyone".
Mainly I meant for the benefit of online play it seems good to restrict customization a bit.

For the community it depends upon your community. No doubt there will eventually be some sort of national tournament standard that will eventually get changed around over a couple years as did melee and brawl.

The local community (be it friends or a whole city or region) will vary all over the place.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
Mainly I meant for the benefit of online play it seems good to restrict customization a bit.

For the community it depends upon your community. No doubt there will eventually be some sort of national tournament standard that will eventually get changed around over a couple years as did melee and brawl.

The local community (be it friends or a whole city or region) will vary all over the place.
In that case, I'd hope it's given a solid chance for online play. I'm mainly happy to see that there will be so many avenues we can take this time around towards a competitive setup. Whatever conclusion we come to can only be determined a few months after release.

Hopefully, we all come to an agreement that's both fun and competitive(oxymoron?).

Top Bottom