• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - June 20th

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
"The number of attacks is pretty appalling" wut
I'm guessing by appalling he means 'disgusting' or 'sick' in a good way, like, as in 'holy crap there are many of them'.
I read it the same exact way, then I read on another blog about the person thought he meant "appealing" . So I don't know, but appealing makes more sense since I don't know if the Japanese use the words "sick" like we can use it.

BladerDaBrawler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BL4D3R
3DS FC
3239-3576-1305
It's pretty much as Sakurai says. It's to detract the benefit of surprising your oponnent that doesn't know what you have customized your fighter to do.
What if we had to tell our opponent the custom moveset we'd be using? Wouldn't that remove the reasons everybody's against it?

D

Deleted member

What if we had to tell our opponent the custom moveset we'd be using? Wouldn't that remove the reasons everybody's against it?
That's where the whole adaption thing comes in. The only argument I can come up with against that is that it would take longer for the competitors to start up matches. And even so, it would not be by a large margin.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
While visually pleasing, I have a feeling that the tornado will only do tiny pushback, so mainly just for keeping people away from returning to the stage. If I'm just playing casually, I probably won't be using it (it feels dishonorable to hit people when they are trying to recover, even if I don't care if they do that to me). I be it will be useful for some people though.

TweetyPurd

Smash Apprentice
I think that by defult, all custom moves should be banned in tournys.

However, after a few months play and a decent tier list has been made, the characters at the bottom of the tier list could look to their custom moves to buff them to make them more competative.

Top tiers stay the same.

It will all need to be agreed on thought my the greater community though

itsameluigi1290

Smash Journeyman
NNID
luigitime1290
I'm blaming Donkey Kong for the bad weather we had yesterday.

I can't wait to try out all the custom moves! I really wanna see Sonic's.

D

Deleted member

It'd be cool if Sonic's down B attack left a trail of fire. :)
I'm thinking we'll see a lot of references of the wisps within his moveset-variations, since they have had a prominent role in modern Sonic titles and the game Sonic's Smash design currently is based on.

Nietendodude

Smash Ace
This move will be really cool with his Abominable Snowman costume.

I'm looking forward to seeing Ness or Lucas's customizations. (If they make it... which at least ONE better...)
Actually when Ness DOES make it in I wouldn't be surprised that his some of his custom moves are Lucas's old moves... just my two cents.

TreK

Is "that guy"
This has so much potential.
I wish he would man up and allow them in with anyone mode so that we don't have to bother with one year of "should we allow this in competitive play" debates.

Pabmyster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pabmyster
This looks really interesting. I'd like to see this function used with amiibos so at tournaments it would take much less time to set up character movesets and such. That is, if it were allowed in tourneys, which I think it should be. It'd be really cool and unique to see what people can come up with.

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
if you're playing locally, isn't that just online? I'm happy in any case that costumization isn't allowed cuz indeed there would be much unbalanced stuff going on. I kinda compare these option to an more complex special melee... not gonna use it very much.

young grasshopper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4227-3446-5848
Honestly to me I hope the community gives it a chance at least. If Mortal Kombat X can have custom variants why can't smash?
while I am a big supporter of custom moves, I'm guessing that they will be banned in wiiU tournaments for the sake of saving time, but allowed in 3ds tournaments, since you bring your own system with customization already set up

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
With that many moves it must take a good amount of brainSTORMing...

Anyways, I'm really interested in seeing everyone's custom moves. And I wouldn't mind seeing those moves used in a tournament, if it can be worked out.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Because every Smash player has friends who also play Smash, right?
They can't make friends online? They can't convince their real life friends to try out the game? Custom Specials are unavailable against anonymous players, so the With Anyone category's out. They should be able to make friends via friend requests or even Smashboards, and with these custom moves available in With Friends mode and offline this shouldn't be an issue.

And if they have no interenet, they can convince their real life friends to play.

TheMasterGinta

Smash Cadet
Lots of other fighters allow customization in the competitive community, SF with ultras, UMvC3 and Skullgirls with assists, Tekken adding weapons to characters, Dissidia allowing the ENTIRE character and accessories and assists to be customized (though there were a few limitations). Unless we can see why it is truly broken in the beginning, I see no reason why not to allow it. These are only slight changes to special moves anyways bare Palutena and Miis.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
"Appalling." Does he mean appealing??

Hitzel

Smash Ace
Yeah, it seems that most of the community wants to try custom movesets in tournaments, myself included.

Kinda funny that the one feature that competitive players want, Sakurai doesn't allow in standard play. Oh well, at least we get items online, right?:psycho:

TheLegendOfVenusaur

Smash Apprentice
Even though this is very, very cool, I'm afraid Sakurai is just adding simple effects to most attacks... Remember, when people do Brawl hacking, I notice that they are able to add effects. These being fire, ice, wind, lightning and dark-effect. As we've seen, Mario's Cape (side special) can change into either Gust Cape or Lightning Cape. Kirby can also change her Suck into spitting Ice. Now we have a Gust punch for DK. It's very cool indeed, but I hope more attacks get a bit more changed than just adding these effects. As I said, it's very cool, it does change up the attack a bit, and not all moves are like this (Mario's Fludd can change into different types, DK's side special can change into a slow, super-armored version, etc).

Anyways, I'm really, really liking the idea of customizing moves! And even 3 different variants, for each special move, for each character! Seing more customized attacks are actually one of the features I'm most excited for now :D
"Kirby can also change her Suck into spitting Ice."
Her?
HER??
HEEEEERRRRR?????)

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Hey guys? Remember that one Pic that was on Sonic's Website Page?

What if THIS is a Custom Side-B, like a Light Speed Dash or something! 0.0

TheLegendOfVenusaur

Smash Apprentice
I'm really curious as to what the Villager's specials will be. Perhaps a Lloid that explodes faster and bigger? Tree that drops fruit instead of chopping down? Up-B that makes your balloons explode with nerfed recovery? So many possibilities!
What about pocket? Can that even be changed? Also, the same could be said for things like Marth and Ike's down b's.
Maybe some moves don't have variants.

NekuShikazu

Smash Journeyman
Just an assumption, but I'm inferring that some of the custom moves may have been moves that were supposed to be scrapped. Also, I'm interested to see what whacky things Sakurai has included!

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
I think what he's trying to say is that he wants For Glory mode to be a transitional period for those who want to be more competitive but need more practice, or as mode to give competitive players extra practice that don't have anyone locally, and they shouldn't need to worry about being surprised about having to deal with custom move sets. They should learn how to deal with vanilla characters before moving on to more advanced custom characters.

It's only an inference but given how he wants Smash to be accessible to as many people as possible this seems like his reasoning. I still don't think they should be banned from tournaments, give them a year or at least a few months to see how they work within competitive play.

Last edited:

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
dat tornado punch tho

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
It's pretty much as Sakurai says. It's to detract the benefit of surprising your oponnent that doesn't know what you have customized your fighter to do.

Ice Climbers grabbing is cheap and depressing, but people know that they have it, and there has been no way to change that for the characters.

Again, that's something the tournament community can adapt to, but it's more to the point if they're going to be willing to do so. After all, we need to take it into consideration that people watch these matches, and such variation could lead to confusion.

Then again, wavedashing as a concept is by itself confusing to the casual non-competitive audience. It all depends on who directs the competitive scene of the new Smash Bros.
Sakurai also said that playing locally with custom moves wouldnt be a problem, basically because you could know what moves is going to use your opponent.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Please note the custom-moveset legality discussion thread:
http://smashboards.com/threads/legality-custom-special-moves-maybe-modifiable-attributes-no.357972/

My criteria for deciding if it should be legal:
http://smashboards.com/threads/lega...ble-attributes-no.357972/page-2#post-16906586

It's worrisome that Sakurai cites "balance" reasons for banning it in For Glory mode. Hopefully he intends these special moves to be reasonably balanced, and is just being conservative in case any specific move turns out to be broken-overpowered.

But let's also note that the anonymity is a major concern in online play that we won't have in tournament. In online, you can't know what moves they have equipped. For tournament, we would allow everyone to see what moves are equipped before the match.

I really hope custom-specials are balanced and reasonable for tournament play. We can't know for sure until the game is out.

infomon

Smash Scientist
I agree. Why can't we just have two rulesets? (w/ custom moves on/off)
CoD doesn't ban class set-ups.
There's no reason to split yet. As soon as the game is out, and we've unlocked the custom specials, we'll see if they are reasonably balanced and quick to configure for each match. If they are, then they should be allowed in every ruleset; at least until we find any glaring problems with it.

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
I wonder if custom moves will be configurable from the character select screen, like picking ultras/grooves in other games. For instance, way back in Pokemon 64 you could hide your selections from the opponent using the c-buttons.

Last edited:
Top Bottom