• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - July 17th

Smashboards

18 years old!
Administrator
Premium
Writing Team
Smash WiiU & 3DS director Masahiro Sakurai said "Pic of the day. We have Nintendogs plus cats! How could we forget them!! Just FYI, there are about five dog breeds in this game. This was me, reporting from the 3DS-exclusive stage, Living Room."

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
"This was me, reporting from the 3DS-exclusive stage, Living Room.".

Ok Sakurai.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
The "This was me, reporting from the 3DS-exclusive stage, Living Room." comment from Sakurai and Peach's taunt go so well together imo, ha ha.

Last edited:

tomvoxx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thighland529
Switch FC
SW-1258-1614-8509
I wonder if Sakurai is fun to hang out with in person...

Last edited:

itsameluigi1290

Smash Journeyman
NNID
luigitime1290
Aw man, you've gotta be KITTEN me.

*tomato to the face*

Seriously though, that kitten is adorable.

itsameluigi1290

Smash Journeyman
NNID
luigitime1290
Also, unrelated, but this is from another page of the Famitsu magazine:

We've just announced two new characters who will be joining the fray in the upcoming Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U. One is Robin, the avatar from Fire Emblem: Awakening, and the other is Lucina, a swordswoman who plays an important role in the same title. I'll skip over the details.
"What? Not Chrom!?" I suspect a lot of you will ask. Of course, Chrom is quite popular, being the protagonist of FE:A and all. However, I chose Robin and Lucina, and I will elaborate on my reasoning.
Robin appears in the game as a Tactician and functions much like a Mystic Knight (note: FF terminology, but equivalent to magic swordsman). I thought to utilize his all-around nature by assigning swordplay to his Smash attacks and magic tomes to his special attacks--that is, allow him to use magic.
His neutral special is thunder magic that grows stronger the larger you charge it. He uses fire magic for his side special, and wind magic for recovery as his up special. Although Robin doesn't use dark magic in FE:A, I decided to assign it as his down special. It isn't the first time I've given moves to a character that they don't use in their respective game in order to capture certain aspects of the original title.
I also implemented the system used in FE:A, in which tomes break after overuse. Likewise, I included a similar system for the Levin Sword, which breaks after a certain number of uses. However, both the tomes and the Levin Sword will quickly regenerate after a set period of time.
Lucina uses the same techniques as Marth, a fighter with whom I'm sure most of you are already familiar. I even went so far as to make their strength, speed, and special attacks almost identical.
However, what sets Lucina apart is the fact that the strength of her attacks is uniform along the blade. Marth's playstyle emulates the elegant swordplay of a fencer by dealing more damage when he strikes with the tip of his blade, but the damage Lucina deals is evened out. Thus, I think that Lucina will be much easier than Marth for novice players to play with.
I played all the way through FE:A and really wanted to include a character from that rich cast in Smash Bros. Naturally, I considered adding Chrom to the roster, but the decision wasn't easy by any means.
At the end of the day, Chrom would just end up being another plain-old sword-wielder like Marth and Ike. Compared with other characters, he lacks any unique characteristics.
Conversely, when the idea of including Robin came to mind, conceiving the character was so easy that I immediately saw how it would work. From standards to specials, grabs to throws, all aspects of his moveset just fell into place. Not only did he possess characteristics unlike other fighters, but he also captured the essence of the Fire Emblem series. It was perfect!
In the end, if a game isn't fun, then there's no point. Of course, it would be really easy to make a game by churning out a ton of similar characters, but that's not how I produce games.
Initially, I had considered including Lucina as one of Marth's alternate costumes. After all, she has a close relationship with him in FE:A. In such cases, even if two characters' names and voices differ, as long as they function the same way, I assign them as alternate costumes. The Wii Fit Trainers, Villagers, and Robin are examples of this setup.
However, even though Lucina shares her physical stats and techniques with Marth, the characteristics of their attacks differ. When two such similar characters function in an even slightly different manner, I give them a separate spot on the roster since that will affect battle records and whatnot. In that sense, you could say she was very lucky to join the fray!
Source.

Sqa$

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bazaar
When I checked this picture this morning on Miiverse, it was one of the pictures with the least hate I'd seen in a while.....

I don't understand Miiverse.

Crisconvor

Smash Rookie
NNID
Crisconvor
3DS FC
0705-2646-5407
I'm actually surprised how little we know about Princess Peach at this point. She was one of the earliest revealed characters but we haven't seen a lot of gameplay of her her.

young grasshopper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4227-3446-5848
I'm actually surprised how little we know about Princess Peach at this point. She was one of the earliest revealed characters but we haven't seen a lot of gameplay of her her.
that's because mashedpotato samurai is making her uber top-tier with attacks that cover the hole stage with deadly hearts and ribbons

Last edited:

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Back Room: "Cats are too distracting for players, and they spawn randomly, therefore the stage "Living Room" is banned."

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
a stage where the background is different over time?
Funny little addition but unnecessary imo. Still I like cats more, so yeah, if we get to choose between cats n dogs, than this is easy decision for me.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Marvelous. Now If I DON'T see Sakurai's cat, I'll be disappointed. :laugh:

Gigawattz

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1478-3568-2454
Although I REALLY want to know more about Robin and his tomes, this picture is a good break from the all the new stuff that was revealed.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
Good info today.
Five breeds...
One of them need to be PUG PLEASE SAKURAI. PUT PUG IN THE STAGE!!!
Well at least we got kitty here.

HONY

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-1450-7268
Peach is singing? Was that a taunt in an old game or is that a new one? Also pit's eyes are closed so maybe she sung him to sleep.

JIGGLYPUFF DECONFIRMED.

just kidding though.

maybe.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
D'awww. It's official. The 3DS gets all the best exclusive stages. X3 It would be hilarious if this was based off of Sakurai's living room.

When I checked this picture this morning on Miiverse, it was one of the pictures with the least hate I'd seen in a while.....

I don't understand Miiverse.
It's because Miiverse - like a vast majority of the internet - loves pussy.

I'm talking about cats, of course.

Last edited:

Crisconvor

Smash Rookie
NNID
Crisconvor
3DS FC
0705-2646-5407
Peach is singing? Was that a taunt in an old game or is that a new one? Also pit's eyes are closed so maybe she sung him to sleep.

JIGGLYPUFF DECONFIRMED.

just kidding though.

maybe.
Nah, this was a taunt from Brawl, but good theory

Sonovin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sonovin
3DS FC
2466-3203-5587
They both have their eyes close.
Do cats affect them that much? XP

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
a stage where the background is different over time?
Funny little addition but unnecessary imo. Still I like cats more, so yeah, if we get to choose between cats n dogs, than this is easy decision for me.
It is not unnecessary. It is details like these that makes Smash Bros such an amazing series.
You've cat to be kitten me right meow

wafflini

Smash Apprentice
Peach recieved a massive buff in strength and is now SSS tier

synesthe-sia

Smash Journeyman
I'm not necessarily a Chrom supporter, but adding Lucina is nearly the same as adding Chrom as far as "another plain-old sword-wielder" is concerned. Not that I don't like her, it's just that Sakurai's mind works in weird ways.

Aurafox

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraPuffs
3DS FC
2466-1511-0624
Keeping the tradition of Lucina alive, maybe the cat's version have a separate stage in the level select screen as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom