• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - July 15th

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
why do people have hope for Issac? his original game was so long ago, and with no recent releases (dark dawn almost 4 years ago) the likelyhood of his making the roster is really doubtful. you have to be super hot stuff or a super staple character to make it. not that i wouldn't love playing isaac. "Isaac's sword starts to glow...!"
The post you quoted didn't even mention anything about Isaac.

Golden Sun =/= Xenoblade. Entire different series.

Last edited:

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
To anyone upset by Lucina being a clone:
Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Gouken, E.Ryu, Oni, Dan, Iori, Ky Kiske, Yu Narukami, Haohmaru, and such... All "basically" the same character.

Not the end of the world.
1.Are those games Smash Bros games?
2.Because other fighters make mistakes, it's fine for such a unique fighter like Smash to copy them and lose it's originality?
3. Many of those games, including Super Smash Bros Brawl, had clones in the past, but have since tried to fix that issue. Sm4sh is tacking a step-backwards.
4.NONE of those fighters are straight up clones like Lucina. Sakurai specifically stated that her physical moves are identical to Marth, but she has small differences .The same can't be said for any Shoto fighters in recent Street Fighters.

At the end of the day, it is no different than other character arguments. People will still complain, and the fans can't change that. Regarding Lucina, yes, she is a Marth clone. Lucina fans just have to deal with that. Smash fans just have to deal with that.But weak damage control won't change anyone's opinion on her inclusion, and this does not only go to you. Many Smashfans will not be happy with her inevitably being a clone, not even a semi-clone but an actual clone, Lucina fans just have to accept the cost. Just give up already....

RedRambo4

Smash Cadet
I wonder what other characteristics she has, maybe some hidden special hit moves like Zelda's toe on her F-Air, and of course Captain Falcon's knee

Gatoray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gatoray
3DS FC
3024-5880-3045
She's just like Roy except without the foam pool noodle for a sword!

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
3. Many of those games, including Super Smash Bros Brawl, had clones in the past, but have since tried to fix that issue. Sm4sh is tacking a step-backwards.
4.NONE of those fighters are straight up clones like Lucina. Sakurai specifically stated that her physical moves are identical to Marth, but she has small differences .The same can't be said for any Shoto fighters in recent Street Fighters.
As I've stated before, I think we really should wait for further updates and the release of the game. There's no point in saying that she's a "straight-up" clone. Sakurai can say what he wants, but we've seen in the past that Dr. Mario =/= Mario (slight differences in attack power, knockback trajectories, etc.) and Roy =/= Marth in Melee, even though trophy descriptions said the differences between them were "small" when they ended up performing and playing differently.

Don't get me wrong: even if the minuscule differences end up being a bigger impact with how good they are, I don't think it's wrong to be disappointed that we got Marth with tweaks. I think a more original moveset would've been better as well. I'm crossing my fingers for Lucina getting something different, like Melee's Shield Breaker instead of the Brawl stab: we can only hope there will be more differences besides tweaks in "tipper" and attributes.

TheLegendOfVenusaur

Smash Apprentice
Can people please stop saying that Lucina is "taking up a spot". There was never a confirmed number of characters and the whole roster hasn't been revealed yet. (Even though the full roster has been made, they're still working on characters.)

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
I have a theory as to why she's a clone:

In Melee Marth was an effective character because of his agility, spacing, and the power behind a lot of his strikes. In Brawl his power was reduced (along with everyone else) but since he's rebuffing everyone he's getting it back.

But in order to make the game more balance and avoid what happened in Melee (in which EVERYONE only played like 6 characters) He's given Marth all the power aspects that made him effective, but was changed so that he gets less follow ups so he won't be as easily able to rack up damage on everyone.

However Sakurai knows that it would make fans angry to completely remove the play style they're familiar with, so he's given all the agility and combo game that everyone know's to Lucina, who no longer has the tipper and appears to be more agile in the few clips we see. I'm assuming she's much weaker though to again retain the balance.

I don't have a lot of solid evidence to prove this but it would make sense as to why Marth was altered the way he was and seems like a logical and clever way of making the two characters distinct despite having the same move pool, like Toon Link and Ganondorf are.

If this ends up being true could we be seeing the same thing happening to Fox and Falco?

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
:secretkpop:

In all Seriousness I suppose it explains why we have a Lucina Amiibo in the Picture so I'm calling It 8-Bit Mario as an Assist trophy

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
I have a theory as to why she's a clone:

In Melee Marth was an effective character because of his agility, spacing, and the power behind a lot of his strikes. In Brawl his power was reduced (along with everyone else) but since he's rebuffing everyone he's getting it back.

But in order to make the game more balance and avoid what happened in Melee (in which EVERYONE only played like 6 characters) He's given Marth all the power aspects that made him effective, but was changed so that he gets less follow ups so he won't be as easily able to rack up damage on everyone.

However Sakurai knows that it would make fans angry to completely remove the play style they're familiar with, so he's given all the agility and combo game that everyone know's to Lucina, who no longer has the tipper and appears to be more agile in the few clips we see. I'm assuming she's much weaker though to again retain the balance.

I don't have a lot of solid evidence to prove this but it would make sense as to why Marth was altered the way he was and seems like a logical and clever way of making the two characters distinct despite having the same move pool, like Toon Link and Ganondorf are.

If this ends up being true could we be seeing the same thing happening to Fox and Falco?
1 this Pretty Much Confirms Falco Wolf and Lucas to come but also
Lucina has Very little To no Ending Lag on her moves from what I'm seeing which should be interesting to say the least

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
1.Are those games Smash Bros games?
2.Because other fighters make mistakes, it's fine for such a unique fighter like Smash to copy them and lose it's originality?

At the end of the day, it is no different than other character arguments. People will still complain, and the fans can't change that. Regarding Lucina, yes, she is a Marth clone. Lucina fans just have to deal with that. Smash fans just have to deal with that.But weak damage control won't change anyone's opinion on her inclusion, and this does not only go to you. Many Smashfans will not be happy with her inevitably being a clone, not even a semi-clone but an actual clone, Lucina fans just have to accept the cost. Just give up already....
Yeah, I hate Falco since most of his moves are like fox's but with tweaks. He plays the exact same way as fox. Sarcasm aside, I don't see what's overly bad about being a clone, since they are kind of NOT the original character, just visually similar. Though, believing EVERYTHING you see might be a great idea.

herbmaster%

my dankchu is 420XX
3DS FC
2836-1534-7477
Bah, Pit was in Brawl, wasn't he? And his last game was a lonnnng time before Brawl came out.
The post you quoted didn't even mention anything about Isaac.

Golden Sun =/= Xenoblade. Entire different series.
@luigi1290 ice climbers and pit were dead as can be, so they were given respectful revivals. i'd say that isaac has about the same chance as they had, even with his games more recent popularity. maybe by next smash game we will have our earth adept.@DC the person i quoted had a signature that had isaac for smash4. it was kinda out of the blue.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Yeah, that is true. Street Fighter creates their own characters, and gives each of those characters a reason why they have their movesets. For example, Gouken is Ken and Ryu's teacher, Ken and Ryu studied together, hence the similarities in fighting styles, etc.

I could say the same about Lucina though: she's Marth's descendant and has his D.N.A. She even has the same sword that defeated the Shadow Dragon, even though it's design changed over the years. Maybe that's why the power isn't focused on the tip anymore. It's no wonder why she would play similarly, though, with both being part of the same royal family.

About the nerf thing you said:
  1. We don't know whether Lucina > Marth, nor Marth > Lucina. Lucina might be easier to use, but in no way does that mean she's a better character. I think it's wiser to wait for the release and test the characters rather than jump to conclusions.
  2. Street Fighter nerfs and buffs characters throughout games interchangeably. Ken just got buffed in USF4, while Ryu is pretty much in the same tier as him now (some think Ryu's slightly inferior than Ken, but that's debatable). On the other hand, Sakura (another Ryu "shoto" I forgot to mention in my previous post) used to be considered much better than both of these until USF4's nerf.
In the end though, I don't think you're wrong to think that Lucina is a waste of a slot: she does have the same moveset as another character with slightly different attributes, and I understand why anyone would be upset to see the same moveset again with slight tinkers.

Personally, I'm indifferent to Lucina being in the game, as I've never enjoyed playing as Marth, Roy, and I probably won't enjoy Lucina either. It's not necessarily bad to have a "simpler" version of the same character, though, and - given previous history - I'm positive that Marth and Lucina will end up playing and performing differently.
they better because Lucina brought nothing new to the table and you can't defend her just because she is a female she has blue hair uses a sword a clone i don't care how much people like her they could have piked anyone over her

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
I think one representative for FE Awakening was plenty, and Robin looks to be a unique and fun character. If they were gonna add a character that replicates Marth's moves, they should've just put Roy back in.

ROYS OUR BOY!!

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
they better because Lucina brought nothing new to the table and you can't defend her just because she is a female she has blue hair uses a sword a clone i don't care how much people like her they could have piked anyone over her
I can defend her because she's one of the protagonists of FE:A and that's my favorite FE game? Isn't that enough?

TheFadedWarrior

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MortifiedPanda
Lucina is like the opposite of Roy. Roy was a stronger, slower clone of Marth. Lucina is the opposite. Faster and slightly weaker.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
It's confirmed, Lucina is Martha. So far, the only newcomer I am not a fan of at all, shoehorned just to have a female swordsmen. Sigh.
But who knows,Maybe she will be like Flaco, Wolf, Gannondorf, Lucas(AKA not full clones like Lucina) and actually have standout differences and unique moves.
Maybe she was "shoehorned" because she's a memorable character from an excellent game?

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
I can defend her because she's one of the protagonists of FE:A and that's my favorite FE game? Isn't that enough?
but we all ready got the main protagonist of FE:A she was not needed and especially if they knew good and well she was going to be a clone

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
So wait, she's basically an even clonier version of Roy. Yeah, not hype in the least for this one. Robin, was much better choice and I don't even like avatar characters.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
No, it doesn't mean that.

In the demo at least, Marth's Dair tipper wasn't a spike/meteor, but the rest of the sword was.

Even if we can trust that demo Marth will be exactly the same as the final product, if Lucina has the broadside mechanics of Marth, it would mean that she still has the spike/meteor.
Oh wow they changed it in Smash 4? Interesting. Thanks for letting me know :)

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Also, am I the only one bothered by the fact that Lucina is getting a free pass on being a clone, with people saying she is "just fine", while people won't shut up about Toon Link, despite the fact Toon Link is a veteran (so his inclusion comes with little fanfare or attention from the developers), and even though he is quite a bit more differentiated from Link than Lucina is from Marth?

Granted, I wish Toon Link was more unique, but because he is a veteran, him still being a clone was no surprise. And he at least has some different moves, and his specials at least have very different properties, and has a vastly different size/hit box to Link. Lucina is barely any different.
I am not bothered by Lucina.

And I hated how Toon Link was unchanged and I did not really think Chrom had much to offer as a character (even though I was interested in seeing how Sakurai would deal with him creatively).

So why am I not bothered? And possibly others who did not like Toon Link unmodified?

1. The other newcomer characters so far have been pushing the creative boundaries. Many high-quality characters are featured with a diverse offering of fighting styles. I am more accepting of clones now that I have seen many newcomers.

2. Customization adds to this diversity.

3. I had no problem with the Getmatsu leak, but I was hoping Rosalina was not the only character he missed (and at the time Rosalina's absence from his predictions could be explained away; the first leak only had six characters and the second leak had more; Rosalina fell in between leaks so she was no longer a spoiler).

So Robin was not only a different kind of FE character, but also (in addition to Chrom as an incorrect leak) was a poke at the Getmatsu rumor and the release of the stranglehold on Smash character speculation.

4. I think we are going to have a good deal of highly unique characters. The clones no longer bother me. (Plus clones allow another development team to more easily make DL characters if they just have to make tweaks).

Last edited:

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
I don't mind either to me its more characters. But ToonLink is different However I wish you could move around with his upB that to me is canon and the one thing that separates him from Link. Thats my only complaint. I do Like both versions of Link modded or not.

Myst

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5327-1598-3487
This is so perfect it's not even funny. I love Fire Emblem and want to play Marth, but the tipper is too hard for me to figure out. I'd play as Lucina anyway since I married her in Awakening, but this just makes it waaay easier for me.

MBakhsh

Smash Apprentice
Wait, so Sakurai basically confirms her to be an alt who happens to have her own slot , a tiny superficial detail, and people are rejoicing that she's a "unique" character??? Okay...
For now I'm still not really considering her to be an actual newcomer, as even Melee clones were far, far more differentiated. I wonder what will happen if Doc is revealed to have his own slot because he shoots pills...people will be screaming about how Mario shouldn't have 6 characters. xD

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Which makes it fine to do nothing unique with the character? If anything, that's more insulting.
It's proper representation, Lucina's pretty much a Marth clone on the game itself!

Top Bottom