• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - July 15th

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
Wait, so Sakurai basically confirms her to be an alt who happens to have her own slot , a tiny superficial detail, and people are rejoicing that she's a "unique" character??? Okay...
...No. Sakurai said that she was her own character, period. I don't know why would you even think that.

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
Omg one semi clone n everyone cries! Ignorant if u ask me.

Crisconvor

Smash Rookie
NNID
Crisconvor
3DS FC
0705-2646-5407
To all the people who say that this confirms Dark Pit as his own character I would like to ask you to read the post more carefully. Sakurai clearly states that for a character to have their own slot they need to have differences in size (hitboxes), or different strengths. I want Dark Pit as much as the next guy but, Dark Pit's design is literally just a palette swap of Pit. Also, they don't really have a difference in strength either. So I think that Dark Pit is just gonna be a palette swap that also gets a it's own voice like with the Wii Fit Trainers.

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
There is a rumor at miiverse that "August 12 next month, at corocoro they will reveal all Stages and all Characters for SSB4 3ds version. We don't know if they will do it for the Wii U."

I dunno, but it could be possible.

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
It's proper representation, Lucina's pretty much a Marth clone on the game itself!
Since when was Smash always about "proper representation", this Monday? Even if it is, Lucina is not. She is not actually an exact copy of Marth, she only imitates to be him, and unlike this game, it was not minor differences that set them apart. He appearance as a Melee clone of Marth and not a Luigified/semi-clone, I'm sorry, but it is just lazy and bland.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
So wait, she's basically an even clonier version of Roy. Yeah, not hype in the least for this one. Robin, was much better choice and I don't even like avatar characters.
At least her sword deals the same damage throughout. I would rather have that over a drunk Marth with wet noodle as a weapon

MBakhsh

Smash Apprentice
Then why did you bring up the word "alt", when she IS a separate character?
Because there's no difference....she only has her own slot. If you think that's really significant, then fine, but this is akin to Wireframe Little Mac getting his own slot and then everybody freaks out because Punch-Out gets two characters. Or, as I said earlier, Doc getting his own slot because he has pills instead of fireballs and everybody complains that Mario has "too many reps." They're almost completely identical, not just cloned, as that term has already been established as characters that have in fact been legitimately differentiated. Again, maybe having the balanced sword is substantial enough, and I can actually kinda see that depending on how it pans out, but to me I just don't count her as a new character. Just my opinion.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
I think they should look at Dr. Mario in Project M. He is a Mario alternate yet he has megavitamins instead of fireballs and his Fsmash is electric instead of fire. Shadow Queen Peach has dark/evil energy in some of her attacks and she is still an alternate. Why couldn't they do something like that for Lucina? Just give her female voice clips and done. This is just imo.

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
Because there's no difference....she only has her own slot. If you think that's really significant, then fine, but this is akin to Wireframe Little Mac getting his own slot and then everybody freaks out because Punch-Out gets two characters.
Um, what? Sakurai never said Wireframe Little Mac's getting his own slot. Just a costume for Little Mac... *sigh* If you're comparing that to Lucina getting her own slot, then that's a really bad comparison you just made.

Why couldn't they do something like that for Lucina?
Because it wouldn't make any sense, since that Marth and Lucina have different character and personality.

Last edited:

MBakhsh

Smash Apprentice
Um, what? Sakurai never said Wireframe Little Mac's getting his own slot. Just a costume for Little Mac... *sigh* If you're comparing that to Lucina getting her own slot, then that's a really bad compasion you just made.
Sorry, I meant this as a hypothetical scenario.

Last edited:

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Because there's no difference....she only has her own slot. If you think that's really significant, then fine, but this is akin to Wireframe Little Mac getting his own slot and then everybody freaks out because Punch-Out gets two characters. Or, as I said earlier, Doc getting his own slot because he has pills instead of fireballs and everybody complains that Mario has "too many reps." They're almost completely identical, not just cloned, as that term has already been established as characters that have in fact been legitimately differentiated. Again, maybe having the balanced sword is substantial enough, and I can actually kinda see that depending on how it pans out, but to me I just don't count her as a new character. Just my opinion.
There is a difference, she has different sweet spots, different ht boxes, probably a different final smash, and probably a couple unique moves (we've only seen 5). And even the moves that we did see, there were speed differences and sweet spot differences.

MBakhsh

Smash Apprentice
There is a difference, she has different sweet spots, different ht boxes, probably a different final smash, and probably a couple unique moves (we've only seen 5). And even the moves that we did see, there were speed differences and sweet spot differences.

"Her physical ablilites are identical to Marth's--it must be in her D.N.A." - not seeing any unique moves happening.
"whenever there is even a small difference in abilities" - implying that she's almost identical.
"She's also a little bit shorter than Marth." - He mentions this but says absolutely nothing about more important mechanics.

Also, if we had to see five moves of Lucina's, why on Earth would the outright copy/pasted ones be shown off and not the unique ones? If she were a semi-clone then we would have probably seen some evidence of this by now, either from the trailer or from Sakurai's comments.

Oh, and even Toon Link, Lucas, Falco, and Wolf couldn't get away with a unique final smash.

Last edited:

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
"Her physical ablilites are identical to Marth's--it must be in her D.N.A." - not seeing any unique moves happening.
"whenever there is even a small difference in abilities" - implying that she's almost identical.
"She's also a little bit shorter than Marth." - He mentions this but says absolutely nothing about more important mechanics.

Also, if we had to see five moves of Lucina's, why on Earth would the outright copy/pasted ones be shown off and not the unique ones? If she were a semi-clone then we would have probably seen some evidence of this by now, either from the trailer or from Sakurai's comments.

Oh, and even Toon Link, Lucas, Falco, and Wolf couldn't get away with a unique final smash.
Yes she's a clone, but you said there are no differences in an earlier post, even though there is. He even states that Marths sweet spot is at the tip of the sword while Lucinas sword is equally strong no matter where you hit with it. And yes you are right about the final smash, but we don't know for sure yet so we'll just have to wait.

MBakhsh

Smash Apprentice
Yes she's a clone, but you said there are no differences in an earlier post, even though there is. He even states that Marths sweet spot is at the tip of the sword while Lucinas sword is equally strong no matter where you hit with it. And yes you are right about the final smash, but we don't know for sure yet so we'll just have to wait.
That's true. The problem is that I just don't think that's enough; it seems more like a customization option even though it's not. What if she were actually a tipper and so the only difference is that she's a little shorter which makes her a little bit harder to hit? Can she still be considered unique then? The issue is where to draw the line, and for me I'm not quite as lenient as others.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
That's true. The problem is that I just don't think that's enough; it seems more like a customization option even though it's not. What if she were actually a tipper and so the only difference is that she's a little shorter which makes her a little bit harder to hit? Can she still be considered unique then? The issue is where to draw the line, and for me I'm not quite as lenient as others.
From the trailer, her moves also seemed to have less lag than Marth, so she seems to be faster. Since her not having the tip mechanic is confirmed, I don't think that's customizeable. And Marth's air game has been nerfed, so I'm guessing that she will have better aerials than Marth.

Top Bottom