• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - April 29th

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Well, now Link has one of the best recoveries again. And let me just say that is a long reach they got.

Last edited:

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Recovery wasn't probably even Links worst issue in Brawl. He is crap in so many ways it's not even funny. A better recovery helps but he needs plenty of buffs overall to be decent.

SleepiEJeen

Smash Rookie
NNID
sleepiejeen
I like that Nintendo tries to shake things up with their games. For better or worse there's still fun to be had.

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
I think this PotD presents an interesting scenario where two opponents tether for the same ledge. Judging from how the new ledge mechanics work, the character who grabs the ledge second will trump the ledge grab. I can imagine both players trying to stall in the air before grabbing the ledge, which I think can lead to interesting strategies.

Theorycrafting aside, I'm just glad there's a Link buff.

proxibomb

Smash Clown
Too bad Olimar's recovery changed. Now he is going to miss out on this cool updated feature.

Olimar: Sakurai, why you tease me?

Sakurai: :troll:
I'd rather have the flying pikmin over his pikmin grabbing the ledge. It's all about opinions I guess. A lot of characters seem to be getting better recoveries now - which is good in my book.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Except tethers were also in Brawl, so he was obviously talking about the new length and shared edges attribute of the tethers. You know, the only TWO NEW THINGS in this screenshot that were exclusive to Project M thus far.
I fail to see how he is the idiot.

I was referring to how tether characters in Melee can grab the stage in Melee even if someone was grabbing the ledge.

Project M has that changed to the ledge.

I am calling him an idiot because it's a similar physic to what exists in Melee, and to debunk the thought that Sakurai is copying Project M.

Which that guy I quoted was inferring to.

Fumevapor

Smash Rookie
NNID
Fumezero
3DS FC
1392-7338-9644
This game is taking so much inspiration from Project M. There are way too many coincidences now.
That's because people who worked on Brawl are now in the PMBR, and now that they know how to make a successful smash game, they decided to make it like Project M instead of brawl, I mean come on, who likes Brawl?

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Same here.

As for Link's up-b, you can see him use it when they are talking about Smash Run on the Smash Direct. Seems to have a similar distance to his Brawl Recovery, unfortunately.
Actually, we have no definitive proof it's going to be the same as his Brawl recovery; the speed at which the spins go is between the games. Plus, Link barely moves at all in the air when he did the recovery, so there's no definitive knowledge on this.

Hoping they will make it to where Link's recovery move transitions to his tether (you know where I'm getting at, hehe).

2ndComing

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LazyAnmtoR
lmao

1. Since when has Link ever been a floaty?
2. Are you implying that he ever had a good recovery in any official Smash game?
3. Of course you haven't played P:M. I'm sitting here wondering if you've ever played any Smash game at all.

With all that aside, I'm glad to see Link and other tether characters are getting buffs to their recovery. I bet Link's up-b is still going to be trash, though :/
When replying to someone, regardless of the comment. It is important to not be a douche as it ruins the point you are trying to make. If Link was floaty to him fine whatever, he isn't but that doesn't mean im gonna question him and be a douche at the same time

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
What's the deal with those wires connecting Link and Samus?
Okay, enough of that joke; they aren't wires, it's the stage background.
But a true question to ask is...why does it look like Link's holding his hat?

When replying to someone, regardless of the comment. It is important to not be a douche as it ruins the point you are trying to make. If Link was floaty to him fine whatever, he isn't but that doesn't mean im gonna question him and be a douche at the same time
Even to I, Link has been floaty in Brawl, since comparing him to Smash64 and Melee, he's definitely more floaty. It's due to the slow pacing of the game that makes it feel like he's that way; though he may not be floatier than other characters by a standard, he's still seems like that.

But looking at some things in Smash Bros. 4, especially the direct, his air speed seems to have been buffed and his fall speed seems to be a tiny bit faster; a small compensation for the probable air speed buff, I should say.

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
Link was my Main in the first smash and I dropped him because I think he wasn't good in certain aspects, so I picked up Ness and Mario. Then when Melee release, I picked Link up again and he improved since the 64 version but I ended up dropping him and went full time Mario. I was kinda disappointed in Ness in Melee. Then Brawl was released and I decided to give Link a try again and was even more disappointed, so I just went full time Mario again. Project M, Link was so much better and he became my main again alongside Mario, Ness, and Sonic. I just hope this new game, Link gets the boost that he deserves. I still have hope for him!

KidKrimzon

Smash Cadet
NNID
KidKrimzon
projectM is not nintendo's physics code
smash 4 is NOT projectM's copy and paste mechanics
Holy crap cool your jets, or at least change your tone/vocabulary cause you're coming off super aggressively in these replies. No one was making shots at Nintendo for using ideas that appear in Project M, we're just observing similarities. It is only conjecture that Sakurai may be endorsing ideas from the PM team, because he acknowledges their appreciation so much for the game and that they'd go as far to modify it for the competitive fan base.

itsameluigi1290

Smash Journeyman
NNID
luigitime1290
WOW that's awesome! This game is so cool with the new features and characters and everything else.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
It would actually be hilarious if a character could Z-air, grab their opponent in the air and throw them down without SDing. But at the same time, it'd be unique; and SSB4 needs to be unique.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
Glad to see tether recoveries returning. And with the implied buff, it'll be a better recovery option to the characters that have it.

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
Awesome PotD; this is good to know. I'm still confused how ledgegrabs "trump" though; maybe they're still balancing their design.

Also, it seems weird to me that Link's Clawshot isn't actually grabbing the edge. You'd think with all the new graphics they could at least make it close to fit the shape of the edge.

EDIT: Maybe I'm overanalyzing, but what if the Clawshot is showing the actual grabbox of the ledge?

Last edited:

TheKmanOfSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5443-8100
Facts alone should ruin the point that any person makes, not courtesy and mannerisms. Sure, people will take you less seriously, but when they begin to prioritize those things over the actual reality, there isn't really a discussion to be had anymore. I can pull up data right now on Link's character weight/fall speed for all three games that would clearly show that he's not a floaty relative to the cast. But if you're trying to tell me that my mannerisms take priority over the actual data, then I guess I'm sorry. There's not much else I can say.

And if what I said was even remotely comparable to being a douche, then your standards of douchebaggery are extremely low.

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
its still nintendos intelectual property and coding projectm uses, it still uses the brawl engine or an engine owned by nintendo so nintendo can legally do this and if they wanted to , have every right to sue and shut down projectM so they can copy it if they want to and you nutbags cant do anything about it or attack them for it, because they can just turn around and seize all copies of projectM, and sue the PMBR and it was either they copy projectM, or just say **** the competitive players, give full attention to the casuals, BE happy they at least acknowledged us and are putting effort and trying to care, because they could have just as easily made it unbalanced, items on always online, taken away final desty and battlefield, and keep the current fully illegal stage roster, this is why I hate the competitive communities, and the one-sided nintendo fanboys they constantly ***** about who is exclusively catered to and HOW and because competitives are soo DAMN picky on how they play, and what they play on, nintendo does not really have any unique options that wont make players shout #BANNED stage, BANNED character for the whole game or 99% of the game heck they did NOT have to have a for glory mode online they could have just put a for fun mode, erm exscuse me.. CASUAL mode where its always items on
He's not talking about legal issues when it come to project M. he's talking about how nintendo probably didn't solely come up with some of the ideas that they are using that are in Project M. He's not even saying its a bad thing. If anything thats good that nintendo sees what we want.

Here is a list of things that P:M added before smash 4 announced them. sword like Graphic effects on limbs and not just weapons and claws, olimar having a higher recovery when he has less pikmin, multiple teathers to a ledge, separating pokemon trainer pokemon, charizards fair is now a claw swipe, DK geting his roll attack for his dash attack, i think sonics dair has a spike now too not sure, alt costumes*(this one is iffy cause wario had alt costumes so i'll say P:M just expounded on brawls idea). SBB4 skyoft is sort of like P:M skyloft but P:M is made for tournaments. Pikachus thunder is like brawl minus. The bigbest thing is customizable movesets thats not just attributed to P:M but the hacking community in general.

If nintendo knows their audience at all i doubt they missed how people have been moding brawl. And since P:M is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, mod I'm pretty sure they have seen it.

Also nintendo will never take legal action against Project M because. 1 it uses brawl an old IP that they plan to eclipse with smash4 and 2 Project M helps keep the smash community alive because its baically free advertisement for nintendo and it promotes buying brawl.
Taking any leagal action on anything other than pirating will hurt nintendos fanbase. They could do it but they're not going to. They're in enough hot water as it is with the WiiU.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
This game is taking so much inspiration from Project M. There are way too many coincidences now.
You speak of Project M as if it's an official game.

The developers can't be trying to improve upon their previous games, there's just no way. They're stealing ideas from Project M, whose foundation was stolen from Brawl... but this is all just coincidence.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I agree, but it's certainly a good thing! I'm open to believing that these changes are coincidence still, because they're solid design solutions when looking at the flaws of previous games.

igloo

Smash Rookie
LMAO NO WAY

Sakurai definitely playing PM on the weekends. I bet hes a Kirby main.

Also I cant wait to play at bestbuy!!!! I'm already dreading the mile long lines. Hopefully that doesn't happen tho.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
The Direct Streak is broken with some really, REALLY good news.

Zapster

Smash Apprentice
Honestly I'm really f*****g tired of hearing people complain that there aren't platforms on the For Glory stages. He took the safe route by removing them, and FD is generally a popular choice, so it's fine by me.
lol you're the only one complaining

2ndComing

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LazyAnmtoR
Facts alone should ruin the point that any person makes, not courtesy and mannerisms. Sure, people will take you less seriously, but when they begin to prioritize those things over the actual reality, there isn't really a discussion to be had anymore. I can pull up data right now on Link's character weight/fall speed for all three games that would clearly show that he's not a floaty relative to the cast. But if you're trying to tell me that my mannerisms take priority over the actual data, then I guess I'm sorry. There's not much else I can say.

And if what I said was even remotely comparable to being a douche, then your standards of douchebaggery are extremely low.
I am just saying that rudeness ruins your point and and im not directly calling you it, so I suggest you go look at my comment again because I didn't not once say that you where. You don't have to insult someone just to get something simple and pointless like this. People will look past your data because of the way you portray yourself

I could care less about Link's fall speed, I play him as like a third and I know he is heavy as hell.

Last edited:
Top Bottom