• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - April 29th

Smashboards

18 years old!
Administrator
Premium
Writing Team
Smash Wii U & 3DS director Masahiro Sakurai says "Pic of the day. Tether recovery? Yes, you can! And from even longer range than before. Multiple fighters can latch on--who actually grabs hold is determined by the same rules as the standard ledge grab."

Byxis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Byxis7
3DS FC
4656-8308-4770
This game is taking so much inspiration from Project M. There are way too many coincidences now.

TingleZC

Smash Cadet
Looks like Link will actually be able to recover this time around.

I approve.

YorKeY

Smash Cadet

Last edited:

Sir Skaro

Smash Apprentice
If Lucas makes it into this game, his snake is going to need some serious physical therapy after a couple tether recoveries.

TingleZC

Smash Cadet
He was one of the most floaty characters in the game. What are you talking about, haven't played project M though.
I hope you're not referring to brawl, as he was a moderately heavy / fast falling character in it. His Up-B and Tether aren't the great either...

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
He was one of the most floaty characters in the game. What are you talking about, haven't played project M though.
What even? Link was by no means floaty (at least by Bwarl's standards) and his recovery was complete and utter trash.

Last edited:

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Warning Received
This game is taking so much inspiration from Project M. There are way too many coincidences now.
You idiot, this is similar to Melee, where tethers grab the stage sides.

TheKmanOfSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5443-8100
lmao

1. Since when has Link ever been a floaty?
2. Are you implying that he ever had a good recovery in any official Smash game?
3. Of course you haven't played P:M. I'm sitting here wondering if you've ever played any Smash game at all.

With all that aside, I'm glad to see Link and other tether characters are getting buffs to their recovery. I bet Link's up-b is still going to be trash, though :/

TingleZC

Smash Cadet
With all that aside, I'm glad to see Link and other tether characters are getting buffs to their recovery. I bet Link's up-b is still going to be trash, though :/
Same here.

As for Link's up-b, you can see him use it when they are talking about Smash Run on the Smash Direct. Seems to have a similar distance to his Brawl Recovery, unfortunately.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Longer range for tethers and multiple characters being able to grab without getting edge hogged? Hellz yeah!

I preferred the system in Brawl. Nothing was more satisfying than edgehoging someone with only your Zair.

Byxis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Byxis7
3DS FC
4656-8308-4770
Correlation does not imply causation.
The fact that Sakurai assumes that most competitive players love Final Destination and only play on that while making seemingly featureless FD clone stages seems too perfect of a timing that matches PM's altered stages(I've no clue why he didn't add platforms). I can't ignore that.

Last edited:

Gombukelp

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai actually mentioned in an older pic of the day that you could trump other people's ledge grabs in some way. I wonder if the characters who can tether grab could possibly be deadlier opponents now on ledges due to the changes he has made.

Pic of the day. Jan 22, 2014:

"Pic of the day. There are many changes being made to attack and defense options for grabbing edges. In this picture, Link is actually trumping Mario's grab.

Some other changes include:

-Air time and accumulated damage will determine your period of invincibility while hanging on an edge.

-Grab controls will no longer be affected by whether you have above or below 100% damage."

From what I have read so far I'm really digging the changes he is making to the ledge tech and recovery options but I won't be able to tell for sure until I see actual gameplay. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
The fact that Sakurai assumes that most competitive players love Final Destination and only play on that while making seemingly featureless FD clone stages seems too perfect of a timing that matches PM's altered stages(I've no clue why he didn't add platforms). I can't ignore that.
It's not that difficult to see that Final Destination is picked a lot on Wi-Fi. If he was copying off PM, he would have allowed Battlefield on For Glory Mode or even allowed some stages to have a Battlefield version...or just have hazards optional (turned off during For Glory) and make large stages smaller during For Glory. Honestly, there will be changes within each iteration that will somewhat change gameplay. Some of these changes will be to address issues from previous games. It wouldn't be surprising to have similar changes to a mod made by the fanbase. Even if he knew of PM's existence, we would never know since he would legally not be allowed to talk about it anyways.

As for the tether recovery in this game, it seems to be a mix of Melee and Brawl since you can have more than one tether on one side in Melee while Brawl is automatically homing in on the ledge. Making the tether's longer is a nice change, but I doubt Rope Snake would extend that long if Lucas returns.

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
Too bad Olimar's recovery changed. Now he is going to miss out on this cool updated feature.

Olimar: Sakurai, why you tease me?

Sakurai: :troll:

Last edited:

OptimistNic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OptimistNic
3DS FC
4682-8455-3463
Honestly I'm really f*****g tired of hearing people complain that there aren't platforms on the For Glory stages. He took the safe route by removing them, and FD is generally a popular choice, so it's fine by me.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Honestly I'm really f*****g tired of hearing people complain that there aren't platforms on the For Glory stages. He took the safe route by removing them, and FD is generally a popular choice, so it's fine by me.
I wasn't really complaining about the lack of platforms...just saying there would be some if he was copying from Project M. I don't really mind the lack of platforms.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Does this mean that my man Link will finally be able to come back to the stage?? Too bad he'll probably end up being clobbered on stage...

BladeOFLucas

Smash Journeyman
Now he's got me wondering how it will work if two Link's, or two Samus's, tether at the same time, zoom in to the ledge at the same time, and have the same percent, does one get the ledge and the other jump up over him? Or will it be uber sensitive to which one arrives first, and the one who is second falls to their death.

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
Same here.

As for Link's up-b, you can see him use it when they are talking about Smash Run on the Smash Direct. Seems to have a similar distance to his Brawl Recovery, unfortunately.
Actually, in a gameplay clip from the Direct you can see him going considerably higher than in Brawl. It looked like Toon Link-distance

SuperHyperMegaTurbo

Smash Cadet
I looked at these comments, expecting people to be yelling "Project: M!" at the top of their lungs. I was only slightly disappointed. But really, this seems incredibly similar to the way tethers were implemented there...

On a more analytic note, if one character is already grabbing the ledge in P:M, and another uses a tether to get back, they kinda just jump through the other character: but what will happen in Smash 4? It is said that the standard ledge rules apply... So the second one to reach the ledge will probably push the other off, if they have the right timing. This seems fairly certain. But what happens if they don't "trump" the other character's ledge grab? Do they hop onto the stage itself, or have a bad time because they can't grab the ledge?

Now he's got me wondering how it will work if two Link's, or two Samus's, tether at the same time, zoom in to the ledge at the same time, and have the same percent, does one get the ledge and the other jump up over him? Or will it be uber sensitive to which one arrives first, and the one who is second falls to their death.
Two words: port priority. That's how "same-frame" ties have been resolved in past entries of Smash, generally. The only questions are who gets the short end of the stick, and whether it means death for them.

Last edited:

NewGuy79

Smash Journeyman
this is great news, the distance on that tether tho looks really big. makes me wonder though how Zero suites tethers will work, if she still has her normal side b having it reach out that far might prove to be a little op

Last edited:

tbtechwiz

Smash Apprentice
its still nintendos intelectual property and coding projectm uses, it still uses the brawl engine or an engine owned by nintendo so nintendo can legally do this and if they wanted to , have every right to sue and shut down projectM so they can copy it if they want to and you nutbags cant do anything about it or attack them for it, because they can just turn around and seize all copies of projectM, and sue the PMBR and it was either they copy projectM, or just say **** the competitive players, give full attention to the casuals, BE happy they at least acknowledged us and are putting effort and trying to care, because they could have just as easily made it unbalanced, items on always online, taken away final desty and battlefield, and keep the current fully illegal stage roster, this is why I hate the competitive communities, and the one-sided nintendo fanboys they constantly ***** about who is exclusively catered to and HOW and because competitives are soo DAMN picky on how they play, and what they play on, nintendo does not really have any unique options that wont make players shout #BANNED stage, BANNED character for the whole game or 99% of the game heck they did NOT have to have a for glory mode online they could have just put a for fun mode, erm exscuse me.. CASUAL mode where its always items on

projectM is not nintendo's physics code
smash 4 is NOT projectM's copy and paste mechanics

[removed , site doesnt update threading reliably]\

Last edited by a moderator:

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
You idiot, this is similar to Melee, where tethers grab the stage sides.
Except tethers were also in Brawl, so he was obviously talking about the new length and shared edges attribute of the tethers. You know, the only TWO NEW THINGS in this screenshot that were exclusive to Project M thus far.
I fail to see how he is the idiot.

Top Bottom