• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Gets a "Call To Arms"

brodouble

Smash Apprentice
Melee fanboys are scared that Smash4 will kill Melee and thats the reason why they are so disgusting. They hate Smash4 and they spread the hate and negative comments everywhere. Thats the reason why the love is gone. Melee fanboys are evil and they want to kill Smash 4 but the good will triumph over evil!!!
and yet Smash 4 is killing itself.

NoviceSmasher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
akeane1697
3DS FC
3668-8892-8828
:(:(
you know what i find ironic...?

after i saw the documentary series "The Smash Brothers", I felt that one of the major points of it, besides Melee's maintained prevalence for 14+ years, was the fact that the Smash Bros series brought people together as friends and sappy stuff like that. I liked that a lot... how it didn't matter who you are, you're just another Smash Bros player. you like the game, just like the others, and you'll have no problem making friends.

now keeping all those sappy feels in mind, and then I look at ten pages of stuff like this, the complete opposite of what I've hoped to believe.

what has this world come to...? Really?
well if people are gonna come on here and attack a game i love,,im gonna defend it i dont give a **** who they are

NoviceSmasher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
akeane1697
3DS FC
3668-8892-8828
one match? no, i watched all of apex and a lot of tourneys in general. they're all usually really slow.
lol you said you hate smash 4 and then you watch alot of tourneys???,,your argument is falling apart

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
well if people are gonna come on here and attack a game i love,,im gonna defend it i dont give a **** who they are
but... the point I intended was "why attack and defend at all"? Smash is a series, each title has its own fanbase (including Brawl, as quiet as I figures they rather be), and every player has their own preference...

I don't prefer to tell people to suck it up and change their playstyle to play smash 4... and I don't do it. instead, I just decide to look at Smash 4's features, and figure "maybe I can find something that could bridge a gap." you know, try to appeal to some Melee/PM preferred friends... if they don't like it still, I'll be a bit crestfallen, but I'll respect their choice... cause, hey, I tried...:(

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
but... the point I intended was "why attack and defend at all"? Smash is a series, each title has its own fanbase (including Brawl, as quiet as I figures they rather be), and every player has their own preference...

I don't prefer to tell people to suck it up and change their playstyle to play smash 4... and I don't do it. instead, I just decide to look at Smash 4's features, and figure "maybe I can find something that could bridge a gap." you know, try to appeal to some Melee/PM preferred friends... if they don't like it still, I'll be a bit crestfallen, but I'll respect their choice... cause, hey, I tried...:(
If you need to find a new mechanic or feature that reminds someone of melee or pm just to convince them to play it then you should probably stop trying. I mean i'm all for bringing the smash community as a whole closer together but if the only way to do that is to make it play more like a specific game then people going to get offended by you suggesting that the game isn't good enough on it's own to be competitive. People in the smash community need to learn to accept change and stop looking to melee like it's some unbeatable godsend in terms of mechanics and gameplay. Those people are the reason why smash 4 is getting so much **** from people from the melee community. Sometimes people do need to just suck it up and play the game how it's played. Nobody who grew up on brawl and when back to play melee ******* about melee not playing like brawl so what gives them the right to ***** about smash 4 for not playing like melee?

NoviceSmasher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
akeane1697
3DS FC
3668-8892-8828
one match? no, i watched all of apex and a lot of tourneys in general. they're all usually really slow.
lol you said you hate smash 4 and then you watch alot of tourneys???,,your argument is falling apart
oh lawdy lawdy, RIP smash 4 hype and meta.
i have come to the conclusion that you are a troll...with little to no experience with smash 4...i doubt youve even played the game,,if you want to argue further carry on but just know that you seem to be the only person this tread hating on smash 4 atm..lol

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
If you need to find a new mechanic or feature that reminds someone of melee or pm just to convince them to play it then you should probably stop trying. I mean i'm all for bringing the smash community as a whole closer together but if the only way to do that is to make it play more like a specific game then people going to get offended by you suggesting that the game isn't good enough on it's own to be competitive. People in the smash community need to learn to accept change and stop looking to melee like it's some unbeatable godsend in terms of mechanics and gameplay. Those people are the reason why smash 4 is getting so much **** from people from the melee community. Sometimes people do need to just suck it up and play the game how it's played. Nobody who grew up on brawl and when back to play melee ******* about melee not playing like brawl so what gives them the right to ***** about smash 4 for not playing like melee?
you see, it's talk like that that goes nowhere... As derided as Brawl was, there was still folks who liked it, and when they played Melee, they saw it for what it is.

you don't need to be given the right to complain about something either. Smash 4, IMO, certainly lives up to its intent as attempting a compromise between Melee and Brawl, maintaining a majority of the latter's mechanics while upping the speed and physics slightly in the former's direction. the problem I see here is that while the developers are certainly trying to find a middle ground, very vocal minorities right here among the FANBASE are outright loathsome of compromise. there is VERY FEW things that all sides can agree on, Brawl's random tripping being one of the only unanimously disliked things...

you're right, people need to suck it up, but what they aught to do is not add fuel to the fire. someone wants to bash your tastes, fine, let them, they shouldn't be worth your time, anyways.

hell, most of this very post can be seen as such a waste... but I have my opinion to share, no hate intended, and frankly I'd like to see some real discussion or brainstorming instead of this nonsense.

NoviceSmasher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
akeane1697
3DS FC
3668-8892-8828
perfect pivoting should be implemented into everones play..it opens up so many options like..getting more range on your fsmashs to jabbing and moving away at the same time to avoid being punished.i think people are just being lazy with smash 4..

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
you see, it's talk like that that goes nowhere... As derided as Brawl was, there was still folks who liked it, and when they played Melee, they saw it for what it is.

you don't need to be given the right to complain about something either. Smash 4, IMO, certainly lives up to its intent as attempting a compromise between Melee and Brawl, maintaining a majority of the latter's mechanics while upping the speed and physics slightly in the former's direction. the problem I see here is that while the developers are certainly trying to find a middle ground, very vocal minorities right here among the FANBASE are outright loathsome of compromise. there is VERY FEW things that all sides can agree on, Brawl's random tripping being one of the only unanimously disliked things...

you're right, people need to suck it up, but what they aught to do is not add fuel to the fire. someone wants to bash your tastes, fine, let them, they shouldn't be worth your time, anyways.

hell, most of this very post can be seen as such a waste... but I have my opinion to share, no hate intended, and frankly I'd like to see some real discussion or brainstorming instead of this nonsense.
To be honest the fact that they have no right to complain but do it anyway is even worse.
perfect pivoting should be implemented into everones play..it opens up so many options like..getting more range on your fsmashs to jabbing and moving away at the same time to avoid being punished.i think people are just being lazy with smash 4..
I think it's more that they don't think it's good enough to be worth time devoting into is more the issue. Nonetheless it's still a problem because the people who think that are the main ones complaining and the ones complaining to other people and making them not want to bother either(although to be fair most of the people complaining are probably melee elitists anyway but still).

Last edited:

brodouble

Smash Apprentice

i have come to the conclusion that you are a troll...with little to no experience with smash 4...i doubt youve even played the game,,if you want to argue further carry on but just know that you seem to be the only person this tread hating on smash 4 atm..lol
are you 12?

IamError2

Smash Rookie
NNID
mrvail2
Ok so I am completely new to the Smash scene and have never been into fighting games, the only other ones I own are Street Fighter II and Mortal Kombat for my SNES, but this game is so different and fun. I am all for the competitive scene for this iteration taking off because I know I am not the only person who never thought twice about Smash because it was a fighting game. Smash 4 just looked so cool that I thought why not give it a chance. If people are able to see how much fun the game looks then they might be more inclined to grab a copy for their Wii U or even buy a Wii U just so they can play it. My only question is why the competitive community doesn't incorporate the party game atmosphere that the game brings and have more than just the flat stages, no items, 1 v 1 battles for tournament play. I realize that playing 8 player Smash with items on and opening up all possible stages is not the best way to tell who the best player is since there are so many variables that come into play when you are trying to fight multiple people at the same time and dealing with all the other hazards that come along with playing the game with its intended rules and such applied. I just feel like you could have the high level 1 v 1 competition while also having a separate bracket where people play 4 player 3-5 stock survival matches or even having crazy 8 player Smash brackets. These could be smaller sub tournaments along with the larger more competitive bracket. I just feel like this would be a blast to watch and would get more people excited about the game as it wouldn't look like any other fighter where 2 players fight off against each other on a bland stage. I will never be that good at this game but I would like to try my hand at some local tournaments and seeing if I can't win a small cash prize at some point once I've gotten good enough to hold my own. I would however be far more interested in entering a tournament where Smash was played with the more party game rules applied as this is for me anyway the vastly more fun way to play the game and might bring even more of the "casual" players into the competitive scene and subsequently bring more converts to the world of Smash as they see just how much fun it is. If all I had saw about the game was just footage of 1 v 1 matches before I got to go hands on with it, I wouldn't have even considered getting it as it would have seemed to be just like any other fighting game to me and Smash is so much more. It appeals to more people than the average fighter and I feel like the competitive scene should embrace this in some form or fashion.

Chukkaque

Smash Apprentice
prob cuz smash 4 is a bad tourney game. ally and m2k think it's even worse than brawl.
Matters of opinion honestly. I think its a great tourney game and disagree with the brawl comment.

But this is an example of my point.

"Its a bad game, I don't like it give me more melee."
There's the community support we need.

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
Matters of opinion honestly. I think its a great tourney game and disagree with the brawl comment.

But this is an example of my point.

"Its a bad game, I don't like it give me more melee."
There's the community support we need.
And yet they still play it. Am i honestly supposed to listen to a melee elitists like m2k who didn't like brawl for how unmelee-like it was.

Chukkaque

Smash Apprentice
Melee elites won't stop me from playing the game I like. Brawl came out, I moved to that and liked it more than melee. Smash 4 came out and I moved to that and I like it more than brawl and melee. Though the poor attitude of the melee community may make me pack up shop with the local work I do.

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
\\
Lol I couldn't find it so now i look dumb XD! But there is a facebook post with m2k talking about how diddy biases and all that stuff but even though it's not really relevant i'll post the link anyway. Can't believe nobody's been talking about this much or that smashboards hasn't picked up on it.
https://www.facebook.com/mewtwoking/posts/913622431989559
Just thought i'd put this here: "I totally agree with his first post. I don't play in tournaments but I regularly play against high level players. Finding ways to beat them with Pikachu is the most rewarding thing i do in all of gaming. To me, Smash is all about the meta. Learning that meta and how the game it is where the fun is. I'm not going to just shelve Pikachu and wait for a patch. What that kind of thinking leads to is what I keep seeing in streams now: Diddy vs Diddy or Sheik vs Diddy for 4 hours straight. How is that fun?"

Last edited:

IamError2

Smash Rookie
NNID
mrvail2
I don't understand how anyone can have an opinion about the tournament validity of the game when it hasn't even been out 6 months yet and compare it to a game people have been picking apart for over a decade. There is room for both at the table but this is the game that brings new people into the community and shouldn't be immediately dismissed by the Melee elite.

Last edited:

Lemonjel0

Smash Rookie
NNID
Lemonjel0
You know, people call Melee a fun game to watch, even though it's really, really, ****ing boring due to the game being the same for years. Not to mention the players that play any tournament for any game in general aren't trying to entertain you with accordions and dancing monkeys, they're trying to win. They don't give a rats *** about whether your 6-year-old mind is entertained or not as long as they're winning. There's a reason why space furries are so common in Melee people.[/
Dude, maybe it is not fun for you to watch, but you can't throw your opinion around like it is fact and should apply to the entire Smash Community. Smash 4 players need to respect Melee players and their choice of game and Melee players need to respect Smash 4 players and their game of choice. It's fine if you don't like someone or some game, but respect is a whole other thing.

Top Bottom