• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U SMASH WII U DIRECT CONFIRMED!!! - Oct.23 NA, Oct.24 EU, JP, AU

Glottis

Smash Cadet
Although this was a pretty awesome direct, i must say i'm a little dissapointed in the stage list.
I was definitely hoping for more classic stages , and alot of the new stages looks either too gimmicky and stage hazardy,
or just uninspiring and boring. And i'm kinda salty that Corneria is exclusive to 3DS, as that (and Sector Z on 64) was the
stage me and my friends always played on as kids. Here's holding out for DLC.

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
I haven't watched the thing again and I was freaking out so I didn't pay 100% attention, but saw a tweet that also seems to hint at it. That Mewtwo is free if you have both versions, but you just buy him otherwise or later. I don't know if you have to buy him twice. But I think it's stupid that characters have a price, they should always be free for Smash. BUT I don't care cause we're getting him aaaaaaaaah!

Last edited:

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
I really, REALLY hope you are not required to have a miiverse account to share stuff. I got perma banned on two accounts by a stupid troll. So I cannot make tournaments on Mario Kart 8 now.

PowerBomb

Smash Master
Okay, I'm going to be labeled as a mad kid but I go anyway.

It's great for Mewtwo fans, and I kinda liked Mewtwo (He was my most used character in Melee) but there's something that is infuriating me.

Is that it's Mewtwo alone, and that Wolf and Lucas get btfo hard.

I know it's hard to make a "new character" (Since they're recreating from scratch) but I can't help on hating this favoritism.
Mewtwo is substantially more popular than Lucas and Wolf combined. I'm pretty sure he was the most requested character in general, aside from Ridley's rather random popularity explosion.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Can anyone else confirm that Pac-Land was absent from the Stage Select screens that were shown? I didn't spot it.

So perhaps that was the Starter list, and there are even more (!) stages waiting to be unlocked (Pac-Land among them).

If so, hot damn.

Glottis

Smash Cadet
A thought just struck me!
I hope that the having to register both games to get Mewtwo is not a Club Nintendo thing.
Because Sweden does not have Club Nintendo :(
I know there are few countries this affects, but i'm getting kinda worried now...

Last edited:

SSBIx3M

Smash Apprentice
Can anyone else confirm that Pac-Land was absent from the Stage Select screens that were shown? I didn't spot it.

So perhaps that was the Starter list, and there are even more (!) stages waiting to be unlocked (Pac-Land among them).

If so, hot damn.
Yea.. It is is missing. :)
At last on the "My Music" screenshot.

Doc.Pringles

Smash Cadet
I'm not going to argue against the first paragraph since there doesn't seem to be a standalone dlc option yet, but saying that this makes modern Nintendo more greedy than the big western publishers is completely stupid.
How so? Both Ubi and EA make their 'paying' consumers go over the top to prevent piracy in the form of constant-online access, even for single-play titles. M$ was following the same path before they received backlash that likely lost them the console war.

On that note, Microsoft also forced users to purchase a Kinect, whether they have intentions on using it or not. This is directly analogous with Smash requiring both consoles/games for one DLC. Requiring both consoles for something as simple as DLC character is every bit a greedy hindrance as the above cases.

I have full faith there will be a stipulation down the road, such as paying for DLC, but that's be being optimistic and erring on the side of Nintendo understanding marketing.

Last edited:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
I still have a headache for swallowing my screams of excitement. The Hype is too real
But guys...

There's no need for a ton of Mewtwo/Ridley Threads, It's already hard to navigate because the lag

LinkNIvy

Smash Apprentice
I still have a headache for swallowing my screams of excitement. The Hype is too real
But guys...

There's no need for a ton of Mewtwo/Ridley Threads, It's already hard to navigate because the lag
And they're aaaaaaall locked <3

Shmebulock

Smash Cadet
How so? Both Ubi and EA make their 'paying' consumers go over the top to prevent piracy in the form of constant-online access, even for single-play titles. M$ was following the same path before they received backlash that likely lost them the console war.

On that note, Microsoft also forced users to purchase a Kinect, whether they have intentions on using it or not. This is directly analogous with Smash requiring both consoles/games for one DLC. Requiring both consoles is every bit a greedy hindrance as the above cases.

I have full faith there will be a stipulation down the road, such as paying for DLC, but that's be being optimistic and erring on the side of Nintendo understanding marketing.
https://twitter.com/NintendoUK/status/525415360242393088
The way they emphasize "free!" makes it seem that it will be paid DLC for people who have only one.

DeiSakuChris

Smash Apprentice
Mewtwo is substantially more popular than Lucas and Wolf combined. I'm pretty sure he was the most requested character in general, aside from Ridley's rather random popularity explosion.
And you find this normal ?

This is a slap to Wolf and Lucas fans.

It's not because that Mewtwo is more popular than Wolf and Lucas that Wolf and Lucas should be ignored.

inb4: "Smash Bros is all about fan-service" that line is disgusting.

Smash 4 has lost something magic from Brawl, the fact that it was great to see the Mother franchise having the same number of reps of franchises like Donkey Kong and Metroid, it was great to see things balanced.

And now we have 8 Mario characters, and the DLC we're getting is fan-service.

Last edited:

Lemon Girl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Maguitus
3DS FC
0147-0570-9943
Just noticed that Rosalina, Jigglypuff and Villager were called Rosetta, Purin and Murabito on the Direct so, Multi-Language confirmed, or simple overlook?

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot

It's not because that Mewtwo is more popular than Wolf and Lucas that Wolf and Lucas should be ignored.

Smash 4 has lost something magic from Brawl, the fact that it was great to see the Mother franchise having the same number of reps of franchises like Donkey Kong and Metroid, it was great to see things balanced.

Ugh...
Oh boy here we go once more...

Meelow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Meelow
Amazing Direct! Lets see what I got right!

O = Right = 16
X = Wrong = 5
? = Don't know = 3

Out of 24

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Smash is the ultimate fan-service game, what are you talking about?

Also, Bowser Junior has the best reveal trailer no contest.

Last edited:

Calibrate

Smash Apprentice
Can someone make a petition to hopefully change stupidendo the whole both versions owned policy to unlock m2?

SSBIx3M

Smash Apprentice
It looks like we can use:
○Wii U GamePad (Max 1)
○Wii Remote or Wii Remote Plus* (Max 7)
○Wii U Pro Controller (Max 7)
○Nintendo GameCube controller** (Max 8)
○Nintendo 3DS series system*** (Max 8)

* Includes expansion controllers (such as the Nunchuk or Classic Controller Pro).
** Two GameCube Controller Adapter for Wii U accessories are required to connect eight GameCube controllers (each sold separately)
*** In order to use a Nintendo 3DS as a controller, each Nintendo 3DS system must have Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS.

According to the official page:
http://www.smashbros.com/us/howto/entry10.html

Last edited:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Can someone make a petition to hopefully change stupidendo the whole both versions owned policy to unlock m2?
*SIGH*
Yeah, let's have another mindless change dot org petition because people don't think in advance.

It's almost obvious that Mew2 will be available at the eShop as a normal paid DLC but the owners of both versions will get the promotion of having it free.

Shog

Smash Ace
I don't get it: You will get Mewtwo for a small fee, while the people who bought both games get him for free. Why is that unfair? Don't you people like Calibrate think we should get something fro getting both games?

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
Not to mention that he's a completly different character and should have already been in Brawl along with many other reasons. There's no way anyone else but him should have been next in line. The DLC should have been someone else and Mewtwo should have been one of the first characters they created.

Best Mewtwo reveal reaction video.
I pretty much did the same thing.

Last edited:

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
> Implying I should be happy that my favorite character isn't returning.

It's normal to complain, "sorry" for having a different opinion than the fanbase, duh.
I didn't say anything, just "ugh"
I wasn't "Implying" anything.
I didn't say anything of that

Take your meme arrows somewhere else and quit putting **** into my mouth.

Last edited:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
I'll be honest. my only true dissapontment about the new info is that Master Core doesn't have a MASTER FOOT Form

Also, Xander Mobus did a GREAT Job narrating the direct by making it interesting with his strong voice, that man has a ton of talent.

Last edited:

Eight Melodies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DestroyerGiygas

I certainly wanted Lucas too, but dude, the Mother series only has 3 games, two of which are Japan-only, and none sold all that great. It's unfortunate but understandable why Lucas isn't playable. Plus we don't know if Mewtwo is the only DLC, Lucas and Wolf could be the next ones for all we know.

Doc.Pringles

Smash Cadet
I don't get it: You will get Mewtwo for a small fee, while the people who bought both games get him for free. Why is that unfair? Don't you people like Calibrate think we should get something fro getting both games?
We haven't seen anything stating the "small fee" part. Personally I find it more than fair for double owners to get additional content for free, but not 'exclusive' gameplay content. I'm hopeful DLC will be universal in the future. It would be stubborn for Sakurai to axe Ice Climbers due what would have led to exclusivity, but then turn around make Mewtwo exclusive for double owners.

Last edited:

Shog

Smash Ace
We haven't seen anything stating the "small fee" part. Personally I find it more than fair for double owners to get additional content for free, but not 'exclusive' gameplay content. I hopeful DLC will be universal in the future. It would be stubborn for Sakurai to axe Ice Climbers due what would have led to exclusivity, but then turn around make Mewtwo exclusive for double owners.
Nintendo of Europe mentiones the pay for Mewtwo part.

AbioFlesh

Smash Lord
The Direct was awesome but people still need something to complain about. Instead of seeing it as a cool bonus for people who bought both games they see it as an attack on Wolf/Lucas fans and $40 DLC. Whiners are the worst.
You do realize, whining is the only way you can get what you want in this industry. If it weren't for whiners we wouldn't have gotten Mewtwo back..

Top Bottom