• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash Wii U/3DS Social 7.0

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Not to be a bad person or anything, but that's how armour and weapons of different strenghts are supposed to operate in any game, so that's not really a surprise.
Even so, there are some extra things that may need to be kept in mind. Engulfing the Boko Club with fire definitely makes it more damaging, as even the weakest Bokoblins can potentially wipe out Link instantly with a burning Boko Club.

Also, some attacks may be defense piercers, completely ignoring the defense of Link's armor. I can probably see lightning strikes being an instant death for Link, no matter how much health he has.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I thought we weren't allowed to have non english thread titles?
I know it's been done before, only for a mod to quickly change it.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Let's be honest here, everyone who knows FalKoopa pretty well knew he would change the thread title to something Phanpy related when Johto Pokémon were released on Pokémon Go.

:037:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
The correct title should be:
GO out and make your Onix harder evolve your Onix. :208:

Last edited:

Knuckles the Knuckles

Here's a taste of the remedy
NNID
Dromader
BOTW just seems like a bigger version of skyward sword to me...
Thats.... I mean outside of the art style which IS very similar, and maybe one or two mechanics (starmina bar + degrading shield) BOTW is like a complete opposite of Skyward Sword in every possible way. BOTW is the most open Zelda game since the original, possibly even moreso, while Skyward is by far the most linear and claustrophobic game in the series, outside of maybe spinoffs like Crossbow Training (which isnt to say that I dislike the game as more focused design led itself to more interesting puzzles, plus I enjoyed the novelty of motion controls).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Thats.... I mean outside of the art style which IS very similar, and maybe one or two mechanics (starmina bar + degrading shield) BOTW is like a complete opposite of Skyward Sword in every possible way. BOTW is the most open Zelda game since the original, possibly even moreso, while Skyward is by far the most linear and claustrophobic game in the series, outside of maybe spinoffs like Crossbow Training (which isnt to say that I dislike the game as more focused design led itself to more interesting puzzles, plus I enjoyed the novelty of motion controls).
Twilight Princess is also heavily linear itself, since you pretty much have to complete every important event in a set order.

Knuckles the Knuckles

NNID
Dromader
Twilight Princess is also heavily linear itself, since you pretty much have to complete every important event in a set order.
Its mostly about the world itself being small and linear. TP had bunch of cities, open spaces to explore and stuff to do in-between dungeons, and while true most of it wasnt open to you right-away, it did eventually grow. Skyward is more corridor esque, though sometimes edging on Metroidvania design, but the only real open spaces are the sky, which is pretty empty and small to be honest (when compared to something similar like the sea from Wind Waker), and Skyloft, the only city in the game.

Breath of the Wild seems to be focused on being as open as possible which actually makes me nervous because either extreme can end up badly for Zelda. I didnt care much for A Link Between Worlds approach for example since I love finding items in dungeons, and now items arent even going to be as they always ware in BOTW. Im still geting it day 1 on my good ole WiiU, but I do have my doubts if this direction is the good one.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Breath of the Wild seems to be focused on being as open as possible which actually makes me nervous because either extreme can end up badly for Zelda. I didnt care much for A Link Between Worlds approach for example since I love finding items in dungeons, and now items arent even going to be as they always ware in BOTW. Im still geting it day 1 on my good ole WiiU, but I do have my doubts if this direction is the good one.
I guess the main concern right now would be the difficulty spikes, since the Lizalfos and Moblins do wield weapons that can slaughter Link with a single blow. And since none of the players who played the demos took the time to analyze those enemies, we don't exactly know how much HP they have.

We at least know that the red Bokoblins have 13 HP and typically use weaker weapons, so they're more of a nuisance than a deep threat if you fight them intelligently.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
After replaying the Metroid Prime Trilogy on Dolphin with a keyboard and mouse setup (https://www.reddit.com/r/Metroid/comments/2i4cqf/who_has_played_the_prime_trilogy_on_dolphin_with/ (worked pretty well, except Prime 3 was a little dodgy)), I can say that I want a new Metroid Prime sometime soon. I know that's probably one of the most uttered sentences from Nintendo fans since MP: C, but I feel like Nintendo really needs an IP like Prime in their active hand, so to speak, now more than ever. Hell, any FPS would be nice to see from Ninty. Maybe a Kid Icarus style, more fantasy based shooter? Feel like that would work. (It'd be like playing Hanzo for most of a game.)

Amberloo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sashaloo
3DS FC
1203-9998-9799
BOTW just seems like a bigger version of skyward sword to me...
Man, there are so many things wrong with saying this. First big thing is that Skyward Sword was very linear and very hand-holding- much more narrative driven than any other game in the series. It also has a generally more cheery and friendly aesthetic- reminding me of a Disney movie. All the while, Breath of the Wild is built to be very open-ended and has that old-school jRPG style of letting you go places even if you shouldn't go there- pick a direction and bam, just go because you want to! And while the aesthetic is very pretty like a Miyazaki movie, there's a certain sadness to it all, with it being a post-apocalyptic Hyrule with familiar sights from the previous games left forgotten in ruins. BotW goes back to the roots of Zelda where you start with nothing (there's even an old man in a red robe near the start) and you're just thrown into a hostile world of caves and ruins and are expected to forge your own path whichever way works best for you. I loved Skyward Sword a lot and the delays it kept getting were rough, but Breath of the Wild's wait and delays have been really, REALLY painful because the original Zelda was one of my very first games and it's really special to me, and Breath of the Wild is basically Nintendo saying, "Okay, let's make a big, new Zelda game in the style of Z1." (I actually am really hoping that the hidden green tunic in BotW is the same style as Z1's because it would just make so much sense.)

The changes from the conventions of the series over its entire history is definitely... a bit intimidating, but it also seems liberating to me. I do love the standard formula of finding a new item in each dungeon, and there usually being something special about each item that Link attains. But I also really look forward to the idea of being hunter-gatherer caveman Link, surviving on what you can find. I guess you could say it's a... breath of fresh air, that they're trying out some... wildly different things. I imagine this may change some things for the series moving ahead but I doubt they're dropping every convention that's been established. I think they just realized that Zelda needed something really new while also needed to go back before any kind of formula was established for the series. They're not going to ever get rid of the standards for the series that ALttP and OoT set up, but at times it's nice to drop them when they start getting stale. Let them try some new stuff with Zelda for the next several years and I guarantee we'll see a new ALttP/OoT style game when people realize how much they've missed it.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I should visit the thread more. :ohwell:

-----------------------

While I'm not getting the game any time soon (too broke), BoTW does look refreshing. Besides breaking from the formula, the open ended nature of the game is great for its longevity. People are still playing Skyrim even to this day, so much so that they came out with a remaster last year. If BoTW can live up to that, Nintendo has basically struck gold.

Knuckles the Knuckles

NNID
Dromader
I keep forgetting how much tutorialising there was in Skyward Sword. Its not that apparent on your first go-through, but when replaying the game on Hero Mode.... it slows things down to a crawl. Fi especially just gets insufferable.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
"There's a 98% of chance of you getting tired of my ****, Master."

Victory.IsMyDestinySSB4

Smash Journeyman
My happiness tier list (S tier has characters that I have the most fun playing against, and the bottom makes me pissed by playing against them)
S::4metaknight::4pacman::4greninja::4bowser::4ryu::4rob::4olimar::4luigi::4myfriends:
A::4wiifit::4wario::4feroy::4shulk::4pit::4darkpit::4yoshi::4gaw::4charizard:
B::4bowserjr::4dedede::4dk::4drmario::4ganondorf::4lucario::4zelda::4duckhunt::4diddy::4pikachu:
C::4jigglypuff::4lucas::4zss::4robinm::4peach::4palutena::4mewtwo::4lucina::4marth::4falco::4sheik:
D::4kirby::4ness::4falcon::4bayonetta::4mario:
E::4samus::4corrin::4littlemac:
F::4cloud:
G::4link:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I tried a mechanic modification for the Lightning item in Smash Wii U. Instead of shrinking fighters to 0.5x their normal size, their size gets reduced to 0.25x instead.

Of course, the Lightning could increase the size of the opposing fighters to 2.6875x normal size instead. The size adjustments basically have to do with altering the amount of damage that the fighters can deal. It ends up being less detrimental to acquire a Poison Mushroom than it is to be shrunk by the Lightning item, though you will scamper around rather quickly while at 0.25x normal size. Basically, the modified size scale would go as follows...

Lightning Giant: 2.6875x normal size + 2x damage dealt
Giant: 1.7x normal size + 1.56x damage dealt
Normal: Normal size + 1x damage dealt
Tiny: 0.5x normal size + 0.6x damage dealt
Lightning Tiny: 0.25x normal size + 0.5x damage dealt

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Bravely Default is a pretty fun game. I'd never have known I'd be this into 3D RPGs a few years earlier.

Also, THE MUSIC. Why is it so incredible. I never listened to calm overworld music much, but Bravely Default even manages to make that sound epic. How.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Bravely Default is a pretty fun game. I'd never have known I'd be this into 3D RPGs a few years earlier.

Also, THE MUSIC. Why is it so incredible. I never listened to calm overworld music much, but Bravely Default even manages to make that sound epic. How.
Tiz and Ringabel's special battle music are both the best.

Also the asterisk holder fight music.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I wonder why the thread title says "Beware of BoTW spoilers". People are not even allowed to post in-game footage of Breath of the Wild until March 3rd; GameXplain was permitted to show the title screen though.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I wonder why the thread title says "Beware of BoTW spoilers". People are not even allowed to post in-game footage of Breath of the Wild until March 3rd; GameXplain was permitted to show the title screen though.
Yeah, but even Andre had to wait until today to reveal them after getting BotW and the Switch on Monday.

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
Warchamp7 Warchamp7 is Smashboards affected by the cloudflare bleeding issue?

Cause afaik, this forum does uses it and I was wondering if it is affected.
Their disclosure was dangerously vague to the point that I can only say I'm not sure. Even if we were affected, there isn't any evidence (yet) the problem was known and used maliciously. Even then it only affected a very very tiny amount of requests.

It's good to change your password periodically though, so now wouldn't be a bad time to do it if it's been awhile.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
An embargo can't stop leakers from posting footage on 4chan, specially if the stolen Amazon shipment rumor is true.

Top Bottom