• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii-U/3DS Online Play: For Glory, For Fun, For eSports?

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Good to see Sakurai still supports the competitive community. I'm sure "For Glory" will have as much of an impact on the scene as Tournament Mode has!
Sometimes I wonder if Sakurai is the only one in Nintendo that could possibly be actively going against Nintendo's noncompetitive policy.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Wait a minute!... SSB5?! Isn't that too soon for 5th sequeal?! :surprised:
It's never too soon to think about the future! I hope for something special for SSB10!

Sometimes I wonder if Sakurai is the only one in Nintendo that could possibly be actively going against Nintendo's noncompetitive policy.
I couldn't tell. On one side people say "he's competitive because he made melee", on the other people say "he's a casual and because he made brawl".

Personally, I like a healthy balance between fun and competitive. It's pretty easy to see people get angry when they get too competitive. It generally angers people when a game is too hard to be able to even play it, which causes them to stop playing the game. if you're trying to make a small niche community then fine, but if you're going for a bigger audience, going purely competitive is a rather bad idea.
I'm pretty sure Sakurai is testing the waters for how casual/competitive smash should be, and he feels SSB4 is going to strike that balance.

But hey, that's just me taking some guesses on how Sakurai thinks.

NINmann01

Smash Rookie
The information in the original post isn't exactly 100% correct.
For Glory is not strictly a 1vs1 matchmaking system. Sakurai said in the direct and it is stated on the image shown for the For Glory mode, that it is primarily a ranked competitive 4 player mode with no items, that can match make 1vs1 matches.
And Final Destination isn't strictly the only stage in the mode. Most of the stages in the game have an alternate, more simplistic non-hazardous design like Final Destination, so there is variety in the lobby.

Keep in mind, custom games are entirely customizable when you are playing with your friends online. All the rules and items can be changed, and you can use custom move-sets too.

You just can't use custom Move-Sets in matchmaking.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
It's never too soon to think about the future! I hope for something special for SSB10!

I couldn't tell. On one side people say "he's competitive because he made melee", on the other people say "he's a casual and because he made brawl".

Personally, I like a healthy balance between fun and competitive. It's pretty easy to see people get angry when they get too competitive. It generally angers people when a game is too hard to be able to even play it, which causes them to stop playing the game. if you're trying to make a small niche community then fine, but if you're going for a bigger audience, going purely competitive is a rather bad idea.
I'm pretty sure Sakurai is testing the waters for how casual/competitive smash should be, and he feels SSB4 is going to strike that balance.

But hey, that's just me taking some guesses on how Sakurai thinks.
There is something that people often fail to credit Sakurai for: Kid Icarus Uprising, a game which can be easy for people who just want to have fun or extremely difficult for the ones who look for a challenge along with an achievement system and a deep weapon creation system. That is a good example of a game that stands between casual and hardcore play. You could lower the difficulty and make your adventure a walk through the park ORRRRRR play on a high difficulty and get ready to be mauled; and if you lose the game lowers your difficulty and basically tells you "What, you don't want me to lower your difficulty? Well, you should have thought that before you died, sucker!!" which encourages players to play a chapter without dying.

Besides, Brawl was made 6 years ago, the guy who directed that game is no longer the same one who is making this one. Everyone learns from their experiences in a six year span. So I believe that just like KI:U, this game will manage to make it's place to satisfy both sides.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Na, Iwata specifically stated (iirc) that he wanted Pokemon to be able to be played competitively, so Sakurai isn't the only one. I think it's a movement that Nintendo may potentially begin to join, having games that can appeal to both parties is a really nice (and actually, although the idea seems simple, it's actually kind of new due to the way we used to think about how games could only appeal to one or the other and also the limitations of games of the time. Tbh even though I recognise his efforts in it, I believe Melee's balance of casual appeal and competitive appeal was largely co-incidental, due to the idea behind smash as a whole and thus the structure of how the characters had to be constrcuted as well as Sakurai's intent.

Also, as for Sakurai having people read stuff on the boards and the like, nothing has ever been confirmed but i've heard a multitude of rumours and ideas on the subject.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It's not the Melee community that separates us, but posts like yours to be honest. You tried to convey a positive message, but ended up ruining it by calling them all "unskilled, neanderthals, and idiots". If we're to make any progress as a whole community, the first step we've got to do is to stop doing this. Some people prefer Melee's fast-paced gameplay, while others prefer Brawl's slower-pace. You're to expect this when reading a competitive forum, since Sakurai himself had said that Melee was his masterpiece but too competitive, which is why he designed Brawl for casuals and not competition.

Also, wavedashing wasn't a glitch, and Sakurai knew it was there before the game was even released. He was the one who decided it should stay in, so flaming about it is like flaming at Sakurai for making the game the way it was.
Technically, wave dashing is still a glitch, albeit a well received one.

If a developer finds a glitch and leaves it in the game, that's still a glitch, regardless of how good it is.

Another example is the Infinite Wall Jump in Mega Man X. That was a glitch, but was kept as the developers thought it was fun.

I'm not trying to put down wavedashing, but even if it was left in the game intentionally, it was created unintentionally, which still makes it a glitch. Glitches are unintended results formed from coding. Wavedashing was an unintended result, but they decided not to fix it, because it didn't do any harm. This actually happens a lot in game's development.

TheRage

Smash Apprentice
Technically, wave dashing is still a glitch, albeit a well received one.

If a developer finds a glitch and leaves it in the game, that's still a glitch, regardless of how good it is.

Another example is the Infinite Wall Jump in Mega Man X. That was a glitch, but was kept as the developers thought it was fun.

I'm not trying to put down wavedashing, but even if it was left in the game intentionally, it was created unintentionally, which still makes it a glitch. Glitches are unintended results formed from coding. Wavedashing was an unintended result, but they decided not to fix it, because it didn't do any harm. This actually happens a lot in game's development.
Well I wouldn't necessarily call it a glitch, but rather an unintended result of the game's air dodge physics. Since air-dodging can be directed diagonally into the ground, it is no surprise that any character performing the move would slide when hitting the ground. Since Sakurai saw that there was no innate problem with this "wavedashing" in it of itself, it was left in--not as a glitch but as a benign side-effect of air-dodging diagonally into the ground.

So for Sakurai's crew, it was easier at the time to leave wavedashing in Melee rather than changing the entire air-dodge physics themselves.

Last edited:

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
From my understanding, glitches/bugs are oversights in the code that developers didn't intend on leaving in the game, hence debugging being a term to 'get rid of glitches/bugs'. The fact that they found it during development, thought it was nice and left it in, which means it wasn't taken out by debugging, changes it from a glitch/bug into something else. They liked it, and decided it should be a part of the game, so now it's no longer a glitch, it's an actual intended feature.

Saying it's a glitch feels to me like saying that inventing a new dish due to making a mistake with your original one shouldn't be called an original recipe, but a mistake regardless.

Sadly, for lack of a better source, here's the wiki article.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
From my understanding, glitches/bugs are oversights in the code that developers didn't intend on leaving in the game, hence debugging being a term to 'get rid of glitches/bugs'. The fact that they found it during development, thought it was nice and left it in, which means it wasn't taken out by debugging, changes it from a glitch/bug into something else. They liked it, and decided it should be a part of the game, so now it's no longer a glitch, it's an actual intended feature.

Saying it's a glitch feels to me like saying that inventing a new dish due to making a mistake with your original one shouldn't be called an original recipe, but a mistake regardless.

Sadly, for lack of a better source, here's the wiki article.
No, a glitch is simply something that is an unintended result of a line of code, even if it's just a side effect. Being left in the game intentionally after it's found does not change how it was spawned. Wavedashing is a glitch. This is not to undermine it's value or how good it is for the game, it's just what it actually is.

It's comparable to how a lot of great scientific discoveries occur by accident or through carelessness.

NFTsmasher

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shoob24
No, a glitch is simply something that is an unintended result of a line of code, even if it's just a side effect. Being left in the game intentionally after it's found does not change how it was spawned. Wavedashing is a glitch. This is not to undermine it's value or how good it is for the game, it's just what it actually is.

It's comparable to how a lot of great scientific discoveries occur by accident or through carelessness.
Wavedashing is an exploit of the physics engine and taking advantage of how you can air dodge in any direction.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Wavedashing is an exploit of the physics engine and taking advantage of how you can air dodge in any direction.
Which still constitutes as a glitch. It's an oversight of the dev team, that was left there in the end. "Physics Exploits" are merely a type of glitch.

Last edited:

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Which still constitutes as a glitch. It's an oversight of the dev team, that was left there in the end. "Physics Exploits" are merely a type of glitch.
No they're not. Abusing physics to get something is not a glitch, it's just abuse. A glitch is an unintended and unanticipated result, like freezing characters while grabbing under the right conditions. Sliding on the ground because characters slide when they land on the direction they're moving, and airdodging into the ground because airdodging gives you a lot of horizontal momentum, will obviously cause you to slide on the floor. It's how the physics for the game work, there's no glitch there. It's like finding out you can infinite bomb jump in Metroid Prime if you tjme your morph ball bombs just right; it's not a glitch, you're taking the actual mechanic that works just fine, and abusing it in ways the developers didn't expect.

Last edited:

Ulti-Bman

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0318-7834-6568
Just watch for glory be the only place you can remove items because Sakurai got butthurt playing brawl online. For those of you that dont remember a year or two ago he went online with brawl and saw everyone taunt partying, but he was more insulted by them not using items. He already addressed the taunt match players directly by saying they'll be banned for their tactics, I wouldn't put it past him to be a complete casual and remove the ability to turn off items now.
He stated that players could "set the rules however they'd like to" when playing with friends online/offline.

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
A glitch is a unintended result of a error in programming causing the game to react in ways not intended. Wavedashing is exploiting the characters traction when you airdodge into the ground at a low angle. Everyone has a set and different traction. This can be seen by Luigi or ice climbers if you run and then try to come to a sudden stop, they will slide. Wavedashing abuses this by airdodging into the ground to exploit the traction of the character, this is why everyone has different wavedash distances.

There is no glitch, glitch and exploit are two different things that are often used in the same sentence. You can EXPLOIT a GLITCH but a exploit is not neccesarily a glitch and is NOT a glitch by exact definition. By example, You can exploit someone for money, or sex, or you can exploit them for free things, or exploit someones kindness for shelter.

Everything I said is fact son, sorry you're so wrong. :laugh:

Top Bottom