• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii-U/3DS Online Play: For Glory, For Fun, For eSports?

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
A common question among Smash fans alike was if the fourth installment of the series would be mindful of the competitive audience, and we may have found an early answer with Sakurai's latest reveal. This weeks Nintendo Direct conference was a huge moment for Smash Bros. fans worldwide, but what really stood out for the competitive community was their first tangible acknowledgment from Nintendo in the game-play mechanics of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U & 3DS.

This came in the form of “For Glory,” an online versus mode dedicated to one-on-one battles with no items and Final Destination(or Final Destination clones) as the only playable stages. Wins and losses will be recorded to your own unique player tag, with a ranking system that Sakurai briefly mentioned as well. This is a noticeable improvement from the wifi features of Super Smash Bros. Brawl and appears to be Nintendo's way of accommodating to the tournament goers of the series. According to Sakurai, players of this mode "probably spent a lot of time on Final Destination in previous titles." Sakurai also introduced a "For Fun" mode, aiming towards the recreational Smash fan. This mode will feature random stages(without Final Destination included), items, and does not count towards the ranking system. Sakurai concluded that "I hope we can create an online environment where everyone can enjoy themselves".

While it may not be the same as typical tournament rule-sets, "For Glory" still deserves acknowledgement for Nintendo's efforts to reach their hardcore fan base.

Considering Nintendo's relationship with the competitive community in the past, this year has been a huge step towards building a future for the game's tournament scene. With Nintendo giving their blessing to major events such as MLG Anaheim and EVO 2014 for streaming rights, the future for Smash Bros. in eSports looks bright. Smash is one of the best selling fighting-game franchises of all time--if Nintendo chose to invest into the tournament scene, the results would be explosive. “For Glory” could potentially be the mark of Nintendo's first step towards reaching out to the competitive audience in Smash 4. We have seen with Riot Games’ “League of Legends Championship Series” what developer support can do to elevate a competitive community, so this is definitely exciting news for hopeful enthusiasts of the Smash series.

EVO 2013 broke online stream viewership records with their Melee event, imagine how big an official Nintendo tournament could be; especially if we can bridge the gap between competitive and casual players.

Regardless of how things play out in the future, this is certainly a step in the right direction towards uniting a beloved gaming icon with some of it's most passionate fans. "For Glory" might just be a simple ruleset modification, but perhaps the Big N is leading onto something bigger here. The tournament scene for Smash Bros. has recently been growing exponentially through community inspired efforts, so it will be interesting to see how Smash 4 will mesh recreational fans with competitive events. At least we now know that Nintendo is actively working to cater to both the casual and competitive crowd.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS is slated for a summer 2014 release, with Super Smash Bros. for Wii U following up this winter.

Sources: http://www.polygon.com, http://www.smashbros.com/us/

---- T.O. Joe is an eSports lover and FGC competitor/content creator. He's a fan of the finer things in life, like jump cancel shines and Metaknight's glide. You can find him on twitter @TorontoJoeSSB

Last edited:

MLGF

Smash Lord
Sure, it's not perfect and I'd hate it if people assume that's how tournaments work but it's better.
When LEFFEN seems happy about something and tells people to stop whining, I'll just deal with it.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Not only that, but the mode is still subject to change, as the game's still in development. It could change for the better, but I doubt for the worse (it would imply removing options or setting limitations, and with Nintendo revealing the mode as it is now, I don't see that happening).

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
It would be cool if they would include an option for FD or Battlefield, but I'll take whatever we can get. The fact that Sakurai is even giving us a "competitive" online option baffles me to no end. I've got to commend him for trying.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
What is sad is that it makes me think that they do not understand competitive smash fully when they still assume that we only play on FD, lol.

Still, while I'm not exactly thrilled about this game, I think it has some good ideas. With a fast gameplay and advanced tech, I could consider trying it, but otherwise, it's sadly not my cup of tea.

Last edited:

Masterphailure

Smash Cadet
I'm glad Nintendo is actually acknowledging competitive Smash. We should appreciate the work they're putting in and try to communicate our wishes for a better mode online. The smash community has made a difference before, I'm sure we can work together to make this mode the best it can be.

iLLuMinati_EYE

Smash Apprentice
i praise this for glory mode but damn nintendo missed out on other things they could have done with this mode for example adding a ranking system rewarding players when they win by leveling up and putting a symbol next to their name just so you have some incentive to play for glory mode. I also wish they did the same for 2v2's u invite your buddy you both rank up from each win

PZ

Smash Lord
You would be suprised how often FD is chosen online for brawl in comparison to the other stages. We may not do that anymore but I know my friends still believe choosing FD is better than choosing a stage with hazards or things that can be abused in some way.

Gombukelp

Smash Apprentice
I am really glad that Sakurai decided to implement this mode in the game. It shows that he cares but at the same time he like many others still seem to be under the impression that FD is the only stage for us and that it's seen as the "standard stage" for competitive play.

Something that I feel would make this even better was if there at least was an option for a Battlefield setup as well. I'm sure allot of competitive players would agree with me on this for many reasons.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Smash Lord
I wonder if there's still time to convince them to speed up the game a bit / add advanced tech from Melee. I want to love official Smash again so badly.

I do love the removal of tether recoveries however.

Last edited:

Renji64

Smash Lord
Happy we get some love but can we at least get BF or just all stages and no stage hazards. Stage variety is one aspect that keeps it fun.

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
This is a massive step forward and I applaud it. I wonder if through updates we could possibly get an implemented stage list and maybe even a king of the hill mode and tournament mode with all online players. Matches would occur separately and then when players were waiting for one bracket section to finish, they could go watch the match as it was happening, then the following bracket sections would occur and so on.
Sakurai. One thing. Voice chat. Please! I shouldn't have to Skype people to talk to them. :/

Last edited:

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
The way I see it, Sakurai chose FD versions because on the data he gathered from online play in Brawl, the most played stage was Final Destination.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Sakurai wouldn't know about BF being the other starter though. Just like how the vast majority of SWF doesn't know how to access the japanese Smash website or even read it/reply in it, Sakurai is the same for SWF. I hope he does though, but I find it understandable if it isn't added.

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
Sakurai wouldn't know about BF being the other starter though. Just like how the vast majority of SWF doesn't know how to access the japanese Smash website or even read it/reply in it, Sakurai is the same for SWF. I hope he does though, but I find it understandable if it isn't added.
I'm sure he will notice after a plethora of people start pleading him to add it as am option. The Wii U and 3DS both can update games now which leaves tons of room for improvements or fixes if any are needed. There is no excuse.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I'm sure he will notice after a plethora of people start pleading him to add it as am option. The Wii U and 3DS both can update games now which leaves tons of room for improvements or fixes if any are needed. There is no excuse.
What plethora of people? People typing in SWF aren't exactly communicating with Sakurai.

Eskelsen

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eskelsen
I am really content with all the online modes and features, especially For Glory mode, that is exactly what Smash needed for their online. My one and only gripe, like most people, is that FD is the only available stage it'd be nice to have choices like BF and what not but its still a great start. In my opinion its better to have only FD than to just have random wacky stages that aren't meant to be all that serious.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
I think given how For Glory is for moreso the passionate smash fans, we could start a petition or even send ideas to Sakurai (Nintendo to translate at most) for what we want i.e stages such as battlefield and smashville - or even give a few platforms to the pseudo-destinations to mix up the fight.

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
Just watch for glory be the only place you can remove items because Sakurai got butthurt playing brawl online. For those of you that dont remember a year or two ago he went online with brawl and saw everyone taunt partying, but he was more insulted by them not using items. He already addressed the taunt match players directly by saying they'll be banned for their tactics, I wouldn't put it past him to be a complete casual and remove the ability to turn off items now.

Djent

Smash Champion
Seeing as that we don't have to use the FG ruleset in tournaments, I see nothing bad coming of this. We got our existence acknowledged, we got a vastly better (though obv. not perfect) online mode, and we got the developer's admittance that items-off is a valid choice. I don't know why people are still unhappy...actually I do: they'll never be happy.

Last edited:

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
What plethora of people? People typing in SWF aren't exactly communicating with Sakurai.
You mean to tell me they don't have people looking at this site and other community forums? People are paid to do that. Smash Bros. Is one of Nintendo's flagship titles. I'm pretty sure he'll notice through people eventually.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I'm personally happy that rankings were avoided in favor of simple W/L and match-making in the background. Honestly rankings are only good for the purpose of match-making if you ask me.

For Glory's "all FD all the time" route makes sense as well, though I'm not saying I'm totally on board with it. But, think about the stage decision process we have in the competitive community for a second. It's pretty damn ridiculous to expect Sakurai to run the risk of picking a "safe" list that many would have disagreed with much more strongly.

At least with all FD, there won't be the potential stage that "shouldn't be there."

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
You mean to tell me they don't have people looking at this site and other community forums? People are paid to do that. Smash Bros. Is one of Nintendo's flagship titles. I'm pretty sure he'll notice through people eventually.
No they don't, I've never read or heard of such a thing with Smash. Where's your proof that they do?

And even if they do, they would go directly to the japanese website instead. It's just how it works.

KillJay

Smash Cadet
NNID
K0maeda
3DS FC
0361-6214-0350
Just watch for glory be the only place you can remove items because Sakurai got butthurt playing brawl online. For those of you that dont remember a year or two ago he went online with brawl and saw everyone taunt partying, but he was more insulted by them not using items. He already addressed the taunt match players directly by saying they'll be banned for their tactics, I wouldn't put it past him to be a complete casual and remove the ability to turn off items now.
I doubt he would take it that drastically.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Why? Just because the Smash 4's speed is a combination of Melee & Brawl, doesn't mean Fox will become the most useful character all over again like they did with him in Melee.
Because no items, Final Destination

The second you have to explain a joke is the second it looses all meaning

Gonoji

Smash Cadet
Looking back, the speed of the gameplay in the Direct reminds me a lot of the speed in the E3 2001 trailers for Melee. Ranging from very simple at a moderate speed, to potentially insanely fast using different techniques. While I'm not sure if the latter is in Smash 4, with the announcement of this mode and Sakurai officially acknowledging things like L-canceling in the past, I wouldn't be entirely surprised. Plus that moonwalk thingy in the Direct could be a hint of what is to come.

Gonoji

Smash Cadet
Oh, and platforms would be nice (if there's wavedashing), but I can live without em.

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
All this means nothing if they cannot get a stable connection for online, but all is brawl lives on!

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
I doubt he would take it that drastically.
Looks like someone forgot brawl exists. :secretkpop: before someone jumps down my throat, it is a FACT that Brawl is the way it is because of Sakurai's pandering to the casuals. Nothing is out of question with Sakurai, especially after what he specifically stated about hating items off. He is the embodiment of pandering.

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Online mode is starting to look very promising so far. I really hope we don't have to deal with input lag (if possible) because that's what kept me from playing brawl online most of the time.

TheFadedWarrior

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MortifiedPanda
I'm not even a tournament player, but that Final Destination mode... HYPEHYPEHYPEHYPE

KillJay

Smash Cadet
NNID
K0maeda
3DS FC
0361-6214-0350
Looks like someone forgot brawl exists. :secretkpop: before someone jumps down my throat, it is a FACT that Brawl is the way it is because of Sakurai's pandering to the casuals. Nothing is out of question with Sakurai, especially after what he specifically stated about hating items off. He is the embodiment of pandering.
Item Switch is a staple of Smash. If he removed it, it would piss off more people than it would please.

Regardless of if Sakurai is a huge panderer or not, he knows that he can't make dumb choices that would cost him game sales.

Top Bottom