• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Update is out

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Is it just me or does Pikachu's thunder start a lot higher now?

edit: actually, I think it might have just been an illusion caused by the stage I was on.
Was just about to say nah it's same height

MioTinto

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-2162-7019
Can Mewtwo be used in online play, or will he suffer the same treatment as the Mii Fighters? Not too interested in Mewtwo, but I do want to get funky with Lucas in FG once he's available.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
Probably just me again, but Duck Hunt's Dair feels like it comes out faster. Well, time to go back to work

Lemon Girl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Maguitus
3DS FC
0147-0570-9943
Just noticed that if you press A + B (attack + special) you perform a Smash attack, neat I guess.

HeavyMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bloodriot779
Can anyone tell me if the replays are still usable? I have so many I have yet to record. I don't wanna sit here and record them if they're still usable in the patch. I'm guessing the answer is no though? ._.

Robfire

Smash Rookie
ok guys, i know we don't have community patchnotes yet, but i updated my 3ds version only and kept my wii u version the same in order to test these. from careful testing from BOTH versions, not speculation, i can confirm:

:4diddy:
-diddy's up air was in fact nerfed. it does less damage and KOs about 30% later :)
-up throw up air KOs earlier a bit, but it's much easier to DI than his down throw

:4kirby:
-kirby's down throw now does 10% instead of 6%
-kirby's inhale ending animation is sped up significantly

that's all i confirmed so far. i tested this on FD, not battlefield or any other omega form stages. if you're testing something as well, make sure you do not go on an omega stage other than FD, because the blast zones will vary, especially because of battlefield's high ceiling.

Just noticed that if you press A + B (attack + special) you perform a Smash attack, neat I guess.
That can't possibly be good... I can imagine all the misfires and punishes that'll happen to me for simply playing fast paced matches.

don't worry, you can disable it in the controls menu. i have no idea why they added it anyway though it's the weirdest design choice i've ever seen

Roots

Smash Cadet
0 changes made to Donkey Kong as far as I can tell. COLOR ME SURPRISED.
Check out Will's stream, they've already found some changes
For instance, Diddy's fmash was nerfed as well as Sonic's bthrow

MioTinto

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-2162-7019
Can anyone tell me if the replays are still usable? I have so many I have yet to record. I don't wanna sit here and record them if they're still usable in the patch. I'm guessing the answer is no though? ._.
They won't. Replays aren't videos, it's just the system emulating the inputs. As this update changes knockback, lag and damage on moves, it'll just look weird, so replays won't be usable.

Agosta44

Smash Ace
Check out Will's stream, they've already found some changes
For instance, Diddy's fmash was nerfed as well as Sonic's bthrow
I have to be up for work in 5 hours so I can't stay up much later to see. From what I could tell there were no major changes with landing lag or combos. If I wake up and someone finds something that's great.

HeavyMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bloodriot779
They won't. Replays aren't videos, it's just the system emulating the inputs. As this update changes knockback, lag and damage on moves, it'll just look weird, so replays won't be usable.
I had a feeling it'd be the case... Well, time to record a load ._.

Sonic's Bthrow has been nerfed? Well I was expecting that, and I can live with that... I wonder what else has changed ._.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Fox's jab lock timing has been made stricter, but it can still be done.

Either I'm way better at Fox than I give myself credit for, or his aerials have had a lag reduction. Probably the former.

[NEED FOX MAIN TO CONFIRM THESE] Usmash appears to have more kill power. Dthrow might have been changed to have less base knockback, but higher knockback growth.

I should probably stop posting now, I'm getting too tired to accurately determine what's been changed. I'm going to keep posting anyways, and add Zelda to my list.

Last edited:

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
PK Thunder feels a lot faster to control than before

Ness' backthrow has been NERFED. I just tried to kill Samus at 110% from the edge of the stage and she lived

Last edited:

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I tested what I could for Pikachu without racking my brain too much. He seems mostly unchanged although I think something is different about his forward smash. I can't put my finger on it. Everything else is definitely the same from what I was checking, only things I didn't go far into checking were aerials.

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
This has no value competitively, but Wuhu Island doesn't support 6 or 8 player smash, despite the pic of Mewtwo and the other Pokés there.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
:4robinm:
+ Wind Jab links properly now!
+ Ftilt "dead zone" on Robin's arm is gone
+? Fair seems to come out slightly faster, and Levin fair seems to have slightly more range
+? Running speed may be a little faster

aethermaster

Smash Ace
NNID
Aethermaster
3DS FC
2552-2699-1664
does anybody know of any changes to Yoshi or Shulk? It might be a placebo but it seems Yoshi's upsmash is weaker but somebody needs to fact check

Magik0722

Smash Champion
Imported miis lose their hats if the wii doesnt have it itself
Has that always been a thing? I'm pretty sure it wasn't.

Last edited:

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
EDIT: NVM I found it. And I haven't gotten the mewtwo e-mail but got the e-mail for the free elite member download. Should I be concerned?

Last edited:

robinpup

Smash Cadet
OK two buffs i see Lucario now can grab combo with his d throw and up throw, and Dk has less landing lag on his D air

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Continuing to Pikachu, damage-wise he is completely unchanged. Gonna need tests for any knockback changes but from what I was seeing nothing is different.

Edit: Can someone test the knockback on Thunder's burst hitbox, and the hitboxes on forward smash? I suspect a difference but would like to be sure. Down smash and up smash appear to be the same though.

Last edited:

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Pac-Man's grab is much faster now, not as much ending lag on it. I think B-air does more damage? Still not enough to 1-shot the hydrant like in vanilla. Recovery after hitting a wall with side B seems to be much faster so you don't smack a wall and suicide.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
Ness' PK Thunder can still kill at around 55% (using Samus as a dummy)

MioTinto

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-2162-7019
The shockwave from Dedede's fsmash now deals 7% damage instead of 6%.

Robfire

Smash Rookie
PK Thunder feels a lot faster to control than before

Ness' backthrow has been NERFED. I just tried to kill Samus at 110% from the edge of the stage and she lived
what stage, though? it seems like it was nerfed slightly. i was able to kill samus near the edge (where the AI starts in training) at 100% in the old version, but it took around 110% in the patch, which just barely kills. so yes, it's about 10% weaker in terms of knockback now, but it's still fairly strong. nice!

[NEED FOX MAIN TO CONFIRM THESE] Usmash appears to have more kill power. Dthrow might have been changed to have less base knockback, but higher knockback growth.
just tested this. fox's up smash kos mario in the old version at around 105, where in the new version, it's around 110. i guess it's 5% weaker knockback now? seems like both AIs are using DI.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Ness seems unchanged, though PKT2 may have been buffed. I've only landed it a few times, so I can't say for sure if this is normal. I killed MK at 104% with a PKT2 from the right ledge of Halberd (platform transformation) to the upper left blast line. MK was right next to me, if that mattered.

Zionaze

Smash Ace
Pac-Man's grab is much faster now, not as much ending lag on it. I think B-air does more damage? Still not enough to 1-shot the hydrant like in vanilla. Recovery after hitting a wall with side B seems to be much faster so you don't smack a wall and suicide.
doesn't bair do less dmg? And grab is def faster ermergerd

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
what stage, though? it seems like it was nerfed slightly. i was able to kill samus near the edge (where the AI starts in training) at 100% in the old version, but it took around 110% in the patch, which just barely kills. so yes, it's about 10% weaker in terms of knockback now, but it's still fairly strong. nice!

just tested this. fox's up smash kos mario in the old version at around 105, where in the new version, it's around 110. i guess it's 5% weaker knockback now? seems like both AIs are using DI.
Set them to second controller in training to avoid this.

Top Bottom