• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Ultimate Speculation Chart (UPDATES DESPERATELY NEEDED; AEM MISSING)

Status
Not open for further replies.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I would be completely fine with Ms. Rhythm on the chart. The Rhythm Heaven series is kinda hard to guess for fighters.
Really? Well, that's cool! Um, I don't suppose you'll be adding her to that chart anytime soon?

Also, will you be adding more retro characters to the retro charts? I mean, I feel as though they're also pretty tricky to guess for playable characters as well, so...

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
@GoldenYuiitusin or AEMehr AEMehr
The Famicom/NES Roster Icons are inconsistent with the rest of the icons; can you resize them to fit properly with the rest?
I noticed this too when it was posted, but thought it was related to mobile devices.
For some reason it was resized in the url, so just removing the change in width / height in the url fixed it.
Really? Well, that's cool! Um, I don't suppose you'll be adding her to that chart anytime soon?

Also, will you be adding more retro characters to the retro charts? I mean, I feel as though they're also pretty tricky to guess for playable characters as well, so...
I'll try to make it happen! These are mostly skeletal for the most part. You may not have noticed, but Isaac isn't present in the Handheld list either. Maybe something worth discussing over?

Additionally, yeah we haven't touched SNES or N64 games yet so more Retro Fighters are to be added, but if you wanted to suggest anybody from the Gameboy, NES, or Famicom feel free to suggest away.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I'll try to make it happen! These are mostly skeletal for the most part. You may not have noticed, but Isaac isn't present in the Handheld list either. Maybe something worth discussing over?

Additionally, yeah we haven't touched SNES or N64 games yet so more Retro Fighters are to be added, but if you wanted to suggest anybody from the Gameboy, NES, or Famicom feel free to suggest away.
Well...

Donbe and Hikari
Mona (WarioWare)
Lark (Pilotwings)
Lip
Mike Jones
Sukapon
Andy
Sami
Ray (Custom Robo)
Saki Amamiya
Isaac
Barbara
Doshin/Jashin
Kururin
Chibi-Robo
Fossil Fighters
Dion, Max, and Jack (Marvelous)
Ryota Hayami (Wave Race)
Akari Hayami (1080)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Is it bad that I want literally every character on this chart?
Depends on if you want Dark MK as a costume or is own slot.

Answer carefully, your life may depend on it.
Or not, I dunno.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
With the new Pokemon leaks for Let's Go! Pikachu and Let's Go! Eevee being all but confirmed, I think Eevee needs to be added to the chart.

D

Deleted member

We're not even considering Eevee for the chart until we know more about the new games other than they are rumored to exist.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Fair enough.

I don't think they'll show a pokemon newcomer at the same time as Pokemon Switch's debut, they wanna keep those two hype trains from colliding.

D

Deleted member

The last few charts should be finished up soon.
Sorry for the delay.

D

Deleted member

New chart added.

Only one chart remaining before edits.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Fair enough.

I don't think they'll show a pokemon newcomer at the same time as Pokemon Switch's debut, they wanna keep those two hype trains from colliding.
Well, I was right.

Though now we know that Gen 8 proper is still at least a year away.

Wonder if Game Freak's got one lined up for Smash DLC.

D

Deleted member

All preliminary charts have been added.
We're considering some additions of our own based on more recent events, but suggestions on additions are now up for consideration.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
All preliminary charts have been added.
We're considering some additions of our own based on more recent events, but suggestions on additions are now up for consideration.
My suggestions would be:

- Henry Fleming from Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. for handheld franchises (plus it'd make a nice rectangle)
- Breath of the Wild's four Champions

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well now that Pkmn Let's Go is known about and what it entails Eevee can be added. Along with Squirtle and Ivysaur (and maybe Pichu) for completion's sake.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Oh and Krystal and Slippy.

Honestly chances are we'll only get Wolf back but fingers crossed.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I'd like to suggest Dark Matter for the Kirby speculation chart, it's very important to the franchise's history
and it has implied massive lore significance via Void Termina/End Nil/Final Zero which also soft confirms that it was related to the Master Crown since Void Termina uses that and Void Termina is so blatantly related to Dark Matter that it hurts(has a Dark Matter form, has Zero-Two esque wings, it uses Miracle Matter's spike attack, makes Zero-Two's face, the inside of it's shell looks almost exactly like Dark Star, it fades to white when beaten in the true arena like Zero-Two again, internally it's attacks are referred to as Dark Matter laser, Hyness's people are the "masters of a matter most dark", it can be hurt by love unlike every boss in the franchise except Dark Matter, Zero and Zero-Two, it's name (Nil/Void) are synonyms of Zero regardless of language, etc, etc), which further cements it as the franchise's most important villain. Because of Void Termina, the Master Crown, and Dark Nebula (Confirmed to be a member of the Dark Matter species in a official artbook) you can safely say Dark Matter's been the final boss in some way for 6 Kirby games, and that isn't even counting the obvious alternate world counterparts in Dark Mind and Dark Crafter, which would bring the total up to 8.

Last edited:

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
It really irks me when people predict Crash Bandicoot for Smash, but not Spyro.

They've practically been two peas in a pod for most of their existence, they're both owned by Activision, and there's precedent for a third party to have two reps in Smash. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they were announced for Smash together rather than separately.

And before you point out that Capcom and Sega's second reps were DLC... yeah, that's a fair point. But I guarantee you that if Crash Bandicoot joins Smash by himself, Spyro's place on the Most Wanted list will skyrocket.

D

Deleted member

It really irks me when people predict Crash Bandicoot for Smash, but not Spyro.

They've practically been two peas in a pod for most of their existence, they're both owned by Activision, and there's precedent for a third party to have two reps in Smash. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they were announced for Smash together rather than separately.

And before you point out that Capcom and Sega's second reps were DLC... yeah, that's a fair point. But I guarantee you that if Crash Bandicoot joins Smash by himself, Spyro's place on the Most Wanted list will skyrocket.
We were originally going to have Spyro based on the whole rumor surrounding him, Crash, and Captain Toad, but by the time it came to make the Third-Party chart, that rumor had been debunked hard and we decided that at this point in time Spyro didn't really have much going for him due to the roster being "finalized" well before the Reignited Trilogy was even a twinkle in Activision's eye.

Even if Crash is revealed for Smash Switch, it doesn't make Spyro an inevitable follow-up yet to be revealed for the base roster. There might be a chance when DLC comes around, but we're not focusing on that contingent until DLC is announced.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Whooah

Where's Squirtle and Ivysaur? And y'all have Shovel Knight but no Shantae? :V

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
With the new Pokemon leaks for Let's Go! Pikachu and Let's Go! Eevee being all but confirmed, I think Eevee needs to be added to the chart.
Well now that Pkmn Let's Go is known about and what it entails Eevee can be added.
As far as being a fighter goes, Eevee fits the majority of criteria, though I feel the possibility of designing a unique fighting style for Eevee that doesn't break the rules of the character is difficult. If Eevee was added to Smash it would be based off of Eevee in the games, not the manga. There are more ways to advertise/promote something other than a fighter, and while the concept behind supporting Eevee is understandable it doesn't really seem to add much to the game.

Additionally, why would they need to really push to promote Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee? The games feature prominent Pokemon already, it only has the original 151 too. It's not like they need to introduce new characters for the public to grow to, like they did with Lucario and Greninja in the past. Objectively, I don't really think it makes a lot of sense business-wise and design-wise to add Eevee aside from meeting a quota that doesn't necessarily need to be filled by the Pokemon.
- - -
My suggestions would be:

- Henry Fleming from Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. for handheld franchises (plus it'd make a nice rectangle)
- Breath of the Wild's four Champions
As far as becoming a playable fighter, Henry Fleming's chances seems very scarce. STEAM didn't really do that well in terms of sales, the character is not very popular, and him with most of STEAM's characters hail from classic literature. Not to say Fleming would cause any legal issue, but it would feel like he's not a game character first (if that makes any sense?). As far as being a playable fighter, it's heavily doubtable we'd see Fleming. but I definitely see the possibility of an Assist Trophy at best. Lacks popularity and notoriety.

None of the Champions are more important than the other one, and objectively none of them seem like they would add much to gameplay to make any of them incredibly appealing. A new weapon type does exist in Mipha and Revali, but Mipha's abilities beyond her staff skills is lacking and Revali's potential is shared with another (and arguably more prominent) contender in Decidueye. There's also the argument that none of them really have staying power in the franchise, since they're all dead. You can argue with me using Sheik, but Sheik's inclusion has roots in being part of Zelda's moveset so she kinda has a free pass haha.
- - -
Rhythm Girl from Rhythm Heaven.

Mona and Ashley from WarioWare.
Literally anyone from Rhythm Heaven could lead the franchise in Smash so I guess she could be the one. Consistent leading lady in promotional material right? Her design is pretty inconsistent though, but she's a good way to reference multiple forms of rhythmic combat. Due to the nature of the character / situation, it's something definitely worth considering.

Mona has been the leading lady for WarioWare, sure. But compared to Ashley, who does have some unique potential being a witch and is popular beyond being a WarioWare character, she just falls flat in comparison. If anybody from WarioWare joined Wario, it would have to be Ashley.
- - -
Oh and Krystal and Slippy.

Honestly chances are we'll only get Wolf back but fingers crossed.
Well we're trying to not go too crazy with these character additions, realistically Wolf is really the only character from the franchise that would get in right now. If he does show up, then yeah I can see potential for Krystal or Slippy down the line if this game adopts DLC. But for now, Wolf is the only one that makes sense.
- - -
I'd like to suggest Dark Matter for the Kirby speculation chart, it's very important to the franchise's history
and it has implied massive lore significance via Void Termina/End Nil/Final Zero which also soft confirms that it was related to the Master Crown since Void Termina uses that and Void Termina is so blatantly related to Dark Matter that it hurts(has a Dark Matter form, has Zero-Two esque wings, it uses Miracle Matter's spike attack, makes Zero-Two's face, the inside of it's shell looks almost exactly like Dark Star, it fades to white when beaten in the true arena like Zero-Two again, internally it's attacks are referred to as Dark Matter laser, Hyness's people are the "masters of a matter most dark", it can be hurt by love unlike every boss in the franchise except Dark Matter, Zero and Zero-Two, it's name (Nil/Void) are synonyms of Zero regardless of language, etc, etc), which further cements it as the franchise's most important villain. Because of Void Termina, the Master Crown, and Dark Nebula (Confirmed to be a member of the Dark Matter species in a official artbook) you can safely say Dark Matter's been the final boss in some way for 6 Kirby games, and that isn't even counting the obvious alternate world counterparts in Dark Mind and Dark Crafter, which would bring the total up to 8.
I don't see how that benefits a playable role for Dark Matter though. The form a playable version would take has only appeared in two main Kirby titles, and even then Dark Matter as an entity doesn't really fit a playable role. It's not really much of a character, so there's no personality it adds to the character selection. I personally think Dark Matter would be an interesting addition to the mix, but aside from being this overarching evil that messes with Kirby and friends often there isn't much to it. (Does that mean Dark Meta Knight is an all-star? no, but its a dream friend and i didnt want him in the list in the first place either lol)
- - -
Could Mike Jones be added?
Retro characters are weird to guess but I guess Startropics has a devoted enough cult following to consider.
- - -
I mean yeah I guess. Not sure if Hyrule Warriors is gonna get a lot of in Smash stuff other than music though, being a third-party based spinoff title and whatnot.
- - -
y'all have Shovel Knight but no Shantae? :V
Shovel Knight is definitely the more recognizable of the two, definitely a world wide name. Shantae is definitely known by most dedicated players, but Shovel Knight was name dropped quite a lot in the past 5 years. I wouldn't call him an icon in gaming, but he's definitely made such a big impact in the short time he's been in the limelight. Would definitely argue that he's more well known than Shantae, and the more recognizable the third-party the better.
- - -
Whooah

Where's Squirtle and Ivysaur?
Pokemon Trainer or Squirtle and Ivysaur
Along with Squirtle and Ivysaur (and maybe Pichu) for completion's sake.
yes all of the veterans should be present lol

its an oversight. i dont think we'll be seeing them in a new smash title in any form other than dlc but they were in at least once, oughta throw them a bone for doing it once right?
except young link, boy legit for replaced.

- - - - - - -
Just because so and so isn't on this chart doesn't mean you're wrong for wanting or believing in a certain fighter, the charts are meant to be an objective look at what would and wouldn't make sense.

Some things are easier to choose than others, but the goal is to try to guess what fighters we could see join the battle with the least amount of broad options as possible. I mean what would be so special of guessing everyone if you listed like 500 possibilities.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If I may, why isn't Isaac in the handheld group?

I mean, he might not be very likely, but neither are a lot of the characters on there.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
If I may, why isn't Isaac in the handheld group?

I mean, he might not be very likely, but neither are a lot of the characters on there.
This was because his best chance was during Brawl's development. With Golden Sun being very dormant for a long while there's very little reason to consider him on the radar, additionally with him losing his position as an Assist Trophy in Wii U / 3DS it put him at a very oddly disadvantageous position. I think his fans still yearn for him, but objectively in terms of timing / relevancy / and whatnot it seems like he'll just miss the mark again.

Compared to other characters on the Handheld list, I think there's less reasons to expect him for most of them except like Muddy. Though, retro characters are a weird bunch you kinda pick off of a concept so it's hard to compare Isaac to a fighter that arguably gets decided differently.

Eudiel is definitely not someone I wanted on the list but I guess it makes sense? I personally do not think Nintendo would prioritize promoting a mobile title in Smash Brothers, but it is in a unique situation since it is it's own IP, so who really knows what will happen with that.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
This was because his best chance was during Brawl's development. With Golden Sun being very dormant for a long while there's very little reason to consider him on the radar, additionally with him losing his position as an Assist Trophy in Wii U / 3DS it put him at a very oddly disadvantageous position. I think his fans still yearn for him, but objectively in terms of timing / relevancy / and whatnot it seems like he'll just miss the mark again.

Compared to other characters on the Handheld list, I think there's less reasons to expect him for most of them except like Muddy. Though, retro characters are a weird bunch you kinda pick off of a concept so it's hard to compare Isaac to a fighter that arguably gets decided differently.

Eudiel is definitely not someone I wanted on the list but I guess it makes sense? I personally do not think Nintendo would prioritize promoting a mobile title in Smash Brothers, but it is in a unique situation since it is it's own IP, so who really knows what will happen with that.
But wouldn't Isaac's presumed nice placement on the ballot at least get him considered?

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
But wouldn't Isaac's presumed nice placement on the ballot at least get him considered?
There's no reason to assume he placed nicely on the ballot though, aside from a few fan polls.
Even then, those fan polls didn't really showcase how prominent Bayonetta apparently was too.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
As far as being a fighter goes, Eevee fits the majority of criteria, though I feel the possibility of designing a unique fighting style for Eevee that doesn't break the rules of the character is difficult. If Eevee was added to Smash it would be based off of Eevee in the games, not the manga. There are more ways to advertise/promote something other than a fighter, and while the concept behind supporting Eevee is understandable it doesn't really seem to add much to the game.

Additionally, why would they need to really push to promote Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee? The games feature prominent Pokemon already, it only has the original 151 too. It's not like they need to introduce new characters for the public to grow to, like they did with Lucario and Greninja in the past. Objectively, I don't really think it makes a lot of sense business-wise and design-wise to add Eevee aside from meeting a quota that doesn't necessarily need to be filled by the Pokemon.
- - -
There's a way to have an evolution based moveset for Eevee work that ties in with the game's canon. Namely that Eevee itself doesn't evolve, but it summons it's evolutions to assist, like it does for it's Z-Move in Sun & Moon. (Can you tell I'm the guy who runs the Eevee support thread? :p)

That aside, I agree with the rest of the points, with the asterisk of, "who knows what the Pokemon company's thinking these days"?

splat

Smash Lord
Honestly, I feel quite these charts are not as objective as they are made out to be, being really inconsistent between each other.
This may sound a bit ranty, but if these charts are meant to display every character that may be feasibly considered, I feel any bias should be excluded.

On one hand, not a single Zelda series newcomer is included as most characters are deemed "too minuscule in the overall Zelda timeline". On the other hand, the Kirby chart is bloated with characters like Daroach, Taranza (who is misspelled, btw) and Adeleine, whose appearances can be counted on a single hand. Reading AEMehr's response it seems these Kirby characters are only included as they're dream friends, but that makes me wonder: what's the difference between being a Dream Friend and a playable status in Hyrule Warriors?

I'm wondering how Pauline, a recurring spin-off character (who finally got an appearance in the main series in Oddysey), appears on there, yet characters like Fire Emblem's Anna, who has had similar recurring smaller roles until being upgraded in a later entry (being the spin-off Heroes for Anna, where she supposedly has a large role in the story) are excluded. If you're going to include these kind of side characters, be consistent between series.

Then, in the Pokémon chart, Bewear and Golisopod are on there for some reason. What is the reasoning behind those two?
As far as I'm aware, Bewear's only merit is his appearance in the anime - though other characters who have a prominent role in the anime don't appear on the charts. For example Rowlet, who both has a prominent role and was voted the most popular Sun/Moon Pokémon in Japan, doesn't appear on there. (Keep in mind Sakurai tries to add popular characters. (Also note Decidueye does not appear in the top 14 while the other final starter evolutions do, that aside.))
Golisopod is shown with Guzma, so I guess it being Guzma's ace is the reason for including it in the chart? There is no precedent for character ace Pokémon appearing. And if we're including characters that are important in the story we may as well include picks like Buzzwole and Tapu Koko.

Despite having a very vocal and active fanbase, Isaac is excluded due to timing and his series being irrelevant, as the last entry dates 2010. Yet Banjo, who is in a very similar boat (having a very vocal fanbase despite the last entry dating 2008), is. Granted, Banjo's game sold double the amount of Isaac's, but at 1,78 mil Golden Sun is no slouch either. Isaac's exclusion from Smash 4 is not a positive sign, though his appearance in Brawl does signal Sakurai is aware of his existence.

Finally, AEMehr mentioned the following: "Retro characters are weird to guess but I guess Startropics has a devoted enough cult following to consider."
What is the cutoff for a retro character? There's three consoles, or 16 years, between Ice Climber and Melee. Would you consider any character that appeared in a Gamecube game, or dates 2002 or earlier, to be a retro character?

As a note, I don't really hope for any character mentioned in this post, but again: if these charts are meant to be used for objective discussion they should be without any bias.

I really do feel Chibi-Robo should be on there.

Last edited:

Ignoritus

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I feel quite these charts are not as objective as they are made out to be, being really inconsistent between each other.
This may sound a bit ranty, but if these charts are meant to display every character that may be feasibly considered, I feel any bias should be excluded.
Logged into my account for the first time in years just to back this sentiment. It seems completely out there to me to list Pokemon like Poipole or Bewear who have virtually no significance in the series and don't have particularly huge fanbases and then to say Eevee, who is hands down within the top 5 if not top 3 most popular Pokemon of all time, has a ton of unique moveset potential, has a game with its name in it coming out within the year, is less likely than them because it would require a slight stretching of the source material.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter

On one hand, not a single Zelda series newcomer is included as most characters are deemed "too minuscule in the overall Zelda timeline". On the other hand, the Kirby chart is bloated with characters like Daroach, Taranza (who is misspelled, btw) and Adeleine, whose appearances can be counted on a single hand. Reading AEMehr's response it seems these Kirby characters are only included as they're dream friends, but that makes me wonder: what's the difference between being a Dream Friend and a playable status in Hyrule Warriors?

I'm wondering how Pauline, a recurring spin-off character (who finally got an appearance in the main series in Oddysey), appears on there, yet characters like Fire Emblem's Anna, who has had similar recurring smaller roles until being upgraded in a later entry (being the spin-off Heroes for Anna, where she supposedly has a large role in the story) are excluded. If you're going to include these kind of side characters, be consistent between series.

Then, in the Pokémon chart, Bewear and Golisopod are on there for some reason. What is the reasoning behind those two?
As far as I'm aware, Bewear's only merit is his appearance in the anime - though other characters who have a prominent role in the anime don't appear on the charts. For example Rowlet, who both has a prominent role and was voted the most popular Sun/Moon Pokémon in Japan, doesn't appear on there. (Keep in mind Sakurai tries to add popular characters. (Also note Decidueye does not appear in the top 14 while the other final starter evolutions do, that aside.))
Golisopod is shown with Guzma, so I guess it being Guzma's ace is the reason for including it in the chart? There is no precedent for character ace Pokémon appearing. And if we're including characters that are important in the story we may as well include picks like Buzzwole and Tapu Koko.

Despite having a very vocal and active fanbase, Isaac is excluded due to timing and his series being irrelevant, as the last entry dates 2010. Yet Banjo, who is in a very similar boat (having a very vocal fanbase despite the last entry dating 2008), is. Granted, Banjo's game sold double the amount of Isaac's, but at 1,78 mil Golden Sun is no slouch either. Isaac's exclusion from Smash 4 is not a positive sign, though his appearance in Brawl does signal Sakurai is aware of his existence.

Finally, AEMehr mentioned the following: "Retro characters are weird to guess but I guess Startropics has a devoted enough cult following to consider."
What is the cutoff for a retro character? There's three consoles, or 16 years, between Ice Climber and Melee. Would you consider any character that appeared in a Gamecube game, or dates 2002 or earlier, to be a retro character?

As a note, I don't really hope for any character mentioned in this post, but again: if these charts are meant to be used for objective discussion they should be without any bias.

I really do feel Chibi-Robo should be on there.
You would have to ask @GoldenYuiitusin all of these. I agree with like everything you mentioned, but I'm literally the art help lol.

D

Deleted member

Logged into my account for the first time in years just to back this sentiment. It seems completely out there to me to list Pokemon like Poipole or Bewear who have virtually no significance in the series and don't have particularly huge fanbases and then to say Eevee, who is hands down within the top 5 if not top 3 most popular Pokemon of all time, has a ton of unique moveset potential, has a game with its name in it coming out within the year, is less likely than them because it would require a slight stretching of the source material.
Bewear, like Mimikyu, is a highly promoted Pokémon for Gen 7 to the point it's practically a mascot for the S/M Generation.
Poipole is also highly promoted when it comes to Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon side, especially when the anime is factored in.
To say they have "virtually no significance" is simply untrue and is ignoring just how promotion works.

As for Eevee....here's the important thing to realize.
The entire Eeveelution collective has always been popular. Yet it's only just now that people are actually giving a **** about Eevee in a Smash context. And why is that? Literally just because of the Let's Go! games' existence.
Eevee is the very definition of a bandwagon pick.

As for "a ton of unique moveset potential"?
Does any of this "potential" have to do with utilizing the Eeveelutions instead of what Eevee itself could do like it would be judged on?
Take away the unfeasible idea of using the evolved forms to fight for it, and what do you have left? A cute ball of fluff that can't really do anything unique to be taken as a serious idea by the development team.
That may change with the specific partner Eevee in Let's Go! Eevee to make up for the fact it can't evolve into any of the (only) three available evolutions present, but the game is unlikely to be acknowledged in any way for Smash Switch outside of possibly a passing nod in Eevee's trophy like with Kyogre's and Groudon's trophies in Smash Wii U referencing OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire due to the game's late release during Smash's development.

If anything, the fact there's a brand new Gen 8 Pokémon going to be included as a special gift for the Let's Go! games means more for Smash than Eevee.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ignoritus

Smash Journeyman
Bewear, like Mimikyu, is a highly promoted Pokémon for Gen 7 to the point it's practically a mascot for the S/M Generation.
Poipole is also highly promoted when it comes to Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon side, especially when the anime is factored in.
To say they have "virtually no significance" is simply untrue and is ignoring just how promotion works.
pokemoncenter.com
comparablemarketing.png

Yes I understand merchandising and marketing are different things, however they are very closely related. You cannot in the same breathe say that promoting a game makes a Pokemon a feasible roster choice and then say that the Let's Go! games existence is not a significant factor in the viability of Eevee as a character, considering Eevee is a huge promotion for those games.

I'd also argue you are overstating their relevance to promotion. Outside of the anime, both have received very little recognition of note above any other new Pokemon.

As for Eevee....here's the important thing to realize.
The entire Eeveelution collective has always been popular. Yet it's only just now that people are actually giving a **** about Eevee in a Smash context. And why is that? Literally just because of the Let's Go! games' existence.
Eevee is the very definition of a bandwagon pick.
As I said before, implying that focusing on Eevee because of Let's Go!'s existence is somehow wrong doesn't add up with your previous implication that being promotion fuel made other Pokemon viable picks. Even beyond that, this also neglects other changing dynamics beyond just Let's Go!
Eevee, especially in Japan, has begun to be pushed as a secondary series mascot. To see it put on the same pedestal alongside Pikachu as the star of a game is a huge statement as to its importance to the series.

As for "a ton of unique moveset potential"?
Does any of this "potential" have to do with utilizing the Eeveelutions instead of what Eevee itself could do like it would be judged on?
Take away the unfeasible idea of using the evolved forms to fight for it, and what do you have left? A cute ball of fluff that can't really do anything unique to be taken as a serious idea by the development team.
And on what grounds do you deem this unfeasible besides your own personal bias against the idea?

Yes, allowing Eevee to evolve/devolve freely or call in allies would be a stretch of the source material. There are plenty of other sources of stretched source material in Smash games. From what I understand of Corrin's source material, the ability to half transform parts of their body was made up for Smash to improve their moveset potential.

My point here isn't to say that Eevee will be in Smash or that any of the other Pokemon won't. My point is that the statement of the list containing a fair bit of bias in picks seems to ring very true here considering your justifications for excluding Eevee seem to contradict themselves and work on the basis of summoning or temporary evolution being "unfeasible" without proving that statement.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Can't address everything all at once right now, so I'll start with this:

You're comparing two different series in how they work on the chart instead of looking at it from a separate series perspective. Just because X has characters for X reason doesn't mean Y needs characters for X reason, and rather characters are excluded from Y because Y reason.

Though one important thing AEM didn't make clear is that the reason why Zelda characters don't have any newcomer options on the chart is because the Zelda series takes after what are the most recent main releases at the time of development for content with a few notable exceptions. Meaning any newcomer choice would have to do with Breath of the Wild, especially with Link's redesign for the new Smash.
The only reasonable choices we could think of from that were the Champions, and like AEM said, none of them really stick out in particular to where they are the "obvious" choice. I've mulled over the idea of including all four of them anyway, but when the chart was first being worked on it seemed excessive.
The reasoning of the characters being "too miniscule in the timeline" wasn't the train of thought I was going with the Zelda side. But other than the Champions, there's unlikely to be any additional Zelda characters included in a chart update.

As for Kirby, the series isn't nearly as predictable. A majority of the characters on the chart are barely possible and really only there because they have or will be receiving a playable role in a recent release, or in the case of Galacta Knight, constant modern reappearances.
And including some of them will lead to ******** from other people why the others weren't included, so precautions were made.

You want to claim there's bias on OUR part involved, but bias works both ways. There is no way to be completely unbiased when everyone has their own bias as to how the chart should work, including you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ignoritus

Smash Journeyman
You want to claim there's bias on OUR part involved, but bias works both ways. There is no way to be completely unbiased when everyone has their own bias as to how the chart should work, including you.
This is a very fair point, but I think the only real solution is to be a little bit forgiving with what is plausible. There are plenty of characters currently on the roster for a previous Smash game that would have been viewed as ridiculous suggestion at the time. And I think there are multiple characters currently on your list that are even more implausible than characters you are rejecting. It seems unfair that characters many people would view as completely implausible are on it because you do not personally view them as so, but that characters that many people see as feasible are rejected because you do not personally view them as so.

For example, sorry to drag AEM into this but...
Well we're trying to not go too crazy with these character additions, realistically Wolf is really the only character from the franchise that would get in right now. If he does show up, then yeah I can see potential for Krystal or Slippy down the line if this game adopts DLC. But for now, Wolf is the only one that makes sense.
You have Adeleine in this list. Don't get me wrong, I do not think Krystal or Slippy have a real chance, but you have a character that appeared in supporting roles in two games from a franchise full of random 1-off characters, that hasn't been in a game since the N64. Rejecting Krystal or Slippy for this basis just isn't consistent reasoning.

I totally agree with you that bias is an unavoidable obstacle, but considering there is limited harm to new additions to the chart it seems like the best approach to it is to permit any character for which a reasonably solid basis can be made. Because to be honest, if some basis can be made for an argument as to their inclusion, they're probably already ahead of a handful of characters on that chart.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well, charts are going to need some heavy updates with the bombshell of information we had at E3.

Note: Anyone not already on the chart that has been disconfirmed will not be added to the chart.
So no Eevee, Ghirahim, Midna, Krystal, etc.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Borrowing this from the Graveyard thread

DISCONFIRMED CHARACTER LIST

• Bomberman - Assist Trophy
  • Bewear - Poke Ball Pokemon
  • Solgaleo - Pokeball
  • Waluigi - AT
  • Midna - AT
  • Darkrai - Pokeball
  • Takamaru - AT
  • Knuckle Joe - AT
  • Callie And Marie - AT
  • Lunala - Pokeball
  • Krystal - AT
  • Badge Arcade Rabbit - AT
  • Alolan Vulpix - Pokeball
  • Alolan Raichu - Pokeball
  • Bomber - Item
  • Sukapon - AT
  • Rodin - AT
  • Palua - Appearance in Ness's Final Smash
  • Poo - Appearance in Ness's Final Smash
  • Jeff - AT
  • Kumatora - Appearance in Lucas's Final Smash
  • Boney - Appearance in Lucas's Final Smash
  • Riki - AT, Appearance in Shulk's Final Smash
  • Dunban - Appearance in Shulk's Final Smash
  • Fiora - Appearance in Shulk's Final Smash
  • Megaman X - Appearance in Mega Man's Final Smash
  • Megaman Star Force - Appearance in Mega Man's Final Smash
  • Megaman Exe - Appearance in Mega Man's Final Smash
  • Megaman Voltnut - Appearance in Mega Man's Final Smash
  • Proto Man - Appearance in Mega Man's Final Smash
  • Bass - Appearance in Mega Man's Final Smash
  • Yellow Devil - Hazard on Wily's Castle
  • Lyn - AT
  • Color TV Game - AT
  • Abra - Pokeball
  • Eevee - Pokeball
  • Knuckles - AT
  • Burrowing Snagger - AT
  • Tom Nook - Appearance in Villager's Final Smash
  • Timmy and Tommy - Appearance in Villager's Final Smash
  • Toad - Role in Peach's Moveset
  • Metroid - AT
  • Parasite Queen - Hazard on Frigate Orpheaigon
  • Samurai Goroh - AT
  • Pac-Man Ghosts - AT
  • Andross - AT
  • Nintendogs - AT
  • Starfy - AT
  • Banzai Bill - Hazard on Princess Peach's Castle
  • Ultimate Chimera - Hazard on New Pork City
  • Meowth - Pokeball
  • Entei - Pokeball
  • Venusaur - Hazard on Saffron City
  • Electrode - Hazard on Saffron City, AT
  • Charmander - Hazard on Saffron City
  • Chansey - Hazard on Saffron City
  • Porygon - Hazard on Saffron City
  • Ramblin' Evil Mushroom - Unknown
  • Girahim - AT
  • Giga Bowser - Role in Bowser's Final Smash
  • Wario Man - Role in Wario's Final Smash
  • Giga Mac - Role in Little Mac's Final Smash
  • Alolan Meowth - Pokeball
  • Scizor - Pokeball
  • Giratina - Pokeball
  • Polar Bear - Role in Ice Climbers's Final Smash
  • Starman - AT
  • Dr. Wright - AT
  • Sheriff - AT
  • Chespin - Pokeball
  • Palkia - Pokeball
  • Dr. Kiwashima - AT
  • Mother Brain - AT
  • Hammer Bro - AT
  • Xerneas - Pokeball
  • Mega Mewtwo Y - Role in Mewtwo's Final Smash
  • Deoxys - Pokeball
  • Abomasnow - Pokeball
  • Togedemaru - Pokeball
  • Demon King Ganon - Role in Ganondorf' Final Smash
And Ridley as alwa-... oh.
And most important for this thread,

Notable absent previously disconfirmed characters

• Shadow
  • Gardevoir
  • Tingle
  • Dark Samus
  • Ashley
  • Isabelle
  • Chrom
  • Prince Sable
  • Dillon
  • Skull Kid
And to all that I'd add, that with Echo characters being a thing, we should consider characters that are close in design and abilities to the originals. For example, Hilda for Zelda (or with her staff, maybe Palutena?), Plusle and Minum for Pichu, Funky Kong and Kiddy Kong for DK, Medusa for Palutena, Black Shadow for Captain Falcon (I know Ganondorf got his sword out but you never know Sakurai) and Chrom for Ike (bringing that Palutena's Guidance full circle.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom