• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Smash Ultimate "Mains Advice" Thread

DrSpook

Smash Rookie
I have been playing this game for half a year but have fell into a main crisis. I am having a lot of trouble deciding on a character. I like to play characters that can play rushdown if needed but mostly use bait and punish. I have a tendency to use short hop Fair to approach and have trouble Nairing. I need good oos options and prefer not to rely of grabs that aren't command grabs. I would also prefer not to rely on combos more than like 5 moves. If I need to specify my previous main I can.

Last edited:

DrSpook

Smash Rookie
I mained Bowser and still kind of main him but I started trying out different characters and got worried that I wasn't playing the right character

Mike 223

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1792-4156-5513
Don't really know any characters that use bait any punish a lot. I know Fox and Mario are good for rushdown as it's their whole playstyle, you could probably still bait and punish with most of the cast if you prefer doing that, don't quite remember what Fox's fair is, but I know that all his aerials are better than Marios fair, as far as I'm aware Fox doesn't rely on big combos, his aerials seem like they would be decent oos, and I don't see Foxs grab a whole lot either

Last edited:

TlahuelFox

Smash Rookie
When I played I started playing smash melee mario was main but I decided to try other characters the first one I saw was fox I was curious about this character and oh god I loved the character :ultfox: maybe i'm not as strong as wolf but i'm still maining fox I really like the speed and the combos that it does

Pink Yoshi

Smash Lord
My three most-played characters as of right now are Corrin, Isabelle and Yoshi (as you'd guess from my name and sig, lol :roll:). And my main question is what DLC characters would be best for me to buy and start playing. I enjoy being able to hit opponents without needing to go too close and risk getting yeeted, and Side B is usually my favorite command to input - but down B is my favorite for Yoshi. Anyone got advice for a stupid Side B spammer? :4pacman:

Mike 223

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1792-4156-5513
My three most-played characters as of right now are Corrin, Isabelle and Yoshi (as you'd guess from my name and sig, lol :roll:). And my main question is what DLC characters would be best for me to buy and start playing. I enjoy being able to hit opponents without needing to go too close and risk getting yeeted, and Side B is usually my favorite command to input - but down B is my favorite for Yoshi. Anyone got advice for a stupid Side B spammer? :4pacman:
Steve's side B is pretty dumb, same with Pyra and Myhra, but of course, spamming it will get you read by good players.

Willcow

Smash Rookie
I’ve played smash on various consoles casually since I was a kid. However, I want to try getting into my local competitive scene and I’m trying to pin down a main or two.

Currently, my main is Pikachu and I can play Ike pretty well. However, I’m having a lot of trouble playing Pika online, as he’s so fast-moving and requires quick inputs, which can be very difficult due to lag.

which characters are LEAST affected by online lag? I’ve found Ike easier to play compared to Pikachu when lag is present, as his moved are slow and have big hit boxes. Any other suggestions?

Mike 223

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1792-4156-5513
Literally any zoner isn't affected negatively at all by lag, in fact they benefit from it.

D

Deleted member

Mii Swordfighter is my current main for Quickplay. Is it okay if I share a screenshot of him?

Top Bottom