• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Steve is really the only character I don't want. Not necessarily because he'd be a bad character, or I don't think he deserves it, or whatever, but because I'm not a fan of Minecraft at all. I don't really mind Steve in the grand scheme if things because I know Sakurai can make him work but he is the one outlier in that list that makes me go "Hm, they could've picked someone better."

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Only thing I'm gonna say about online fan polls is that they always get botted to heck and back, so you should never, ever consider those representative of anything IMHO.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
Uh I'm pretty sure it did. It claimed a P5 Arena game was coming but got delayed as Arcsys is too busy with Granblue. Whoever this person is, they're involved with SEGA I feel cause that is some very interesting info
There were two separate 5ch posts, one claiming just Erdrick and Granblue, and the full DLC rumor which is only talking about P5R. Unless I'm mistaken they're entirely separate posts.

Untouch

Smash Master
I've been a little out of the loop, does the Doom Marine/Steve/Ryu Hayabusa leak have anything backing it up that isn't an Erdrick prediction? Because there's a million and one 4chan leaks that have listed Erdrick in some form.
They mentioned P5R coming out in 2019.
The Granblue VS post was another post highly assumed to be the same person as it came afterwards.

Personally everything they've gotten right so far has been a part of speculation and rumour mills so I don't believe it yet.
The only thing on that list I've heard nothing about prior to this leak is Ninja Gaiden getting a 30th anniversary game.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Fun fact actually. 300 kids got arrested for skipping school and **** when DQ3 was released. It's Japan's version of people calling sick for work during the launch of Halo 3
Yo if skipping school was an offense, i'd be doing time right now lmao.

And I vividly remember Halo 3's launch. Like half of the kids that day skipped school to play the game.

Primal Cookie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2532 0420 7538
I spent years of my childhood playing Minecraft, and I still love the game (not the community though). I don’t want Steve because I don’t think he’ll be a good representation of the series. It’s not a fighter - it’s an open world sandbox that almost plays like a survival game. Steve as a character isn’t what makes Minecraft so magical for kids, and neither is the fighting. It’s the freedom to do whatever you want in it - and I don’t think that any Steve moveset could accurately represent that. It would be cool to have him in, and I would be super hyped, but it wouldn’t capture the magic of the series IMO. In the end, that’s what Smash does - it takes established game characters across many different genres and turns them into fighting game characters, yet still with the charm that their series contains. A Minecraft rep couldn’t do that, at least for me.

D

Deleted member

It really depends on what you like. If you want mods (and you most likely do - the game is loads better with the unofficial patches [fixes a lot of minor bugs like plants that are not completely grounded or misaligned textures], and the default font looks too modern compared to the rest of the game), you probably want the PC or Xbox version. The Special Edition set up that it's easy to put in these mods as well. They also hoave paid mods, which is a bit of a sore spot, but they're optional. I am all in for the survival one though, since I like my open-world games hard. The benefits with the Switch version are the portability and the Zelda gear, ad it also gives you the motion-sensor aiming, but then you can't get the mods.

It is also a game from 2011, so it holds up graphically and mechanically, but I'm never going to claim that it's perfect compared to more modern games. Still, it's a great way to lose yourself for hours on end, and it shares a lot of overlap with the new Zelda game. I'd look at this guide for First Time players. This site is a conglomerate for all Elder Scrolls lore if you're interested, but these tips will help if you want to get an idea of how to set up your character well.

But take your time if you are playing it. The lore in game is immense, so I'd suggest going through slowly and taking your time to read the in-game books. I still remember my first time playing, I was going to Whiterun and night fell, and then there was a beautiful aurora in the sky. I've never played a game that made me stop just to look at the sky in wonder.
Thanks pal!

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Fun fact actually. 300 kids got arrested for skipping school and **** when DQ3 was released. It's Japan's version of people calling sick for work during the launch of Halo 3
Pretty sure it's a Japanese law that Dragon Quest games can't be released on a weekday for this very reason.

Dragon Quest is that big of a ****in deal there that they have a law for it...

It's probably about time it got a character in Smash. I just hope they can manage to bring more FF content with them.

Last edited:

Wambo

Smash Ace
The characters that I want polled well in the Smash polls. Most of these characters were NOT even in the top 50 of the Smash poll. If Nintendo would pick characters off their polls, people would be happy. They did that with KRool and Ridley and it made everyone happy. Why do a poll and ignore it?
"Quit complaining! S-Sakurai is working really hard on this game and w-we should all quit whining and just accept his character picks! Not everyone wanted ****ing one-game characters like Geno or MORE anime guys like Isaac! Banjo is old and stupid! I love Minecraft and Dragon Quest suddenly!"

"Wait, you mean even casual players outside of the online Smash community wanted characters like Geno, Isaac, and Banjo...?"

This ****ing community in a nutshell. Grow your own ****ing opinions, people.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Honestly, I hate going back to it, but I'm honestly not too pressed about the DLC because the 11 newcomers we got for Ultimate already were fantastic. K. Rool, Inklings, Incineroar, Ridley, Isabelle, and Belmont were great, and the echoes were all solid as well. I'm just grateful that we got an A+ roster plus everyone else.

My only qualm is that it's only 3rd party, but we're also getting Piranha Plant as a free download so I can't complain. I'm personally most excited for Joker and can't wait to see him AND persona music.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
"Quit complaining! S-Sakurai is working really hard on this game and w-we should all quit whining and just accept his character picks! Not everyone wanted ****ing one-game characters like Geno or MORE anime guys like Isaac! Banjo is old and stupid! I love Minecraft and Dragon Quest suddenly!"

"Wait, you mean even casual players outside of the online Smash community wanted characters like Geno, Isaac, and Banjo...?"

We do have our own opinions. Sorry they don't match yours.

Actually I'm not sorry. It was all a ruse.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

No one was saying anything remotely that hostile and venom filled until you just posted that.

Good for you, I guess.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

You didn't grow your own opinions but just parrotted what any Grinch believer said you numbnuts

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
They mentioned P5R coming out in 2019.
The Granblue VS post was another post highly assumed to be the same person as it came afterwards.

Personally everything they've gotten right so far has been a part of speculation and rumour mills so I don't believe it yet.
The only thing on that list I've heard nothing about prior to this leak is Ninja Gaiden getting a 30th anniversary game.
Ninja Gaiden 4 has been in development since well before Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z was released so it releasing for the 30th Anniversary won't be all that surprising.

I remember a **** show happening when Yaiba was announced because people thought that it was the new Ninja Gaiden and the developers had to come out and say, "No this is a spinoff. Ninja Gaiden 4 is being developed separately." And that was 2014 at the latest.

D

Deleted member

Pretty sure it's a Japanese law that Dragon Quest games can't be released on a weekday for this very reason.

Dragon Quest is that big of a ****in deal there that they have a law for it...

It's probably about time it got a character in Smash. I just hope they can manage to bring more FF content with them.
I need to explain something in regards to that.

While that thing is true, and DQ games are never released on weekdays, it isn’t because of a law.

Yes, they do that to prevent it from happening again but it isn’t forced by law. Instead, it was Square who wanted it to be that way, and not the goverment.

D

Deleted member

ok so i got burned a little too hard by the grinch to buy some forum post leak lol

Ryu Hayabusa would the absolute **** tho, would fit right in with Mario, Link, Samus and Simon
He is technically our second AVGN rep too. Unless we count the Castlevania stuff.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
ok so i got burned a little too hard by the grinch to buy some forum post leak lol

Ryu Hayabusa would the absolute **** tho, would fit right in with Mario, Link, Samus and Simon
And top that off with a lot of things being sketch in that rumor, I have a tough time buying in to it completely. Although I could see it happening given how big those 3 series are. And TBH, I could think of worse possibilities for DLC.

Wambo

Smash Ace
We do have our own opinions. Sorry they don't match yours.
People's opinions on here change at the drop of a hat. (See: when Ridley was revealed literally after Mario's hat dropped and suddenly everybody loved him)

And yeah no, not just my opinion (except for Geno).

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
While not an absolute deadline, the Ninja Gaiden 30th anniversary (in Japan) is in February, so if there's going to be an event it'll be announced relatively soon I feel.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319

Yikes dog, I’m annoyed about the Grinch leak being fake too and I agree that nobody should refrained from expressing disappointment but you really could’ve worded this post a lot better.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Now I don't know about all of you, but I definitely grow my own opinions. I get the soil just right, perfect pH and everything. I use my compost pile to make fertilizer. My opinions have won several blue ribbons at the county fair.

Granted, on occasion there are moles that get into my garden and eat my home-grown opinions, but luckily opinions themselves can be made into mole repellent with a bit of Rational Thought juice sprinkled in. You just need to be wary about the frost, which can ruin the opinion harvest if you don't heed the opinion almanac.

Maybe one day you, too, can grow a prized opinion, like my "Merric would be awesome as a playable character" one.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

People's opinions on here change at the drop of a hat.

And yeah no, not my opinion (except for Geno).
How so? If it's about Steve, I personally have been supporting him since pre-E3, and Joker had been a pipe-dream wish of mine before the reveal happened.

Last edited by a moderator:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I dunno about you guys, but I am fine if the leak is true. The only thing that disappoints me is a lack of Nintendo characters.

Piranha Plant doesn’t count, by the way.

Wambo

Smash Ace
Yikes dog, I’m annoyed about the Grinch leak being fake too and I agree that nobody should refrained from expressing disappointment but you really could’ve worded this post a lot better.
Explain how I'm wrong though, without some unfunny "huehuehue wording" post like Opossum's doing.

D

Deleted member

People's opinions on here change at the drop of a hat. (See: when Ridley was revealed literally after Mario's hat dropped and suddenly everybody loved him)

And yeah no, not just my opinion (except for Geno).
Ridley has been a highly requested character for so long, he literally became a meme. I don't what world you lived in where "people only liked him after he was revealed".

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Now I don't know about all of you, but I definitely grow my own opinions. I get the soil just right, perfect pH and everything. I use my compost pile to make fertilizer. My opinions have won several blue ribbons at the county fair.

Granted, on occasion there are moles that get into my garden and eat my home-grown opinions, but luckily opinions themselves can be made into mole repellent with a bit of Rational Thought juice sprinkled in. You just need to be wary about the frost, which can ruin the opinion harvest if you don't heed the opinion almanac.

Maybe one day you, too, can grow a prized opinion, like my "Merric would be awesome as a playable character" one.
I know it’s not the point of your post, but the farming analogy really makes me wish we could have some Harvest Moon content in smash.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Ridley has been a highly requested character for so long, he literally became a meme. I don't what world you lived in where "people only liked him after he was revealed".
That **** is why his trash takes should be ignored completely. We all know he's only bitter at people for not liking what he likes and the longer this goes on the more obvious it gets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom