• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

My reasons to buy each character as a 17 years old boy:

>Steve will probably come with a dope stage, and i love the morphing ones like Mario Maker. Alex is probably her alt, and that is dope for me.

>Joker looks almost like me, and Persona has a dope style for a stage and a moveset.

>While i’m not a big fan of Doom, the character will come with a dope amount of epic music and a fun moveset.

>Erdrick or Eight are almost some of my most wanted alongside Crash and Spyro. Eight would make me cry of joy.

>Ryu Hayabusa is another character that i know thanks to the AVGN, and it is nice to play as ninjas.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Actually no, Rayman isn't really my generation. I am saying characters with more than 2 games that fit the style of the Nintendo greats should be in Smash.
Rayman is a literal who in Japan, however. I am surprised he even got two cameos all things considered.

Ubisoft are basically proof that good relationship with Nintendo doesn't mean 100% playable Smash character

volbound1700

Smash Master
Yeah, like Final Fantasy, who? We can't allow a minority of games to invade Smash. Non-JRPG gamers, rise up!

EDIT: Also something something don't double post
You are arguing my point, we already got JRPG representation with Cloud. Yes, I have heard of FF and played it before. I also played the Last Story and loved it. Hated Xenoblade and found it boring.

I am sorry that I want characters (Crash & Rayman) that has almost as much games as the Final Fantasy series and has more games than some of the characters in this proposed fighter pass. Also the guy that made the comic about the Sonic characters and Joker is very ignorant. Sonic series is probably the fourth largest series in video game after Mario, Legend of Zelda, and Pokemon. Sonic series has over 30 games. You could take Ryu Hanahasa, Dragon Quest, and Joker combined and not have as many games as Sonic. I guarantee you if you did a poll and ask people who Tails was and who any of these characters on the list were, Tails would be more well-known.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You are arguing my point, we already got JRPG representation with Cloud. Yes, I have heard of FF and played it before. I also played the Last Story and loved it. Hated Xenoblade and found it boring.

I am sorry that I want characters (Crash & Rayman) that has almost as much games as the Final Fantasy series and has more games than some of the characters in this proposed fighter pass. Also the guy that made the comic about the Sonic characters and Joker is very ignorant. Sonic series is probably the fourth largest series in video game after Mario, Legend of Zelda, and Pokemon. Sonic series has over 30 games. You could take Ryu Hanahasa, Dragon Quest, and Joker combined and not have as many games as Sonic. I guarantee you if you did a poll and ask people who Tails was and who any of these characters on the list were, Tails would be more well-known.
If Cloud covers JRPGs, why does Sonic not cover platformers?

D

Deleted member

Dumb theory time:

R.O.B. worked for Tabuu during the events of SSE to finally succeed on its mission of destroying every game that isn’t Gyromite or Stack-up, after the notorius defeat in the hands of the AVGN.

He still fights in Smash to destroy the opponents and their respective games, and put Gyromite and Stack-up on every part of the world.

Untouch

Smash Master
Platformers -> Piranha Plant, Hayabusa
RPGs -> Joker, Erdrick
Survival? -> Steve
FPS -> Doomguy

Be honest, you aren't upset that there are too many RPG reps, it's because you aren't getting the character you want.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I guess I just don't understand because I don't live in Japan. Different games are popular here. I will give the characters a try but they don't necessary bring hype for me like they do you guys I guess. It seems like Nintendo is burning the traditional Smash fans to hopefully grab the next generation.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I guess I just don't understand because I don't live in Japan. Different games are popular here. I will give the characters a try but they don't necessary bring hype for me like they do you guys I guess. It seems like Nintendo is burning the traditional Smash fans to hopefully grab the next generation.
Most of the characters on that pass are older than the Smash fans themselves.

I don't like it either but you are making it seem like they're all recent characters.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Platformers -> Piranha Plant, Hayabusa
RPGs -> Joker, Erdrick
Survival? -> Steve
FPS -> Doomguy

Be honest, you aren't upset that there are too many RPG reps, it's because you aren't getting the character you want.
The characters that I want polled well in the Smash polls. Most of these characters were NOT even in the top 50 of the Smash poll. If Nintendo would pick characters off their polls, people would be happy. They did that with KRool and Ridley and it made everyone happy. Why do a poll and ignore it?

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Let's face it: the typical argument here boils down to "They're not on my wanted list, so I don't like them!"

I'm also someone who plays mainly Xbox, I started with a Genesis instead of an NES, and I've never really been a fan of JRPGs and/or the anime aesthetic. As such, 3/5 of the leaked characters are ones I've never heard of, and of the other two, one I don't like how it looks or moves, and the other I don't like because it represents a block to getting my most wanted.

Do I think that they're bad choices? No. Do I think that they are literal unknowns to anyone? No. Do I think people will be hyped by them? Of course! Will I? Absolutely not.

I'm noticing hostility on both sides here. People who aren't hyped express their opinion, but then overstate it - they tend to argue that "this character has something I don't like so nobody should like it, therefore it's the worst choice ever!" But then the people who are hyped come down hard and call them an idiot for not liking the same things that the majority do. My biggest example is Joker - I say I'm not a fan of it and don't know it since I avoid JRPGs and don't have a PS, and people immediately hit me with "You should know it! It's one of the best RPGs ever! It won best RPG at The Game Awards! It got nominated to Game of the Year!" My immediate thought was ... and Skyrim was not only nominated in those categories back in 2011 (when it was Spike Game Awards), it won both, unlike Persona 5. Oh, and Famitsu, a Japanese reviewer, gave Skyrim a perfect score, again unlike Persona 5. But I'm never going to run everywhere claiming that people who don't know Skyrim are idiots who live under a rock. I realize some people just aren't into the gritty-medieval-fantasy-monochrome-first-person WRPG.

So, maybe let's tone down the "These characters are terrible and nobody likes them!" posts. And also the "Your tears are delicious!" posts. I see nothing wrong with someone saying that these are the best choices so they can't wait to get them. There's also nothing wrong with saying that a person really doesn't like them so they're gonna save their money because they wanted a different character. Neither is a wrong opinion.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
Someone address my Smash Poll comment? You can't because it is TRUE. Nintendo IGNORED the poll. My characters are on the poll and are wanted for the game. Go read the Character Discussion thread. These characters have more posts and threads and have had running fanbase through the Smash Ultimate development.

I don't see Steve's thread getting that attention on here.

I don't see Steve anywhere in the top 50 of any polls for characters to put into Smash Ultimate. Banjo is actually the top 3rd party character on nearly every poll.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
Let's face it: the typical argument here boils down to "They're not on my wanted list, so I don't like them!"

I'm also someone who plays mainly Xbox, I started with a Genesis instead of an NES, and I've never really been a fan of JRPGs and/or the anime aesthetic. As such, 3/5 of the leaked characters are ones I've never heard of, and of the other two, one I don't like how it looks or moves, and the other I don't like because it represents a block to getting my most wanted.

Do I think that they're bad choices? No. Do I think that they are literal unknowns to anyone? No. Do I think people will be hyped by them? Of course! Will I? Absolutely not.

I'm noticing hostility on both sides here. People who aren't hyped express their opinion, but then overstate it - they tend to argue that "this character has something I don't like so nobody should like it, therefore it's the worst choice ever!" But then the people who are hyped come down hard and call them an idiot for not liking the same things that the majority do. My biggest example is Joker - I say I'm not a fan of it and don't know it since I avoid JRPGs and don't have a PS, and people immediately hit me with "You should know it! It's one of the best RPGs ever! It won best RPG at The Game Awards! It got nominated to Game of the Year!" My immediate thought was ... and Skyrim was not only nominated in those categories back in 2011 (when it was Spike Game Awards), it won both, unlike Persona. But I'm never going to run everywhere claiming that people who don't know Skyrim are idiots who live under a rock.

So, maybe let's tone down the "These characters are terrible and nobody likes them!" posts. And also the "Your tears are delicious!" posts. I see nothing wrong with someone saying that these are the best choices so they can't wait to get them. There's also nothing wrong with saying that a person really doesn't like them so they're gonna save their money because they wanted a different character. Neither is a wrong opinion.
I'm fine if people don't want or don't care for the characters, that's fair.
It's when people start making up fan rules why the characters shouldn't be in, it's absurd, people should just own up to it. I don't like all the characters on the list either (which likely isn't even real anyways).

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Someone address my Smash Poll comment? You can't because it is TRUE. Nintendo IGNORED the poll. My characters are on the poll and are wanted for the game. Go read the Character Discussion thread. These characters have more posts and threads and have had running fanbase through the Smash Ultimate development.

I don't see Steve anywhere in the top 50 of any polls for characters to put into Smash Ultimate. Banjo is actually the top 3rd party character on nearly every poll.
Ok. Now is it a fanmade poll that was put solely in an echo chamber or was it the Smash ballot?

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982

Honestly my stance always has been the following:

The ballot was for the base roster. The DLC is executive decisions.

D

Deleted member

I'm noticing hostility on both sides here. People who aren't hyped express their opinion, but then overstate it - they tend to argue that "this character has something I don't like so nobody should like it, therefore it's the worst choice ever!" But then the people who are hyped come down hard and call them an idiot for not liking the same things that the majority do. My biggest example is Joker - I say I'm not a fan of it and don't know it since I avoid JRPGs and don't have a PS, and people immediately hit me with "You should know it! It's one of the best RPGs ever! It won best RPG at The Game Awards! It got nominated to Game of the Year!" My immediate thought was ... and Skyrim was not only nominated in those categories back in 2011 (when it was Spike Game Awards), it won both, unlike Persona 5. Oh, and Famitsu, a Japanese reviewer, gave Skyrim a perfect score, again unlike Persona 5. But I'm never going to run everywhere claiming that people who don't know Skyrim are idiots who live under a rock. I realize some people just aren't into the gritty-medieval-fantasy-monochrome-first-person WRPG.

Which version of Skyrim should i pick, now that you mention it?

I’m not sure if i should go for the PC version or the Switch one.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
To be on the cusp of a potential Dragon Quest character reveal after years and years of advocation is surreal. Even if it's not the character I was specifcally requesting (that would be Slime). Still, I'll take it and be more than happy.

Untouch

Smash Master

PC has mods, Switch is portable.
Switch is probably the best console version (runs the best).

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
But where is the line drawn for what constitutes a "traditional" Smash fan? Ballot exit polls don't necessarily show the majority opinion for everyone just because they did for K. Rool.

Obviously I don't have an issue with you not liking the content of the pass. For me, Dragon Quest annoys me due to its composer being the human equivalent of a **** stain on a public toilet seat, but I understand why Erdrick is supposedly in, since a new Dragon Quest release amounts to what is basically a national holiday in Japan.

My issue is when you say things like Persona 5 is some unknown game despite its presence at The Game Awards and its GOTY nomination, or saying people don't know Steve when he's merchandised to hell and back.

And this is coming from someone who has two huge wants remaining, with one of them being Crash.

Untouch

Smash Master
IIRC Sakurai mentioned that Simon did well on the official ballot but I never saw him score very well on fan ballots.
They aren't representative.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
The characters that I want polled well in the Smash polls. Most of these characters were NOT even in the top 50 of the Smash poll. If Nintendo would pick characters off their polls, people would be happy. They did that with KRool and Ridley and it made everyone happy. Why do a poll and ignore it?
Polls targeting Smash Bros fans (unofficial at that) are a tiny fraction of the wider market. Nintendo has bigger and more detailed numbers than we ever will. They know how to profit. These are potentially what they went with assuming the rumor isn't bunk. They picked these for a reason.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

PC has mods, Switch is portable.
Switch is probably the best console version (runs the best).
Then i need to decide between mods and better graphics or portability and best console graphics.

I’ll think about it.

D

Deleted member

Doing a simple bit of research will show you just how positive the reaction to Joker was. Also, having more games in your franchise =/= having an objectively better franchise. Crash and Rayman don't have anywhere close the amount of games or popularity FF has.

Joker's trailer was in the top 20 trending videos for YouTube gaming. That ain't obscure.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I've been a little out of the loop, does the Doom Marine/Steve/Ryu Hayabusa leak have anything backing it up that isn't an Erdrick prediction? Because there's a million and one 4chan leaks that have listed Erdrick in some form.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I've been a little out of the loop, does the Doom Marine/Steve/Ryu Hayabusa leak have anything backing it up that isn't an Erdrick prediction? Because there's a million and one 4chan leaks that have listed Erdrick in some form.
It claimed P5R would be a 2019 game and claimed Granblue VS would be a thing. Although for the latter it's very possible it was just piggybacking from Hitagi

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
To be on the cusp of a potential Dragon Quest character reveal after years and years of advocation is surreal. Even if it's not the character I was specifcally requesting (that would be Slime). Still, I'll take it and be more than happy.
I'm curious, what do you think a non-Slime Dragon Quest character could do? If the signs are pointing more towards Erdrick, I'm not sure what they could offer considering the original trilogy was from a first person perspective.

Granted I myself have only played through the original Dragon Quest (I hear DQII has huge balance issues).

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I mean the western Smash fans got Ridley in the game. It’s not just about us. There’s eastern fans too and Dragon Quest games are huge over there so quit ******** about Erdrick being possibly in Smash and be happy for the people that wanted him or any Dragon Quest representation in.

D

Deleted member

DQ is a monumental game series for JRPG history. Its inclusion would be awesome and incredibly fitting.

Plus, while it isn't quite Chrono Trigger, it's in the same artstyle, so I kind of get a CT character. It'll do! :p

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

It really depends on what you like. If you want mods (and you most likely do - the game is loads better with the unofficial patches [fixes a lot of minor bugs like plants that are not completely grounded or misaligned textures], and the default font looks too modern compared to the rest of the game), you probably want the PC or Xbox version. The Special Edition set up that it's easy to put in these mods as well. They also hoave paid mods, which is a bit of a sore spot, but they're optional. I am all in for the survival one though, since I like my open-world games hard. The benefits with the Switch version are the portability and the Zelda gear, ad it also gives you the motion-sensor aiming, but then you can't get the mods.

It is also a game from 2011, so it holds up graphically and mechanically, but I'm never going to claim that it's perfect compared to more modern games. Still, it's a great way to lose yourself for hours on end, and it shares a lot of overlap with the new Zelda game. I'd look at this guide for First Time players. This site is a conglomerate for all Elder Scrolls lore if you're interested, but these tips will help if you want to get an idea of how to set up your character well.

But take your time if you are playing it. The lore in game is immense, so I'd suggest going through slowly and taking your time to read the in-game books. I still remember my first time playing, I was going to Whiterun and night fell, and then there was a beautiful aurora in the sky. I've never played a game that made me stop just to look at the sky in wonder.

GameWatching

Smash Ace
I doubt it. Most people who play Minecraft don't know who Steve is. Steve got HUGE backlash when he was first announced on this board by all Smash fans. Similar, the backlash against him on youtube and twitter is high. If Steve was a wanted character, why didn't he place in the Smash poll?

Frankly, a Minecraft level would be enough to please the fans. I am surprised Nintendo just doesn't do a Minecraft Avatar as the character (similar to Villager or Robin).
Smash fans aka the vocal Smash and Banjo fans.
And what Smash poll ? The ballot ? Because the results were never out for that one, and the few fan polls scattered around aren't anything concrete. There is a possibility that Banjo didn't place as highly as you think.

Also "more deserving" or "better fit" is as arbitrary and subjective as it gets.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
It claimed P5R would be a 2019 game and claimed Granblue VS would be a thing. Although for the latter it's very possible it was just piggybacking from Hitagi
Which is exactly why I don't believe the rumor just yet. Everything that was stated there aside from Doomguy and Hayabusa was rumored beforehand.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was the Japanese equivalent to what the Grinch Leak was for us.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Sigh.

If Smash was only about “hall of fame” series, it wouldn’t be nearly as good as it is now. This is why I hate “reps” simply to “rep things”. For example, “We need a Microsoft rep! We need a puzzle game rep! We need reps for x, y, and z!”

I love Smash and speculating about it, but thank goodness the speculation community doesn’t dictate what the roster looks like.

Well, except for what happened with Ultimate of course. :awesome:

But for real. I get that Smash seems to be starting to take on a “hall of fame” appearance. The thing is though that characters come down to who wants to play as them. For the Sonic series, the most popular picks (at least for the internet) were Shadow and Knuckles. Those two are pretty much out of the running for now. It absolutely makes more sense to go for a different series that may even have fewer titles.

People will interpret the “rules” or “qualifications” characters need, but lets be real, the speculation community has never actually been good at narrowing down the options. Now we’re talking about a fake leak, or fake leaks that have no credibility.

Steve should be brought into question. The fact that so many people are effectively assuming he is in suggests that quite the amount of information is being ignored. The main reason he even started becoming a big topic is because of leakers, and those same leakers seem to have become confused. Nobody questions the source it came from. We should be doing that more often rather than believing the leaks that tell us what we want to hear.

I’ll be posting a roster later, and some people may like it, others won’t. I just love making them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom