• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
What characters represent which LoZ games?

Yink - OoT
Link - BotW
Well, what you already said, there's also
TLink which draws mostly on WW,
GDorf - OoT
Sheik - OoT (wearing BotW clothing)
Zelda - ALttP
:ultgreninja:d
Basically, screw MM, TP, and SS. We don't acknowledge them.

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
Well, what you already said, there's also
TLink which draws mostly on WW,
GDorf - OoT
Sheik - OoT (wearing BotW clothing)
Zelda - ALttP
:ultgreninja:d
Basically, screw MM and TP, we don't acknowledge them.
Honestly... Better than before. We traded TP for OoT, BotW, and LttP. That's a really good trade imo.

kylexv

Smash Master
I have no idea why, but I want Nintendo/Sakurai to release more echo fighters through free updates.

Maybe then can we get the Dixie we've all been waiting for, even if it means everything is the same as Diddy except jab and Up-B.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Ghirahim, Zant, and Skull Kid are just sitting in the "non-playable Zelda villain" room forever.
The fact that Skull Kid got buried again tells me Sakurai doesn't know his Zelda

Only ones left at this point are Impa and Vaati

Iridium

Smash Hero
Ghirahim, Zant, and Skull Kid are just sitting in the "non-playable Zelda villain" room forever.
Perhaps Vaati too. I don't even know if Yuga even has as much of a chance as the others, though. Probably not.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ganondorf also represents the Space World Demo, explicitly using the same sword from it. But otherwise, OOT.

Pretty sure Zelda is focused on ALTTP with a bit of ALBW in her design, though?

Potato_

Smash Lord
The Hookshot in MM is different from the one in OOT. Same with the Bow design. He was always OOT-based from the start.

The MM stuff never actually existed for Yink in Smash, it's just people using that as a justification for why he can use Adult Link stuff.
Nah, but those are actions MM Link could do, not actual references to MM
The bow and arrow is OoT's, the hookshot is OoT's too.
I don't see those as references to MM unless Melee Adult Link using the boomerang is a reference to... I dunno, a Link to the past.
View attachment 175741
This is a pretty comprehensive list of what I'm talking about
Fair enough, the designs are OoT based I'd assume for practical reasons, as they could just copy the same model for both Link and Young Link back in the day.

Does make it feel a lot worse in Ultimate though, as they presumably just remade old Young Link without much thought into making him more of his own character aesthetically. Which is a real damn shame when you consider that Pichu got a bunch of creative new alts when Young Link is stuck with "hey we changed his tunic color guys!"

They put enough work into Ganondorf Link and Zelda to differentiate them, which REALLY makes me wonder why Young Link just got forgotten about.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
They couldn't have made one of Simon's palettes in reference to his red/black Kojima design, huh?

That's fairly disappointing.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Link BotW; Zelda LttP; Ganondorf OoT; Toon Link WW; Impa SS; Skull Kid MM; Midna TP
- With just seven characters they could represent all the 3D games plus LttP. This would be the ideal Zelda roster without going too overboard on newcomers. Still, at least Zelda's stage list is great in its coverage.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Fair enough, the designs are OoT based I'd assume for practical reasons, as they could just copy the same model for both Link and Young Link back in the day.

Does make it feel a lot worse in Ultimate though, as they presumably just remade old Young Link without much thought into making him more of his own character aesthetically. Which is a real damn shame when you consider that Pichu got a bunch of creative new alts when Young Link is stuck with "hey we changed his tunic color guys!"

They put enough work into Ganondorf Link and Zelda to differentiate them, which REALLY makes me wonder why Young Link just got forgotten about.
Link was pretty much updated to BOTW. Young Link represents classic Link better, so he may not have been forgotten about so much as being the ideal way to keep the older style.

Not unlike how Dr. Mario is pretty much classic Smash Mario.

Enchess

Smash Lord
They couldn't have made one of Simon's palettes in reference to his red/black Kojima design, huh?

I'm more disappointed Richter's Soma alt doesn't even bother changing hair color...

Iridium

Smash Hero

Chronicles?

Yeah, unfortunate that nothing really suggests we got it.

Edit: Am I mistaken?

Last edited:

ShadowGamer193

Smash Journeyman
Tbh, we just need Sakurai to come out and say wether or not ATs can become playable characters as DLC. A lot of character such as Isaac and Ashley will lose supporters cause of the fan rule that ATs can’t become playable

Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord
Link was pretty much updated to BOTW. Young Link represents classic Link better, so he may not have been forgotten about so much as being the ideal way to keep the older style.

Not unlike how Dr. Mario is pretty much classic Smash Mario.
Oh don't get me wrong I understand the gameplay reason for it, and I love that they kept the oldschool Link kit.

What I'm talking about are the aesthetic inconsistencies. They could have made him more closely resemble MM as another nod to a classic Zelda game. Considering Ganondorf already represents OoT.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Question to the room.

Should there even be any "Mario____" with just Mario/DK characters anymore?

I mean having more Nintendo characters in Tennis and Kart seems like a grand idea.

#:ultbayonetta: invite her to everything, please.

Last edited:

kylexv

Smash Master
Assist Trophies in Smash 4 that are not assist trophies in Smash Ultimate:
  • Elec Man
  • Infantry and Tanks
  • Kat and Ana
  • Lakitu
  • Magnus
  • Saki
  • Tingle
  • :ultdarksamus::ultisabelle:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
And Piranha Plant doesn't even wear a hat.

Best boi can look stylish if he wants, he just needs some outside assistance.

I absolutely love how Piranha Plant can exude such character, despite literally having no eyes.

He's also already getting fantastic fanart.
1541379668450.png

I love him so much.:ultpiranha:

Louisacommie

Smash Apprentice
If Zelda gets a rep it will be a champion

Or pig ganon

Of course sakurai hates Zelda so I don't have my hopes up

Iridium

Smash Hero
Question to the room.

Should there even be any "Mario____" with just Mario/DK characters anymore?

I mean having more Nintendo characters in Tennis and Kart seems like a grand idea.

I mean, if it gets :ultfalcon: to appear in something outside of just Smash, then sure. Perhaps Star Fox characters could work too.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Oh don't get me wrong I understand the gameplay reason for it, and I love that they kept the oldschool Link kit.

What I'm talking about are the aesthetic inconsistencies. They could have made him more closely resemble MM as another nod to a classic Zelda game. Considering Ganondorf already represents OoT.
Well, Shiek is more BOTW than OOT now, so who knows. Clearly some shortcuts were taken. I mean, Chrom's in Robin's Final Smash still, Daisy is nothing more than aesthetic changes with a few tiny differences(so basically appears to be Dark Pit instead of Lucina at this point). He was probably way easier to port over that way?

That, and the most important thing about MM is the masks. If you don't have those, it feels pointless to try and update his moveset. Go all in or don't bother type of thing. He likely was lower priority for changes.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
No he doesn't! Why would you think that?
I don't think Sakurai hates LOZ, but he hasn't felt it necessary to add an additional non clone LOZ character since Melee, focusing mainly reworking the characters that are already in.

I guess he just feels like Ganon, Zelda, Link is all the rep LOZ needs

Enchess

Smash Lord
Question to the room.

Should there even be any "Mario____" anymore?

I'd say no, unless they'll stop limiting themselves in Mario characters. No RPG characters like Fawful? No Paulina? DK and Diddy, but no other DKC? They don't need to go outside Mario to shake things up, but it seems that's the only way it'll happen.

(Btw, this is coming from a Goomba main, Dry Bones secondary)

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Pig Ganon is the real slept on potential Zelda rep imo. There's a lot that can be done with him, and he's still prevalent in the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom