• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
A bit late to the party. In the end I'm still glad I stayed skeptic on the Grinch leak. I was actually concerned I would have to play too many mains. Banjo can either wait for DLC or stay as a sweet memory of my childhood. There are still a lot to be thankful for here.
Incineroar is as cool looking as I hoped to be, always a fan of wrestlers in fighting games. Ken is still... red. And Piranha Plant is what this game needed. Because it wouldn't feel like Smash if there wasn't a character out of the blue just to bamboozle us.
Of course, there are casualties with Assist Trophies. Personally sad about Spring Man (ARMS doesn't get the respect it deserves). But as I said before, I already have like 5 characters I want to main and another 20 I like to play a lot at least.

But now? Well, now we wait... well, actually I still have like 1 hour of gameplay I haven't seen. And I need to watch the whole Direct at least 5 more times. Hopefully it will be the shortest month in history.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Can someone help me look for Spirits related to Digimon?

Please

Last edited:

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
I feel like almost every time I see you post here you bring it up. I'm sure there's been a number times you haven't mentioned it at all but that's just what it feels like. Even when you're talking about other things it feels like you sometimes need to slide in a sly, off hand comment about it.

Like I don't want to be mean or anything but don't pretend like it's only this little thing you bring up on rare occasions.
Only if everyone else stops pretending it’s the ONLY thing I post about.

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
So, what do you guys think the release schedule for the DLC will look like? I'm thinking it will be pretty similar to the 3DS/Wii U release schedule (we already know it ends in February, much like 3SDS/Wii U).

February 2019- Piranha Plant
June 2019 (E3)- 2 new characters
Late 2019- 1 new character
February 2020- 2 new characters

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
He's going to pick Persona (probably Yu, because Joker's too recent) because it's popular.
There's a slight chance he'll pick either Hero (first guy), Demi-fiend (most popular), or Flynn (most recent, almost as popular) due to historical significance.

Deep Nintendo ties might help SMT infinitesimally, as a sort of courtesy, but Yu is far, far, far more recognizable, and that accounts for far more. After all, we did get Cloud over Warrior of Light/Onion Knight/Terra Branford (though I honestly would've preferred any of those three over Cloud)
True, when it comes to popular SMT/Persona picks Yu seems to be the obvious one.

SMT is a bit tricky since it's like FE, except the 1st Protagonist is not nearly as recognizable as Marth (unless he gets into Smash anyway)

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Do people think Sakurai would go with a SMT rep (like Flynn or Demi-Fiend) because it's always on Nintendo platforms now, or with Persona (maybe Joker) for the popular choice?
Two words.

Bunny. Ears.

It's SMT but has some similarities to persona, best of both worlds.

D

Deleted member

Unfortunately, I have never played a SMT or Persona game.

Cheers for good DLC.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Super delayed thoughts on the Direct (I watched the direct at like, 5 pm CT):

My Personal Pros:
- The Ken and Incineroar trailer was perfect. Exactly like how I imagined it would be.
- Ken himself is wonderful. His moveset and flair match his character. He also looks, much, much better in Smash than he did in SFV.
- Incineroar is pretty cool. He's my least favorite of the Alolan starters, but damn can 'Cinie put on a show.
- Incineroar is fighter 69. That itself is wonderful.
- Spirits took me a minute to understand, but I think I got the gist of it. Bit like Event Mode in a way, it's nice.
- That World of Light trailer was amazing. 10/10 currently watching time and time again.
- The fact that a huge single player mode exists at all is great for me, and others like me that don't have too many friends to play Smash with.
- Smash Bros. with lyrics was already great in Brawl, now it's even more amazing for Ultimate.

My Personal Cons
- The overall structure of the Direct was poor, took me watching it a few times to fully understand some things
- IMO, it wasn't necessary to go over stuff like tips or language settings. To me, miscellaneous stuff like that doesn't really need to be highlighted.
- Shadow and Isaac as AT's again made me sad. Oh well.
- I don't really like Piranha Plant as a fighter as much as I like the chaos it causes. I'm already not too big on joke characters, but typically I warm up to them (like R.O.B. and WFT). I don't see myself liking PP that much; he's just boring to me. Oh well. At least he's DLC so I don't have to get him, and in IMO I won't lose out much on not getting him.

Overall 7/10, could've been better, but also could've been a lot worse. The August Direct was the best Smash Ultimate presentation IMO.

And now, with my profile pic updated, it's time to ride the Elma DLC Hope Train to its fullest. Let the mission begin!
Remember though, P. Plant apparently comes with a stage and music as well, despite not being a part of the Fighters Pass.

So you'd also be missing out on those as well.

SargeAbernathy

Smash Apprentice
Every time I see the World of Light trailer, it makes me hyped more and more. Let's call it "Healing" ;) I'm still salty I'll admit ... but that trailer really was top notch.

Anyway, if it hasn't been stated before ... the Isaac situation is actually something one could make into an absolute positive. The likelihood of him being a playable character is kinda low. There's always a possibility he could be DLC, but this really had been his one shot.

The GREAT news is that his hype was LONG LASTING. He had been speculated from the start, it was spurred on by that photo and the leak, and there was an overall positive vibe about him being a character. Golden Sun proved its nostalgia factor and the Smash Speculation gave a lot of energy for it.

So, as I've seen on Twitter, turn the attention toward REVIVING THE SERIES. I think now would be a great time to do so. It should be quite obvious to Nintendo that there is/was something to that franchise. A new game would be a welcomed addition for those fans.

Last edited:

Rummy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rummy
Switch FC
7820-4094-4523
There's still hope for DLC!

Also Fire Cat looks awesome, i took me awhile to swallow the L Pill but i'm down with his style now.

SargeAbernathy

Smash Apprentice
DLC is already planned. Why would he make an AT, then a playable character of said AT right after?
In response to fan request. They may have been taken back by the long lasting support for the character.

Now is it likely they would do that? Probably not, but there is no rule that says it couldn't happen.

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
So I don't know a lot about this Joker guy a lot of people want but honestly the only reason I can think of that would make me want him is an event where you play as Shulk in an 8 player smash or multi man h and the event was called "What a buncha Jokers!"

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Now that everything's calmed down, I'd like to say something that should have been said some time ago;
If you're not satisfied with the final outcome, that's perfectly fine.
If you wanted to see a little extra goodies, that's okay.
If you disagree with characters people are looking forward to, that's fine too.

But...

If you're throwing a complete and utter temper tantrum over your picks not getting in and verbally attacking Sakurai, the rest of SORA, and anyone who disagrees with your own opinions, then you have no right to call yourself a fan. It doesn't matter who you support - Waluigi, Isaac, Shadow, et cetera - you're free to campaign for these characters all you like, but if you're doing so by cyberbullying and wishing death and suffering on the devs and your fellow fans, then you shouldn't be allowed to go online for a good while. Try putting the compy to sleep and going out for a spa day or something to ease your stress, don't make the rest of your characters' support base look bad.​

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
Why are people talking about Piranha Plant coming with a stage? They were pretty explicit about it being just a bonus character. Only the 5 paid characters come with stages.

If someone can prove me wrong, then by all means do. I would be more accepting of the Piranha Plant if there was a stage, but based on the evidence I've seen there isn't one.

Untouch

Smash Master
Why are people talking about Piranha Plant coming with a stage? They were pretty explicit about it being just a bonus character. Only the 5 paid characters come with stages.

If someone can prove me wrong, then by all means do. I would be more accepting of the Piranha Plant if there was a stage, but based on the evidence I've seen there isn't one.
It says they have a stage with their description.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Real talk: Sakurai is gonna start having to make some tough choices. Smash is no longer a question of who deserves it the most, but now who could qualify and hasn't already been deconfirmed, basically. Obviously DLC has probably been planned, but that is what likely has gone through his head.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm thinking, 1st party DLCs could be as much for stages from recent games as it could for the characters.

For example:

Dixie Kong with Tropical Freeze based stage (replace the DKCR one we lost)
Bandanna Waddle Dee with Kirby Star Allies stage
Sceptile with an Alola stage (odd combo but bear with me)

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
DLC predictions? Here’s mine in no particular order!

1. Geno

2. Banjo and Kazooie

3. Adult Isaac or Mathew

4. Magnus

5. Chorus Kids

Last edited:

Rhus

We're going top speed!
Remember when the "can't walk through characters/shields" was heavily rumoured to be a bug?

Do we have evidence of the contrary now that the new build with all the characters is floating around and was played on Treehouse?

D

Deleted member

Well, they're fun.
But let me tell you right now, despite both being Atlus JRPGs, they could not possibly be more different in terms of story.
View attachment 174893
The message is now clear, thank you.

You should be grateful for this direct, you got SMT stuff in Smash.

Also is SMT and Persona in the same world?

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If my predictions are right then the stages I'm expecting.

-Bandana Dee - Kirby Stage
-Banjo-Kazooie - Spiral Mountain
-Lloyd Irving - Tales of Symphonia stage
-Rayman - Rayman stage
-Sora - Kingdom Hearts stage

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
It's been 12 hours since the direct I still believe I'm in a pleasant fever dream because of my man the Plant Guy

D

Deleted member

I want Piranha Plant to go in my room, read me a bedtime story and encourage me that my dreams are possible as long as I work hard every morning.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
About Dixie and Geno inclusion as Spirits.
You're saying that because they chose the characters for DLC prior to the launch, some characters havings spirits form show they were not planned as playable.

But let take the other route. Let's imagine that Dixie or Geno spiritsaudades was missing. Wouldn't it be weird? I think that not inserting one of this characters as Spirits would spoiler that they were planned as playable characters.
As they should be present somehow, they need to be spirits or they would be considered "shoe-in" after launch.

Ignore spirits. K.Rool is one of them.
He's also playable.

Dyamanttine

Smash Journeyman
If my predictions are right then the stages I'm expecting.

-Bandana Dee - Kirby Stage
-Banjo-Kazooie - Spiral Mountain
-Lloyd Irving - Tales of Symphonia stage
-Rayman - Rayman stage
-Sora - Kingdom Hearts stage
You must have good taste for including Rayman like that <3

Untouch

Smash Master
Okay, watching the treehouse I noticed something...
Every time they finished a match, they NEVER showed the stage select screen, they always cut to them on the chairs.
They always showed the character select screen though.

This seems deliberate.

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992

You can find that info right here:
1541125951623.png

https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/d...ltimate-nintendo-direct-unleashes-new-details

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom