• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
Because it is ALL you talk about in this thread lol
Then you are a VERY selective reader. Never mind that I’ve been speculating about Pirhanra plant’s availability, gloating that Pichu having better outfits than Pika, complaining about fire flower Mario, Leaf having to use palette swapped pokemon, normal Samus not having her SR suit...

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Well spirits are essentially the new trophies.
We got a Mewtwo and Lucas trophy in Smash 4 and still got them as DLC, so i'd say it matters little.
What i'm really worried about, is if his Mii costume is still in.
Inklings are still Mii costumes, too.

D

Deleted member

Spirits looks awesome.

Pirhana Plant is hilarious guys- try to see the humour!

All Star is streamlined so that we don't have to suffer though that arduous experience 75 times.

Online is better. It'll be better, especially if you make it to elite.

Challenges are back and they look great.

Ken and Incineroar both look really fun. The wrestler is especially charasmatic and Ken looks to have like, 15x more personality than Ryu (is that the same in Street Fighter?)

The final cut scene was soooo epic.

DLC! Five more characters!

Yeah, that Direct was amazing.

Coupled with the already fantastic looking Classic Mode... I'm so bloody hyped.
FINALLY, A PERSON WHO AGREES THAT THE DIRECT WAS AMAZING!

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
So, who's everyone's most anticipated newcomer?

For me, it's Incineroar...
Having chosen Litten in Sun Moon, he has a soft spot for me...

Honorable mentions to Inkling, Richter, and Isabelle
For base, I'm feeling Richter as my most anticipated newcomer, if only because I've just recently gained a newfound appreciation for Castlevania, having played SCIV, RoB and SotN. Ridley's a very close second as a long-time Metroid fan, with Inkling, Incineroar and Isabelle rounding out my top 5 anticipated newcomers for base.

I've really warmed up to the idea of Piranha Plant though, and rewatching its gameplay footage, it looks so quirky and endearing that I can't help but love the little guy. It may just claw its way up to being a main for me, and I never knew I wanted him before now.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Inklings are still Mii costumes, too.
You know what I wouldn't be surprised by? I wouldn't be surprised if all the DLC from Smash 4 (except trophies and Miiverse) returned in Ultimate. I think a lot of it has already been confirmed, and I'm seeing a few returning DLC pieces already.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
YOU GUYS YOU GUYS YOU GUYS

LOOK AT THIS

YOU SEE THE ONE IN THE MIDDLE? THAT'S TSUBASA FROM TOKYO MIRAGE SESSIONS #FE, ALSO KNOWN AS SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI X FIRE EMBLEM.

THIS IS A CRUCIAL FIRST STEP TO AN SMT OR PERSONA CHARACTER. WE'VE BEEN ACKNOWLEDGED.

Idon Idon BUDDY WE'RE IN BUSINESS!!!
Yup, I've mentioned this before in the support thread, but we're finally here.

In an extremely roundabout way,
with 15 years since the first international exposure to Atlus jrpgs,
through an extremely bizarre spinoff crossover,

we finally have something that is technically Megaten... in Smash.
demi-fiend something.jpg

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
But Sakurai won't be involved with all of them, and over time some characters will be taken out... It just wouldn't be the same.
I can handle a Sakurai-less season four and seasons five and six which I sort of tune out of, because seasons one through three will be incredible. ^_^

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Young Link has Triforce Slash.

Diddy does a drive-by bombardment with Rocketbarrel Barrage similar to Super Sonic.

Lucario transforms into Mega Lucario than does Brawl Aura Storm, as we guessed.

Yoshi calls a stampede of Yoshis based off of Melee's intro.

So there's four more Final Smashes down.
Daisy also has Peach's Smash 4 FS, but hers spawns giant daisies instead of peaches.

I still want to see Robin's FS.

Penroze

The Surreal Deal
Switch FC
SW-7239-4479-0495
So, who's everyone's most anticipated newcomer?

For me, it's Incineroar...
Having chosen Litten in Sun Moon, he has a soft spot for me...

Honorable mentions to Inkling, Richter, and Isabelle
Isabelle! As a big Villager main, I'm itching to use another character with a similar playstyle to him.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Young Link has Triforce Slash.

Diddy does a drive-by bombardment with Rocketbarrel Barrage similar to Super Sonic.

Lucario transforms into Mega Lucario than does Brawl Aura Storm, as we guessed.

Yoshi calls a stampede of Yoshis based off of Melee's intro.

So there's four more Final Smashes down.
I really like Yoshi's Final Smash, it's a really great callback. The whole "hai guiz imma dragon you in da face" thing never made sense.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Do people think Sakurai would go with a SMT rep (like Flynn or Demi-Fiend) because it's always on Nintendo platforms now, or with Persona (maybe Joker) for the popular choice?

D

Deleted member

Yup, I've mentioned this before in the thread, but we're finally here.

In an extremely roundabout way,
with 15 years since the first american exposure to atlus jrpgs,
through an extremely bizarre spinoff,

we finally have something that is technically Megaten... in Smash.
View attachment 174889
Now you have to say the direct was the best Smash Direct ever.

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
Anyone else think "World of Light" sounds like a Kingdom Hearts name? Also Piranha Plant is probably the character i'd main if Sora didn't get added as dlc. He looks really fun to play honestly.
Honestly, "World of Light" reminds me of something I would see in Dissidia, and would be where the Warrior of Light hails from. Though I can also see where you could attribute it to Kingdom Hearts as well honestly. :laugh:

Sora would be an amazing pick for DLC as well, I agree.

Piranha Plant does look like a lot of fun. I like it when unconventional characters make it into Smash, so I'm definitely going to be giving it a shot once it releases. :)

D

Deleted member

Do people think Sakurai would go with a SMT rep (like Flynn or Demi-Fiend) because it's always on Nintendo platforms now, or with Persona (maybe Joker) for the popular choice?
"Why would you ask something so controversial, yet so brave?"

Why not both options?

Last edited by a moderator:

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
Because you obsess over it.
No, I ask about it every once in a while (this is the last time because if they haven’t changed it by now they never will) and people try to guilt trip me into liking the radical and unnecessary redesign of a video game character for several pages. Everyone ignores all the other things I talk about in the interim.

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't be surprised to either see a DLC mii outfit, spirit or maybe even a full on character from Dragalia.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Okay but seriously though, Over9000BPM Over9000BPM , while I've always tried to be patient with your even I draw the line somewhere. If you really love Samus so much, why do you have to focus so much on just that one aspect of her representation?

Are you not excited for her Turbo super missiles buff allowing for more aggressive play then she's ever had before? For her morph bombs buffs to make them trickier to deal with and get around? The fact that she can now charge her neutral special in the air and cancel the charge into a dash? Regardless of where she places in the tier list, this new Samus seems to have more aggressive and defensive potential then she's ever had in Smash 4. Or how about little details like how the lights on her suit change color when she fires a missile like in the original Metroid?

And what about Zero Suit? Do you not care for his nimble air mobility allowing her to practically dance around her opponents? Her dangerous air combos and stun gun set ups? What about that cool blue trail that follows her when she uses her down special?

It's like if all I ever talked about was Charizard's bad posture. Like yeesh he could look better but there's still plenty of other things for me to love about him, otherwise I wouldn't be such a fan of the character. I make an off hand comment about Pokemon Trainer's nose or voice acting every now again because little things like that do matter to me, but I don't let it stop me from going off about all the other things I love.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
"Why would you ask something so controversial, yet so brave?"

I hope he picks Demi-Fiend and Flynn when it comes to SMT.
I could see either one tbh. SMT V is coming to Switch, so maybe show it some love. But hard to deny Persona 5's appeal, and we might have a Cloud situation (before FF 7 came to Switch anyway)

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Well spirits are essentially the new trophies.
We got a Mewtwo and Lucas trophy in Smash 4 and still got them as DLC, so i'd say it matters little.
What i'm really worried about, is if his Mii costume is still in.
Honestly. If the DLC were planned since beginning I'll say that Geno's chance are near 0 if he's a spirit/icons
Lucas/Mewtwo etc were an afterthought late development.
Here the DLC aren't at all since Rex's reason to be a Mii Costume is that he was even too late to be DLC...so that indeed leave us at 2015/2016.
However if there were planned late...which again doesn't make sense, then he still have a chance.

D

Deleted member

I could see either one tbh. SMT V is coming to Switch, so maybe show it some love. But hard to deny Persona 5's appeal, and we might have a Cloud situation (before FF 7 came to Switch anyway)
TBH, both should get in.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
No, I ask about it every once in a while (this is the last time because if they haven’t changed it by now they never will) and people try to guilt trip me into liking the radical and unnecessary redesign of a video game character for several pages. Everyone ignores all the other things I talk about in the interim.
I feel like almost every time I see you post here you bring it up. I'm sure there's been a number times you haven't mentioned it at all but that's just what it feels like. Even when you're talking about other things it feels like you sometimes need to slide in a sly, off hand comment about it.

Like I don't want to be mean or anything but don't pretend like it's only this little thing you bring up on rare occasions.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
He's going to pick Persona (probably Yu, because Joker's too recent) because it's popular.
There's a slight chance he'll pick either Hero (first guy), Demi-fiend (most popular), or Flynn (most recent, almost as popular) due to historical significance.

Deep Nintendo ties might help SMT infinitesimally, as a sort of courtesy, but Yu is far, far, far more recognizable, and that accounts for far more. After all, we did get Cloud over Warrior of Light/Onion Knight/Terra Branford (though I honestly would've preferred any of those three over Cloud)
Even with SMTV on the distant horizon, it's still a niche fanbase that will buy and support it.

Plus, if you ask me, Sakurai seems to be the type of man who just shoves every Megaten related thing under the umbrella of "Megaten" and would assume that Yu would properly represent the entirety of that genre)

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Just got back from work and I have to say, I enjoyed the direct despite Box Theory being a thing. Enjoyed Piranha Plant and I ended up correct in cautions towards the Grinch leak. Overall, I'm excited and can't wait for this game to come out

My One and only disappointment is Ashley still being an assist. I really hope for some sort of promotion pack sometime after the first 5 DLC characters are added. I feel that with a few promotions (Namely Ashley, Waluigi, Springman, Dixie, Rex and Isaac) and the first (and hopefully not the last) wave of DLC that it would be a perfect roster for many many people. That's my main hope for this game going forward.

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
Super delayed thoughts on the Direct (I watched the direct at like, 5 pm CT):

My Personal Pros:
- The Ken and Incineroar trailer was perfect. Exactly like how I imagined it would be.
- Ken himself is wonderful. His moveset and flair match his character. He also looks, much, much better in Smash than he did in SFV.
- Incineroar is pretty cool. He's my least favorite of the Alolan starters, but damn can 'Cinie put on a show.
- Incineroar is fighter 69. That itself is wonderful.
- Spirits took me a minute to understand, but I think I got the gist of it. Bit like Event Mode in a way, it's nice.
- That World of Light trailer was amazing. 10/10 currently watching time and time again.
- The fact that a huge single player mode exists at all is great for me, and others like me that don't have too many friends to play Smash with.
- Smash Bros. with lyrics was already great in Brawl, now it's even more amazing for Ultimate.

My Personal Cons
- The overall structure of the Direct was poor, took me watching it a few times to fully understand some things
- IMO, it wasn't necessary to go over stuff like tips or language settings. To me, miscellaneous stuff like that doesn't really need to be highlighted.
- Shadow and Isaac as AT's again made me sad. Oh well.
- I don't really like Piranha Plant as a fighter as much as I like the chaos it causes. I'm already not too big on joke characters, but typically I warm up to them (like R.O.B. and WFT). I don't see myself liking PP that much; he's just boring to me. Oh well. At least he's DLC so I don't have to get him, and in IMO I won't lose out much on not getting him.

Overall 7/10, could've been better, but also could've been a lot worse. The August Direct was the best Smash Ultimate presentation IMO.

And now, with my profile pic updated, it's time to ride the Elma DLC Hope Train to its fullest. Let the mission begin!

Last edited:

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
Okay but seriously though, Over9000BPM Over9000BPM , while I've always tried to be patient with your even I draw the line somewhere. If you really love Samus so much, why do you have to focus so much on just that one aspect of her representation?

Are you not excited for her Turbo super missiles buff allowing for more aggressive play then she's ever had before? For her morph bombs buffs to make them trickier to deal with and get around? The fact that she can now charge her neutral special in the air and cancel the charge into a dash? Regardless of where she places in the tier list, this new Samus seems to have more aggressive and defensive potential then she's ever had in Smash 4. Or how about little details like how the lights on her suit change color when she fires a missile like in the original Metroid?

And what about Zero Suit? Do you not care for his nimble air mobility allowing her to practically dance around her opponents? Her dangerous air combos and stun gun set ups? What about that cool blue trail that follows her when she uses her down special?

It's like if all I ever talked about was Charizard's bad posture. Like yeesh he could look better but there's still plenty of other things for me to love about him, otherwise I wouldn't be such a fan of the character. I make an off hand comment about Pokemon Trainer's nose or voice acting every now again because little things like that do matter to me, but I don't let it stop me from going off about all the other things I love.
Everyone always ignores me talking about other things. All that is dandy and stuff (and admittedly I didn’t even know about half of it) but meh.

D

Deleted member

The Grinch doesn't got Grinched. No, he just : ...

This aged so well.

It's a shame we couldn't be like the whos and all hold hands and sing Lifelight.

"It came without Isaac!"
"It came without Shadow!"
"It came without Rex and Mach Rider and Geno!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom