• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly.... I'm just content that we have closure.

No more dumb theories, and we know to expect only 5 DLC characters(For now), with the first one who's not PP heavily rumored to be the Square character.

I'm just glad no more wars over chairs, music or boxes.

UpgradeX

Smash Cadet
Also, I wonder if the stage builder is indeed gone. No mention of it at all, but it could still be there, somehow. I really want to try it out once more.
I'm curious about that to, maybe they would have said something if they got rid of it.

Last edited:

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I'd say it was one of the only ones that actually worked, fortunately Pokémon knows how to roll with the punches in this regard.

Generation 1: Clefairy was briefly pushed to be the face of the Game, it ended up being Pikachu
Generation 2: I believe the face of the Gen was Marill, not sure who they intended it to be.
Generation 3: Not sure about this one. Gardevoir and Blaziken? Regardless I don't know who they wanted it to be.
Generation 4: They were definitely pushing Lucario, it was a resounding success.
Generation 5: They were pushing Zoroark, not sure whether it worked or not (definitely wasn't as successful as Lucario, at the very least)
Generation 6: Greninja ended up being the face of the Gen, though I think that was sort of a Pikachu deal.
Generation 7: It's definitely Lycanroc and Incineroar they're pushing, it's still too early to tell. Incineroar is certainly divisive.
The face of Gen 3 was May because May is bae
The face that runs the place in Gen 6 is Team Flare because Team Flare rulez

FalcoXP

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3205-1052-7736
I really don't understand the criticism of trophies post-Melee just being model rips from other games when Spirits are equipment mixed with stickers, some of the art being over 20 years old with no bio. I'd rather take a model rip of Miller from MGSV with a short bio for him than a 2D image of that model with +16 to aerial attacks being the only accompanying text.
They played him like a damn fiddle

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Sakurai also said they hadn't decided on characters for DLC yet.

I don't understand how the project plan is relevant for DLC picks. Mind explaining for me? Cause I'll admit I'm not totally sure but I'd think they're unrelated to each other if they haven't decided.

That is if we're taking Sakurai at his word.
At 32:06 in the direct Sakurai literally says:
"We decided which fighters to include when we started planning, so we couldn't add characters from titles like Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which was announce after planning had started"

The text underneath him while he's saying this: While Rex didn't quite make the roster

Look I really wanted Rex as DLC, but this the most blatant deconfirmation you can get.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
You know, the more I think about it, the more I'm getting hyped again.

Why? Butterfly Thanos and the new adventure mode.

This really looks like it could be a lot of fun, and the new theme is gold. I was a bit let down since E3's theme really wasn't as amazing as Brawl's, but the new one with lyrics is actually awesome.

A month and a week to go, and then we can all experience it for ourselves!

My god though they absolutely massacred almost every heavily requested character today. Funnily enough, Rayman, who I thought never had a chance, actually has a decent shot now.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
I really don't think ATs and Pokemon will be promoted as DLC.

Geno still has a chance.
Hoping for Crash and Phoenix Wright as well.

Decidueye would be awesome.

Rex would have the most chance.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I voted I like pie on the poll.. Especially the #IIconic type of pie. :grin:

Last edited:

Ignoritus

Smash Journeyman
I don't know why people are talking about "season 1" of a DLC. The website explicitly says

"Get all game DLC as it’s released with the Fighters Pass!"

There's only going to be 5 DLC sets unless they go back on their word.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Sakurai also said they hadn't decided on characters for DLC yet.

I don't understand how the project plan is relevant for DLC picks. Mind explaining for me? Cause I'll admit I'm not totally sure but I'd think they're unrelated to each other if they haven't decided.

That is if we're taking Sakurai at his word.
Only ones I consider not likely are the Assist Trophies. He wouldn't make them as such if DLC was on the horizon so soon.

At least not among the first five choices.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Anyone else just kinda... Feel diffiused from it? Like it felt like such a long ways away from E3's Everyone is Here. Sort of just took the wind out of the sails for me.

Especially heartbroken by the lack of trophies, home run and break the targets/target smash. And what even with the piranha plant. XD Could development time please go to something that isn't that?
This is me. After all of the hype, this was a huge letdown. Sakurai tried to bring our expectations back to earth, but I don't think he could have successfully done so even sans Grinch leak. Even if we never got the Grinch leak, this direct and end of this smash hype cycle (excluding DLC) was incredibly lackluster and disappointing.

They should have brought out Kencineroar near the beginning, deconfirmed almost all ATs so we wouldn't be in angst for months on end (COUGH SHADOW COUGH ISAAC), and ended off with K Rool and Ridley. They frontloaded this hype cycle so badly that I think it's leaving a bitter taste in a lot of people's mouths - but for everyone like you and I who are disappointed, it seems 10 more people are stoked.

Which isn't a bad thing. I don't care if you like what Smash has become. For me, however, today was the realization that it's just not for me any more.

(^ Basically my attitude with the Pokemon series too)

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
I don't know why people are talking about "season 1" of a DLC. The website explicitly says

"Get all game DLC as it’s released with the Fighters Pass!"

There's only going to be 5 DLC sets unless they go back on their word.
yeah, i'm fairly certain they made a point to not call it a season pass specifically to confirm that the five packs are all we're getting

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Polls updated.

I honestly enjoyed everything the direct had to offer today. I haven't read back on any of this thread other than reports, but I think Piranha is great and spirits mode looks like it will keep me busy.

LuigiBros7

Smash Rookie
Anyone else just kinda... Feel diffiused from it? Like it felt like such a long ways away from E3's Everyone is Here. Sort of just took the wind out of the sails for me.

Especially heartbroken by the lack of trophies, home run and break the targets/target smash. And what even with the piranha plant. XD Could development time please go to something that isn't that?
Yeah, I feel the same way. The game felt massive and bursting at the seams from E3 through the August Direct. Now it just feels compromised. I know that opinion is probably veering on the unfair side, but the sheer amount of asset reuse coupled with cut content doesn't help with the port stigma Ultimate struggled with at first.

Fortnite4Smash

Smash Apprentice
anyway game looks like its lame other than the roster and gameplay, hopefully story mode and DLC is good

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Welp... I just got to watch the direct after getting back from work.

Hold on, I'll be right back...

** Computer clicking

Ah, here we are:

Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 6.12.23 PM.png

Thank the maker, I came off reasonable enough about this that I should avoid the fail compilations.

Also, good advice I had there- bounce out until the chaos dies down. I think I'll follow up on that by doing it again.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
After this Smash game is finally done, I think it's time for us old-timers pass on the baton to younger fans and let them decide who to support. No offense, but I feel like our personal nostalgia and childhoods of yesteryear are hogging the spotlight when it comes to characters. We convince newer fans to support the same old (and sometimes obscure) characters like Isaac, Geno, Skull Kid, and Banjo, only to turn around and bash modern additions like Isabelle and Incineroar because "nobody wanted them".

We've had our time, but I think the new generation is ready to take over the Smash fanbase.
You are right and just to prove your point. I want everyone to think about pokemon. During this speculation cycle, which veretan pokemon received the least warm welcome when it returned? Which pokemon is the first to be taken out when making rosters of the smash reboot?

Pichu

Pichu

Last edited:

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
Oh fantastic what the **** is he up to now, go ahead buddy, destroy my dreams even more.

****ing hate Insiders so much.
Y'all need to take a chill pill. Disconnect from the internet, listen to some relaxing music, whatever it takes to realize that there's no point in being mad over something that was always a huge longshot.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Spot on. I think this Smash really is the swan song to the old order. King K Rool, a vestige of DK's past, finally made it. Ridley, a character long requested for over a decade, finally made it.

Agree with his choices or not, Sakurai really has poured his heart into making this game. I disagree with his exclusion of certain characters that I believe should be playable, nor do I care about the single player at all. It just looks way too cluttered and uninteresting to me. Pretty cutscenes woohoo...I can see those on YouTube. But anything to pull in the more casual audience I suppose - I totally understand that. They can't just cater to old grumpy guys like me.

Never played smash for the single player, and with not enough to hold my interest in the core roster, I'm not going to bother for now.

But in the end, he makes the rules, he calls the shots, and he apparently feels that a lot of very deserving characters with a lot of potential should only be best represented as Assists. I suppose I should be grateful for their being a part of this grand farewell in the first place. And while I may not be getting the game, I am thankful he chose to include K Rool and Ridley, among some others, and his creative efforts really shine through.

People like me are clearly holding him back from what he wants to do. I might not like that, but it's the reality. I'm just kicking against the goads of change at this point. Ultimate is going to be good, but I'm too bitter to partake in the fun. I may be a bitter *******, but I'm a self aware bitter *******. :p
You're a good edgehog, amazonevan19.

A damn good one.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Polls updated.

I honestly enjoyed everything the direct had to offer today. I haven't read back on any of this thread other than reports, but I think Piranha is great and spirits mode looks like it will keep me busy.
Finally, someone who shares my exact same thoughts :p

Blueant22

Smash Rookie
Hi, first post here. Anyways I think that while the direct wasn't the best it was pretty decent, while I'm not really a fan of any of the characters confirmed I'm happy for their fans, and being honest Piranha Plant looks fun and is a hilarious addition, not to mention he kills the "generic enemy" argument people used against Bandana Dee so hopefully he'll be DeeLC. However the best part of the direct for me was when they showed Yoshi's Final Smash as it's exactly what I wanted. Anyways the direct was decent and I can't wait to make friends with lots of people here.

FalcoXP

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3205-1052-7736
This is me. After all of the hype, this was a huge letdown. Sakurai tried to bring our expectations back to earth, but I don't think he could have successfully done so even sans Grinch leak. Even if we never got the Grinch leak, this direct and end of this smash hype cycle (excluding DLC) was incredibly lackluster and disappointing.

They should have brought out Kencineroar near the beginning, deconfirmed almost all ATs so we wouldn't be in angst for months on end (COUGH SHADOW COUGH ISAAC), and ended off with K Rool and Ridley. They frontloaded this hype cycle so badly that I think it's leaving a bitter taste in a lot of people's mouths - but for everyone like you and I who are disappointed, it seems 10 more people are stoked.

Which isn't a bad thing. I don't care if you like what Smash has become. For me, however, today was the realization that it's just not for me any more.

(^ Basically my attitude with the Pokemon series too)
I didnt enjoy Smash 4 'cause i was a college student, I couldnt afford the dlc's or a Wii U, so i played the 3ds version, and Snake wasnt there, so Ultimate is for me the deluxe version of SSB4 and im not mad for that, and the World of Lights thing is exciting.

But I share your opinion with Pokemon.... Sun and Moon were boring for me, and Let's Go (and Masuda's attitude) just buried my passion for Pokemon series.

Cycrum

Smash Apprentice
I personally don't think ATs are likely to be promoted as DLC and Spirits could possibly be promoted, though I see no reason to promote them. Geno and other Spirits would not have as much impact as other characters would for DLC, especially due to them not being very well-known outside of message boards.

For DLC, we will likely see actually iconic third-party characters, newer Nintendo characters, and/or anyone else who can cater to the newer generation. Right now, I'm thinking Steve from Minecraft and Sora are looking highly likely to take 2 of the 5 slots.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I’m a voice over nerd, so I feel like I have to say this but...The Japanese voice actor for for Prof. Oak voices Inciniroar in Smash Ultimate. Shame he died, though. Rest In Peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom