• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
I've actually got three prediction lists:

DLC
  1. Sora
  2. Dixie Kong
  3. Rayman
  4. Steve
  5. Banjo & Kazooie
*One character likely to be substituted with a character from a very recent/upcoming Nintendo game.

Optimistic DLC

1. Sora
  2. [Bandana] Waddle Dee
  3. Rayman
  4. Geno
  5. Banjo & Kazooie

Personal Picks DLC
  1. Sora
  2. Travis Touchdown
  3. Rayman
  4. Geno
  5. Banjo & Kazooie
I definitely wish there was going to be two more, I think eight total is a really nice number, but hey, at least I got my season pass wish granted! Now to spend months hoping the final list resembles the second or third set of predictions above as closely as possible.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
DLC was decided at 2015 as well, I believe. We won't be getting a Gen 8 rep, or a Three Houses one either I believe.
I don't think that's the case. Based on the data we found, Sakurai began working on Corrin in the summer of 2015 at the latest, so that means he chose a character from a game that wasn't even released yet.

Unless everyone is strictly third-party or from unrepresentated Nintendo IPs, I think DLC of Gen 8 and Three Houses isn't impossible.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
Just imagine if that video of Piranha Plant leaked last night when was it going around to insiders?

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
I'm kinda sad that Vergeben is likely inevitably going to reveal who the DLC characters are and ruin the surprise. It's only a matter of time.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Oh yea i should mention there are 11 ****ING POKEMON IN THE ROSTER NOW.

Jesus h. Christ Sakurai. ( And i thought FE was bad )
There are only 10

And it's Pokemon. The most successful media franchise and has hundreds of candidates.

Last edited:

Smartiicals

Smash Cadet
Do you guys think the DLC is a bit wasted? I mean, in the packs, don't you think they could have chucked in special costumes for characters aswell as an echo? Also, do you think after these 5 packs are released we are done for ultimate or a year 2 pass?

Chrono.

DLC predictions:
- Sora
- Goku
- Etika
- GameXplain (all of them)
- Mariotehplumber & Grinch

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
Papagenos is still alive, by the way! Just to let anyone concerned about how he is at the moment
He seems okay..

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
So with Vergeben's track record at this point, is it safe to assume 2 of the DLC packs are a SE rep and Minecraft content?
The thing is, Verg specifically says a Square Enix character, while he says Minecraft "content". Content could just be Mii Fighter costumes. Content could also be an umbrella term for a lot of things, and we don't know if Microsoft is involved beyond Minecraft in general.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
So thinking on the DLC, is it possible some of the Ballot picks are certainly in the realm of possibility?
Also, did I hear right, but Sakurai stated Rex missed out on the DLC train when they finalized the roster back in December 2015?

That would make things a lot more interesting in my eyes. Meaning, he had them picked when he was finalizing the game before development.

With that in mind, I could see these being our 5.

Geno
Sora
Banjo & Kazooie
Llyod Irving
??? (Maybe Steve or Chorus Kids)

KamikazePotato

Smash Journeyman
I'm kinda sad that Vergeben is likely inevitably going to reveal who the DLC characters are and ruin the surprise. It's only a matter of time.
After this whole Grinch thing, I think a lot of people don't find the wait very fun anymore. Too much heartbreak and anxiety.

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
I don't think that's the case. Based on the data we found, Sakurai began working on Corrin in the summer of 2015 at the latest, so that means he chose a character from a game that wasn't even released yet.

Unless everyone is strictly third-party or from unrepresentated Nintendo IPs, I think DLC of Gen 8 and Three Houses isn't impossible.
Hm. Maybe. I'm hoping for more than just one fighter pack but I'll keep my expectations in check.

I'd be totally down for a Gen 8 or FE:TH rep, but it seems some people around here wouldn't haha.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
I love how Piranha Plant can be used to justify any inclusion
"Steve would look awkward moving in a game like Smash"
but Piranha Plant
"BWD is just a hat Goomba"
but Piranha Plant
"X series is overrepped"
but Piranha Plant
"X character doesn't have moveset potential"
but P i r a n h a P l a n t
Not the hero we wanted but the hero we needed.

I have to wonder if there is some irony to be seen here. People immediately decided to put Incineroar as leakbait to avoid considering possibilities regarding its absense. But now that we know who is in, it seems like characters like Isaac and Shadow were the true leakbaits which makes a lot more sense. Why bait with a low key pokemon that no one believed had a chance to be in the game that comes from the most vindictive company when handling their IP? People would dismiss the character as leakbait. It makes more sense to use universally popular characters that people could agree as likely.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
You know, the fact that Kaz of all people is one of MGS’ Spirits is ****ing hilarious to me and I don’t know why

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
This...now this is beauty.
Smash Roster.png

Lol JK this roster sucks and Ultimate is just a port. I can't believe they picked Mr.Game&Watch over Bubsy the Bobcat. I give it a 7.8/10 too much anime.
:4pacman:

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
uhm actually *pushes up glasses* he's a wyvern because he's got two legs and two wings
sorry

my first thought is that just about any of the bosses from donkey kong could work, maybe Krow from dkc2 with all his egg-flinging shenanigans, KAOS from dkc3, Tiki Tong from dkcr, or Lord Fredrik from tropical freeze. King Kut-Out would be outrageous and fun too but i wouldn't exactly call him a likely choice

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
The thing is, Verg specifically says a Square Enix character, while he says Minecraft "content". Content could just be Mii Fighter costumes. Content could also be an umbrella term for a lot of things, and we don't know if Microsoft is involved beyond Minecraft.
But if it didn't pop up in this Direct, then it's likely not in the game. And we know how DLC is handled--character/stage/music. I see no wiggle room to be able to expect anything more like Mii costumes or assist trophies. He probably only referred to it as content, because the source only knows Minecraft is involved in some form. So if it's not in the base, it's DLC.

KamikazePotato

Smash Journeyman
That's what you get for going all in like a lunatic. :smirk:
I didn't believe Grinch. I would have accepted one of a decent number of characters, and I got none of them.

All of your posts for like the past 10 pages have been passive aggressive if not outright dickish.

D

Deleted member

Piranha Plant is gonna puzzle me for years to come. I could rationalize every inclusion before but this one is just... why?
Ok, maybe Sakurai wanted a mook playable, sure, but why this one in particular? What **** is this man on because I sure want some of it.
maybe he knew no one would believe a leak with one

Also, the fact we can't choose both Battlefield and Omega forms for online is pretty ****ty. For Glory should just have been a quickmatch option.
Or maybe different people care about different characters? I never cared about either of those guys.
Or maybe I'm not referring to you in particular?

Iridium

Smash Hero
And, at this point, after making a fricking Piranha Plant a playable character, I'll never doubt Sakurai's ability to make characters out of anything again.

Last edited:

Mecakoto

Smash Journeyman
Do you guys think the DLC is a bit wasted? I mean, in the packs, don't you think they could have chucked in special costumes for characters aswell as an echo? Also, do you think after these 5 packs are released we are done for ultimate or a year 2 pass?
Multiple Season passes for a game lifecycle isn't unheard of. (I think the Borderlands series has done it) And other DLC outside of characters is possible. 100% guarantee we'll get more Mii costumes via DLC, like last time.

Chrono.

Not the hero we wanted but the hero we needed.

I have to wonder if there is some irony to be seen here. People immediately decided to put Incineroar as leakbait to avoid considering possibilities regarding its absense. But now that we know who is in, it seems like characters like Isaac and Shadow were the true leakbaits which makes a lot more sense. Why bait with a low key pokemon that no one believed had a chance to be in the game that comes from the most vindictive company when handling their IP? People would dismiss the character as leakbait. It makes more sense to use universally popular characters that people could agree as likely.
I mean all insiders and Verge were saying Incineroar was in and the banner was wrong.

There didn't seem to be any leakbait aside of the Square character.

Potato_

Smash Lord
Hi everyone.

Direct was interesting wasn't it?

Here's my opinion if anyone cares:

The absolutely ****ing fantastic: Ken. Everything Ken. Oh my god he looks SO GOOD.

Adventure Mode or World of Light. That cutscene gave me shivers. And a ****ing RPG MODE? I AM UNBELIEVABLY HYPED.

Spirits: An actually creative mode? Sign me up.

The Good: Incineroar. They did a good job making me interested in him.

The questionable: Pirahna Plant. NOW before you jump down my throat for this hear me out.

Of ALL the random characters you choose, I get choosing Mario characters as they're the most recognizable. But a Piranha plant over a Koopa or Goomba? Really? Feel like the other two would be much more interesting. Really disappointing choice IMO.

Overall Adventure Mode hyped me up beyond belief. I really, REALLY want to play that damn mode. Also can we talk about how Sakurai started that off with "It's a lot more light hearted than SSE." And then proceeded to show literally every character bar Kirby get annihilated.

I never want to hear anyone say that a character is too irrelevant for this game if Piranha Plant was able to make it in. Even if he was meant as comedic.

Also AT's will be upgraded I'm almost certain of it

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Squad Strike Pokémon Battle?
the man with the ideas

Piranha Plant is gonna puzzle me for years to come. I could rationalize every inclusion before but this one is just... why?
Ok, maybe Sakurai wanted a mook playable, sure, but why this one in particular? What **** is this man on because I sure want some of it.
maybe he knew no one would believe a leak with one
explicitly to make me happy

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
And, at this point, after making a fricking Piranha Plant a playable character, I'll never doubt Sakurai's ability to make characters out of anything again.
I feel like Piranha Plant's inclusion is literally just Sakurai attempting to shut down any and all "but what would he even do" arguments.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Outside of Waluigi, none of the deconfirms so far have been anywhere on the level of Isaac, Skull Kid, and Rex.
Right, Skull Kid, the character that virtually no one seemed to care about until August and still wouldn't really be talked about if not for loz.

How about Ashley, Bomberman, Shovel Knight, Takamaru, Mimikyu, Captain Toad, etc? Or have we already forgotten who people were big on prior to the last few weeks?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Reminder that I called Guile

Assists are getting pretty advanced, don't you think? The only thing they don't do is be playable. I hope Guile still becomes the SF assist if Sakurai makes one. He got the pass to use Zero, hopefully the same for a SF character.
I just want Guile as an Assist. He's definitely never gonna be playable, but he's somewhat big enough to have something to this degree.
Does that make me an Assist prophet? :bobomb:

Chrollo.

fka president wario
I expect you all to support Tetris Block for Smash for now on

Fortnite4Smash

Smash Apprentice
Hi everyone.

Direct was interesting wasn't it?

Here's my opinion if anyone cares:

The absolutely ****ing fantastic: Ken. Everything Ken. Oh my god he looks SO GOOD.

Adventure Mode or World of Light. That cutscene gave me shivers. And a ****ing RPG MODE? I AM UNBELIEVABLY HYPED.

Spirits: An actually creative mode? Sign me up.

The Good: Incineroar. They did a good job making me interested in him.

The questionable: Pirahna Plant. NOW before you jump down my throat for this hear me out.

Of ALL the random characters you choose, I get choosing Mario characters as they're the most recognizable. But a Piranha plant over a Koopa or Goomba? Really? Feel like the other two would be much more interesting. Really disappointing choice IMO.

Overall Adventure Mode hyped me up beyond belief. I really, REALLY want to play that damn mode. Also can we talk about how Sakurai started that off with "It's a lot more light hearted than SSE." And then proceeded to show literally every character bar Kirby get annihilated.

I never want to hear anyone say that a character is too irrelevant for this game if Piranha Plant was able to make it in. Even if he was meant as comedic.

Also AT's will be upgraded I'm almost certain of it
Spirits tbh seemed like a mash up of a bunch of old smash features.. Stickers, smash tour, and event matches. Really disappointed considering how much he hyped it up

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom