• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So this might not be the best thread for this but Zelda fans, who is our next character hope?

This is assuming ATs can't be promoted, I'm hoping for one of the Champions. Honestly after PP anything can happen so why not one of the Champions? I'd love Tetra too, but I don't see that happening.

Other Zelda fans?
We have 3 realistic options.

Impa
Toon Zelda/Tetra
Champions

Anyone else important enough to note has already been assigned to an AT, stage hazard, or Final Smash.

Honestly, it just comes down to personal preference, and I have a feeling the lack of unity will hold us back. I suppose we could still get a Zelda character without the unified support, but then there's the matter of stages. We've gotten a stage from every Zelda game these characters are known for starring in, so we'll have to double dip if that's the case.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Ok, now that all the discussion about leaks and theories died, let's make some predictions for the last 5 characters (DLC):

1: Rhythm Heaven character (now that the Grinch has finally been proven fake, I think that Karate Joe is more likely than the Chorus Kids)
2: Steve (Minecraft)
3: Final Fantasy Character (Probably Sephiroth)
4: Gen 8 Pokèmon
5: Geno

I'm almost sure about Steve and FF character, because Vergeben was right.
Something in favor of the FF character: the DLCs bring in the game some more music, and this could be an explanation for the fact that FF still has only 2 tracks (with the DLC they will add more FF music, and I think Sephiroth is the best character for this, think about One Winged Angel).
Chance: 90% (both Steve and FF character)

I'm pretty confident about a Gen 8 Pokèmon. Gen 7 has been around for a while now, and they'll probably show the new gen soon enough.
Chance 75%

About Geno, since Piranha Plant is now a character, I think that all the arguments like "he's not important, he comes from an old spin-off" are invalid, and Geno is like a legendary character for Smash, I can totally see him being added at the end. But that's just my guess.
Though, he's a spirit... this may play against him.
Chance 50%

I'm unsure about Rhythm Heaven... it has been rumored and requested a lot, it makes sense, but I'm still not sure.
Chance 30%

---------

I think that Dixie Kong is now unlikely, because she's a spirit. I think that characters such as her and Ganon are important and should be added to the roster as soon as possible, though it seems that everything plays against them this time.
I'm not sure if spirits count as deconfirmations, but until it's proven otherwise, I think they count.
Chance 20% (Dixie only)

Despite the fact that Piranha Plant opened the doors for generic enemies to join the roster, I still think that Bandana Waddle Dee is unlikely: I think it's a toad-like situation, and for some reason Sakurai don't want to add those type of characters in the game. Not to mention that Piranha pretty much took all the stuff that would have made Bandana unique (regular enemy to fighter, small body with disjointed hitbox, long range attacks, "spear-copter") and added even more to the mix (stretched attack, blowing the spike ball, poisonous breath, etc).
And Waddle Dee (regular) is a spirit, if this even counts.
Chance 10%

Magolor is a spirit. I don't know if spirits count as deconfirmations.
Chance ??% (depends on if spirits deconfirm characters or not)

Isaac came back as an assist trophy again, sadly. Everything can happen, but still.
Chance 2%

Banjo... I don't think he's really that hype of a character outside the core Smash community. He was in Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing and almost nobody cared. He has a lot of fans, but for some reasons I think he's unlikely, all things considered (including copyrights, but in case of Steve that wouldn't be a big issue)... but who knows.
Chance 8%

Sora: that's kinda possible, but there's still Disney into the mess causing problems (probably). But that's another possible newcomer, it's just that I see him as less likely than the ones I listed above.
Chance 25%

Maybe there is some other character that I forgot, or some other unexpected ones, this is all but a complete list.
(I hope for Adeleine & Ribbon but the chances are low sadly).

Last edited:

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
On today's episode of "Wagers I'm Glad I Won," here's a blast from the past. :p
I think everyone who was right about the box theory has the right to send death threats to everyone who didn’t and get away with it. I mean, it happened to them.

D

Deleted member

Geez people. I understand being down at seeing a character you want not make it, but please try not act like this is the end of world for God’s sake.

Polar Bair

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jac398
But Smash has never revealed their heaviest hitters last.

I feel like a parrot saying this over and over.

From a marketing perspective, saving your most marketable inclusion in a new game for a mere month before release is a terrible idea. So that's probably a major reason for it. You want to have your most exciting things out there already so you can continue to harp on those in your advertisements. But also, they're pushing the "order included" thing hard, and the order of their announcements follows the characters' corresponding numbers exactly. So either they determined the announcement order and retroactively applied the numbers, or they were intent on announcing characters in the exact order that they were added to the game.
Just want to say that the character numbers are just when they were revealed. We have no way of knowing what else, if anything, it's based on. It's probably not so deep.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
On the smash site, there is an "And even more modes!" note at the bottom, this makes me think that they just haven't shown off HRC yet for whatever reason.
They didn't show it off until the 50 fact extravaganza in Smash 4.
Allow me to introduce:

Sandbag Theory

They didn't show off Home-Run Contest because they're saving it for a secret Sandbag character reveal.

:troll:

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Kirby is probably the starting character of adventure mode to make you excited to unlock more characters. Almost the entire rest of the roster will be an upgrade!

That trailer in general had a lot of good observations you could make:

-Marth did a rational analysis of an upcoming battle while Zelda dismissed it in favor of a pep rally talk. Their leadership skills appear to roughly match their historical tier positions. No wonder Marth became known as a legendary hero king while Zelda is re-incarnated constantly but still has a 0% success rate in dealing with Ganon.
-Shulk's frame data must still be really bad. He saw the attack coming way ahead, and we all know homing attacks suck in Smash (see: Sonic and Palutena) but he was still too committed to get out of the way. Fits i guess.
-Good to see most characters tried to fight back but Samus didn't even try. I guess she is beginning to accept the futility of her history as a competitive character?
-If that were Melee or Brawl Falco, he would have been plenty mobile enough to dodge that. Bring back the old Falco!
-Good to see Greninja and Lucario down specials still just get them killed.
-Bayonetta probably didn't actually die there; those frames of Bat Within are definitely invincible. We can only assume while Kirby is moving very slowly to deal with fortress Master Hand that Bayonetta will be solving the problem with a series of ladder combos.
-Snake also probably could have handled this by himself, but I guess we have to presume he was sneaking into the box for quick smoke break. Life lesson kids: smoking kills.
-Master Hand got cheesed by Kirby abusing items. Items still dumb confirmed.

Eh, I feel like that’s falling into “characters are just functions” logic. Playstyles are obviously very important, but at its core smash bros is a crossover. The entire point is the characters and their personalities all coming together.
I non-ironically do think characters are mostly functions; I'd 100% prefer to play a character who plays well instead of one who looks cool every time. I also think, seriously real talk, that having a cast of Nintendo all stars is super cool, and we've had basically all of the ones who really matter since Brawl. The rest are just gravy.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
So with relevancy and importance both flushed down the toilet...

What are your guys' nobody picks?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ooh, slime from DQ is possible now. Considering PP’s moveset, it could be really interesting.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I just realized that DLC is going to be so savage this time.

We had no idea how many character we could get for Smash 4, and people were thinking we'd get like 10-15.

And people were thinking there'd be at least 12 DLC characters this time.

But no. There's 5 DLC characters. And that might be it.

This is like the fiercest competition in Smash speculation ngl.

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman
I say this with 100 percent sincerity. I love the fact that we get yet another story mode in Smash where it all comes down to Kirby to be the world's final shimmer of hope.

I love Kirby bias.

No irony. No sarcasm. Look at my avy...
Would have preferred it had the original 8 escaped, not just Kirby. Would have been a nice throwback.
- Kirby grabs Link while he's fighting and rushes off on the warpstar, opening a portal
- Pikachu jumps on to Samus and they escape in her gunship through the portal
- DK holds on to Fox's arwing and they follow
- Mario pulls out a super star and shields Yoshi

Last edited:

Alaskalana

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Alaskalana
3DS FC
4871-7882-0999
Switch FC
SW-2013-3915-8713
*Overall Thoughts on the SmUsh Direct:
-I love Ken. He looks even better than how I imagined him looking.
-Incineroar rules!!! The details on his fur are godly! Definitely one of my mains.
-Pirahna Plant?! Nani?! This is awesome. So out of left field and free!! Their moveset looks super creative and I can't wait to try her out.
-Spirits Mode looks like a complicated yet deep and rich replacement for Event Mode and I love it. I love how it took away Trophies and made it its own thing. I will miss trophy gallery, though.
-THE BEST: Adventure Mode!!! Holy guacamole!!! Freakin' World of Light looks amazing.
-I am beyond ready for this game. This is definitely going to be the best Smash since Melee for me. I love Brawl, M and 4 to death, but this is it mate.
-I loved it. I loved how cute Sakurai's I wonder if I'll ever take a break remark was.
-The Season Pass? I'm all in. Getting that thing ASAP. :)

*EDIT: Did not.notice my swearing. Lol Sorry, I'm very thrilled.

Last edited:

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Oooooh I don't like the new All-Star Mode.... that sucks. I guess they changed it because the number of characters is unbelievably high this time around, b-but still... some of us want to tackle that...

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Forgive me for a second but I'm gonna have to vent for one second:

Screw Sakurai for lying about not planning DLC before the release of the game. The man has been a lot more good to us than we have deserved but he's still deserves to get called out if he's going to say some sweet nothings and then do what the rest of the industry does on a daily basis. Not revealing the characters on the Season Pass is a damn joke as well but at least he was straight up with the amount of content we'd get.

Sorry, I'm just salty as ****ing hell over Rex being deconfirmed.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
OOF THIS DID NOT AGE WELL AT ALL LOL

As soon as I saw that the theory was fake this quote came in mind,
Take the L on this one fam.

Guess this man really was an Einstein according to your post :^)

props to them honestly at the very least moving forward any and all leaks will be assumed fake now because this leak is getting a lot of fandoms on suicide watch. Pour one out for our Golden Sun boys.
yeah he was an absolute galaxy brained genius

D

Deleted member

I non-ironically do think characters are mostly functions; I'd 100% prefer to play a character who plays well instead of one who looks cool every time. I also think, seriously real talk, that having a cast of Nintendo all stars is super cool, and we've had basically all of the ones who really matter since Brawl. The rest are just gravy.
I can certainly see both sides of the argument. Personally I’m really interested in how Ken is shaping up

Confirmation

Smash Ace
Random thought but: when was Tropical Freeze developed? We know Sakurai intervened and made them change the plot since he wanted to use K. Rool in Smash, right? Did the ballot even do anything?

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I just saw the direct... and wow. The direct was a disappointment, and there's no getting around it. Out of every theory, the box was correct. Incineroar, Isabelle, and somehow Pirahna plant out prioritized a Rhythm Heaven rep, Geno, and everyone else on the Grinch leak. I'm still gonna love Pirahna Plant, but he really shouldn't be in here. At least he's free. Spirits mode looks pretty neat at too.

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
I still can't get over Pirhana Plant. Just... why? Out of the literal dozens upon dozens of options of characters why this? Even a Koopa would have worked better.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I think everyone who was right about the box theory has the right to send death threats to everyone who didn’t and get away with it. I mean, it happened to them.
**** off that **** is NEVER justified
On today's episode of "Wagers I'm Glad I Won," here's a blast from the past. :p
idk man I got 45 dollars out of this which gave me nearly 40 euros discount on the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom