• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
He'd be a Fire Emblem rep regardless of being an echo. It baffles me that people don't consider Echos as full characters and assume they're like a third of a character or something.
I know that echos are counted as reps. I was just saying if Black Knight gets in he'll probably be an echo of Ike.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
Just because she technically works it doesn't mean her fighting abilities are represented well. Dark Samus doesn't fight like Samus at all. The only saving grace is they altered her animations quite a bit to match her ghoulish nature.
I mean she (Is it even a she?) had no chance as a unique newcomer so I take what I can get lol.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
On the topic of treating echoes as "full" newcomers...Do you also believe that we should count Alph as a Smash 4 newcomer? I mean his actual character is different, but his moveset is 100% the same and it's not like his name is listed on the website with everyone else.

Chrono.

Dark Pit is in a weird position. He was the blandest clone in 4 by default thanks to being, technically, a palette swap. Now in Ultimate they introduced Clones as a feature and even with that he gets upstaged by both Chrom and Dark Samus while Dr. Mario gets upgraded to semi clone lol.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I mean she (Is it even a she?) had no chance as a unique newcomer so I take what I can get lol.
I mean I know she wouldn't have made it as unique so I'm happy she's even in the game but I would be really salty if Isabelle is unique but Dark Samus isn't.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Just because she technically works it doesn't mean her fighting abilities are represented well. Dark Samus doesn't fight like Samus at all. The only saving grace is they altered her animations quite a bit to match her ghoulish nature.
There's also a reason for echos. They don't use up as much data allowing for such a roster in this game to be this big.

Shroob

Sup?
Ya know, even though I find the music theory to be utterly stupid...

.....it lines up with Vergeben.

The only hitch being Ken, since Vega's theme has been on there since day 1, but Dark Samus got shown off long after Brinstar Depths was added. Geno to a lesser extent but, he's Mario, Mario's allowed to overlap.

The theory's dumb, but it lines up with Verg's characters.

I seriously doubt we only have 2 newcomers and 2-3 echoes left though.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Ya know, even though I find the music theory to be utterly stupid...

.....it lines up with Vergeben.

The only hitch being Ken, since Vega's theme has been on there since day 1, but Dark Samus got shown off long after Brinstar Depths was added. Geno to a lesser extent but, he's Mario, Mario's allowed to overlap.

The theory's dumb, but it lines up with Verg's characters.

I seriously doubt we only have 2 newcomers and 2-3 echoes left though.
Music theory only details unique newcomers, the ones that would get CG trailers.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
There's also a reason for echos. They don't use up as much data allowing for such a roster in this game to be this big.
I think everyone is fully aware echoes don't take nearly as much time as fully unique characters. They're here to pad the roster since we aren't gonna get as many unique newcomers.

PlasmaSnow12

Smash Cadet
Dark Samus would also have made a lot more sense being unique, and yet - echo.
The assist trophy is more accurate than the actual character. And its not like Villager or Isabelle where you gotta be creative to come up with a moveset, either.

"This character is unique and would make more sense as a unique fighter" unfortunately doesn't seem to matter, and that's a big bummer.
I'm all for a unique Isabelle, mind you. Its just. I don't wanna get my hopes up for unique fighters when there's a non-zero chance they'll just be an echo.
I love that "X" character is in the game, but it hurts knowing they could be their own character instead of a copy, haha.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Dark Samus absolutely should be unique, but it's obvious that the only way she'd be added to the game is as an echo which is a damn shame.

Espio264

Smash Ace
Not a prediction. Not a leak. All but a certainty.

Direct announcement tomorrow at 10am Eastern.
Direct Thursday at 6pm Eastern.

1 newcomer, you know, that one from the Nintendo game. Probably an echo, also from a game that has characters.

Hoping it’s/they’re Zelda related. Or a new franchise. Or “codename: flat mario”. My non sources can’t seem to agree.

But seriously, 10 hours, 36 minutes.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I think everyone is fully aware echoes don't take nearly as much time as fully unique characters. They're here to pad the roster since we aren't gonna get as many unique newcomers.
I don't think they're meant to pad out the roster at all though. Ultimate's roster is already massive and it's not like Sakurai is trying to sell them off as being unique with this new "echo" branding and by not even giving them their own roster numbers.

I think they're just being put in to please as many people as possible, which seems to be Sakurai's goal with this Smash Brothers.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Not a prediction. Not a leak. All but a certainty.

Direct announcement tomorrow at 10am Eastern.
Direct Thursday at 6pm Eastern.

1 newcomer, you know, that one from the Nintendo game. Probably an echo, also from a game that has characters.

Hoping it’s/they’re Zelda related. Or a new franchise. Or “codename: flat mario”. My non sources can’t seem to agree.

But seriously, 11 hours, 36 minutes.
You may want to look up at the above. Good chance we may see another delayment.

Best case scenario. Hopefully its just temporary.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Really? Because being Echos are basically just clones. It's easier to get them in then more uniques.
That's true, but they don't "use up as much data" or so.

It's not like Smash has a file-size limit of whatever gigabytes and a unique Dark Samus would've gone over that somehow.

Last edited:

Loz18-Echo

Banned via Warnings
real talk here I think the best character to represent Xenoblade 2 is so obvious that it hurts me to even remind people.
3260a42edef4852203a98ca48f6ee3f4ab53d1cdv2_hq.jpg

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I don't think they're meant to pad out the roster at all though. Ultimate's roster is already massive and it's not like Sakurai is trying to sell them off as being unique with this new "echo" branding and by not even giving them their own roster numbers.

I think they're just being put in to please as many people as possible, which seems to be Sakurai's goal with this Smash Brothers.
Sakurai could be trying to please as many as possible and it still be padding the roster. Padding isn't a bad thing. It puts characters in the game who wouldn't have made it otherwise.

Shroob

Sup?
Isabelle as a unique fighter is an interesting idea, though I still stand by that she'd work just fine as a Villager echo.

Amiibo Festival and Happy Home Designer basically showed her using tools(And even boxing), so her 'swinging an axe' isn't as ridiculous as people make it out to be, just have her be like Peach and have her look away when she swings it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom