• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Does anyone actually want Undertale in smash?

I'd rather anything else like popular waifus but...\

He's back BABY
Undertale's... who?
I think Sans would be good, since he seems to be the face of Undertale these days...
If you are talking about any content... then I would want an Undertale stage.

And go sub Spawnwave guys, he's an awesome dude.

Last edited:

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Given that the Smash Ballot stated that the ballot is specifically for video game characters only, any votes for Goku would have already been discarded. The top results for the Smash Ballot won't by default include characters that didn't even originate from video games.

Steve has a more probable chance of topping the Ballot in terms of requests by virtue of the fact that votes for him would still be treated the same as any other video game character.
First things first, that is good data but it was taken with Smash fans in mind. The actual ballot, world wide, was likely far different than most online polling would suggest.

Second of all... Minecraft is fairly popular and heavily associated with Nintendo in Japan. Sorry to burst your bubble.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/129504/20160201/minecraft-dominates-japan-wii-u-eshop.htm
And this is why we must never have another ballot again.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Haha, the Minecraft hate is kind of funny. I don't want Steve in Smash as I am not a fan of the series and he doesn't really do anything for me, but the series does actually tick off most of the boxes that a third should have to be in Smash. (Instantly and globally recognizable, originated in a game, carries gaming history - even if recent- and he comes from one of the best selling franchises of all time.)

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Given that the Smash Ballot stated that the ballot is specifically for video game characters only, any votes for Goku would have already been discarded. The top results for the Smash Ballot won't by default include characters that didn't even originate from video games.

Steve has a more probable chance of topping the Ballot in terms of requests by virtue of the fact that votes for him would still be treated the same as any other video game character.
Your statement isn't correct.

A poll will by default include anything you write on it and you will have to either manually discard it or make up an algorithm that discards an specific name. If you're doing either of those options it's because you already know that said name is extremely popular and will skew your data, otherwise you wouldn't do it.

Now whether or not enough people actually voted for Goku for him to be at the top is something else entirely.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Haha, the Minecraft hate is kind of funny. I don't want Steve in Smash as I am not a fan of the series and he doesn't really do anything for me, but the series does actually tick off most of the boxes that a third should have to be in Smash. (Instantly and globally recognizable, originated in a game, carries gaming history - even if recent- and he comes from one of the best selling franchises of all time.)
The only confirmed requirements are that
  • Both the company and Sakurai must come to an agreement on the character
  • The character must carry gaming history
  • No manga characters (or video game characters thanks to the Smash Ballot confirming it)
Being iconic isn't even a requirement (at best it is a favourable factor). The fact that Geno was both seriously considered and wanted by Sakurai proves this (I guess the first bullet point explains why Geno isn't playable. It's basically to do with Square Enix, most likely)

Your statement isn't correct.

A poll will by default include anything you write on it and you will have to either manually discard it or make up an algorithm that discards an specific name. If you're doing either of those options it's because you already know that said name is extremely popular and will skew your data, otherwise you wouldn't do it.

Now whether or not enough people actually voted for Goku for him to be at the top is something else entirely.
That's precisely what I meant when I say that requests for non-video game characters wouldn't be accepted and none of them have a chance of topping the results of the ballot for this reason.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If Sakurai would only look at the Smash ballot results for Japan for the next game, I'd be so happy. There isn't a single choice here that pains me:

The thing with this list is that Bayonetta is listed so low on this list, which means that US and Europe probably had her near the top, and Sakurai barely took the Japanese into account for once. So even though characters people have been wanting such as K. Rool Wolf, Bandanna Waddle Dee, Geno, Ashley, Dixie Kong, and Isaac, were all more popular in Japan, they must have been massively outclasses by characters like Bayonetta in the US and Europe, but moreover I believe they were outclasses by meme characters like Goku and Steve from minecraft.

Now this could go either two ways:

1) The one realizable character from EU and NA has been exhausted, meaning next in line for a slot would be K. Rool, Wolf, and Waddle Dee. Inkling was on this list and is in the game, so it's definitely a possiblity.

2) Instead of looking to Japan for reference, Sakurai continues catering to the Western territories, going through and adding characters from games like Minecraft.

Either way, the way I see it, it is very unlikely at this point that K. Rool is not in the next Smash. He outright won the ballot and got a Mii costume. I actually believe the only reason we didn't see him is because Bayonetta won in Europe and was probably second in the US to Goku.
Ridley's not on that wheel, so I automatically hate the idea of Sakurai using it to add newcomers.

But seriously, I'd be careful with how much faith you put in this ballot thing. The only character we've gotten word on so far is the Inklings, and I doubt the ballot was needed when Sakurai made that decision. Even if K. Rool really did come out on top, we have no guarantee that he won't be passed over for Dixie (or if DK will even get a newcomer at all).

Take it from a Ridley supporter. For now, I'd keep my expectations low and wait till we get more newcomers revealed. Once we see who else is in this Smash, then we can start looking for some consistency and get a feel for what factor played the largest part in deciding the roster (relevancy, popularity in ballot, etc.).

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
That's precisely what Mean when I say that requests for non-video game characters wouldn't be accepted and none of them have a chance of topping the results of the ballot for this reason.
I was just stating that that isn't the "default" though.

Also this would mean that when the poll was created someone literally had to say: "Don't let them write down Goku" which still means they know Goku is popular enough to top the charts and then invalidates the whole reason to remove his name (unless they just don't want to see HOW much Goku could top the charts by).

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Listen up people, there is a lore in Smash, that says, if there is a page on Smashboards that ever reached "777", the characters named on this page would be added in the newest installment.

This is said to be how Wii Fit Trainer got in the last time. But, there is a catch. You could only mention one character.
As "777" is associated with the lucky number, a lucky member might get their character inn.

Tingle. :troll:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Ridley's not on that wheel, so I automatically hate the idea of Sakurai using it to add newcomers.

But seriously, I'd be careful with how much faith you put in this ballot thing. The only character we've gotten word on so far is the Inklings, and I doubt the ballot was needed when Sakurai made that decision. Even if K. Rool really did come out on top, we have no guarantee that he won't be passed over for Dixie (or if DK will even get a newcomer at all).

Take it from a Ridley supporter. For now, I'd keep my expectations low and wait till we get more newcomers revealed. Once we see who else is in this Smash, then we can start looking for some consistency and get a feel for what factor played the largest part in deciding the roster (relevancy, popularity in ballot, etc.).
Ridley was number 21, so just one spot out of being on that list. Go to Sourcegaming for the top 50.

Besides, it's not like Sakurai doesn't know Ridley is popular. He has gone out of his way to mention him several times. Ridley being in the game, or not being in the game, has nothing to do with how much people want him.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Is Steve even a beloved character? I get that the game is beloved, but it seems the whole appeal of the Minecraft avatar is basically the same appeal as the Miis, but you wouldn't be able to alter their appearance in the same way as the Mii in Smash, so it seems kind of pointless. It would be like instead of getting the Miis in Smash we just got Nikki, but at least Nikki has some personality.

That's another thing, we know Sakurai wants characters who have displayed personality in their games, (https://sourcegaming.info/2015/09/26/sakurai-on-character-choices/) and the avatar characters in Smash like Mii and Villager do show many emotions in the games they've appeared in unlike Steve who shows no emotion. And even if you personally don't see a difference between Steve and other avatar characters in Smash, at least those other avatar characters are owned by Nintendo.

I don't think Sakurai would want to go out of his way to obtain the rights to add a bland blank slate guest character like Steve. I think Sakurai will stick with beloved guest characters who have personalities that are set in stone.

D

Deleted member

Is Steve even a beloved character? I get that the game is beloved, but it seems the whole appeal of the Minecraft avatar is basically the same appeal as the Miis, but you wouldn't be able to alter their appearance in the same way as the Mii in Smash, so it seems kind of pointless. It would be like instead of getting the Miis in Smash we just got Nikki, but at least Nikki has some personality.

That's another thing, we know Sakurai wants characters who have displayed personality in their games, (https://sourcegaming.info/2015/09/26/sakurai-on-character-choices/) and the avatar characters in Smash like Mii and Villager do show many emotions in the games they've appeared in unlike Steve who shows no emotion. And even if you personally don't see a difference between Steve and other avatar characters in Smash, at least those other avatar characters are owned by Nintendo.

I don't think Sakurai would want to go out of his way to obtain the rights to add a bland blank slate guest character like Steve. I think Sakurai will stick with beloved guest characters who have personalities that are set in stone.
I am not saying I want Steve in Smash, but he is quite popular and can have multiple personalities.
Those characters from Minecraft Story Mode have personality I guess.
And Game and Watch has just as many personality as regular Steve does, if anything less.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
In my opinion, Steve is not a beloved character, his series is beloved.

Minecraft is a fun game, and I wouldn't mind representation in the form of a stage, but Steve is literally as generic as generic gets. He's not just an avatar like Robin or Wii Fit Trainer, he's a literal skin that can be changed to be a variety of different characters. You spend most of the game in first person, looking at the world.

Even in a series with weird characters like Wii Fit, there's at least a focus on the character itself in some portion of the game. You can play Minecraft without even seeing Steve. I'd argue he's actually more generic than the Miis.

IronTed

Smash Ace
Ridley was number 21, so just one spot out of being on that list. Go to Sourcegaming for the top 50.

Besides, it's not like Sakurai doesn't know Ridley is popular. He has gone out of his way to mention him several times. Ridley being in the game, or not being in the game, has nothing to do with how much people want him.
If anything, Ridley at 21 is impressive, given how nonexistent Metroid is there.

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
Personally I will always stick to the belief that Crash Bandicoot would be the essential Western-made third party character that deserves to be in Smash (or at the very least, one of the most deserving.)

I feel that his overall revival in the game industry and gaming community thanks to several factors (N-Sane Trilogy being a major success along with the hype surrounding it being massive, not to mention Oney's Crash playthroughs didn't hurt his popularity either), as well as his previous history with Nintendo up to and including the N-Sane Trilogy, has greatly boosted the Bandicoot's chances to get in Smash this game, so much that it's a stark contrast from where he was during Sm4sh's pre-release speculation.

Even if his revival in popularity was too late for Crash to make it to Smash Switch's base roster, I believe he still has a high chance of getting in as a DLC fighter later on.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
The only confirmed requirements are that
  • Both the company and Sakurai must come to an agreement on the character
  • The character must carry gaming history
  • No manga characters (or video game characters thanks to the Smash Ballot confirming it)
Being iconic isn't even a requirement (at best it is a favourable factor). The fact that Geno was both seriously considered and wanted by Sakurai proves this (I guess the first bullet point explains why Geno isn't playable. It's basically to do with Square Enix, most likely)
Yes and no, hence my saying "should." If you look at all the current third-party characters, with the possible exception of Bayonetta who herself is somewhat of an outlier due to the ballot, they all have several factors in common. This suggests that things such as sales and series recognizability counts for something, although it is not the end all be all. In other words, factors like this don't exclude, but they likely help.

In addition to this, the rules that Sakurai laid out for characters, in general, would also apply to third parties. Ayumi Tachibana could not get in due to "the West" and as far as Takamaru goes "there’s no way he could make it, popularity-wise.” This leads me to believe that franchise sales, media spin-offs, and global recognizability factor in.

You're absolutely right, though, and at the end of the day character inclusion just comes down to Sakurai's whims. Any video game character has a shot, and I wouldn't doubt us seeing someone from a smaller third party franchise get in.

(some extra sauce: https://sourcegaming.info/2015/03/22/mewtwo-dlc-takamaru-and-sakurais-nico-nico-appearance/
https://sourcegaming.info/2016/04/29/duflupdate/)

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Yes and no, hence my saying "should." If you look at all the current third-party characters, with the possible exception of Bayonetta who herself is somewhat of an outlier due to the ballot, they all have several factors in common. This suggests that things such as sales and series recognizability counts for something, although it is not the end all be all. In other words, factors like this don't exclude, but they likely help.

In addition to this, the rules that Sakurai laid out for characters, in general, would also apply to third parties. Ayumi Tachibana could not get in due to "the West" and as far as Takamaru goes "there’s no way he could make it, popularity-wise.” This leads me to believe that franchise sales, media spin-offs, and global recognizability factor in.

You're absolutely right, though, and at the end of the day character inclusion just comes down to Sakurai's whims. Any video game character has a shot, and I wouldn't doubt us seeing someone from a smaller third party franchise get in.

(some extra sauce: https://sourcegaming.info/2015/03/22/mewtwo-dlc-takamaru-and-sakurais-nico-nico-appearance/
Boys we gotta have faith that Sakurai will make the right call here. I really have faith he won't put Steve in smash.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

Pretty much. I used to think non-iconic third-party characters didn't have much of a chance of even being wanted by Sakurai (which is why I was skeptical of that Shovel Knight rumour) but that assumption was killed by not just Bayonetta, but by that Geno interview.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I don’t want Steve but I wouldn’t mind him, Minecraft is pretty important in the grand scheme of video game history. it definitely got extremely popular with a younger generation of gamers and represents this whole YouTube gaming era pretty well and I’ve always liked smash being the game that showcases Nintendo’s history and lately gaming history in general. However I agree Steve isn’t the best way to represent Minecraft, sakurai for a while thought animal crossing was better represented with stages and not a character, Minecraft I feel even more so that a stage would be a better way to represent the series rather than Steve. More recently though I think sakurai has gotten the hint that most people only care about who’s on the roster when looking at which series is represented in smash and I can’t imagine him striking a deal to use Minecraft and then doing it as a stage and not a character, I feel the company would want a character in to represent their series and having it make big news and stuff like all third party characters do, where as a stage would not have nearly that impact publicity wise and people might even forget Minecraft is in smash etc...

So it’s a weird case. Although I don’t personally care for it, I think the series is popular and important enough to be represented. I think the series is better represented as a stage rather than a character BUT since it’d be a “guest” series I can’t imagine it happening without getting a character.

We’ll see what happens it’s not high on my list for what I want personally but I wouldn’t be mad about it however it happens and it is definitely a possibility so prepare yourself if you’ve don’t like the idea.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I'm not particular familiar with Minecraft but isn't Steve basically the stand-in character for the character avatar in the game?

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
For the next Smash newcomer, I'd like to nominate the snail from Zero Time Dilemma
Not to mention Fawful was absent in both Dream team and the paper Mario M and L spinoff...

Fawful always struck me as assist trophy potential anyways. He'd basically be Mr.Resetti with his quotes, only he's actually fight players at the same time.
I mean, the reason he wasn't in Dream Team and Paper Jam is because
he's dead.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
All this speculation surrounding Steve in Smash makes me sad to know that Lego did not originate as a video game... Lego is no doubt the inspiration from Minecraft, and even if it's over 100 (?) years old, it's still not as ugly as Minecraft and the characters from that.

So, I agree, 100%, even Tetris blocks sounds more exciting. At least they are square too, I guess we could make a compromise.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Tetris Blocks look more appealing than Steve from Minecraft.
Think that would make a neat assist trophy frankly. Just random Tetrominoes randomly raining down in jaggy manner from the top of the screen lol

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I’m 95% sure Minecraft isn’t happening, but who knows?

Honestly, Tetris blocks sounds like just the kind of random pick for a character Smash is known for...

Morbi

Scavenger
All this speculation surrounding Steve in Smash makes me sad to know that Lego did not originate as a video game... Lego is no doubt the inspiration from Minecraft, and even if it's over 100 (?) years old, it's still not as ugly as Minecraft and the characters from that.

So, I agree, 100%, even Tetris blocks sounds more exciting. At least they are square too, I guess we could make a compromise.
They could even add our third Mario, Lego Paper Mario, if Lego was Nintendo. The missed opportunity. That being said, if we get Steve over an actual highly requested character that would fit seamlessly, such as Banjo, or a real gaming icon, like Master Chief, I am legit not buying this trash.
Listen up people, there is a lore in Smash, that says, if there is a page on Smashboards that ever reached "777", the characters named on this page would be added in the newest installment.

This is said to be how Wii Fit Trainer got in the last time. But, there is a catch. You could only mention one character.
As "777" is associated with the lucky number, a lucky member might get their character inn.

Goku. :smirk:

D

Deleted member

Tetris?

Though since Tetris is technically not a Nintendo franchise, it may be difficult to include content from it that isn't the two music tracks from the Game Boy release.

That being said, a Tetris stage would be awesome.....

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Yeah, the Tetris Company that managed the property I've heard can be kind of difficult to work with.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I don’t want Steve but I wouldn’t mind him, Minecraft is pretty important in the grand scheme of video game history. it definitely got extremely popular with a younger generation of gamers and represents this whole YouTube gaming era pretty well and I’ve always liked smash being the game that showcases Nintendo’s history and lately gaming history in general. However I agree Steve isn’t the best way to represent Minecraft, sakurai for a while thought animal crossing was better represented with stages and not a character, Minecraft I feel even more so that a stage would be a better way to represent the series rather than Steve. More recently though I think sakurai has gotten the hint that most people only care about who’s on the roster when looking at which series is represented in smash and I can’t imagine him striking a deal to use Minecraft and then doing it as a stage and not a character, I feel the company would want a character in to represent their series and having it make big news and stuff like all third party characters do, where as a stage would not have nearly that impact publicity wise and people might even forget Minecraft is in smash etc...

So it’s a weird case. Although I don’t personally care for it, I think the series is popular and important enough to be represented. I think the series is better represented as a stage rather than a character BUT since it’d be a “guest” series I can’t imagine it happening without getting a character.

We’ll see what happens it’s not high on my list for what I want personally but I wouldn’t be mad about it however it happens and it is definitely a possibility so prepare yourself if you’ve don’t like the idea.
I am not sure, fam, Minecraft is already one of the biggest games (IP) out there. I am not sure if it was number 1, 2, or 3 of all-time; however, getting Steve in Smash would hardly push the brand and he is realistically not even an aspect as to why Minecraft was a massive hit in the first place. It is not even as though putting a Microsoft character on a Nintendo console would be vaguely beneficial to them outside of trying to push a more or less dead franchise in the first place, so I guess Steve would be the best, but I am not really seeing WHY they would be interested. As hype as Smash is, it is probably being oversold if you believe it will impact Minecraft of all things.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
The winner of the last poll was Raiden and that one was tough. Psycho Mantis was proven to be almost as popular as him. Then theres Solidus and Liquid, both clones were proven senile after all.

Next up was something I've been meaning to do from the start, have the Snake that matters the most. But that's not all, he's paired with what little fan favorite MSG characters left. Your choices are Solid Snake, Vamp, Quiet, and Volgin.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Begin.

Morbi

Scavenger
The winner of the last poll was Raiden and that one was tough. Psycho Mantis was proven to be almost as popular as him. Then theres Solidus and Liquid, both clones were proven senile after all.

Next up was something I've been meaning to do from the start, have the Snake that matters the most. But that's not all, he's paired with what little fan favorite MSG characters left. Your choices are Solid Snake, Vamp, Quiet, and Volgin.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Begin.
It has to be Quiet for the "she's drinking scene" alone. Sorry Snake, but Big Boss was always better anyways. The worst part is, even if Snake returns this time, by some miracle, because the Phantom Pain hype has more or less passed, we are probably going to just get Solid again. :urg:

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I don’t want to be that guy who actively doesn’t want a character in the game but I really do not want Steve in Smash. Bayonetta wasn’t a character that angered me, it was just confusing, Steve on the other hand, actively upsets me at the thought of inclusion.

I get that Minecraft is an iconic series but there are other ways of representation that don’t put me into chronic depression.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Speaking of the ballot. This was asked before but do you think that some of the DLC Mii costumes were actually high on the ballot and these are consolation prizes? So you think some of those mii costumes will be playable characters?

Morbi

Scavenger
I don’t want to be that guy who actively doesn’t want a character in the game but I really do not want Steve in Smash. Bayonetta wasn’t a character that angered me, it was just confusing, Steve on the other hand, actively upsets me at the thought of inclusion.

I get that Minecraft is an iconic series but there are other ways of representation that don’t put me into chronic depression.
I definitely agree with your sentiment, there are not many character's that I am outright opposed to, in fact, off the top of my head, Steve is the only one that comes to mind. I do not ask for much in terms of what I request, just one character this time around, I am not even expecting that Zelda Breath of the Wild redesign that I so desperately want... So, to that end, if he does the ONE thing I do not want. I am lost, free desserts that I hypothetically have to pay for or not. Fam, I would not order a damned Chocolate Whopper even if the chocolate was "free."

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992

The Snail from Zero Time Dilemma.

Done. Best Newcomer. You can only beat it in a 6 Billion stock match

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom