• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
One is a tag-team mode, where you can pick more than a single character. You'd either be able to swap between them or play as them sequentially like stock. Either is good with me. And you can already sort of do this, such as at the end of Smash Tour. But to have it be an option in Vs mode would be amazing.
I could honestly see that being the Switch version's big new mode. It'd tie right into the system's theme by letting you switch between characters mid-match.

It's just a gut feeling, and I don't consider it as reliable as any serious analysis...but it seems like something they'd do, no?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Two features I'd love (and they're not big new modes or anything - like a new Adventure mode, which would be great, but to me, are totally superfluous to what I value Smash for).

One is a tag-team mode, where you can pick more than a single character. You'd either be able to swap between them or play as them sequentially like stock. Either is good with me. And you can already sort of do this, such as at the end of Smash Tour. But to have it be an option in Vs mode would be amazing.

The second, very simply, is a stage hazard toggle. Omega stages were a nice step in the right direction, but it pretty much neutralizes each stage much more than necessary. Stages like Dr. Wily's Castle and Magicant (among others) would be so much more fun without the annoying distractions that, btw, happen way too frequently.

And I guess a third, which is more just a return to form rather than anything new, is I'd love Classic to revert to how it used to be. It's taken too many steps away from its arcade routes and is now kind of dull and plodding. Or maybe it's because I just ran through that thing so many times to clear all the necessary challenges. -_-;
I'd also add Battlefield forms for stages along FD forms, thus there'll be 2 types of FG match.

One interesting fact to remember is, with Switch's home/handheld duality, development will have much less constraints and every Switchers will enjoy the same content.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Two features I'd love (and they're not big new modes or anything - like a new Adventure mode, which would be great, but to me, are totally superfluous to what I value Smash for).

The second, very simply, is a stage hazard toggle. Omega stages were a nice step in the right direction, but it pretty much neutralizes each stage much more than necessary. Stages like Dr. Wily's Castle and Magicant (among others) would be so much more fun without the annoying distractions that, btw, happen way too frequently.

And I guess a third, which is more just a return to form rather than anything new, is I'd love Classic to revert to how it used to be. It's taken too many steps away from its arcade routes and is now kind of dull and plodding. Or maybe it's because I just ran through that thing so many times to clear all the necessary challenges. -_-;
I think PM had something like that. They called it Allstar Versus mode. It was fun, I'd like to see it again.

Stage hazard toggle would be great. Honestly I'd like to see it for more than just hazards though. Like for Congo Jungle, I'd like to be able to get rid of the barrel, or for Halberd, I'd like to not only turn of the hazards, but stay in that area. I'd love for a Stage Toggle that lets you do all of that.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

Check the old NintenZone Social thread, I had that same idea back when the Switch was first revealed.

It was called Switch Smash.

Sells itself

Pixlemaster

Smash Rookie
This is what i think will happen character wise<

All characters from smash 4 will return, including all DLC characters.

Veterans that will return:
Snake
Ice climbers
Wolf

Nintendo New comers:
Inklings (will have 3 versions, one with a shooter, one with a charger and one with a roller)
A Pokémon from sun and moon
Waluigi
Ridley
Bomber man
King K. Rool
Bandana waddle dee

Third party characters:
Shovel knight
Rayman
Steve from minecraft
Banjo and kazooie

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I love that new forum smell. :p

I'm still in the "It'll probably be a Smash 4 port with Inkling and Decidueye first, with a new installment toward the system life's end" camp.

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Well... I didn't realize this thread existed until A Distant Demon A Distant Demon posted about it today on the Social thread. Even though we aren't sure about if the game exists or not quite yet, I have a feeling that it does and its just a matter of time before we finally see a reveal on it. :)

By the way... can I just start by saying that I hope that the rumored mystery amiibo is not Female Corrin and is instead somebody like the Ice Climbers? I don't want all this speculation on the amiibo to lead to an unnecessary and unneeded alternative variant of a character.

Last edited:
A Distant Demon A Distant Demon posted about it today on the Social thread.
What does that make Opossum? chopped liver? :p

Expecting a port with a little bit new content here and there

Hoping for a full on new game.

Hoping for a lot of different characters (Viridi, Ridley, Edea Lee, Sora, etc) but im pretty content after Smash For gave me awesome character after awesome character :4bowserjr::4cloud::4darkpit::4duckhunt::4littlemac::4lucina::4pacman::4palutena::4robinm::4feroy::4shulk:
:061:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well... I didn't realize this thread existed until A Distant Demon A Distant Demon posted about it today on the Social thread. Even though we aren't sure about if the game exists or not quite yet, I have a feeling that it does and its just a matter of time before we finally see a reveal on it. :)

By the way... can I just start by saying that I hope that the rumored mystery amiibo is not Female Corrin and is instead somebody like the Ice Climbers? I don't want all this speculation on the amiibo to lead to an unnecessary and unneeded alternative variant of a character.
I wouldn't mind it being female Corrin honestly. I use her a lot more than male Corrin and I think she's far more popular over all anyway. :p

I'm still iffy on whether or not the Ice Climbers would return. Eight Player Smash is definitely going to come back (eight player functionality was a big Switch selling point) and with it being partially a handheld system, that combined with 8P Smash might be enough to cause issues.

I hope I'm wrong though. I'd love them to come back; they're some of my favorite Smashers.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
I wouldn't mind it being female Corrin honestly. I use her a lot more than male Corrin and I think she's far more popular over all anyway. :p

I'm still iffy on whether or not the Ice Climbers would return. Eight Player Smash is definitely going to come back (eight player functionality was a big Switch selling point) and with it being partially a handheld system, that combined with 8P Smash might be enough to cause issues.

I hope I'm wrong though. I'd love them to come back; they're some of my favorite Smashers.
Unfortunately, I wouldn't mind it myself; I understand that she's popular, I do, but... it would feel like all this speculation led to nothing for me if the amiibo is just an existing variant of a character. Plus, there is also the fact I am not a big time fan of Fire Emblem, so... no offense to those who do like it or really do like it, but I wouldn't be very happy if that happened.

I mean, the main issue as is was the 3DS version that was blocking them, even though you didn't bring that up. I am sure they could bring in the Ice Climbers for Smash Switch; a game mode should not keep them out of the game again for another 2-3 years as is. I know they had to reduce bones to make the game mode work, but I'm sure they'll figure out a way.

Of course; I was sad myself to see them go because of the 3DS version getting in the way. Now is the time for them to come back.

What does that make Opossum? chopped liver? :p
Why would I consider Opossum to be chopped liver? Are you suggesting I don't support him in the off-topic Swamp vs Opossum war? :p

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I like the idea of adding decidueye in smash, and it could have a mechanic that makes it take more damage from Fire based attacks, kind of like a type weakness in the Pokémon games
They did that with :squirtle::ivysaur::charizard:.

I don't say this lightly.

IT SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN!

The type advantages and stamina pretty much ruined :pt: as a character.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Unfortunately, I wouldn't mind it myself; I understand that she's popular, I do, but... it would feel like all this speculation led to nothing for me if the amiibo is just an existing variant of a character. Plus, there is also the fact I am not a big time fan of Fire Emblem, so... no offense to those who do like it or really do like it, but I wouldn't be very happy if that happened.

I mean, the main issue as is was the 3DS version that was blocking them, even though you didn't bring that up. I am sure they could bring in the Ice Climbers for Smash Switch; a game mode should not keep them out of the game again for another 2-3 years as is. I know they had to reduce bones to make the game mode work, but I'm sure they'll figure out a way.

Of course; I was sad myself to see them go because of the 3DS version getting in the way. Now is the time for them to come back.

Why would I consider Opossum to be chopped liver? Are you suggesting I don't support him in the off-topic Swamp vs Opossum war? :p
Yeah, the 3DS was the thing that got them off the roster in the first place, but 8P was likely added after they were cut. There's evidence that 8P may have been a late-in-development thing, what with the launch version being incomplete, and more stages added over time. Add into that that certain stages are absolutely neutered in 8P (Wii Fit Studio losing the mirror, Pyrosphere being hazardless) and character actually have less bones in the mode, and honestly it seems questionable that the Ice Climbers would work.

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
Yes, well...I pray there will be a Smash for Switch. Now, if I see Viridi be a playable fighter, I will sing a song of praise! But until then, more time for me to save up for the Switch. That said, I'm growing impatient about when the :4bayonetta2: amiibo will be released...

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Meanwhile, Arle Nadja for Smash.

Which would be a trophy at best speaking realistically. :p

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Yeah, the 3DS was the thing that got them off the roster in the first place, but 8P was likely added after they were cut. There's evidence that 8P may have been a late-in-development thing, what with the launch version being incomplete, and more stages added over time. Add into that that certain stages are absolutely neutered in 8P (Wii Fit Studio losing the mirror, Pyrosphere being hazardless) and character actually have less bones in the mode, and honestly it seems questionable that the Ice Climbers would work.
It may seem questionable that 8P would attempt to keep the Ice Climbers out of the game, but would the developers really want to make them unusable yet again because of a single gamemode that is entirely optional for the game as is and is just an extra mode of fun? I doubt that after what happened with the 3DS vesion keeping them out; even with 8P in the game, I still have confidence we'll see the Ice Climbers return. I don't want to wait another 3+ years for them to return anyway as is, and I am sure many would think the same.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

It may seem questionable that 8P would attempt to keep the Ice Climbers out of the game, but would the developers really want to make them unusable overall because of a single gamemode that is entirely optional for the game as is and is just an extra mode of fun? I doubt that after what happened with the 3DS vesion keeping them out; even with 8P in the game, I still have confidence we'll see the Ice Climbers return.
The way I see it is this.

If they wouldn't limit the Ice Climbers to 1-on-1 fights on the 3DS because 4P wouldn't work, I don't think they'd add them to the Switch if 8P couldn't work. There's no precedence for having a fighter be excluded from a mode. In fact, not working with a mode is the kinda thing that goes against Sakurai's design philosophy.

Oh... I didn't know that
To expand on it, because Fire moves are incredibly common across the roster, while only some of Greninja's attacks (and F.L.U.D.D.) are Water and Grass is nonexistent save for maybe Villager's Timber, it creates imbalance. It's just better to not make type match ups a gimmick.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター

If they wouldn't limit the Ice Climbers to 1-on-1 fights on the 3DS because 4P wouldn't work, I don't think they'd add them to the Switch if 8P couldn't work. There's no precedence for having a fighter be excluded from a mode. In fact, not working with a mode is the kinda thing that goes against Sakurai's design philosophy.
It would still be sad if this one game mode kept them out yet again; I really do want the Ice Climbers to come back. Isn't the Switch more powerful as is? Would it be able to handle 8P Smash better then the Wii U?

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
To expand on it, because Fire moves are incredibly common across the roster, while only some of Greninja's attacks (and F.L.U.D.D.) are Water and Grass is nonexistent save for maybe Villager's Timber, it creates imbalance. It's just better to not make type match ups a gimmick.
There actually is no Grass class of attacks outside of Brawl. Other than Timber, Vegetable and Leaf Shield could count.

That said, I would like to see more water and plant attacks in general.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm hoping we get an expanded Smash 4 port honestly.

New Smash is nice, but I'm not done with Smash 4 yet.

That and I don't want cuts. I like our roster.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
A new subforum? What are the rules here? Maybe I should set up a thread for Challenger Approaching...

I'm hoping we get an expanded Smash 4 port honestly.

New Smash is nice, but I'm not done with Smash 4 yet.

That and I don't want cuts. I like our roster.
That's also my stance, more or less. The biggest reason the Wii U version didn't raise Wii U sales by much is because it wasn't out until several years into the system's lifespan. If they tried to make a fully new Smash game from scratch now, it wouldn't be ready until just as far into the Switch's cycle and would have just as little of an impact on system sales. Since Smash 4 has been a critical and commercial success despite not doing much for the Wii U's sales, why not build off it and have a "Smash 4.5" ready within the first year of the Switch's release, continue to add content to it, and save Smash 5 for the Switch's successor?

Not gonna lie, I've also considered that. The Switch may be more powerful than the Wii U, but is it strong enough to handle eight sets of Ice Climbers--8 player-controlled Popos, 8 AI-controlled Nanas--without pushing the system's RAM past its limits and causing slowdown? It's a very valid question.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
While we're on the topic of whether or not 8 Ice Climbers at once could be a problem I'd like to point out that playing with 8 :4bayonetta2:'s (and possibly other characters) on Wii U causes some very noticeable lag, so it's definitely possible that they could end up being too much for it, although I have to wonder if they'd actually care about slowdown.

D

Deleted member

Heard about it should be cool hopefully we hear something at E3.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Tbh I kinda want Sakurai to take a break from Smash and bring in some fresh blood

PF9

Smash Lord
You know the Masterpieces section of Brawl and SSB Wii U?

I'd like to see it return, but in addition to game demos, I'd like to see clips from the various TV shows that some of the playable characters appeared in - for example - memorable Pikachu moments from the Pokemon anime. You'd be able to purchase the full episodes in whatever store you download stuff onto the Switch.

As far as new characters go, one I'd like to see is Meowth, who may be one of the most iconic Pokemon outside Pikachu for his status as the main villain Pokemon in the anime. As such, Ash's Pikachu (who I think is the Pikachu in Smash) and TR's Meowth have had many memorable battles.

King K. Rool and Krystal need to be in too. They were popular choices in the ballot, and that should be taken into consideration.

As far as returnees absent from SSB4, bring back Pichu and the Ice Climbers at least. Pichu was something of a secondary main in Melee being the pre-evo of Pikachu (my series-wide main), and should at the very least be considered for DLC - which BTW this time around should last a long time, SSB4's ended way too soon.

The Ice Climbers have proven popular too. There shouldn't be any reason not to bring them back.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I guess it's time for a new top 5.

1. Bomberman
2. Snake
3. Isaac
4. Inklings
5. Goku

Yes that Goku. Idgaf.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
If there's one thing I've noticed, it's that whenever anyone asks what characters or features everyone wants to see happen, the most common answers are always things that were in a previous Smash game. That's what exposure can do: associate something or someone with Smash in the eyes of the general public. To many, those ideas feel the most likely just because they're what first comes to mind.

But just because they feel the likeliest at first glance doesn't mean they actually are. Make sure to expand your horizons and look beyond what and who you already know, because the more limited your scope, the less accurate your predictions are going to be.

EDIT: Lagboards, work with me here.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
In all seriousness, I still want a Fatal Frame character despite the series being small.

Though I can acknowledge that Tecmo Koei would rather go with someone more recognizable like Ryu Hayabusa or a Warriors character. The last part is debatable, but they are the biggest thing that the Koei side of the company can offer unless we should count Hyrule Warriors original characters like Lana as one.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
In all seriousness, I still want a Fatal Frame character despite the series being small.

Though I can acknowledge that Tecmo Koei would rather go with someone more recognizable like Ryu Hayabusa or a Warriors character. The last part is debatable, but they are the biggest thing that the Koei side of the company can offer unless we should count Hyrule Warriors original characters like Lana as one.
Sounds about right. Ninja Gaiden is not only one of Tecmo's most popular games, but Hayabusa is an icon in his own right. Dare I say it, his popularity surpassed another certain video game ninja (Joe Musashi) if we compare the impact both characters had. Shinobi tried reviving itself in 3D only to fail while the Ninja Gaiden reboots were fairly successful (until the 3rd game happened with the need of a updated version just to fix the original's flaws).

If you were to ask someone who is Tecmo's most famous character, he's definitely the most likely answer. Well maybe someone like Kasumi or Ayane, but Dead or Alive was more notorious for its sex appeal than being a real game changing 3D arena fighter like Tekken and Virtua Fighter.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Sounds about right. Ninja Gaiden is not only one of Tecmo's most popular games, but Hayabusa is an icon in his own right. Dare I say it, his popularity surpassed another certain video game ninja (Joe Musashi) if we compare the impact both characters had. Shinobi tried reviving itself in 3D only to fail while the Ninja Gaiden reboots were fairly successful (until the 3rd game happened with the need of a updated version just to fix the original's flaws).

If you were to ask someone who is Tecmo's most famous character, he's definitely the most likely answer. Well maybe someone like Kasumi or Ayane, but Dead or Alive was more notorious for its sex appeal than being a real game changing 3D arena fighter like Tekken and Virtua Fighter.
Huh? Dead or Alive 2 is one of the best fighting games. 4 was pretty good too. Wish that would become backwards compatible on Xbox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom