• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
I mean, the more likely scenario is that it wasn't a tease. It's people reacting like that that make Sakurai hate using Twitter. Sometimes a dude just likes a picture.
The picture is a Golden Sun reference. The dragon, the angle and the characters match up perfectly. Sakurai absolutely has to know it would remind people of Golden Sun.
Why then, if they're making sure this game is all about pleasing the fans with the ballot and stuff, would Sakurai share it? I mean, sure, it could be he just liked it but I can't see Sakurai being so tone deaf as to plant false hopes like that.

But it's not just the picture. Waluigi, Lyn, Midna, and many prominent AT characters were shut down as soon as possible, why leave Isaac, one of the big guys, until the very end?

Sakurai isn't a "troll" and I believe he, and/or the team, have been when teasing stuff. Ghirahim was deconfirmed the day before they posted a pic of the day showing off Ghirahim's theme, for example.
Also, Palutena was heavily teased, twice, first with the statue, then with the Pseudo-Palutena fake-out in a direct.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Keep in my the last Smash Direct was 30 minutes and managed to squeeze in 5 characters.

This one will be 40. It's plausible for there to be 7 characters.

HesIn

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, Verg should just come out and say if Geno is also an AT to get people better prepared for the Direct.

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
Literally nothing has changed to debunk the biggest, arguably most credible leak we have...yet a bunch of “insiders” who were very quiet leading up to said leak are trying to jump back into the spotlight.

Sure sounds like trying to maintain relevance & e-cred, more than anything else.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I can't believe people still treat getting made into an assist trophy like it's an insult. Assists are a way to represent characters and franchises who didn't get playable representation for x, y or z reasons. No need to take it so personally. Assists may not be as good as having the character be real, but they're still generally made with respect for the character and their fans.

It's better then Isaac not returning at all.
Ehhhhhhhh

Depends. If there's enough landmark support after the fact to get Sakurai to change his mind and make the character playable instead of an Assist Trophy, that's something I actually believe could happen. It's something I had faith in back when I voted for Dark Samus in the ballot.

However, Assist Trophy status might discourage people from supporting the character because they see it as "never happening" until the next game. When I asked once about Skull Kid's support in the ballot, someone mentioned how it wasn't very prominent because he was an Assist Trophy, so people didn't think he was viable. This is in spite of Majora's Mask 3D having released right around the ballot's start, too.

So if Isaac or Shadow are an AT, the only way they're becoming playable in Ultimate is if their supporters double down and unite in defiance and continue voicing their support, instead of having half of them pack it up and go home.

I mean, I'd take a Chibi-Robo Assist Trophy, but at this point I'm willing to take anything because Dark Samus is in the game and not as an Assist Trophy.

Shroob

Sup?
In a way I'm glad Verg talked. Like him or despise him, it gives us SOMETHING to go nuts over right before the final dump of info

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Sakurai: -shows up the last direct 15 minutes late with all the fan favorites in tow but as assist trophies- Here's ****ing Ken and Incineroar. Peace out.

Literally the worst possible ending for a game that started out as hype and about pleasing fans.

Yet some insiders claiming this scenario is better than the Grinch Leak?

I don't even necessarily believe that leak anymore, but yeah, no.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
So based on the hints there are giving us I believe this is what its looking like:

Playable: Ken, Incineroar
ATs: Isaac and Geno
Not in the Game: Mach Rider
Mystery: Shadow, Chorus Kids, Banjo
Where's the Geno assist coming from? If we're saying this based on Verge, then Geno should be a front runner because of Verge's Squeenix character.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The much-maligned insiders are pegging it at three or four reveals left. I don't have a specific post, it's just from gleaning the resetera thread.

Two would be accounted for in the box boys. I suspect one is a Square character. The other, who may or may not exist, iunno.

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
If Shadow, Geno, and Isaac are all shown as ATs....

This will officially be the saltiest moment in Smash history. Corrin and Bayo don't even come CLOSE.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Keep in my the last Smash Direct was 30 minutes and managed to squeeze in 5 characters.

This one will be 40. It's plausible for there to be 7 characters.
Spirits, Trophies, Minigames, more ATs maybe, perhaps stage builder, who knows how many changes or new modes.

We didn't get almost anything about the actual content of the game last Smash Direct, there's actually an incredible amount of basic stuff we don't know.

CrunchyCHEEZIT

Smash Journeyman
are people seriously taking Vergeben's word as fact (again) with that gif he posted alongside it? it's way more likely the dude is just trolling and stirring **** up because we're at the endgame and whatever gets announced in the Direct may or may not shatter any credibility he had left. And as people have noted, what he said directly contradicts what other insiders said, only furthering my point that insiders are hard-pressed to be trusted when they're throwing out contradicting information.

I haven't even read the last couple of pages but apparently, some literally who insiders are now piggybacking off of Vergeben and saying its legit? like, **** off, dude.

don't lose hope, isaacbros. and better yet, anyone going around now and saying "OH VERGEBEN SAID IT, IM SORRY ISAACBROS YOU WERE SO CLOSE QQ" can go eat a fat one because all that does is dampen the hopes of everyone and make you look like a dingus for parading a leaker's word as fact for the umpteenth ****ing time since this whole shebang even began.

TL;DR it isn't ogre till its ogre, boys. try to have more mental constitution than a wet paper towel for the next 30-something hours, please.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
If Isaac really is an AT, I'll stop by the support thread for him to give his fans my condolences, and some advice as someone who wanted Ridley during Smash 4's speculation.

Confirmation

Smash Ace
I can't believe people still treat getting made into an assist trophy like it's an insult. Assists are a way to represent characters and franchises who didn't get playable representation for x, y or z reasons. No need to take it so personally. Assists may not be as good as having the character be real, but they're still generally made with respect for the character and their fans.

It's better then Isaac not returning at all.
This subject has been beaten to death in the Isaac thread, ressurected with Revive, and beaten to death another fifteen times ad nauseum.

The issue is with how it happens. Bringing back an AT from previous games is understandable; if Isaac was an AT in 4 and returned yet again as one, that's the way it is. You don't eliminate an AT for no reason and, after a massive push by fans for their inclusion and a massive ballot presence after stating that the roster has been influenced by said ballot, decide to give them what they already had 10 years ago and call it an honor.

Mellowy Yellow

Smash Lord
Sakurai: -shows up the last direct 15 minutes late with all the fan favorites in tow but as assist trophies- Here's ****ing Ken and Incineroar. Peace out.

Literally the worst possible ending for a game that started out as hype and about pleasing fans.

I would be expecting a livid fanbase reaction similar to Nintendo's terrible E3 2015 direct.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Literally nothing has changed to debunk the biggest, arguably most credible leak we have...yet a bunch of “insiders” who were very quiet leading up to said leak are trying to jump back into the spotlight.

Sure sounds like trying to maintain relevance & e-cred, more than anything else.
Why... would they do that when there's literally 2 days left? it's much easier to just keep quiet

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Think of it this way: If Isaac is an Assist Trophy, at least he's in. And if he's not and actually playable, you can see all of Vergeben crumble beneath your feet.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Spirits, Trophies, Minigames, more ATs maybe, perhaps stage builder, who knows how many changes or new modes.

We didn't get almost anything about the actual content of the game last Smash Direct, there's actually an incredible amount of basic stuff we don't know.
Didn't the last Smash Direct have ATs and other stuff revealed?

Also character reveals normally last less then two minutes.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Insiders: Says something against the Grinch leak

Smash Fans:
Vergeben: Isaac is an Assist Trophy. [posts gif that's essentially "deal with it" without the pixelated sunglasses]

Me:
f49.jpg

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
<-- Friendly reminder some of the best characters will never get into Smash.

Last edited:

HesIn

Smash Apprentice
Actually has anyone said that Geno would be an AT besides what I heard were some people on Resetera?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I believe Nintendo could very well be sending out fake info due to the leak if it's real.

I just find it strange that no one said anything other than "It's missing multiple characters, not just Incineroar" until today when saying it's definitely fake; some have said that characters in the leak are playable, just helping to show that insiders have a bunch of conflicting information.

Last edited:

KiBom

Smash Journeyman
I'm interested to see what a poll here would say in terms of Team Real or Team Fake. I feel like it's swung hugely towards fake in the last day.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

I'm hoping against the grain here dude. Obv it would take a lot for all these ERA insiders to be wrong but hope against hope I guess.

What i'm not looking forward to is the influx of people mocking everyone who wanted the characters from the Grinch leak and how they were "right all along". Prob the worst part of this.

Potato_

Smash Lord
In a way I'm glad Verg talked. Like him or despise him, it gives us SOMETHING to go nuts over right before the final dump of info
Completely agree, I just feel really bad for Isaac fans.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
His timing and presentation about Isaac just doesn't seem right to me. And I always thought Verg was the most credible. But I almost expect him to mention the Mario Bros. getting assisted a few hours before Direct drops.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
i dont even see anyone going nuts, just a lot of people losing hope and hype which is honestly a ****in bummer.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Honestly, Verg should just come out and say if Geno is also an AT to get people better prepared for the Direct.
If he's sticking to his gun that he doesn't know exactly who the Square rep is, I doubt he'd know if Geno was an assist or not, as that would require knowledge of what Square is bringing to the table to this time, fighter or otherwise.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Honestly, it's just hard to think that this 40 minute Direct would have... 1 unique and 1 echo? Not even a number 70 fighter?

Idk, sounds like such a small amount of characters in a 40 freaking minute Direct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom