• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Sorry regarding this sprout, possibilities seem to include

Most Likely
Golden Sum Growth
Pokemon Leech Seed
Hanenbow thing
Minecraft seed
Paper Mario mind control
Least likely

Or just an original item

Any other possibilities?

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
The Grinch leak in a nutshell, Michael representing the leak that just doesn’t seem to die (at least not yet anyway):

260506B5-2905-4E0D-8177-DB23BBE07361.gif

AugustusB

Smash Champion
You know...this brings up an interesting thought: we've sort of been assuming the mural has been having characters added to it this whole time, and that they're doing that over a completed blank background, which would make a ton of sense if you had planned to add each character from the beginning. Of course you'd do that, as layers and so forth would help a ridiculous amount.

But...what if it's actually reversed? What if the entire mural was completed first, and characters were taken out of it so they could be kept secret?

Think about it: these aren't renders, they're drawn art. And many of them, quite a FEW of them, interact with each other. A notable example is Chrom, a character not revealed until later, is looking down at Robin, who was already there. This implies that the entire mural was planned and drawn all at once, to be a cohesive whole. That would be the easiest way to make sure the style and forms meshed together correctly, and also that the background would be the right size for everyone to fit correctly when it was done. I daresay it's the only way you could do that, but I won't say that's definite.

Either way, this could explain why the background is inconsistent--they drew the mural directly onto it, and after cutting characters out, they had to edit it to fill the spaces.

This is a bit reachy, I know. And I'm also aware that many pieces of art are also used for the cover art, which would suggest they were drawn separately. But it's possible those were cut out specifically for the boxart. I just find it odd to consider the mural characters were drawn completely separate, especially when you've got things like Wario and Dedede reacting to PT, and Dr. Mario checking G&W's vitals.

Usually I stay away from background discussion...but I thought I'd throw this in to see what you all think. It's got holes, and I'm sure it'll be blasted apart. But I haven't seen anyone suggest this yet, so why not, for the sake of discussion?:p
Hahaha wonderfully said sir. From the Banjo Thread to help with the characters interacting with each other, Banjo and Kazooie appear to be looking up at Bayonetta...The Bird, the Bear...and the Witch.

Seriously, you might be on to something.

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Reason I believe Incineroar is due to the trend of each Smash game getting a new Pokemon and retro newcomer.
But Alola and its Pokemon aren't even that relevant anymore. Most of the focus is on LGPE now, and for DLC, the focus will be on Gen 8. Wouldn't it make more sense to include a newer Pokemon for promotional purposes? Let's be honest. Most of Incineroar's popularity came from people trying to hop onto the vergeben train.

Last edited:

xjthegulpin

Smash Apprentice
I think the next character reveal will be the Chorus Kids if the leak is true (Character Number 69 unfortunately). Tsunku, one of the creators of Rhythm Heaven, has his 50th Birthday on the 29th of October. Unfortunately, he suffers from a throat cancer and had to have his vocal chords removed. This is all speculation, but there’s a small small SMALL chance we may get a character reveal three days from now.

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
wow.

ok im on board with this.

makes a TON of sense to "fill" the empty space as they had to make banners WITHOUT characters, not the other way around.

this is actually pretty genius.
This doesn't explain why there would be two different backgrounds. Even if they painted a finished mural on one layer and had to recreate the background, you'd still only have one finished background.

Confirmation

Smash Ace

Most Likely
Golden Sum Growth
Pokemon Leech Seed
Hanenbow thing
Minecraft seed
Paper Mario mind control
Least likely

Or just an original item

Any other possibilities?
Hanenbrow would be ridiculous, Minecraft seeds look nothing like this, leech seed as an item is a huge stretch. Paper Mario is a long shot and still more likely than those.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800

Most Likely
Golden Sum Growth
Pokemon Leech Seed
Hanenbow thing
Minecraft seed
Paper Mario mind control
Least likely

Or just an original item

Any other possibilities?
I'm 99% sure it's unrelated to Minecraft. If they were going to include food items it seems way, way more likely for them to just integrate carrots/potatoes/bread/etc. into the actual food items as a reference.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Reason I believe Incineroar is due to the trend of each Smash game getting a new Pokemon and retro newcomer.

Melee: :ultpichu::ultmewtwo::ulticeclimbers::ultgnw:
Brawl::ultpokemontrainer::ultlucario::ultpit::ultrob:
Sm4sh::ultgreninja::ultlittlemac::ultduckhunt:
Well yeah, I get that. I mean, I was even predicting we would get a Pokémon for the base roster.
Pretty much everyone agreed they would be a hard lock.
But I wouldn’t be surprised if he was used to crack down on leaks, especially since Incineroar (or any Pokémon for that matter) is practically expected to show up this iteration. Like after all, you said that’s why you believe that he’s missing.
It’s something many people deemed predictable and believable.

Again, this is assuming the leak is real. I just personally wouldn’t be surprised if the banner was the final roster, and Incineroar was one of the characters being used to flush out leaks. So quite a few insiders latched onto it, and were left befuddled because they were duped by Nintendo themselves.
Or unless it turns out to be a scrapped concept, or they become DLC.
I’m just viewing it from the mindset of it being the rest of the base roster.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
But Alola and its Pokemon aren't even that relevant anymore. Most of the focus is on LGPE now, and for DLC, the focus will be on Gen 8. Wouldn't it make more sense to include a newer Pokemon for promotional purposes?
Considering Pokemons popularity it wouldn't surprise me that we get Incineroar in Base but otherwise a Gen 8 Pokemon as DLC.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
1st November Direct: Incineroar, Mach Rider, Chorus Kids, Ken
2nd November Direct: Isaac, Geno, Banjo-Kazooie, Shadow

If I had to predict if this banner leak is true.
I think those are way too close together, and I feel like the only characters that could be grouped together (since they're not from the same series) would be Ken & Shadow, given they're echoes like Chrom and Dark Samus.

My very arbitrary predictions:

November 1: Smash Direct - Mach Rider, Ken & Shadow, Isaac, Geno
November 8: Nintendo Direct - Chorus Kids, Banjo & Kazooie (possibly with an announcement of a N64 classic with Rare titles, or revealed later)

I'm leaving Incineroar out, because if this leak is true, I can see either a) Incineroar not being in (leaker bait) b) Saved for last or DLC

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The only reason why there hasn't been any Directs or anything like that this month is because they're debating on who to sacrifice as number 69 to the Internet.
Mach Rider is the only objectively female character left on that mural if it's real.

So let's just hope it's not her in that event.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Pokemon Leech Seed
...oh no.

I didn't think of that.

An item that saps health from your oponent for yourself. I swear to god if it's that I don't know-

Though I'll be sincere and say that it doesn't give me the strongest Pokémon vibes

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I... kinda like the idea of Leech Seed as an item.

I doubt that's what it is, but it would definitely be one of the more interesting healing items.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I think those are way too close together, and I feel like the only characters that could be grouped together (since they're not from the same series) would be Ken & Shadow, given they're echoes like Chrom and Dark Samus.

November 8: Nintendo Direct - Chorus Kids, Banjo & Kazooie (possibly with an announcement of a N64 classic with Rare titles, or revealed later)

I'm leaving Incineroar out, because if this leak is true, I can see either a) Incineroar not being in (leaker bait) b) Saved for last or DLC
Good prediction though I'd probably switch Geno and Chorus Kids.

Confirmation

Smash Ace
...oh no.

I didn't think of that.

An item that saps health from your oponent for yourself. I swear to god if it's that I don't know-
If you think Nintendo would make a Pokemon move an item instead of adding a new 'Mon, I can't help you. You've entered levels of speculation thought to be impossible

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'd relate Michael more to the hope of Smash speculaters that we're actually gonna get more than Kencineroer

The girl being the Box leak
''The girl?"

Excuse you?

-cracks knuckles-

Let me tell you about Laurie Strode.

Let me tell you about Jamie Lee Curtis.

Let me tell you about the respect you should put on her name cause she is the damn queen of horror.

potato69

Smash Apprentice
Me opening Smashboards and lurking in this thread every 5 minutes in hopes of seeing the tiniest bit of Smash Bros information instead of studying for my exam tomorrow, subsequently causing even more stress on top of problems in my personal life that I should be dealing with:

KngTrue

Smash Rookie
Well I’ve been sort of lurking here since last night so I finally made an account. Happy to be here and look forward to hyping the next smash direct with everyone!
Same here man ! But boy is this site a mess I’m sure I’ll get used to it tho

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
I've always been under the assumption is was designed as a full banner and then characters were removed.

However, there's almost no chance they painted the mural finished without layers. You use layers even if you aren't planning on releasing a different version. The non-destructive workflow is the biggest thing digital artwork has over traditional artwork.
I wouldn't say you're reaching, more like you're a bit on the dark on how the drawing process would actually work in this case.

For one, you're absolutely right the finished mural was the first thing done and that characters were removed for different reveals at different times. I didn't think there was any doubt about that seeing that the final composition is probably very well done.

Now, the problem with this is: You bring up that the characters could have been drawn separately, but for some reason back out on that. I can assure you, with 100% certainity, that each character has it's own photoshop layer and were all drawn seperately like that. It doesn't mean they weren't made inside the same piece, but they clearly were made in different layers, so they could be moved around and removed at will. With that set, the background was also drawn in it's entirety without any characters obscuring it. We can see that very clearly on how the E3 screens for the splash art worked, since they start as a barren battleground with characters that keep popping up. So there's no chance that they had to redraw it because it makes no sense, no professional artist would do something like that.
Yeah, that's about what I thought...I do digital art myself, and I would never imagine doing a thing like this without layers. I mean, that has GOT to be an insane amount of layers, but nonetheless, I'm sure that's how it was done. I do wonder if some of the interactions were painted together though, as G&W's would make zero sense on his own, lol.

Anyway, I appreciate the analyses! That should at least cover it if anyone else goes down that road. I really don't know what to think of the background, honestly. I doubt I'll be poking at it again, though. It seems like an inconclusive way to prove or disprove this leak.

...though I suppose everything except an actual reveal is.:laugh:

MrHomelessHobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Orangeporrige
When it comes to the two different backgrounds, I think that's silly.
Yes it is most likely that they made the completed mural first and removed characters, because that's how most projects like this work.
However they wouldn't need to make a separate background because the original one would be on a separate layer.

The only scenario I could see them using a separate background is to remove details for smaller prints. But even then if the supposed leak mural is for a huge banner, they wouldn't need to remove details.

Enchess

Smash Lord
''The girl?"

Excuse you?

-cracks knuckles-

Let me tell you about the respect you should put on her name cause she is the damn queen of horror.
I'm watching Dean Munsch give a speech in Season 1 of Scream Queens as I read this.

Jamie Lee Curtis is a treasure we don't deserve.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Good prediction though I'd probably switch Geno and Chorus Kids.
My reasoning is I think perhaps if Rhythm Heaven were to have some announcement to tie in, it would probably be in a General Nintendo Direct, and feels like the only one that could be tied to an announcement along with Banjo. Whereas fan favorite characters would mostly populate the Smash Direct (Mach Rider being the WTF moment at the beginning). That being said, I know nothing about Rhythm Heaven or its possibilities of having an announcement in a Direct.

Last edited:

Heracr055

Smash Ace
Uh, I'm a bit bored so I'll expand on @drag0nscythe's idea. List your top 5 favorite and least favorite characters in SSBU. Explanations are fine, but not needed.

Favorite: :ultlink::ultgreninja::ultlucario::ultmewtwo::ultsonic:

Least Favorite: :ultdaisy::ultpeach::ultinkling::ultisabelle::ultwario: (this all could change)

What about you?
This is mostly based off of who I like the look of, not necessarily competitive impressions:

Favorite:

:ultzelda: Best improved design by far
:ultyounglink: Best model in the game
:ultrichter: As I've stated before he gives me a Subzero vibe wrt Simon's Scorpion
:ultlucina: I like her updated look (her face looked weird to me in Wii U)
:ultisabelle: She looks so happy (I adore her orange jacket look) AND NONE OF YOU WILL LAY A FINGER ON HER

Least Favorite:

:ultlucario:

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
My reasoning is I think perhaps if Rhythm Heaven were to have some announcement to tie in, it would probably be in a General Nintendo Direct, and feels like the only one that could be tied to an announcement along with Banjo. Whereas fan favorite characters would mostly populate the Smash Direct (Mach Rider being the WTF moment at the beginning). That being said, I know nothing about Rhythm Heaven or it's possibilities of having an announcement in a Direct.
Makes sense I guess. Geno just feels alongside Banjo the only ones that come to mind that could top Ridley and K. Rool in terms of hype. Isaac would almost be up there too though.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
''The girl?"

Excuse you?

-cracks knuckles-

****in you know what I mean that girl that survived the nightmare in Texas on the 13th or whatever

Mod Edit: please do not censor dodge.

Last edited by a moderator:

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
So... we're right at six weeks until launch now! :estatic:

Hopefully we'll have our direct within the next two weeks and no everything that there is to know in terms of roster, modes, and everything in between. It won't be long now until Ultimate is within our grasp, and we'll be able to dive in and explore this content-filled game for ourselves. Just keep that in mind in case the wait starts to feel unbearable. ;)

Anybody else going to be diving into Castlevania Requiem to help pass the time? I'm really excited to check out both Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night, and it will be interesting to see just how much I like :ultrichter: in comparison to :ultsimon: from my time with Super Castlevania IV. It should make for a fun time I feel, and I'm looking forward to completing both games at 100% (or 200% for SotN, as I've heard), so these two games should keep me busy for a little while.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
...oh no.

I didn't think of that.

Though I'll be sincere and say that it doesn't give me the strongest Pokémon vibes
It can't be an item because Ivysaur can't be affected by it.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Makes sense I guess. Geno just feels alongside Banjo the only ones that come to mind that could top Ridley and K. Rool in terms of hype. Isaac would almost be up there too though.
Me too, and I think they go great together. That being said, I was compelled by someone's assertion that Third Parties generally don't like to play together in the same Direct for attention (possible counter: Simon and Rathalos). So, makes sense if there's two Directs, there'd be a third party each (and makes sense, since the unannounced characters in the leaks include two third parties).

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

I cannot see them doing two directs in the same week announcing that many characters. I just can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom