• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
There is just one thing I want to see happening now.
Come on Sakurai, make it Toon Link's alt already, you've got the design right there! You're just going to Alfonzo it anyway whenever Toon Link (And probably Link and Young Link too) is on that stage...

Also Outset alt too while you're at it plz....

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
R.I.P. my hopes and dreams for Bomberman and Sukapon but at least there is Ridley and Wolf
so here is my top characters that i wanted so far
1. Geno
2. Isaac
3. Alex Kidd
4. King K. Rool
5. Ninten (echo fighter pleeeeeease)
6. Bomberman
7. Grovyle (PMD)
8. Rayman
9. Captian Rainbow
10. Sukapon
11. Ridley
12. Skull Kid (was he shown yet?)
13. Crash Bandicoot
14. Nester (Nintendo power)
15. Harry (Teleroboxer)

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
So my personal guess at the number etc. of new characters is this :

7 new characters (without DLC). 2 more revealed now (one today, one tomorrow) to fill the 2 "empty spots" in that Amiibo case they showed off.
Then one character a month revealed until November(July, August, September, October, November for 5 characters), and release in december.

That would bring the number of characters to 70 (coutning Pkmn-Trainer as 3) after E3, and 75 total.

Would be perfect X)

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Amazing Ampharos Amazing Ampharos

It's really good to see you, bud. While I wasn't one hundred percent on-board for customs across the entire cast, I did sort of champion your cause for allowing Miis and Palutena access to their entire moveset. Your later proposal to create sort of fixed "sets" for those characters made a helluva lot of sense, and it would have been insanely simple to implement. Alas, the community opted to take the lazy route and dismissed whole parts of the characters' kits.

I really hope you stick around for this game and give us your insight. You definitely enriched the competitive community in those early days of Smash 4.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
So my personal guess at the number etc. of new characters is this :

7 new characters (without DLC). 2 more revealed now (one today, one tomorrow) to fill the 2 "empty spots" in that Amiibo case they showed off.
Then one character a month revealed until November(July, August, September, October, November for 5 characters), and release in december.

That would bring the number of characters to 70 (coutning Pkmn-Trainer as 3) after E3, and 75 total.

Would be perfect X)
PKMN Trainer is in a weird spot.

They count him as 3 different spots, but on the advert page, they specifically say "Pokemon Trainer counts as 1" when they tally up the total amount of characters(Which is 66 by this logic).

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
I definitely think Shadow probably is an echo fighter, with Knuckles getting the assist trophy spot. He's a clone of Sonic in most games anyway, so makes sense.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I realised my icon has the same English voice actor with Marth...ok.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
does anyone have any ideas of what the starting roster will look like?

In the direct Sakurai mentioned something to the effect of "Don't be surprised if the starting roster is as small as the Smash 64 roster" then he went onto explain he's got this criteria planned for unlocking characters. Which really excited me, that's the funnest part of Smash is unlocking characters. It would feel really cool to progress through unlocking characters.... unlock the 64, followed by melee, then brawl characters etc.

Shroob

Sup?
In the direct Sakurai mentioned something to the effect of "Don't be surprised if the starting roster is as small as the Smash 64 roster" then he went onto explain he's got this criteria planned for unlocking characters. Which really excited me, that's the funnest part of Smash is unlocking characters. It would feel really cool to progress through unlocking characters.... unlock the 64, followed by melee, then brawl characters etc.
I just hope it's not just "Win X amount of VS matches" for all of them. It'd be incredibly linear.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I just hope it's not just "Win X amount of VS matches" for all of them. It'd be incredibly linear.
He did say it was streamlined.

Smash 4 was streamlined where you got a character every 10 matches.

On the other hand, it's meant to be interesting the criteria, so who knows?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Speaking of rosters, I hope they end up listing characters on the CSS by series and not by the order they appeared in Smash.

Honestly, it's a little weird to think of Snake being right smack in the middle while both Inkling and Ridley are dead last.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
As it should be.

Custom Moves were a neat idea but horribly executed.
Only because the way they were unlocked was time consuming. If they truly are gone, that could be a huge mistake, as certain custom special moves are more viable than the defaults for certain match-ups.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Maybe a story mode where you start with the original characters from smash 64 and expand from there.
I mean the ultimate Smash Brothers game that feels like Sakurai is just going all in with returning elements?

A story mode DOES make sense, but we'll see.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Speaking of rosters, I hope they end up listing characters on the CSS by series and not by the order they appeared in Smash.

Honestly, it's a little weird to think of Snake being right smack in the middle while both Inkling and Ridley are dead last.
Woof, if they’re really pushing for this order of appearance thing my OCD is going to murder me deader than Samus’s parents.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think there may be a story mode but it won't be as extensive as SSE.

Maybe one or two "platforming" levels like Melee's version but not to the point it's another whole game.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I understand that's what they were going with, but it was executed horribly. Now these two got a disproportionate low amount of excitement due to it.

Also, sure you could explain that about Luigi, but why drag Yoshi into it. He's not a clumsy goof
To be very fair, Yoshi has gotten the cold shoulder in the recent Super Mario mainstream titles. Despite aiding Mario in his adventures, Yoshi doesn't make any kind of appearance after Mario saves Princess Peach; this is most notable in New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and New Super Mario Bros. U.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
To be very fair, Yoshi has gotten the cold shoulder in the recent Super Mario mainstream titles. Despite aiding Mario in his adventures, Yoshi doesn't make any kind of appearance after Mario saves Princess Peach; this is most notable in New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and New Super Mario Bros. U.
Yoshi was a pretty big deal in Odyssey’s post game though, he even trumped Luigi being playable.

blackghost

Smash Champion
the fact that only one CGI trsiler was show to me points to a story mode. resources are finite. smash 4 poured alot into those trailers we all loved. smash ultimate has toned that down in favor of gameplay glances. with one cgi trailer for the one who is too big.

inklings are interesting and daisy as an echo fighter is much more interesting than i initially thought becuase peach has so many techniques and abilities that switching a few nets a much greater change than most other echos.

LOVE the new knockback changes. makes game go even faster.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Bayo dominated the meta for 3 years, every tournament even leading to E3. That hate doesn't go away easily.
And when MKLeo won his last stock off a safe onstage barrage of unavoidable bullets? Welll that's just the hay that broke the camel's back.
With stuff like that roaming around, you may have to start asking if nerfing the dodging mechanics was actually a bad idea.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Inklings are the 64th character to join Smash.
Ridley is the 65th character to join Smash.
The next character will be...

Calling it now. The next newcomer will be bottom-tier.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Not every single one of them but I think humanoid characters really benefited from the models this time.

Culex

Smash Rookie
I think customs are back, the Treehouse footage of Ike's Eruption didn't really have any changes yet Eruption has a shockwave according to his video
I hope we're gonna see a little bit more than just free for alls on Treehouse. I don't know if it's just me, but nobody seemed to care too much for customs in Smash 4. Let's see if they've made any changes to them.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I hope we're gonna see a little bit more than just free for alls on Treehouse. I don't know if it's just me, but nobody seemed to care too much for customs in Smash 4. Let's see if they've made any changes to them.
The method for unlocking custom special moves is the main reason why they've had almost no competitive usage. All that we can really do is pray that if they do come back, the unlocking process won't be so time consuming.

Culex

Smash Rookie
The method for unlocking custom special moves is the main reason why they've had almost no competitive usage. All that we can really do is pray that if they do come back, the unlocking process won't be so time consuming.
I agree with you. It took way too long to unlock all custom moves in Smash 4.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Everyone seems to be aiming high with their newcomer predictions, and here I am thinking they'll put Dixie in as an echo character to give Donkey Kong a new representative without having to put too much work into her.

I'm still riding high on the Ridley reveal like a lot of ya'll, but I just don't see K.Rool getting it to be frank.
Dixie as an Echo Fighter makes extremely little sense. Despite what Source Gaming would have you imply there is nothing about Dixie's moveset that draws any resemblance to Diddy given that he's modeled after his DKC2 incarnation. Diddy's motions in that game are acrobatic, powerful and fast (which reflects onto his moveset in Smash) whereas Dixie's all-fours posture and less strength means she animates completely differently, having to use wide body motions with her hair. She doesn't do cartwheels, she doesn't have a rocketbarrel, her jumps have floats, etc. Imagining Dixie pasted over Diddy's moveset is... extremely awkward. It makes no sense for her to do half the stuff he does and the only reason people assume that to be the case is because they're of a similar size.

If there's any character that would make it in as a DK Echo Fighter, it'd likely be Funky Kong, and it'd be as an Echo Figther of DK.

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
I think there may be a story mode but it won't be as extensive as SSE.

Maybe one or two "platforming" levels like Melee's version but not to the point it's another whole game.
Do you think that the Story Mode would be like Melee?

To make a story mode like Subspace Emissary, it would take a hell like 3 or 4 years to do so.
Renember when Brawl was released? It was 2008. I suppose that the Subspace Emissary is something to do with this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom