• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Five extra newcomers eh?

I'd say Bandana Dee, Isabelle, Dixie Kong/ King K. Rool (confident of DK rep), Ridley/King K. Rool (confident of giant reptile boss rep) and the 3rd party who I'm still gonna say is Rayman.

And have an Alola Pokemon as my back-up

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
What would be really weird is if Sakurai tried to get Steve in Smash, and Microsoft insisted on somebody else instead....And we hear the Halo theme in a Smash reveal trailer instead, god that would be weird
It'd be weird, but also like when Sonic and Snake were revealed for Brawl, a possibility no one thought would happen. Though tbh, since Microsoft want Banjo and Kazooie in there it's not entirley out of the park... if anything if we don't ever get Snake back I could see Master Chief as a reasonable replacement, even if he's from Microsoft.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Okay. Big bet.
If Sora isn't in the base roster, I think he'll be in DLC, probably because it would be easier to share the money with Nintendo/Disney/Square. Especially if that rumor of Square and Nintendo not being sure about how to share the Amiibo sales profit being the reason for Cloud's Amiibo to be that late

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I may actually cry if Sora gets announced ever.

It'd be a pretty ugly cry too. That game changed me.
We've all been up and down the Sora road thanks to his legal shinnanigans but I don't think anyone can deny he's more than big enough of a name to earn a place in Smash. I mean honestly the only reason I'm not more adamant about him is because I'm a Geno fanboy and want him as a Square rep first and foremost, but Kingdom Hearts means a LOT to me too. I just really want my dang action figure. Both KH and Mario's RPG games are to blame for me being the RPG nut I am today, in equal parts.

Maybe someday. Maybe someday very soon, even. We have a clearer image of his chances than ever thanks to that recent interview.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Okay. Big bet.
If Sora isn't in the base roster, I think he'll be in DLC, probably because it would be easier to share the money with Nintendo/Disney/Square. Especially if that rumor of Square and Nintendo not being sure about how to share the Amiibo sales profit being the reason for Cloud's Amiibo to be that late
I'm thinking DLC. Hopefully to coincide with a KH3 for Switch reveal (it can happen...)

I don't know. Personally I just cannot see him on base roster.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
It's hard for me to actually guess which specific characters will be shown at E3. I'll take a whack at it based on which franchises/roles I think are getting characters.

1. Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong character)
2. Lycanroc (New Pokemon)
3. Ridley

And then 2 third parties:
4. Jack Frost
5. Simon Belmont

Jack Frost is really just if Atlus wanted to push him and not Joker, who I think would be DLC. If that is the case, my prediction would probably be Rayman for that #4.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
So, say five newcomers get announced at e3 not including inklings. Which ones are they?
Going off of leaks I'm gonna say Ridley and Simon, then maybe K Rool/Dixie, Elma and Isabelle or maybe Bandana Dee or a Zelda rep. That seems like a good lineup of interesting and exciting characters. Knowing sakurai though one of them will be a wildcard like WFT was.

I feel like they'll save a pokemon and mario newcomer for later on.

Last edited:

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
@Opposum
TumblrFamous TumblrFamous
@Pikablu Pikachu
@CyberHyperPhoenix
@CCD23
MopedOfJustice MopedOfJustice
@Swampasaur
Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Here's the thing. I specifically said Dixie Kong WOULD be a clone. I never said she COULDN'T be an original character.

"And don't try to tell me Dixie Kong wouldn't be a clone/semi-clone, because that's just incorrect."

So if people can't decipher the difference between "wouldn't" and "couldn't" then the issue is not that I'm wording my arguments poorly. The issue is that people are interpreting the argument poorly. Because they hear something they don't wanna hear and then they get all excited to the point that they don't even really consider what's actually being said.

Instead of actually listening to what I was saying, people responded with "Where's your evidence Dixie Kong CAN'T be unique?!" when I never said she couldn't be.

If people can't actually listen to what I'm saying respond accordingly, then don't come to me and complain.

Because it's incredibly disrespectful to criticize other people for positions they don't hold and things they didn't say. You've been turned off these past few pages? How frustrated do you think I am?
dont @ me
Especially when you complain about people putting words in your mouth and then include me on your list for a lecture about a subject that I said nothing about. I don't even remotely care about Dixie and have done little to give a contrary impression.

Your arguments are too bad to justify your ridiculous level of confidence in them, but I still have no interest either in rule 63 Diddy or justifying your aforementioned hypocrisy by getting involved.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
We've all been up and down the Sora road thanks to his legal shinnanigans but I don't think anyone can deny he's more than big enough of a name to earn a place in Smash. I mean honestly the only reason I'm not more adamant about him is because I'm a Geno fanboy and want him as a Square rep first and foremost, but Kingdom Hearts means a LOT to me too. I just really want my dang action figure. Both KH and Mario's RPG games are to blame for me being the RPG nut I am today, in equal parts.

Maybe someday. Maybe someday very soon, even. We have a clearer image of his chances than ever thanks to that recent interview.
Sora is a Disney character first and foremost.

Though to be honest, Geno has a lot of competition, but considering Sakurai wants him personally in, well...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I've been trying to think up a way to fix up the equipment system so that it's more balanced overall. Below is a table that I've worked on, which shows how the multipliers for the attack and defense equipment could be fixed up.

Stat Value | Attack Multiplier | Defense Multiplier
-200 | 0.5x | 2x
-150 | 0.5714286x | 1.75x
-100 | 0.6666667x | 1.5x
-50 | 0.8x | 1.25x
0 | 1x | 1x
+50 | 1.25x | 0.8x
+100 | 1.5x | 0.6666667x
+150 | 1.75x | 0.5714286x
+200 | 2x | 0.5x
Also, equipment would be separated from the custom special moves, so that way, custom special moves can be used in game modes that do not allow the use of equipment (such as All-Star and Stadium).

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Five Newcomers at E3:

• (1. , 2.) K. Rool & Dixie in a reveal trailer!
K.Rool is originally revealed as Dixie while decked out in a costume before attacked by the original pony-tailed ape

• (3.) Simon Belmont; Snake revealed at the end hiding in a box
• (4.) Geno
• (5.) Ridley

Last edited:

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989

Though to be honest, Geno has a lot of competition, but considering Sakurai wants him personally in, well...
So I guess we can get Sora and Geno under the technicality that Sora is a Disney character, it's just that whenever Disney is thinking of using Sora in something that's not Kingdom Hearts they ask Square Enix and Nomura if the alright to do that since Sora is Nomura's baby pretty much.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

Sora is a Disney character but the designs are all Square's.
He's still a video game character too, which is one oddball of oddity in the video game - But I do feel that Sakurai would Approach Nomura/Square first to get Sora in Smash and only then, talk to Disney-
Basically a good explanation would be-
Down to Neck, Sora is to Square.
Neck and Up he's a Disney characters.
And that's even if on a legal standpoint they get the Okay from disney, to use it's design, they'll need Square OK too-

Also I would be Happy with Either Geno or Sora. They're both great-

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So I guess we can get Sora and Geno under the technicality that Sora is a Disney character, it's just that whenever Disney is thinking of using Sora in something that's not Kingdom Hearts they ask Square Enix and Nomura if the alright to do that since Sora is Nomura's baby pretty much.
There is no technicality. Disney owns the character completely. It's not a case of who is the creator, but who is the IP owner.

Nomura was involved in Smash last time though, wasn't he? I doubt he'd say no either way. If anything, he might be involved again to make sure the character feels right.

?????????????

Smash Master
Hm...it's always the long, negative comments that get to me and make me think. This is the one I got so far. What do you think? I'm asking because I want a second opinion.

"I really disagree with your list:

-For returning characters I personally see all of them returning. Dark Pit could potentially have new weapons to use and Dr Mario is a veteran. However Lucina I think will get cut and will be integrated into Robin's Final Smash. Meanwhile Wolf could return but I could see it happen both ways. Ice Climbers I'm confident. Snake however will not return, Kojima left Konami and he was the only reason why Snake was in smash because of his friendship with Sakurai, also he was hard to implement because of his mature style of fighting, honestly I see Simon Belmont or Bomberman having a higher chance.

-Daisy and Waluigi will not be in Smash. They don't have much going for them and I feel it over sursaturantes the roster. Besides Toad/Captain Toad every important Mario series character is already in. -I doubt Celica will get in because she has nothing special they could use for moves, also it feels weird to include her without Alm. Also Sakurai said he already considered the series to be over represented. And since the next game is still not close to release I'm pretty confident that we won't get any new Fire Emblem characters in the base roster.

-I don't think Impa will be in. The last we saw her was in Breath of the Wild but as an old lady which I doubt they would use her. While she is a recurring character because Hyrule Warriors is not main series and the fact that Skyward Sword and Ocarina of time is not fresh, makes me doubt she would get in. Meanwhile I think that they only have recurring Zelda characters in Smash so stuff like Skull Kid, Impa, Zant, Girahim and the 4 Champions won't be in. For now I think Tingle is morel likely due to Majoras Mask 3D and Wind Waker HD but even then it's debatable. So in short I think they will either add Tingle or no one else at all for now.

-I have no objections to Ridley. I personally doubt he would get in though Sakurai has on occasion changed his mind and maybe it could work though I doubt it.

-No Excitebiker will definitely not be in. There's nothing he can use for moves he's just on a bike.

-I don't see Springman in because I don't feel they can easily find good moves for him. Also the series might never continue in the future.

-Rythm Heaven isn't doing well so I'm doubtful.

-The only reason i don't think we would get a Dragon Quest character is that none of them really stood out."

Show less

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Sora's situation mirrors Bayonetta's.

Sora's rights are owned by Disney but Square Enix has ownership toward specific character designs.

Bayonetta is owned by SEGA but Nintendo has ownership over her Bayo 2 design.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
So, I just found out something interesting. Apparently Smash 4 was meant to have a story mode, just one without any cutscenes. Of course, Sakurai eventually went back on this decision and just didn't include a story mode at all, but since it was planned at one point for Smash 4, maybe we'll finally get it in this game?

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Sora's situation mirrors Bayonetta's.

Sora's rights are owned by Disney but Square Enix has ownership toward specific character designs.

Bayonetta is owned by SEGA but Nintendo has ownership over her Bayo 2 design.
Similar situation, but not quite the same, since Nintendo has no ownership over Sora in any way.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

I mean, yes and no? He's Disney owned legally, yes, but absolutely anything and everything they do with him is mandated by Namoura above all else. They've literally referred to him as his baby, and Disney is now on record saying it's something they'd be willing to discuss. But yeah, we all know Disney is bar none the biggest hurdle for him no matter what.

And believe me, I'm not so blind that I don't take Geno's competition lightly. Frankly, I'm only so passionate about him because he's my most wanted newcomer period, but I'm such a Square fanboy that just about anyone else would please me greatly.

All this has got me thinking... If you could have top 5 picks (or 3 if that's too much) from each third party company currently in Smash right now (and Konami if you're so inclined), who would it be? Reps from the same game are fine.

For me it's:

Square:
1. Geno
2. Sora
3. Neku Sakabura
4. Terra Branford
5. Chrono

SEGA:
1. Tails
2. NiGHTS
3. Billy Hatcher
4. Beat
5. Arle

Capcom:
1. Starforce Mega Man and/or Harp Note (Pipe Dreams, I'm well aware)
2. Amaterarsu
3. Phoenix Wright
4. Zero (Specifically MMZ Zero)
5. Dante

Namco:
1. Hehachi
2. Lloyd (Or any Tales protagonist, really)
3. Valkyrie
4. KOS MOS
5. That's about as far as I've gotten with Namco IPs, but Klonoa I guess?

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Smash AND Pokemon LG are playable at E3.

Next Tuesday is going to be insane.
Got a feeling we might see something related to Pokemon Let's Go in Smash as well.

Might get a new Generation 1 playable Pokemon even.

I'd love to see reactions to that.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Man, ever since I boldly predicted Sora for Smash Switch in Rate Their Chances with a large analysis, people have begun feeling somewhat optimistic of his chances now. How times have changed for the better. It feels like my research is paying off! :)

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Might get a new Generation 1 playable Pokemon even.

I'd love to see reactions to that.
I would be unironically mad.
Out of 812 pokemon we still get someone from the first 151 for the seventh time.

Man, ever since I boldly predicted Sora for Smash Switch in Rate Their Chances with a large analysis, people have begun feeling somewhat optimistic of his chances now. How times have changed for the better. It feels like my research is paying off! :)
Laugh at you, in the Smash Ballot I voted Roy/Sora/Cloud.
Roy was brought back.
Cloud happened.
Will I manage to get a Bingo this game?

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Chunky Kong slams the ground and makes a rain of bananas, I swear!

Wait a moment, I just realized @TheLastJinjo is SaturnGamer!
Holy crap, lol.

I thought you were banned forever, it's cool that you are back again.
I wonder if Louie G. is here too with a different name lol.
W-wait wat?

That's some insane character development going on there.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Hm...it's always the long, negative comments that get to me and make me think. This is the one I got so far. What do you think? I'm asking because I want a second opinion.

"I really disagree with your list:

-For returning characters I personally see all of them returning. Dark Pit could potentially have new weapons to use and Dr Mario is a veteran. However Lucina I think will get cut and will be integrated into Robin's Final Smash. Meanwhile Wolf could return but I could see it happen both ways. Ice Climbers I'm confident. Snake however will not return, Kojima left Konami and he was the only reason why Snake was in smash because of his friendship with Sakurai, also he was hard to implement because of his mature style of fighting, honestly I see Simon Belmont or Bomberman having a higher chance.

-Daisy and Waluigi will not be in Smash. They don't have much going for them and I feel it over sursaturantes the roster. Besides Toad/Captain Toad every important Mario series character is already in. -I doubt Celica will get in because she has nothing special they could use for moves, also it feels weird to include her without Alm. Also Sakurai said he already considered the series to be over represented. And since the next game is still not close to release I'm pretty confident that we won't get any new Fire Emblem characters in the base roster.

-I don't think Impa will be in. The last we saw her was in Breath of the Wild but as an old lady which I doubt they would use her. While she is a recurring character because Hyrule Warriors is not main series and the fact that Skyward Sword and Ocarina of time is not fresh, makes me doubt she would get in. Meanwhile I think that they only have recurring Zelda characters in Smash so stuff like Skull Kid, Impa, Zant, Girahim and the 4 Champions won't be in. For now I think Tingle is morel likely due to Majoras Mask 3D and Wind Waker HD but even then it's debatable. So in short I think they will either add Tingle or no one else at all for now.

-I have no objections to Ridley. I personally doubt he would get in though Sakurai has on occasion changed his mind and maybe it could work though I doubt it.

-No Excitebiker will definitely not be in. There's nothing he can use for moves he's just on a bike.

-I don't see Springman in because I don't feel they can easily find good moves for him. Also the series might never continue in the future.

-Rythm Heaven isn't doing well so I'm doubtful.

-The only reason i don't think we would get a Dragon Quest character is that none of them really stood out."

Show less
I mostly agree except:
  • There's no way Lucina's going anywhere if they have time, she's great for beginners
  • Dark Pit doesn't need new weapons to be more different
  • Spring Man might get in later
  • Rhythm Heaven is still possible

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Sometimes I wonder why I even bother to come to this thread. It's almost like everyone just wants to talk about potential newcomers, and don't discuss anything else.

I've tried to bring up something different on more than one occasion, but it just feels like the topic is falling on deaf ears by all the newcomer speculation that pops up.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Unless I'm missing something that tweet doesn't specify he will be in the direct....just that Smash will reveal new info. I really hope he's in the direct though I love seeing him <3
Maybe it will be like that Smash Direct from April 2014 where Sakurai is presenting the game.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I would be unironically mad.
Out of 812 pokemon we still get someone from the first 151 for the seventh time.

Laugh at you, in the Smash Ballot I voted Roy/Sora/Cloud.
Roy was brought back.
Cloud happened.
Will I manage to get a Bingo this game?
Wait, I'm pretty sure Roy was confirmed before the Ballot was even a thing. Did you just vote for him anyway for the sake of 3 Roys? Lol

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
Sometimes I wonder why I even bother to come to this thread. It's almost like everyone just wants to talk about potential newcomers, and don't discuss anything else.

I've tried to bring up something different on more than one occasion, but it just feels like the topic is falling on deaf ears by all the newcomer speculation that pops up.
Aw, I'm sorry. Character speculation is just the most exciting part to me. I'm the type of person that will eat pizza every day just cause it's my favorite...and I used to lol

What would you rather talk about?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

>Why do people speculate newcomers likely the biggest and hypest **** in Smash
>Less than a week before E3
>Why?
It's not really rocket science, people are just too hyped to play scenario for their favorite characters in their head, you can't be mad at them for that.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717

Yea, let's freshen it up a bit.

What new items does everyone want to see?

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Chunky Kong slams the ground and makes a rain of bananas, I swear!

Wait a moment, I just realized @TheLastJinjo is SaturnGamer!
Holy crap, lol.

I thought you were banned forever, it's cool that you are back again.
I wonder if Louie G. is here too with a different name lol.
I ****ing knew it lol! The way he talked felt eerily similar, so I had a feeling. And here I thought his attitude back in 2013 was just a phase he was going through as a teenager. :v

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom