• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperSmashLover

Smash Cadet
Except he's never insisted it's real, he's explicitly stated it's his opinion.
My comment may have gotten lost on a previous page.
Basically what's going on is he says his source is a middleman between him and a guy from Microsoft. So either the middleman is lying, or the middleman is being fooled assuming papageno is being genuine.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Papagenos is a good guy. But you know how you lot feel about him is how other communities feel about their "insiders" that you guys rip on and dismiss.

Some tolerance all around might not be such a bad thing.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
But he also kinda said that he's trying to grow a user base to watch his videos about leaks but Smash Ultimate is going to be the last Smash for a while... doesn't add up.
You realize they'll probably add DLC for like 1-2 years after the game releases, right?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Papagenos is a good guy. But you know how you lot feel about him is how other communities feel about their "insiders" that you guys rip on and dismiss.

It's not the intolerance of his ''inside" information, but rather the fact that his character is being attacked. A lot of users myself and you included have been around him long enough to know his character and know what he's truly like.

It's like when your friend gets attacked, y'know? That kind of deal. At least I think that's the majority of the vibe I'm getting here and not just ''HE SAYS SOMETHING I LIKE. THUS RAWR ATTACK!"

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
My comment may have gotten lost on a previous page.
Basically what's going on is he says his source is a middleman between him and a guy from Microsoft. So either the middleman is lying, or the middleman is being fooled assuming papageno is being genuine.
Yes I realize that. But he never said the leak being true is objective truth, he said that's his opinion.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
I like this statement. I'll say this: We're better than this. Lets leave it at that.
We seem to be disregarding DLC during all of this discussion. So here are some DLC questions:
  • Who do you want to see as DLC?
  • Who do you think is likely as DLC?
  • How do you think DLC will be structured?
  • Do you think they'll host another ballot?
  • How would your character work as DLC?
  • Who do you think the first DLC character will be? What about the second? The third?
  • How many characters total do you think we'll get? How long do you think the game will be supported?
  • What about DLC stages, music, items, and modes?
  • Will Mii Costumes return? If so, will we get new ones?
Here are some other prompts:
  • Who do you think will be high tier in this game?
  • Similarly, who do you think will be high tier from the newcomers?
  • Come up with a trailer for your most-wanted character
  • Literally anything other than the Grinch Leak or Box Theory
As far as tiers go, I’m excited to try Falcon out with the dash dancing and untechable meteor smashes. I’m also really excited to try out Puff with its reduced lag to its aerials. Most of all, can’t wait to try Ness. H just seems so fun now. Down Smash is such a great move this game, up smash as a kill move is great. New Up Air is actually pretty fun and can kill earlier than his old one in the right circumstances.

Tier wise, I think Falcon will be viable again and just like with Smash 4, I feel Ness will struggle with the top tiers but get some pretty decent results regardless of that. Puff is he big question for me.

andres22

Smash Cadet
Mod edit: Stop posting the disturbing Steve? images/videos.

lmao

Last edited by a moderator:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Every time I look at King K. Rool, I think about that eye.

I mean, just look at that! How does one live with an eye like that...

He just looks...deranged. Fitting, and accurate.

Last edited:

doomedtacox

Smash Ace

And if we went onto those other communities and ripped on them, we'd get banned.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
oh yeah true. didn't realize that was my mistake.

i wish mods also take action on the people who provoked me rather than mods only banning me
Don't start taking the victim road when you literally just came here to yell about how papageno is actually just trying to trick the entire community for the sweet views (and as a villain), which is literally a baseless accusation/provocation

At least the other people are making sensical criticisms like maybe the dude isnt very credible or that he could be being tricked.

There's being skeptical then there's being a conspiracy theorist

StarLight42

Smash Lord
All this **** about Steve being the evil mastermind behind box theory with Incineroar as his henchmen kinda makes me feel bad for supporting him.

I just liked Minecraft and I think Steve would be a great fit for Smash.

I'd certainly take him any day over the red fire cat.

Last edited by a moderator:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
But realistically papageno seems like a nice guy and all... But he basically gets behind every leak he reports on... Which tells me he's a believer and gullible. It's entirely possible he's being fooled.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511

it took twenty years
but we're finally here
we will soon finally get to see kirby with a severe eye infection

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Yes it does.
At minimum, on Dec. 7th.
But likely way before that.
In before the real slowing down is waiting until December 6th for a 50-fact extravaganza where the 7 banner characters, 2 rumored characters, 1 DLC character, stages, assists, trophies, and the secret mode is revealed.

This place would be in flames all throughout November.

Of course I'm not being serious

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
But realistically papageno seems like a nice guy and all... But he basically gets behind every leak he reports on... Which tells me he's a believer and gullible. It's entirely possible he's being fooled.
One could make the argument that he actually does not get behind every leak. He makes videos to comment on nearly any decent one, but he rarely believes any, and will actually remove any thumbnail that has likely characters if he does believe it is true.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
Except he doesn't get behind every one? Have you watched any of his videos?

He also mainly makes videos on the "more credible" leaks. If you want gullible go check out LaxChris.

Chrono.

It makes me wanna poke it with a tiny needle.

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Oof-
I dunno if it's NDA but Grant usually come as genuine about those things...

We've known for a while that Kirkhope has no involvement with the game, and I'm surprised it wasn't immediately brought up, as it's a big strike against Banjo. Kirkhope not coming in for K. Rool's music is one thing, since there are a lot of other DK games without his music and DK was in the series long before K. Rool was, but to have Banjo in the game with no Kirkhope compositions would be absurd. If Grant isn't involved with the game, then I don't think Banjo is in.

It's not worth giving the guy your (You)s. Let's focus on something important: Which smash character would make the best tour guide?
Isabelle, easily. Though, I'd prefer Cloud so I could annoy him with my Kingdom Hearts/Sora in Smash questions.

Androobie

Banned via Warnings

It is impossible to say how first the idea entered my brain; but once conceived, it haunted me day and night. Object there was none. Passion there was none. I loved the old king. He had never wronged me. He had never given me insult. For his gold I had no desire. I think it was his eye! Yes, it was this! He had the eye of a vulture, a pale red eye, with a film over it. Whenever it fell upon me, my blood ran cold; and so by degrees, very gradually, I made up my mind to take the life of the old king, and thus rid myself of the eye forever.

im sorry i had too

bountyhunta87

Smash Cadet
I no artist or anything but can someone explain Isaac's pose?
His legs seem kinda wierd to me. Is he like kneeling or what?

ZeldaPlayer87

Smash Journeyman
PapaGenos said it’s a source we’d automatically believe too. So either it’s someone internal with Bamco or Nintendo, or what if his source is actually the leaker himself?

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Reposting this from the Isaac thread:

So, I've been thinking about the Grinch leak for a while, and I'd like to break down and analyze some of it.

First, though, I would like to cut down on some of the flaws of the pro-Grinch argument:
he's thinking 47 steps ahead and knows that both Bandai-Namco and Universal studios contract the same obscure French marketing company.
We don't know that this is true. There is, as yet, no confirmation that this company contracts with either Bandai-Namco or Universal Studios, let alone both. While the company he worked for a year ago did contract with Bandai-Namco, the one he currently works for may or may not. Also, this argument fails to consider that Bandai-Namco would not be handling publicity, Nintendo would, since they are the publisher.

Now, as we get to the rest of it, we need to approach the leak logically. Following Occam's Razor, let's simplify things as much as possible. What must be faked in order to pull of this leak?

The answer is actually ridiculously simple. The only thing that needs to be faked is the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate material. Everything else can be genuine. The leak could actually have been created by someone who works for a publicity company and makes these sorts of promotional materials. The material for The Grinch could all be genuine, as could his work history with the company. As the meme says "anyone can make a fake leak". Even a publicist. There does not need to be any identity theft or identity fraud for this to be faked. Not even the Snapchat aspect of it was necessarily faked. It could have been something that he sent a friend via Snapchat, never meaning for it to go further and his name to be revealed (though that would mean all of this was created to fool one or two people, which does seem rather farfetched).

The only things that needed to be faked were the actual Super Smash Bros. Ultimate materials. So, let's look at them for a second.

Leak 2.png

This is the image that has received the most attention, specifically the multi panel image in the middle. This image, apparently depicting a version of the Battlefield background used in the Mural but with the characters removed, has been reviewed in detail by a number of artists and digital arts enthusiasts, most notably ArtsyOmni, whose video on the subject can be found here.

I, however, am not an enthusiast or expert in digital art manipulation, nor of artistic techniques or analysis. So I will leave that to those who are.

Instead, I will focus on other, less analyzed aspects of the leaked materials, which I do have experience with.

Beneath the "LOL" emoji is what appears to be a set of display instructions for a circular hanging display. The display would contain the mural, wrapped into a circle (taking advantage of the fact that the mural's edges merge seamlessly), and suspended from four lines that converge at a single hanging point. This makes it clear that this is a display to be hung from the ceiling, and that the mural image would go on the outside of it.

Now, here is where things get interesting. It has been pointed out by some that the Mural image on this hanging display is not properly scaled, and that the mural would not fit on the display as shown. Whomever has made such an argument is an individual whom I can only assume has never had to set up a retail display, or at least, never actually looked at the instructions for doing so. Because, as someone who has set up dozens, and reviewed the instructions for probably hundreds over the course of seven years work in retail, I can assure you that the instructions for those displays are NEVER properly scaled. Or properly clipped. Or properly angled. Or properly sized. Or properly representative of the space you actually HAVE on a display to put the items they're telling you will fit there. Or-

Ahem. Apologies. Anyway, the point is, the instruction pages that come with display materials are designed to show you how to assemble them, how to display them, and what to put where. They are never artistically accurate. Literally, NEVER. The only ones I have seen which are accurate in terms of visuals are ones which are simply pictures taken of already assembled displays (which are inferior for the purposes of showing how to assemble such displays to the simple line drawings with cutouts).

The reasoning for the art being off is actually very simple: It's nothing but a placeholder, and it's only purpose is to convey to you what side should face out, or to help confirm which piece you're looking for. Frequently (though not always), if the item being displayed is a book, magazine, or game (anything with a definitive "front") the picture will be skipped entirely, and instead replaced with a simple display of the title in block text. The images which do show up are usually minimal effort. Low quality images, taken from a camera, badly shoved into place, and then clipped to fit the block lines. Sometimes they will be perspective shifted to match the angle of the display. Sometimes not. Sometimes they'll be perspective shifted to NOT match at all (which can be really infuriating to see from someone with mild OCD about clean displays).

Scrolling down, we then see the three panel display. It has been said that these are for a light box display, and that would explain the low quality and color shifting of the art. I do not disagree or argue the point that a light box display would need to be altered in such a way. From personal experience, it would, though I cannot say what the result would be. However, I would argue that the image in question is simply too small to be used effectively for such a purpose. The light box displays I've worked with in the past are frequently quite large, and this one is roughly the size of a single sheet of paper for a three panel display. No. In actuality, this is another page of display instructions. While it is probably display instructions for such a light box, its purpose is merely to highlight which panel goes in which part of the display, to assure that the panels are in order and properly displayed.

And before you ask, the answer is yes. Such instructions do indeed assume that you are a moron who cannot tell which parts of a continuous display image go where just from looking at them.

Below that, we have further block diagrams, including some empty boxes which could be filled with instructions, more photos, or information specific to a particular store or outlet as this material is distributed.

So this entire image is actually a picture of display instructions for promotional material, rather than promotional material itself.
Leak 1.png

This image, on the other hand, which I have yet to see be artistically analyzed at all, is itself promotional material.

It's a packaged display of a circular item. It has been assumed to be a wristband. While that is possible, I'd actually assume that it is the circular hanging display alluded to in the previous instructions. Edited for correction: I agree it is likely a wristband, both due to the size and the taper at the end, which I had not noted before. You can also see a faint outline of those same hanging instructions in this image, above the banner, that looks as though it's being shown through a blank sheet of paper.

This material also looks incredibly professionally produced, containing packaging and what looks to be card stock or other similar high quality materials.

So, after reviewing these images, the only conclusion I can come to is that this is 100% genuine. Artistic anomalies in the instructions are expected. In fact, I would be honestly shocked if they were not there. This gentleman's role in the company is likely either review of materials, or assembly of the instructions themselves. The images used were likely taken by a worker at this company, on a low quality camera, and jumbled and edited into place to fit the lines and serve their bare purpose of being a placeholder (they were almost assuredly NOT provided by Nintendo). Any artistic analysis of those pieces is utterly irrelevant to the validity of the leak.

Last edited:

Astroworld

Smash Apprentice
Why do people keep saying Mach Rider is female? His melee trophy refers to him as a man.

I know there’s the image of that chick standing next to the bike but they never said that was supposed to be who’s under the helmet. It’s probably just some random sideline cheerleading chick they have at races

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
It's not worth giving the guy your (You)s. Let's focus on something important: Which smash character would make the best tour guide?
:ultdaisy:

And not because that's my default answer to everything.

"HI I'M DAISY, and I'll be your TOUR GUIDE."

...And over HERE, you have the ORIGINAL BATTLEFIELD FROM SMASH 64! HA-HA-HAAAA!!"

She'd keep you from falling asleep at even the most boring segments.

pholtos

Smash Journeyman
I no artist or anything but can someone explain Isaac's pose?
His legs seem kinda wierd to me. Is he like kneeling or what?
Knealing with left knee on ground, right arm over right knee towards plants below. Something along that line.

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
I think it's been like that for almost 2 weeks now. People thought it was a sign of a direct coming, but it never happened.

Yeah, that was no hint, much like the chairs weren't.
WRONG! There were chairs in the room behind Sakurai in the Direct, then the next character revealed was a character who had a whole game about home decorating!

coincidenceithinknot.jpg

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
PapaGenos said it’s a source we’d automatically believe too. So either it’s someone internal with Bamco or Nintendo, or what if his source is actually the leaker himself?
We have no idea so I don't think there's any point speculating. All we know is that the "source" knows a "Microsoft source".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom