• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash throwing a turnip UP after Dair

LanceStern

Smash Lord
Have you guys ever tried smash throwing the turnip UP out of low/mid percent float dair combos? It's remarkable:
Dair -> maybe second dair -> Smash throw turnip up -> follow up with just about anything.

They have two - three options after you throw the turnip up:
1. Get hit by the turnip - If this happens, you can follow which way they fall and either grab them or follow up with an aerial or even the uair string
2. Airdodge - If this happens, you can follow up with an aerial, and they will get hit
3. Jump and airdodge away - Only some characters can do this, and if this happens you're no worse off then you were before. And now you have them in the air.

For such a lack of peach combos after 40%, it works well. Again SDI gets out of a dair, but that's not the focus.

P.S ~ You could also jump and neutral throw the turnip. That's fun too and gets the same response

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
I love this. <3 I do Dair > Throw > U tilt A LOT It's amazing, does like... 34%? Something like that. I use this when I get a stitch face a lot too.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
I do this accidently if I'm trying to Uair after a Dair only to realise I have a Turnip in my hands lol

Doesn't work at higher percents because of the Dair sends the opponent at a slight angle and Peach can't move fast enough to throw the Turnip up to catch them

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
If you do this by the edge and then Footstool, Snake has no choice but to Cypher into your grab.

Thibault

Smash Apprentice
wow.... this is like the oldest thing ive been doing.... its best used with turnips that you dont want to waste... like stitchfaces. I will shorthop float dair and then throw it up while pushing forward, it never misses like really.. also groundfloated fair to bomb glidetoss is a legit combo :)

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
wow.... this is like the oldest thing ive been doing.... its best used with turnips that you dont want to waste... like stitchfaces. I will shorthop float dair and then throw it up while pushing forward, it never misses like really.. also groundfloated fair to bomb glidetoss is a legit combo :)
o.O You sir, are amazing. The oldest thing I've been doing is walking. Then I figured out how to dash. ^^

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
There's a better combo though that's actually guaranteed though.

It's Excel_Zero's combo. Float dair, to double jump turnip dthrow to airdodge catch insta throw downwards into nair.

Your ideas aren't bad though there is a couple problems.

One being that if someone doesn't DI dair or DI's above you then the uair string is clearly the best option. There's just no question about it. Another is that you won't ever land two dairs in a row or it just should not happen because people DI.

Hmm...there's also a better combo too. If you just dair into double hit nair into turnip throw + jab or dash atk then that's a ton more damage already and it's very easy to pull off. Well at least the dair to nair to turnip. idk if the turnip is guaranteed though but if they shield it u can follow up with more aerial bs or u just reset the spacing back to neutral.

LanceStern

Smash Lord
I like to use this diar -> smash upthrow turnip because it works to bait out airdodges or punish at > 50% and < 70% whereas other dair cobos get DI'd out of at almost over 20%...

I just like the flashiness

LanceStern

Smash Lord
Guys I've been doing this some more and it's pretty nasty.

Against heavies, if you're fast enough you can do an uair string out of it
Against lightweights, anywhere from 25 - 60% I'm finding either a guaranteed nair or ever better FH uair if they airdodge the turnip.. if they eat it well they will get punished harder.

It's really nice. But I'm wondering can they just jump and airdodge away if they buffer it? Anyway someone can test that?

To be honest, that's the WORST case scenario -> we reset the situation only they are in the air and we are on the ground. We can harass them with float-released uair and nairs. Any other option they choose will get them hit

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
Dair > Double Jump IZAC Nair registers as 6 consecutive hits in Practice mode, the turnip even hits before the Nair. You can do any aerial, but Uair is pretty hard. Dair > Double Jump > Smash Forward Throw > Nair/Uair/Fair might not be too horrible... I just messed around with this a little, though. I also managed to do Dair > Double Jump IZAC Uair > Smash Up Throw It did a ton of damage too, like 50% or so. I was trying this on 25% Zelda. They look really flash, but can probably be DI'd or AD'd out of really easy. The IZAC Uair looks like it might be viable at least, though. Actually, all probably completely useless. xD

@ Kazmakazi Does that only work on tall characters? I've been trying to get it to work on medium heights and just can't seem to get the Nair out in time. :3 Is there a video?

Edit: LOL nvm, thats super easy. xD I didn't know it worked like the SHDT, thought you had to wait before the insta-throw. :/

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
Guys I've been doing this some more and it's pretty nasty.

Against heavies, if you're fast enough you can do an uair string out of it
Against lightweights, anywhere from 25 - 60% I'm finding either a guaranteed nair or ever better FH uair if they airdodge the turnip.. if they eat it well they will get punished harder.

It's really nice. But I'm wondering can they just jump and airdodge away if they buffer it? Anyway someone can test that?

To be honest, that's the WORST case scenario -> we reset the situation only they are in the air and we are on the ground. We can harass them with float-released uair and nairs. Any other option they choose will get them hit
the thing is is that while it may be possible to jump/airdodge away a lot of the people I play SDI out to the sides or SDI downwards or just normally DI the last hit of dair sideways because they don't want to be anywhere near Peach.

It'd be pretty practical for us to figure out setups to possibly catch them in and help us pour on the pressure before they hit the ground. A lot of the time combos just don't happen so we gotta think about this. Liiike if they don't SDI they're in the air and we got this haha and if they sdi sideways then it just means they're closer to the edge. we need ideas @_@

LanceStern

Smash Lord
the thing is is that while it may be possible to jump/airdodge away a lot of the people I play SDI out to the sides or SDI downwards or just normally DI the last hit of dair sideways because they don't want to be anywhere near Peach.

It'd be pretty practical for us to figure out setups to possibly catch them in and help us pour on the pressure before they hit the ground. A lot of the time combos just don't happen so we gotta think about this. Liiike if they don't SDI they're in the air and we got this haha and if they sdi sideways then it just means they're closer to the edge. we need ideas @_@

I kind of think of those. Here are some other scenarios:

1. If you see them SDI'ing up and away from the range of a turnip thrown up, then instead buffer a jump to regular thrown turnip. It should just slide off your finger. Peach will toss the turnip in front of her and hit the opponent with the turnip, which COULD lead to a fair.

2. If you see them sdi'ing down to the ground or behind you (that can happen a lot too), then cut the number of dairs short. You can fall to the ground with them and just regular throw the turnip either in front or behind you while falling to hit them.

It's all reading and reacting. But like I said I'm more of an aggressive peach so I like to be up in the face trying stuff. Case in point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJa4SiXSEwU (this one is the smash throw up -> uair string) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnDvBOKPpQ8

sure it's a computer, but still it's you just have to read the SDI

Top Bottom