• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Theory 4: Doubles

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Rush Hour Smash, a Youtube channel ran by Keitaro and False, has released it's fourth video in the Smash Theory series. The first video covered the neutral game, the second video covered zoning, and the third covered Reads. Their newest Smash Theory video covers some of the basic strategies of doubles play and how to work with your partner or within a two on one situation to make the best of a doubles situation.

Hopefully this video will help players up their game in team battles and make doubles play all that more exciting! To stay up to date on Smash Theory videos be sure to check out Rush Hour Smash and stay tuned to the front page of Smashboards for more coverage!

SmashCapps has always found himself much better in doubles than in singles. Follow him on Twitter to discuss more doubles strategy and keep up with everything Smash.

Last edited:

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
Wondering if Triples or even Quadruples will become a thing with 8-Player Smash now. How hectic might that be?

Pickledpotatoes

Smash Journeyman
Doubles is super cool and fun and needs more attention. Singles is great and everything, but doubles really needs more showcase in the community

Kamui Nohr

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand why they leave Team Attack on, but I really like how much this video has covered most things about Doubles matches that make them more exciting than 1v1s. Keep up the helpful news!

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965
I don't understand why they leave Team Attack on, but I really like how much this video has covered most things about Doubles matches that make them more exciting than 1v1s. Keep up the helpful news!
To prevent people from mindlessly throwing out attacks or projectiles spamming. Having team attack on adds a lot to the match since you need to be mindful of your partner's position when attacking. It also allows you to do things you couldn't do otherwise such as saving your partner who is in trouble offstage or character specific options like absorbing your partner's powers as Kirby, filling Game and Watch's bucket, healing Ness, etc... Go play doubles in for glory and you will quickly see why team attack is on in a competitive setting lol.

TimeChain

Smash Apprentice
NNID
777brawlfan
3DS FC
4484-9816-4641
Dat Primal Dialga remix :D
Keep 'em comin Rush Hour Smash! These are sweet :)

WwwWario

Smash Ace
Beautiful. Something I've wondered about: Why exactly is team-attack on? Yes, a nooby question xD I'm kinda new to the doubles competitively. Is it because it can, as shown here, lead to strategies since you can damage your teammate?

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
You and your partner will have to sit down and fiend for hours in order to be in sync like that.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
Dat Primal Dialga remix :D
Dat Pokemon Mystery Dungeon music.
heh, PokéRemixStudio's finest track, no less!

Beautiful. Something I've wondered about: Why exactly is team-attack on? Yes, a nooby question xD I'm kinda new to the doubles competitively. Is it because it can, as shown here, lead to strategies since you can damage your teammate?
not just that, but by turning on friendly fire, teammates can't just cheese the competition and throw Smash attacks back to back with each other and expect to win. if you intend on hitting your partner, it's generally for a good reason.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Team attack is on due to the fact it makes teams more deep then one player spam projectiles the othe ruse the projectiles hitbox to aproach.
And it adds tons of depth, you can use bucketstrategies with G&W, heal Ness, save someone flying away, hit your teammate so they fly closer to the opponent to get the kill. Only the imagination is the limit there.

Jaimy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jaimy_18
3DS FC
5086-3025-4977
Yes, you're right. The main advantage is that it can lead to a plethora of new strategies which are impossible to perform without friendly fire on. A more detailed answer to your question is already given in post #15 by D3RK.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Team attack is on because 0-to-death jab locks, wombo combos and projectile walls are possible and braindead and unpunishable. By turning team attack on, it forces the teammates to think in how to defeat their opponents and also don't kill each other. It makes the fights more tense and interesting.

Last edited:

Smearglangelo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UltraKoopaTroopa
3DS FC
4124-5097-9262
I'm surprised that doubles aren't as popular as singles.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
It's amazing how much effort is put into every one of these videos!

misterOWAIN33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MR_FA1L
3DS FC
2294-5361-2433
This thread had me at "Double Self-Destruct".
Wondering if Triples or even Quadruples will become a thing with 8-Player Smash now. How hectic might that be?
I posted a thread posing that question.
It isn't worth looking for...
To answer your question,
I've always wanted Temple to be tourney legal...

Last edited:

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141
I'm surprised that doubles aren't as popular as singles.
I think its because to be good at doubles, you have to be awesome at 1v1, and be able to make crazy combos on the fly w/o killing ur teammate. Basically, its harder.

Atm0s

Smash Cadet
NNID
GreenStarMario
3DS FC
1075-0882-2177
These videos are really informative. They helped my neutral game a LOT.

Mr.ケイ

Smash Apprentice
They are already happening. Rarely, but they do.
I'd like to see triples and quadruples more often. I enjoy watching and playing doubles more then singles as it is, and what little I've seen of quadruples looks fun...I need to get more friends!

Top Bottom