• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

smash side affects

chu12ch

Smash Journeyman
whenever i see someone get hit i always say "f-tilted" or "f-smashed" depending on the severity of the hit...

I've also wanted to wobble people too...

goateeguy

Smash Ace
No it most certainly isn't. I have played that game hard-core and it is actually a very deep fighting engine; it is just eclipsed by the DBZ universe. I could care less about DBZ, but that game is very well done.
its a button-masher when my friend kicks my sorry butt when hes not even trying to. Maybe hard-core there's some skill involved, but where? Anyway, im tired of being whooped at it, could u link me to some vids?

Perfect Hero

Smash Apprentice
its a button-masher when my friend kicks my sorry butt when hes not even trying to. Maybe hard-core there's some skill involved, but where? Anyway, im tired of being whooped at it, could u link me to some vids?
I too am curious, can you please link to HL videos or provide some background on the game mechanics? Saying such a statement without any basis isn't the best way to defend your game. . .

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
It's not quite a button masher, given the heavy lag between attacks, but it definitely feels really simple. In my opinion, too much emphasis is given to the special attack button combinations.

My friend once ran up to me and exclaimed "DUDE! I CAN WAVEDASH IN REAL LIFE!"

goateeguy

Smash Ace
the special attack combinations are pretty fun non-hardcore. whenever my friend tries to do some super huge super slow 1-hit KO death thingamabober, i (Frieza, form 1) do this simple, pathetic little beam, hit him, stop the gigantic useless combo, force him to charge up energy again, and annoy him half to death. that's the only thing im good at there. The reason i say it's a button-masher is because when u start getting comboed physically, ur sheild breaks way too easily and u get pummeled half a mile away before u can do anything again.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Thank god you were kidding... lol

I sometimes punch people in the face and then tell them to show me their moves.. i've lost a lot of friends lately too

Kerocola

Smash Apprentice
A current side effect I'm having is playing another game after SSBM. I play Fox, so I move around a lot(part showing off, part serious), so when I go to play another game I feel like I need to move quicker and all the controls feel so...simple. I catch a few wavedash attemps, too, after the first 5 minutes of play it goes away.

I guess that's why I got kicked off the baseball team. Seeing the bats lying around apparently doesn't mean run up to them and bash people with them and saying "Come on!".
Whoops.

c.falcon run

Smash Rookie
lol i was playing star wars once, and we have this stupid rulethat you can't use your light saber, and my friend used his 'so i yelled "you smshed with the beam soard"

true story

Silhouette

Smash Lord
i find dbz to be a button masher because my friend discovered a move of vegetas that takes like one energy bar and is pretty mutch undodgeable, he always uses a gamecube controler and spams the simple button combination to beat me.
that and some characters are very overpowered.

my friends kept telling me that the newest naruto game was just like melee, well its not but i see why they said that. during the game i kept trying to dodgeroll, tech, wavedash, and SHFFL attacks

Garath331

Smash Apprentice
When I get to the top of a long flight of stairs, I want to upB and ride my umbrella all the way down.

HideousBeing

Smash Ace
This is more of another game's incorporation into smash. If anyone has played DOTA on WarCraft III, you'll get this. When I am the first one to deal damage in a match, I bellow, "FIRST BLOOD!!!"

TURF

Smash Cadet
i was bored the other day and started reading my toothpaste and in the corner it said American Dental Association (ADA) all i could think of was falco/falcons Dairs spiking a tube of aquafresh.

Nihility

Smash Journeyman
Sometimes I'll catch myself trying to short hop in other games, but that's usually about the extent of it.

I also now own at rock paper scissors.

Nothing beats the rock.

Nothing.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
I try to wavedash up inclines in real life. Also, I try to wavedash away, any time somebody tries to hit me. I think I tried to double jump once.

Yes, smash affects the way I think in my day to day life...well, not anymore, just when I first got really into it.

Big Burn

Smash Lord
i have joked about l canceling in real life, but i can't honestly say that i have ever actually tried smash techniques in real life.... lol sounds like a real problem

TrageÐy ®

Smash Cadet
I was playing soul calibur and tried to wavedash O.o

I was playing tennis and tried to L Cancel a volley at me lol

TURF

Smash Cadet
the more i play the more stuff like this happens to me. i was playing soul calibur 3 and kept trying to tech roll. and in call of duty 2 if you jump and crouch you kind of fastfall into a sort of wavedash. i eluded many foes today with that technique. i felt like falco in a world war 2 game. im sorry ive posted here like 3 times, lol i feel like my life sucks cuz of it.

AtomICON

Smash Apprentice
I reference to teching and the like in normal conversation to my friends such as "I totally 4 stocked that test" or like. "i slipped on ice walking over here but I tech'd"

Also, in almost ever single game I ever play now I try to l cancel and tech. It's really annoying. I tried to L cancel in 3rd strike. Also I almost taught Rest to one of my pokemon thinking it would be like an instant death move.

strider43

Smash Journeyman
Ok so here's my story. I go up to my huge group of friends (btw they aren't so good at smash, they think kirbi is the best ever -.-'') I get into the middle of them and say this...

"Dude I swear to god if you pick someone crappy like Ganondorf or link or even peach because she's gay then ill just get my fox, wait until you do something stupid so i could come up to you ---> shine, Wavedash and just be like 'HIYAAA!!!' and then all of a sudden you're all like 'Dude wtf were did my life go?' and im gon be like 'Waveshine *HIYAAAA!*' And you be like 'Wtf dude my lives' and all of a sudden you gonna hear 'THIS GAMES WINNER IS.... FOX!' and IM gon be like 'HIYAAA!!!!!!!!"

Maybe i should stop playing smash... *catches on fire, blasts away*

cyberdemon

Smash Journeyman
I have found myself trying to DI in marvel vs capcom 2 and other fighting games. Nothing in real life, tough.

strider43: you have the link to my combo video on your sig..Thanks dude

HideousBeing

Smash Ace
Also, in almost ever single game I ever play now I try to l cancel and tech. It's really annoying. I tried to L cancel in 3rd strike. Also I almost taught Rest to one of my pokemon thinking it would be like an instant death move.
Totally the case with me. I have played nothing but smash for a long time, and when I play paper mario: thousand year door, I keep trying to WD and spot dodge. I even -this is crazy- tried dodge rolling on Double Dash. LOL! :laugh:

Root

Smash Rookie
I was describing my breakup with my girlfriend recently, and described it as "four stocking me with a low tier".

salostryker

Smash Rookie
How's this for Smash affecting your life. A couple of days ago, I had a dream that DM was hopping in this supermarket parking lot close to my house. Then he started shuffling Fairs toward my house. What can I say?
And, during this lecture class this year, I spaced out for almost the entire class period thinking about combos with Jiggs and Ness. Not that it mattered. That class would have 4 stocked me anyway. Lolz

strider43

Smash Journeyman
I've recently been playing Capt. Falcon, and each time at the beginning of each match I jump up and do the falcon punch, trying to do the SHL.

Elen

Smash Lord
My friend once accidentally asked for "smashed potatoes" at a restaurant instead of mashed >.> We all cracked up in public, it was too good.

Spacecadet

Smash Cadet
This has happened to me with smash and another game. The smash thing caused me to try and wavedash in halo...needless to say it didn't work. The other was when I had been playing an MMO for a long time, a friend called me and invited me over. So the first thing that went through my head was "/(slash)call mom Where are you?" I laughed very hard, and stopped playing the game for a while.

Oh, I just noticed this, but you have affect and not effect in the title (homophones suck). I don't know if you can change that though.

AtticusFinch

Smash Journeyman
On a number of occasions, I would say "Look on my screen" Instead of "Look over here" lol I always feel so stupid, but no one seems to notice me saying it?

ElChibo

Smash Apprentice
When I watch smash a lot of the time when I see a character hit the ground, my trigger finger (for R button) will twitch like I'm teching, even if I'm not holding a controller (although it's more likely when I'm holding one), and when I'm not even playing!
The worse though is that my wrists hurt a lot and get tense from playing it so much, and I've been getting pains down my right arm thanks to smash. It's gotten bad enough some days where it was hard to play smash.

Top Bottom