• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Series Confessions

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
My first encounter with the series was on a Nintendo 64 at a relative's house. I spammed Thunder Jolt and the A attack as Pikachu at the top of the Great Fox's dorsal since all I knew how to do was move and do that.
I forgot about the series until I rented Brawl from Blockbusters.

It took me a long time to realize how to do "tilt" attacks. I used to perform them accidentally and never when I wanted to. For example, seeing Mario's roundhouse, and trying to do it again only to get the fiery punch Smash attack. Looking at the game manual sure does help sometimes, huh? Still, I found it difficult to reliably do tilt attacks in the heat of battle because it's hard to input analog stick commands quickly without hitting the stick all the way.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
It took me a long time to realize how to do "tilt" attacks. I used to perform them accidentally and never when I wanted to. For example, seeing Mario's roundhouse, and trying to do it again only to get the fiery punch Smash attack. Looking at the game manual sure does help sometimes, huh? Still, I found it difficult to reliably do tilt attacks in the heat of battle because it's hard to input analog stick commands quickly without hitting the stick all the way.
I haven't really had this problem in Brawl, but back in Melee it was a huge issue especially with Up Tilts. That said, in Melee I often found it difficult to do Smashes without the C-stick. It seems like Melee's input timings are tighter and less intuitive than Brawl's, at least to me.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I try to use everyone in a Smash game, but my "mains" if you can call them that are the characters I like most, for whatever reason. But I do try to get accustomed to each character's different playstyle and use them all equally. It's that way for me for Melee, Brawl, and Sm4sh.

D

Deleted member

• I don't use the C-Stick
  • When me and my friend would do matches that were "tests of skill" we would turn on items that took "skill" to use, which included the Super Scope, Beam Sword, and Homerun Bat.

Eisen

Smash Ace
NNID
AndroidPolaris
So way back in 1999 when I made a friend who, for the first time, liked Smash Bros as I did, they informed me of the unlocked characters I didn't have, which I think were Ness and Captain Falcon.

When they said "Ness" I was like, "who the heck is Ness? Is that the Nesquick bunny?" and I was serious. That was my best guess as to who the hell Ness was. Ironically, Ness is one of my favorite Smash characters now.

Foosedogg

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ponyhater123
I play clones more than the initial character and was actually excited for Lucina.

Sakura-chan

Smash Rookie
NNID
Wii-R-Lights
Reggie Fils-Aime's quote from the Smash Invitational somewhat sums me up, but not fully: "I suck at Smash."
I've never played Melee. I can remember seeing others in my family playing it, but I've only played a few matches.
I'm also a casual Smasher.
I've never mistaken Marth for a girl, never played Subspace Emissary, and sometimes prefer to watch CPU matches rather than actually play.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
  • As much as it upsets me to think so, I think Project M is going to die a quiet death in obscurity. Its player base is already dissolving back to vMelee, and Smash 4, I think, will be the final nail in its coffin, once again returning the schism in this fanbase to Melee vs. Not Melee.

JosukeM

Smash Rookie
I'm the kind of person that finishes his games unlocking ALL of its content ... but Boss Battles on Intense difficulty is something that I most likely won't finish at all, it's really frustrating and I think is unfair that europeans can use the Golden Hammer to unlock the trophy and americans can't, also, it's such a big challenge for a crappy reward

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I have still not gotten every single trophy in Brawl or Melee. (As mentioned I have Lucas's, which spoiled M3 for me.)

....I thought the 0^2 remix in Brawl was alright. .___.

ImReallyFeelingIt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sailings
I'm never playing Project M.

I bought Brawl and didn't even know Sonic was in it (despite being a big fan of him, so yeah, I got stoked when I unlocked him)

I prefer playing Special Brawl than normal modes in Brawl.

I hate all Ike users with a passion.

I won't buy a SSB game if Ridley is playable.

I think Shulk and Mega Man are either going to be OP or most used characters online.

(I also liked the remix)

Donkey_Inferno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Donkey_Inferno
3DS FC
4768-7553-7018
I go through classic on the lowest difficulty just so it's a lot easier to fight unlockable characters. I am also a total C-Sticker... And worst of all... I honestly don't understand what the issue is with the C-Stick is...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I liked the song "Calling to the Night". It wasn't a very fight-y song I admit, but it was nice to listen to and if I dare say so, added a "dramatic" edge to fights.

If Snake doesn't even come back as DLC that's one of the many Metal Gear-related things I'll miss :c

I rather like vocal songs in Smash. I kinda want Falcon's theme from F-Zero GX to be in Sm4sh, I was surprised it wasn't in brawl.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
I'm the kind of person that finishes his games unlocking ALL of its content ... but Boss Battles on Intense difficulty is something that I most likely won't finish at all, it's really frustrating and I think is unfair that europeans can use the Golden Hammer to unlock the trophy and americans can't, also, it's such a big challenge for a crappy reward
This for me as well. I already blew a Golden Hammer on the all-stickers one since I didn't feel like sticker-farming or trophy-shooting forever to get everything (I still have only 696 stickers after 6,000+ VS matches played on my disk), but I'll probably never break that Intense Boss Battles one. Incidentally, I have cleared it once as the Ice Climbers... on my friend's Wii. And it took an ungodly number of tries. So yeah, I'm probably not going to bother doing it again, especially considering how long it is since I've played vBrawl.

All this from a guy who got all the trophies in Melee THREE TIMES (yes, that includes three damageless Classic Mode runs). At least getting the random trophies could be practically guaranteed with enough coins (95%+).

Last edited:

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
I actually hated all the Crush 40 music that was in Brawl... until i later listened to the full versions of the songs. I'm now miffed at how short a section of the songs they chose to use in Brawl. It's really a disgrace to Sonic.

Knight of the Wind in Smash 4 please? Also, can we get the Sonic Generations version of Super Sonic Racing? That would be awesome.

VillageofFitness

Smash Apprentice
I sometimes forget that Captain Falcon isn't as OP as he was in SSB, so I find myself spamming his Bs whenever I play as him in the others.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
....I thought the 0^2 remix in Brawl was alright. .___.
There's a remix on Youtube that mashes up both Brawl and original mixes and I like that one soooo much better.
Take it as you will, I prefer this version.

- My Smash Sensei (the guy who introduced me to Smash Bros) can still beat me to this day with Link. Apparently Link is pretty bad so I'm sad about what that says about my skill...

Last edited:

Senario

Smash Ace
  • As much as it upsets me to think so, I think Project M is going to die a quiet death in obscurity. Its player base is already dissolving back to vMelee, and Smash 4, I think, will be the final nail in its coffin, once again returning the schism in this fanbase to Melee vs. Not Melee.
This is very sad as I find project M a fun game. A lot of people who I am friends with and play melee agree that it is a fun game. It isn't super balanced atm, but it is fun and that is what counts the most.

In my opinion people will still play project M (not as much as melee) but mainly due to the fact that the game is getting updated on a fairly regular basis for balance. In general a lot of people also like it because of how so many characters are good (even if some are a bit too good right now). I can't say the same for my character (sheik) since she is pretty bad in PM, but I have Marth so its k. Project M and melee aren't completely seperate scenes as many people who play either are also ok with either. I know I am. It is a superb and fun experience.

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
I never had the problem of thinking Samus was a guy, but when I was little, I thought Link was a girl.

When I got to Master Hand for the very first time ever, I thought he would become playable if I beat him.

SMauler9

Smash Rookie
I kinda want Falcon's theme from F-Zero GX to be in Sm4sh, I was surprised it wasn't in brawl.
Forever he will be my hero.

I was really pissed that GX's Port Town Music wasn't in Brawl, especially since there was a Port Town stage was there. But I guess Green Plant's music was there, if I remember correctly.

tommykittycat

Smash Rookie
NNID
tommykittycat
3DS FC
3823-8531-0161
In melee, when I was a kid, I unlocked Luigi by playing 800 versus matches instead of the easier way of finding him in Adventure Mode if you ended the first stage with a 2 in the seconds digit. I seriously went through with every character in Adventure Mode and never once got that criteria for unlocking him. At that time, it never occurred to me that Luigi was in the game, even though I had played the original Super Smash Bros. Lol

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
In melee, when I was a kid, I unlocked Luigi by playing 800 versus matches instead of the easier way of finding him in Adventure Mode if you ended the first stage with a 2 in the seconds digit. I seriously went through with every character in Adventure Mode and never once got that criteria for unlocking him. At that time, it never occurred to me that Luigi was in the game, even though I had played the original Super Smash Bros. Lol
Cases like Luigi's is why I always look up how to unlock characters in advance.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
- As much as I love to play the Smash Bros series, I enjoy the speculation period of a year+ even more than the game itself. It's because I feel like the game is Nintendo's love letter to itself and its fans and encompasses what Nintendo is at that time period. It's going to be very bittersweet after Saturday, when we know everything. It's this feeling that makes me glad that we only get it once (Or I guess twice in Smash 4's case) per console cycle.

- That said, I liked Brawl's pre-release speculation/confirmations/etc more than SSB4's. I wish that I had been here rather than a myspace group for it. Then again, I'd have probably been banned since I was quite the ruffian back then and reacted very strongly to people saying anything negative.

Lautsuu~

Smash Journeyman
-I really admire Mew2King and how he plays Marth. I hope that someday, I can play Marth as well as he does. I'm an amateur.
-No matter how bad Marth is in Smash 4, I will always main him.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
  • Even though I don't really like his playstyle that much, Smash has made me a huge Game & Watch series fan.
  • Other series I only got into because of Smash: :4falcon::4marth::4olimar::4samus::ness2::snake::4shulk:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I'm never playing Project M.

I bought Brawl and didn't even know Sonic was in it (despite being a big fan of him, so yeah, I got stoked when I unlocked him)

I prefer playing Special Brawl than normal modes in Brawl.

I hate all Ike users with a passion.

I won't buy a SSB game if Ridley is playable.

I think Shulk and Mega Man are either going to be OP or most used characters online.

(I also liked the remix)
Why? That's acting like a sore loser if you don't want him in.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'm a big fan of 'low-tier' characters in Brawl.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Back when I played Project M before my Wii broke my custom music came from everything BUT Nintendo with the grand exception of Metroid music.

And most of said music came from Playstation.

*runs away*

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Back when I played Project M before my Wii broke my custom music came from everything BUT Nintendo with the grand exception of Metroid music.

And most of said music came from Playstation.

*runs away*
You're not alone. I replaced all of P:M's menu themes with PlayStation All-Stars's menu themes, and I used Columbia A on Saffron City, and Polygon Man's theme on Final Destination.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
You're not alone. I replaced all of P:M's menu themes with PlayStation All-Stars's menu themes, and I used Columbia A on Saffron City, and Polygon Man's theme on Final Destination.
If there's anything PSAS got right, it's the music. Ironically, I only used 1 track from it, Dojo B on Saffron.

It's music is sadly outclassed at any rate by most other titles.

Top Bottom