• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Smash Run

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Very excited for this. The stage looks big enough and Metroidvania enough to keep me coming back if there is only one stage. Random enemies help as well.
I wonder if you can decide the match conditions (e.g. set it to stock or time, stock limit, etc.) or if it has a default set up.

SuperSah

Smash Cadet
NNID
SuperSah
3DS FC
4425-2273-6142
This mode is going to ROCK.

It's going to make for some seriously fast-paced matches. I'm 100% sure it'll be an online mode too.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
I think it would be cool to do a Smash Run tournament if this mode is online of course.

Super FOG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FOG2006
3DS FC
4253-3752-2801
Sakurai fullfilled my wish!! This is pure awesomeness!!

I was wanting a City Trial-like mode since the very first time I saw the 3DS version in action! This mode is perfect to explore the advantages of being a handheld game, since a mode like this is only possible with every player with your own screen.

Also, not only City Trial, this mode also brings some Kid Icarus' multiplayer elements in the mix, like the item equipping system on the touchscreen.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Sakurai fullfilled my wish!! This is pure awesomeness!!

I was wanting a City Trial-like mode since the very first time I saw the 3DS version in action! This mode is perfect to explore the advantages of being a handheld game, since a mode like this is only possible with every player with your own screen.

Also, not only City Trial, this mode also brings some Kid Icarus' multiplayer elements in the mix, like the item equipping system on the touchscreen.
Yeah! I noticed the Kid Icarus bit too! This is going to be awesome!

Anyone know if Smash Run is online?

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087
Yeah! I noticed the Kid Icarus bit too! This is going to be awesome!

Anyone know if Smash Run is online?
Not sure, but didn't Sakurai mention something about Smash Run being "different" from traditional online modes? Or am I just imagining things?
If so, then it's probably has online...

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
I gotta say, Smash Run got me more excited than pretty much anything else in this game so far. I've been hoping for cool new game modes since this game was announced, but I never imagined we'd get anything as awesome as City Trial for Smash.

And people want to talk about characters? Pshaw.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
This announcement was one of the highlights of the Direct for me.

While there are a few things I hope they do with this mode that they haven't already announced, I'll try not to dwell on it too much. As what I AM seeing, looks great. I'm going to really enjoy this mode regardless.

Though I do hope that there is more to it than what is described, as the map looks like you could explore all of it in like, 3 to 4 runs (maybe less with a character like Sonic). Also, it would be nice if they gave us an extra map or two as DLC down the line, or better yet, as unlockables.

Also, while the enemies are randomly generated, it seems like there are secret rooms with treasure and such in them. I feel like that even if they are randomised, there will be "optimal routes", which could make the mode repetitive after a while, because everyone will go straight for those secrets. So I'm wondering what kind of systems will be in place to keep things fresh.

Also, he mentioned that "the dungeon is not the place for players to fight each other". So does that mean that players will essentially be in their own dungeon, and what one player does won't effect other players at all? I'd prefer if it was real time myself. Even if we can't attack each other, it would be cool to get into tense races when players all end up in the same room, trying to snag the power-ups before everyone else does.

Also, it seems there will be puzzle/mini-game elements, like Break the Targets sections in order to progress, or beat-em-up segments where you have to clear all of the enemies to progress. I'm wondering how these will effect the lasting appeal of the map. They might serve as obstacles for getting from one area to another, which is most interesting.

I think this is an excellent way of incorporating side-scrolling gameplay into the 3DS version, and I like how they took elements of Subspace Emissary (specifically the Great Maze), and fused it with City Trials to make a brand new competitive mode for Smash.

I also wonder if they will use this map to create a single-player mission mode, like setting up special scenarios and edited layouts for specific characters. I'd really like that.

lami

Smash Journeyman
This announcement was one of the highlights of the Direct for me.

While there are a few things I hope they do with this mode that they haven't already announced, I'll try not to dwell on it too much. As what I AM seeing, looks great. I'm going to really enjoy this mode regardless.

Though I do hope that there is more to it than what is described, as the map looks like you could explore all of it in like, 3 to 4 runs (maybe less with a character like Sonic). Also, it would be nice if they gave us an extra map or two as DLC down the line, or better yet, as unlockables.

Also, while the enemies are randomly generated, it seems like there are secret rooms with treasure and such in them. I feel like that even if they are randomised, there will be "optimal routes", which could make the mode repetitive after a while, because everyone will go straight for those secrets. So I'm wondering what kind of systems will be in place to keep things fresh.

Also, he mentioned that "the dungeon is not the place for players to fight each other". So does that mean that players will essentially be in their own dungeon, and what one player does won't effect other players at all? I'd prefer if it was real time myself. Even if we can't attack each other, it would be cool to get into tense races when players all end up in the same room, trying to snag the power-ups before everyone else does.

Also, it seems there will be puzzle/mini-game elements, like Break the Targets sections in order to progress, or beat-em-up segments where you have to clear all of the enemies to progress. I'm wondering how these will effect the lasting appeal of the map. They might serve as obstacles for getting from one area to another, which is most interesting.

I think this is an excellent way of incorporating side-scrolling gameplay into the 3DS version, and I like how they took elements of Subspace Emissary (specifically the Great Maze), and fused it with City Trials to make a brand new competitive mode for Smash.

I also wonder if they will use this map to create a single-player mission mode, like setting up special scenarios and edited layouts for specific characters. I'd really like that.
I believe he mentioned that they will be running alongside each other, but that won't be the place to fight each other. So possibly you CAN smack your friends around, but don't focus on that because you'll get your chance after the time is up?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
His comment was vague though, and in the footage, I don't believe we saw any instance of fighters being on the same screen within the dungeon area. So it makes me wonder if your opponents will be physically there for you to at least see, or if their position will be represented by an icon. Or, if their presence will be unbeknownst to you and there will be no interaction between players at all, even regarding power-up pick-ups.

Also, I just noticed that the matches you go into aren't always standard matches. Some of them are like Special Brawls (combined with the upgrades you collected), and some actually seem like entirely new things, like races against each other. That will help keep the matches themselves fresh at least, and will take advantage of the different kinds of power ups.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Looks really great, seeing more than just Mario enemies. Loving the Bulborbs, can't wait to punch 'em with Mac, blast 'em with Mega, and try to net them with Villager (They're going in my museum's bug wing. Right next to the Fiery Blowhog)

Oh and Kritters best choice of Nintendo 2014

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
This mode looks really fun. The enemy variety is a big plus. It seems there will also be doors that lead to Break the Targets courses. I wonder what other challenges could be there? Perhaps boss battles?

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
I bet they announced this mode for 3DS in order to give us greater incentive to buy this game in the Summer. Notice how Wii U has had zero additional game content mentioned, but I'm sure that will change shortly after the 3DS launch.

Right, so about the mode! I really love the game it's based on, and it's going to be flat out hilarious attempting to max out all of your characters stats to ridiculous proportions. Can you imagine a damage taken Lucario trying to recover with his speed maxed out? Goodness!

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
This definitely looks like a blast ^^

I made this list of current enemies that have been show off in the direct and the new pics:
EDIT: Added missing enemies. Also @ DakotaBonez DakotaBonez feel free to put this on the OP :3

Subspace
Poppant
Roturret
Mites

Mario/Yoshi
Goomba
Gaint Goomba
Hammer Bro
Magikoopa
Lakitu/Spiny
Shyguy
Bullet Bill
Flame Chomp

DK
Tiki Buzz
Kritter

Zelda
Stalfos

Kirby
T.A.C.
Waddle dee
Parasol waddle dee
Gordo
Plasma wisp

Pokemon
Chandelure

Metroid
Kihunter

Kid Icarus
Reaper
Mimicutie
Monoeye
Skuttler

Ice Climbers
Polar Bear

Pikmin
Bulborb

Megaman
Mettaur

Last edited:

Xigger

Smash Lord
The stat feature was actually really fun in Subspace Emissary. But only in multiplayer. Glad to see City Trial in Smash.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
I think I may have misunderstood some stuff about this mode. It isn't online? And can we run through it with just computer players? Do we need human players for it to work?

Also, I noticed all the fights after picking up the upgrades have a timer under one minute. Doesn't confirm anything but it does make me wonder.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
This mode looks like it's going to be really fun.

I'm gonna take a minute to list some enemies I would like to see.

ReDeads - Just because.
Motobugs and Other Sonic enemies - Since we have Mettaurs from Mega Man, I think this is probable.
Assist Trophies as enemies - Like Metroid, Hammer Bro if it comes back. Maybe even have some as mini-bosses, like Dark Samus.

abrinx77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Abrinx
This mode looks like it's going to be really fun.

I'm gonna take a minute to list some enemies I would like to see.

ReDeads - Just because.
Motobugs and Other Sonic enemies - Since we have Mettaurs from Mega Man, I think this is probable.
Assist Trophies as enemies - Like Metroid, Hammer Bro if it comes back. Maybe even have some as mini-bosses, like Dark Samus.
I agree with this list. I would also like to add some of my own suggestions. Some of these will be obviously there, while others might be a bit more of a stretch
Koopa Troopa/Koopa Paratroopa
Fire Bro/Boomerang Bro
Fly Guys
Primids
R.O.B's
Zubats/Woobats(You know everyone wants the opportunity to whip on Zubats)
Those Flying Scoopbugs from the Pikmin series.
Sir Kibble
Kracko

As far as Assist Mini-Bosses go, the Eggplant Wizard from Kid Icarus could be really cool.
Also: @ OctiVick OctiVick you missed Lakitus and Bullet Bills in that list. The bullet bills were in the direct, the Lakitu may have been in one of the press pictures after the direct.
Edit: You got Bullet Bills, my bad.

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero

Other enemies i hope to see:

Mechon (Xenoblade)
Krusha (Donkey Kong Country)
Klump (Donkey Kong Country)
Boo (Mario)
Koopa (Mario)
ParaTroopa (Mario)
Sniper Joe (Mega Man)
Pipi (Mega Man)
Telly (Mega Man)
Deku Scrubs (Zelda)
Badniks (Sonic)
Eggrobo (Sonic)
Magnemite (Pokemon)
Honedge (Pokemon)
Team Rocket Goon (Pokemon)
Space Pirate (Metroid)

Last edited:

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
I agree with this list. I would also like to add some of my own suggestions. Some of these will be obviously there, while others might be a bit more of a stretch
Koopa Troopa/Koopa Paratroopa
Fire Bro/Boomerang Bro
Fly Guys
Primids
R.O.B's
Zubats/Woobats(You know everyone wants the opportunity to whip on Zubats)
Those Flying Scoopbugs from the Pikmin series.
Sir Kibble
Kracko

As far as Assist Mini-Bosses go, the Eggplant Wizard from Kid Icarus could be really cool.
Also: @ OctiVick OctiVick you missed Lakitus and Bullet Bills in that list. The bullet bills were in the direct, the Lakitu may have been in one of the press pictures after the direct.
Edit: You got Bullet Bills, my bad.
Hm I didn't see any lakitu in the press pics.

Unresolved

Smash Cadet
NNID
Unresolved
3DS FC
4596-9792-3892

Other enemies i hope to see:

Mechon (Xenoblade)
Krusha (Donkey Kong Country)
Klump (Donkey Kong Country)
Boo (Mario)
Koopa (Mario)
ParaTroopa (Mario)
Sniper Joe (Mega Man)
Pipi (Mega Man)
Telly (Mega Man)
Deku Scrubs (Zelda)
Badniks (Sonic)
Eggrobo (Sonic)
Magnemite (Pokemon)
Honedge (Pokemon)
Team Rocket Goon (Pokemon)
Space Pirate (Metroid)
I'd love to knock the snot out of some Team Rocket grunts.

Xigger

Smash Lord
I think I may have misunderstood some stuff about this mode. It isn't online? And can we run through it with just computer players? Do we need human players for it to work?

Also, I noticed all the fights after picking up the upgrades have a timer under one minute. Doesn't confirm anything but it does make me wonder.
Off the top of my head, it wasn't addressed, but Sakurai did say "It's much more exciting than a normal online match" which can be a reference to Smash Run online.

It does look like all matches will be under a minute. My best guess is to follow Kirby Air Ride to a tee: everything was under a minute there as well. There also had an option for solo or CPU players.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Kirby Air Ride also had the default time in the City set to 5 minutes, but it could be changes to 3 or 7 minutes.

D

Deleted member

Smash Run is probably one of the only reasons I'm getting the 3DS version.
City Trial was the **** and it's really nice to see something similar for Smash.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
I love Smash Run's concept and I know I'll play it a ton, not just cause of the Kirby Air Ride similarities and more famous Nintendo enemies being represented but the way the map is designed gives me Castlevania Harmony of Despair vibes and I loved that game.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I'm so ready to Run.
Muh City Trial.
Sakurai has often referenced Air Ride, methinks.

Last edited:

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I like that they brought back the enemies, looking forward to pummeling them, of course I'm playing this game by myself, don't care what the cpu players are doing I just want to pummel the baddies.

SmasherP83

Smash Ace
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
I can't wait to play this mode looks like a lot of fun! Especially since it's like Kirby Air Ride! (I love City Trial :3)

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
For those of you who've never played City Trial, GameXplain uploaded a video showcasing it in anticipation for Smash Run.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
When I first that a handheld Super Smash Bros. game is being made I lost it.

Smash Run just made it even more epic to maximum hype.

One of the best game modes I've seen for any Smash game. Heck, I might like it more than Melee's Adventure Mode (and that was already a fan love letter).

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I been following GameXplains's analysis since the first reveal with Megaman, @ ChikoLad ChikoLad they have some pretty good reviews.

Top Bottom