• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Legend Azen Returns To SSBM, Dominates Smash @ Xanadu

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
For those eagerly awaiting the return of Azen, he is back - and did not disappoint. In an impressive performance, Azen swept the competition at S@X without losing a set, beating MD/VA Falco DP in a very close Grand Finals to take the tournament. In the process, Azen took out his former H2YL crewmates, Crs.Chillin and MOR | ChuDat.

Azen is considered one of the best players of all time. He was a subject of the well-received documentary The Smash Brothers and had been a contender at every tournament he attended until his retirement in 2009. Since then, Azen attended Pound V in 2011 before receding from the community once again. Azen was scheduled to attend Bar Wars 2 earlier this year but was unable to attend. Tonight was Azen's first tournament in approximately three years.

Azen is one of the strongest mental players in SSBM history, and if tonight is any indication he is ready to retake his place as a dominant force in tournament play.

Project M is about to start, so if you want to see Azen work his magic in that game as well, tune in to VGBootcamp right now! What do you think about this new development? Let your voice be heard in the comments below!

The Derrit was super hype for that last set vs. DP. Make sure to watch it - the final combo is too much. Geek out about it with him on Twitter at @TheDerrit.

Last edited:

Kitsune91

Lone Smasher
3DS FC
4270-1611-3292
Azen Zagenite: Oh you're sponsored? That's cute. GET WRECKED. Oh you think you have a good Falco? LOL NOPE. GTFO.

Last edited:

ItalianSheathe

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3609-2019-2185
After little to no experience of smash for years, Azen takes grand finals. Azen is back, and he is no fraud.

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
I love when old players come back and show that tech skill is good, but the fundamentals of high level play are even more important

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
~ Smash 4 invitational
~ Dedication to smash competitive community
~ GC controller revamp
~ Azen making a return

Am I in Heaven right now???

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
After little to no experience of smash for years, Azen takes grand finals. Azen is back, and he is no fraud.
I'm left speechless. Pretty amazing!
~ Smash 4 invitational
~ Dedication to smash competitive community
~ GC controller revamp
~ Azen making a return

Am I in Heaven right now???
No, you're in purgatory. Heaven doesn't happen till EVO and E3 man!

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Honestly I don't know anything about Azen life but I'm pretty sure he continued playing after retiring just not as much. Playing seriouslies occasionally with ranked players while being naturally skilled mean he will always be a sleeping giant in the smash scene.

With that said ~fan boy squeal~ I'm so happy he's back.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

da documentalry was tru

The messiah Azen has risen

smash is now danger, reconsider your sins, as the holy Azen will carry us through the night, and banish the wickets.

thumbs up if you're a 90's kid 8)

Aurafox

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraPuffs
3DS FC
2466-1511-0624
I came back just in time to see Azen returning?
Well today was a mighty good day, I say!
Good stuff as ever!

Red Rice

Smash Journeyman
That last combo got me so hype. I think I speak on behalf of everyone watching when I say that I literally jumped out of my seat

halonoc

Smash Rookie
Im just browsing through my followed twitch channels and BOOM I see Azen's face on the tumbnail. Jackpot viewing experience with great comentary.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
@TheDerrit That should say Grand Finals, not winners finals. He did defeat DP twice though. He 3 stocked ChuDat in winners finals.

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
He's going to Thanks for Playing 7 this weekend. This is gonna be HYPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

strawhats

Smash Master
All we'll need is for PC Chris to return, and the original rivalries can start again!
PC went to a NY tournament called Justice, very recently (like 2 weekends ago) ...forgot what number of the installment Justice is on by now (Justice 4 or something) He got 9th, I think, but confirmed that he would not be attending MLG/EVO. He says he can't afford to travel to OoS tournaments right now...the guy works several hours a week and lives in the BX now with his GF. He'll apparently go to local/Tristate tourneys still but travelling to WC/South/MW/OoC is apparently out of the question. He still plays though, but cant take the game super seriously right now. At least Ken, KDJ, Azen, Chu, Chillin, Hugs, DA Wes, Zanguzen, Drephen, Germ and Darkrain still play...as for Isai ( he still plays N64/someone might be able to convince to do teams for melee)

Last edited:

proxibomb

Smash Clown
PC went to a NY tournament called Justice, very recently (like 2 weekends ago) ...forgot what number of the installment Justice is on by now (Justice 4 or something) He got 9th, I think, but confirmed that he would not be attending MLG/EVO. He says he can't afford to travel to OoS tournaments right now...the guy works several hours a week and lives in the BX now with his GF. He'll apparently go to local/Tristate tourneys still but travelling to WC/South/MW/OoC is apparently out of the question. He still plays though, but cant take the game super seriously right now. At least Ken, KDJ, Azen, Chu, Chillin, Hugs, DA Wes, Zanguzen, Drephen, Germ and Darkrain still play...as for Isai ( he still plays N64/someone might be able to convince to do teams for melee)
Thanks a bunch on the update. I didn't even realize PC Chris was still in the scene!

strawhats

Smash Master
I'm left speechless. Pretty amazing!

No, you're in purgatory. Heaven doesn't happen till EVO and E3 man!
I think you mean CEO, MLG, and EVO...soooooooo many top, high, and mid level players represented from every corner of the globe will be at these tournaments....i.e. Javi, Tuga, aMSa, Ice, Leffen and Armada i've heard talks of Jeapie/Dark going to EVO.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I think you mean CEO, MLG, and EVO...soooooooo many top, high, and mid level players represented from every corner of the globe will be at these tournaments....i.e. Javi, Tuga, aMSa, Ice, Leffen and Armada i've heard talks of Jeapie/Dark going to EVO.
I forgot MLG and CEO since I was tired. This is not even the year of Smash Bros so far; it's the summer of Smash Bros for any and all fans! :colorful: After how amazing EVO was last year, I can't wait.

D

Deleted member

I dispise Sethlon. Something about the combination of using Roy and looking like the comic book store guy from the Simpsons...
I met him and played against him in tournament before, he's a pretty cool guy to be honest.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Can someone give me a link for his recent matches? I'm not caught up on all this tournament stuff but I'd love to watch him play.

TheGhostlyPidove

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2509-2709-5815
Hey, I would like a link to Azen's matches from Xanadu if they're up yet. I can understand it if they're not, Youtube videos take FOREVER to upload!

TheGhostlyPidove

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2509-2709-5815
All we'll need is for PC Chris to return, and the original rivalries can start again!
I wonder if Azen will meet up with Ken at one of the tourneys this summer. I hope he would be able to come to CEO. That would just be another bullet point on the list of dreams come true for that tourney! Just three weeks!

Top Bottom