• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Hell, For Glory Hell, Ban Land Needs to be Noticed

Should there even be a report system?

• Total voters

SASUGI

Smash Rookie
i just got into smash hell yesterday, very annoying indeed....the only reason why maybe i was banned could be because ive been using lucario latley and even tho i dont spam i do lots of aura spheres charging to get follow ups plus combined with breverse for better set ups, and then you get your fully charged aura sphere which for the worst part i throw them to no one some times just to not get considered myself as a spamer ( a player used "spammer" tag once while using lucario, even when i made all the considerations explained above...) this is unfair as hell....IS THERE SOMETHING WE CAN DO TO NOTICE NINTENDO DIRECTLY?!

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
i just got on smash hell yesterday, very annoying indeed....the only reason why maybe i was banned could be because ive been using lucario latley and even tho i dont spam i do lots of aura spheres charging to get follow ups plus combined with breverse for better set ups, and then you get your fully charged aura sphere which for the worst part i throw them to no one some times just to not get considered myself as a spamer ( a player used "spammer" tag once while using lucario, even when i made all the considerations explained above...) this is unfair as hell....IS THERE SOMETHING WE CAN DO TO NOTICE NINTENDO DIRECTLY?!
Contact their phone help support, online email or their troubleshooting forums. Start making a big stink about it eventually they're gonna have to overhaul the broken system.

SASUGI

Smash Rookie
might work, i would also be hoping for some well known player(s) from the tourneys or so to spread the word or something like that, does anyone knows someone who could do the favor? or any famous video bloger, cause there isnt much spoken about the topic on vids nor such, not even a little... as soon as i got in smash hell i found it kinda hard to get any info about this (first i thought it was a bad connection problem) and thats what brought me here, regardless of that, not much info about the subject in other places...

SilverWolfLaguz

Smash Journeyman
Bum****, FL (Heart forever in Massachusetts)
NNID
Dante_Galileo
At least put a "Why are you reporting this player?" in there somewhere.

Yesterday I could only connect to like 4 people on 3DS, and now I can't find anyone period.

Fortunately this is the main reason why I use different NNIDs on 3DS and Wii U...

SASUGI

Smash Rookie
as it seems, the latest patch didnt do anything as im still in the same situation... worst of all, i dont think i would be able to leave the game for a week hahaha XD, what a shame...

lunaticz0r

Smash Cadet
NNID
gandoe
I tried reading most of it, I aksi believe I am in this Smash Hell.
I haver been playing normally, I don't use offensive names (you cannot even type in wtf so I have no idea how you would swear)
Suddenly like 3-5days ago I couldnt join a smash game, only 1v1 and even there it would be 1 player every 15minutes which is SO stupid!!! Why do I buy a game for 80euros to not be able to play it?
I messaged nintendo.nl with my problem but have not heard back, I will like your mii post right now In the hopes someone solves this :/

Xpwnage123

Smash Cadet
I've been in Smash Hell for a few days now and it's getting incredibly frustrating. As you guys have previously pointed out, the people you play are overly competitive douchebags that lag. I developed a thick skin, so a lot of the trash talk didn't bother me, but last night something got to me.

I decided I wanted to try and improve my Rosalina and Luma. My first game I play as her, I play and beat a guy. He then proceeds to set his name to "Coward" then "Reported U". So basically, I play literally ONE game as Rosalina and Luma and then a guy decides to report me because he wasn't good enough to figure out how to play against a high tier character.

I'm not going to mince words here. This is absolute bull****. Now my stay in "banland" is going to be extended because some asshole gets satisfaction in ruining someone else's day. How can Nintendo not see that this system is incredibly flawed? First of all, allowing people to freely report people without a reason or review is stupid. But what takes the cake is that you put ALL of the banned people together. Given that the majority of the people in there probably don't have the maturity level to use the report system constructively, they shouldn't even be given the option. However, despite that, I get reported for doing nothing wrong because some person who was already branded as an asshole wants to make people's lives miserable.

It sucks because right now I'm on my college break, and was hoping to enjoy playing smash in my free time. Now I'm forced to play the game walking on egg shells, or not at all. If it's not resolved in a few days, I'm giving Nintendo a call. This needs to be addressed NOW.

Xpwnage123

Smash Cadet
Though last night I had an idea in regards to contacting Nintendo. We should try to contact Nintendo all at once. If it's just an isolated case here and there, Nintendo can ignore it. If we can somehow all reach out to them within a short period of time, maybe we can make a difference.

I don't know. Just a thought.

Kiechi

Smash Rookie
Jack shizzle is going to happen as a result. I think we just gotta play the waiting game... I saw some random guy who changed his name to SMASHBOARD. He must be on here...

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
By the way someone's probably mentioned this already, but on Wii-U you can just switch your NNID on the same system and be fine. The Network only blacklists your ID, not your system's IP. As far as I know on 3DS you're screwed.

lunaticz0r

Smash Cadet
NNID
gandoe
By the way someone's probably mentioned this already, but on Wii-U you can just switch your NNID on the same system and be fine. The Network only blacklists your ID, not your system's IP. As far as I know on 3DS you're screwed.
I made a new NNID and still the same...

edit: 20minutes later, I've played my first team-for glory match in 3days. I think it worked!

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
A report system is absolutely necessary considering how awful a lot of people are. Racism, transphobia, homophobia and various other kinds of hatred need to be punished somehow.
Why are you so afraid of free speech?

1FC0

Smash Lord
7 year olds play this game, dude.
They can take it. They will need to learn to deal with free speech someday or they will become overseneitive like a large part of the American people.

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
They can take it. They will need to learn to deal with free speech someday or they will become overseneitive like a large part of the American people.
Ok, well a lot of their parents don't think so, and when they buy their kid an E10+ rated game, they're expecting that not to include expletives and racial slurs. Nintendo would start hearing a lot of it if people's kids started learning swear words from the "kiddy-game" (yes some parents actually think this ok) they bought. Also, without a report system there'd be no way to get rid of potential hackers. What Nintendo needs to do is just come up with a way to actually review a player's behavior before issuing the banhammer.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Ok, well a lot of their parents don't think so, and when they buy their kid an E10+ rated game, they're expecting that not to include expletives and racial slurs. Nintendo would start hearing a lot of it if people's kids started learning swear words from the "kiddy-game" (yes some parents actually think this ok) they bought. Also, without a report system there'd be no way to get rid of potential hackers. What Nintendo needs to do is just come up with a way to actually review a player's behavior before issuing the banhammer.
That is the parents fault for not parenting carefully enough. Obviously you will have to be careful with games that have online if you want to shield your children against free speech. I bought Melee from people who found it was too violent for their kids. That is how it should be done if you as parent think a game is bad, then just do not let your kid play it.

And how are they going to review behavior? Hire a few thousand people to do so?

Roadhog360

Smash Cadet
NNID
Roadhog360
You clearly didn't read the manual after the last update, did you? It clearly states that if you're a guest at a taunt party, you should behave and act like a guest.
Sorry if this would be a necropost, but where does it say that?

Last edited:

Diemian

Smash Rookie
I recently got placed in ban land for... winning. No tag changes, solid lan adapter connection, 1v1 for glory only so no wonky rules apply, I don't even play a camp character or playstyle (CF). Got a few players that lost to me on the second or third match say nothing until "REPORTED" "UR BAD" "LOL". I laughed and left to find someone less salty every time, but eventually, I noticed a sharp change.
I couldnt join tourneys anymore after I had issues in 1v1 and tried something different, and it wouldnt tell me why. 1v1 for glory, the only mode I really played, took forever to find a player, and if it did, it was either someone on dial up, or a class 10 ****lord, or a combination of both. I called Nintendo and the first person couldnt help me, and they transferred me to the supervisor. Was straight up told it was all automated, nothing they or anyone else can do, ride out the ban.
What really is blowing my mind is these ****lords I mentioned before. I've played a lot of online video games, but I can't believe the cringe worthy salt going on in 1v1 fg ban land. It's not playable. Not only that, they report each other every match. Which means they are constantly stuck in a loop of salty idiocy.

tl;dr, ban land is real, don't git gud, srsly, they ban you for it.
Big bummer for a lifelong Nintendo fan.

Gamehowitzer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamehowitzer
3DS FC
5327-1431-1627
I just found out im in smash hell when i decided to get on to play some tonight. I can see why all these other players got sent here. The only thing i might have did for someone to report me is trying to get overrollers to understand to quit rolling. what i'd do is when they roll too much i'd roll back and forth then crouch 3 times. but only when they rolled as if its the only way they could move :/
Edit: The sad thing is everyone i played in FGhell sucked pretty bad. that doesn't necessarily mean that i won every match, but you know a bad player when you see one.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
I just found out im in smash hell when i decided to get on to play some tonight. I can see why all these other players got sent here. The only thing i might have did for someone to report me is trying to get overrollers to understand to quit rolling. what i'd do is when they roll too much i'd roll back and forth then crouch 3 times. but only when they rolled as if its the only way they could move :/
Edit: The sad thing is everyone i played in FGhell sucked pretty bad. that doesn't necessarily mean that i won every match, but you know a bad player when you see one.
are you talking about the wii u or 3ds?

because when i was in banland on the 3ds the people there were way better than the people in the main pool. they were spammy and campy for sure, but they spammed and camped in an effective way compared to the spammers and campers in the main pool that i often souped with ease.

Last edited:

Gamehowitzer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamehowitzer
3DS FC
5327-1431-1627
are you talking about the wii u or 3ds?

because when i was in banland on the 3ds the people there were way better than the people in the main pool. they were spammy and campy for sure, but they spammed and camped in an effective way compared to the spammers and campers in the main pool that i often souped with ease.
3ds

Diemian

Smash Rookie
Tried again today, still in ban land. Was matched against a few players that weren't laggy or being outright disgusting, and while I don't think they should be in ban land, I can see why they would be.
You shouldn't get reported for winning, however the play styles these people have are... Well... Just aids. I don't know how else to put it. When everything is bait, spam, bait into spam, then spam into bait, it just takes forever, and sucks all the fun out of the game. Most times I can get around it, sometimes I lose, but going against someone who spends the entirety of the match in a constant state of spot dodge, short hop into the same a landing aerial, full hop into an aerial with a long hit box, projectile spamming, baiting and waiting every second of the match isn't fun, regardless of if I win or not.
It's just too try hard. Still winning most matches, but it just feels dirty.
Is anthers still active? I'll just avoid the mode I bought a wii u and the game for I guess and find matches elsewhere.

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
I once got banned because my connection cut out. Which wasn't my fault as THE POWER HAD SUDDENLY GONE OUT COMPLETELY IN MY HOUSE! Yes they do ban you for losing your connection midmatch. It's pretty bad because the whole thing is automated, there's no living breathing human being to see who's at fault, they just naturally assume you raged quit...

Last edited:

Gamehowitzer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamehowitzer
3DS FC
5327-1431-1627
That's not what
I once got banned because my connection cut out. Which wasn't my fault as THE POWER HAD SUDDENLY GONE OUT COMPLETELY IN MY HOUSE! Yes they do ban you for losing your connection midmatch. It's pretty bad because the whole thing is automated, there's no living breathing human being to see who's at fault, they just naturally assume you raged quit...
That's not what we're talking about here

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
That's not what

That's not what we're talking about here
Yes it is, let me clarify. I was sent to ban land for my connection cutting out. This is about the ban land where you can't compete in tourneys and can only go up against other players in the same situation correct? Well I was put in that situation, there was an explanation unlike some of these but I ended up in the same spot.

Diemian

Smash Rookie
Yes it is, let me clarify. I was sent to ban land for my connection cutting out. This is about the ban land where you can't compete in tourneys and can only go up against other players in the same situation correct? Well I was put in that situation, there was an explanation unlike some of these but I ended up in the same spot.
1. This thread is about angry man children reporting legit players who just play smash to play smash.
2. From my personal experience, you don't go in ban land for connection issues. My internet and power have gone down while playing and I got a simple "wait x amount of time" notice before I could go online again.
3. If you are in ban land, it was probably reports that put you in, and the disconnect had nothing to do with it.
source: 10,000+ matches in 1v1 FG.

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
That's strange because the Nintendo help desk said straight up 'oh you were put there because you kept disconnecting in the middle of matches. The game puts you in banned land automatically if the game sees you doing that'. This was straight from the Nintendo support desk she also said that going under spectate and such counts for time spent in there.

KetchupKaffei

Smash Apprentice
1. This thread is about angry man children reporting legit players who just play smash to play smash.
2. From my personal experience, you don't go in ban land for connection issues. My internet and power have gone down while playing and I got a simple "wait x amount of time" notice before I could go online again.
3. If you are in ban land, it was probably reports that put you in, and the disconnect had nothing to do with it.
source: 10,000+ matches in 1v1 FG.
Lol, this thread is for all sorts of convo related topics off of Banlands, so this is fine.

I'm not sure about the connection issue ban, but I know you can get banned for leaving matches or self destructs. I think I remember if you turn off your console to try to quit, you get a 10 minute ban. I'm not sure though, it's kinda fuzzy.

Gamehowitzer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamehowitzer
3DS FC
5327-1431-1627
you mean where you have to wait10 minutes?
Lol, this thread is for all sorts of convo related topics off of Banlands, so this is fine.

I'm not sure about the connection issue ban, but I know you can get banned for leaving matches or self destructs. I think I remember if you turn off your console to try to quit, you get a 10 minute ban. I'm not sure though, it's kinda fuzzy.
Yeah. Sometimes i quit right when it says game when i'm salty. If you quit before it says game it soft bans you and makes you wait 10 minutes to play online. I don't consider that banland, that's a soft ban/ penalty. You can't even play with friends :/ But the Banland other people were referring to is when people report players and they are thrown into a seperate matchmaking server where everyone who gets reported is sent.

Last edited:

KetchupKaffei

Smash Apprentice
you mean where you have to wait10 minutes?

Yeah. Sometimes i quit right when it says game when i'm salty. If you quit before it says game it soft bans you and makes you wait 10 minutes to play online. I don't consider that banland, that's a soft ban/ penalty. You can't even play with friends :/ But the Banland other people were referring to is when people report players and they are thrown into a seperate matchmaking server where everyone who gets reported is sent.
No, you CAN get banned for quiting or self destructs from a game. It happened to me before(infact it was my reason for my last ban), but I'm not sure about the connection issue thing. Last time I could remember is just getting a 10 min ban. I think it could be possible.

Last edited:

Diemian

Smash Rookie

Ya but being banned for something that was your fault isn't really a talking point is it? Someone losing a connection isn't an issue, but if you get d/c'd all the time not only would it be their fault but they are annoying other players too. It's like a 20 second freeze into a lvl 2 CPU, it's obvious and you can report/block them after.

Nathan, the Nintendo rep you talked to, what exactly did he say about him being able to see your activity? Because the multiple people I talked to and countless threads about this issue have all Nintendo reps tight lipped, vague, or down right clueless on this issue. I was told by multiple supervisors that they can't see any player info or match data, that all the information on bans and players is simply out of reach for Nintendo of America. Super curious, lemme get all details about that call.

Also confirming you can leave on GAME! Sometimes I gotta run, so after a while I learned when I could turn it off and not get a soft ban.

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
No it wasn't my fault I can't control WHEN my wireless router is on the fritz, and I certainly couldn't control the sudden power outage that was outside of my control as well. (my wireless router is typically impeccable though there have been a grand total of four times where it spontaneously decided to not connect to the modem without warning. One reset of the router later it's fine).

Anyways what the representative said is that there are specific ways you can get into banned land and they're all listed in the final portions of your records on the for glory mode screen found in the same area as the win loss ratio.
They are (and correct me if I missed any)
  1. Excessive taunting
  2. cheating (which is probably where all the reporting comes from)
  3. Griefing (defined in game as 'targeting one character too much)
  4. Excessive SDing
  5. Choosing quit midmatch
  6. Cutting the connection out midmatch.
Each of these is automatically recorded in-game, once you hit a certain amount of times in any of those the game automatically locks you out of tourneys and sends you to banned land. (regardless of the amount of time passed between one incident and the next the time my connection cut out between the second and third time was NEARLY A YEAR).
Once on noone can get you out of it the game has to decide to let you out itself.

Gamehowitzer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamehowitzer
3DS FC
5327-1431-1627
Sounds pretty similar to when people report you but i didn't know about it actually taking stats like that. While i play on the 3ds, i actually tried to look for stats like that but couldn't find them. maybe its only on wii U?

Diemian

Smash Rookie
Sounds pretty similar to when people report you but i didn't know about it actually taking stats like that. While i play on the 3ds, i actually tried to look for stats like that but couldn't find them. maybe its only on wii U?
Sadly it looks like Nathan got a rep that just wanted to go to lunch, and this is the biggest issue with this whole ban land thing, misinformation from Nintendo. Everyone gets a different answer, which makes me think this is how it is, they won't be fixing anything, and we can look forward to this nonsense in sm5sh.
I had talked to a rep (one of many, I called a bunch) who actually played smash, who told me that taunts aren't counted (which I checked, and couldn't find anywhere) because they are capped outside friend battles. I don't see how they can ban you for pressing a button in the game, regardless of what it does, especially since you CAN'T spam it, the game won't let you.
If you only got d/c'd four times in a year, I HIGHLY doubt you were placed in ban land for it, regardless of what that rep said. All reports point to NoA reps having NO ACCESS to this info, they can't see why or how long you are banned. Unless when you called Sakurai's wife answered, the rep either didn't know or didn't care to deal with it.
I really don't think the reason we're in ban land is on a list of rules. The reason is salty idiots are misusing the report system that isn't monitored or was really thought about before implementing.

*edit: I also got a rep telling me taunts count as well, but a majority of calls and other threads on this and other sites point to taunting doesnt effect it. Not saying "You are wrong", more like... F*** Nintendo for all this.

Last edited:

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
I do have the WiiU version and when the power went out midmatch and I double checked the stats after the power came back on the game had counted another disconnect automatically. tbh if you're not using the Wii U version then you might not be getting as much info as you could. I get there's both a 3DS and a Wii U version but I only have the Wii U version (mainly because when I tried the 3DS version the controls were crap). Does anyone here have the Wii U version to verify what i'm saying?

Top Bottom