• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Carolina Mk. 2 - There's a Snake in My Boot! (Melee, P:M, & UMVC3) Greenville, SC - Jan 11th

woundedust

Smash Apprentice
I won all events. Anybody who disputes this is lying.

Quick shoutouts to everybody I played and talked to. Everybody was great, and I'm really happy to see that SC has such a cool Smash scene.

Woundedust: It was great teaming with you, man. thanks for the fun.

Atlas and Fou: you guys are definitely legit. I'll be looking forward to rematches.

Bran: One of the smartest / hardest to read Falco's I have played. Great games

Charleston crew: Can't believe you guys made it all the way out for this. it was awesome meeting you guys.

Protoman/PDude/Cody: Thanks for running a great tourney. let's do this again sometime.

Everybody else: Seriously I had a ton of great matches. all you guys were great.

I thought this went really well... my only complaint might be how long everything ran, which I think was just a side effect of doing Melee and P:M simultaneously.... Not sure how it could have been done better, but dang I was tired by the last match. I'm probably just not used to this anymore... I'll get better.

Anyways, I'll be seeing you guys again. great fun today.
And fen, i DEFINITELY look forward to teaming with ya in the future. I feel like if i can get better reads, and with a little more practice as a team, we could be a force to be reckoned with

Player -0

Smash Hero
Yea! He played fox as well, and i played roy some too
Zelda should just hold stage control while Lucario runs around and wreaks havoc with his on hit cancel stuff.
Lucario can throw out his "Spirit Bomb" to pressure someone who's recovering, pre-occupy your opponent while you need to go help your partner, or as a kill move (I think?) if your partner has someone in a grab. Throw the "Spirit Bomb" at Zelda by accident? No problem, just Nayru's and reflect it or teleport through it.
Zelda can help Lucario recovery without too much risk with Din's (I think?), pop one in Lucario's Up-b path to allow him to do it again. Zelda can also help Lucario from edgeguarding situations by Teleporting over from the ground (as to wavedash out of it) and knock the other person off.

During your matches against "Windfish" (Collin) and I, one of you guys (who played Lucario XD?) threw some "spirit bombs" at me and just kind of stared at it slowly wiggled towards me, you need to use it as a way to get a free grab or aerial punish.

Also, were you guys sandbagging :p?

woundedust

Smash Apprentice
Zelda should just hold stage control while Lucario runs around and wreaks havoc with his on hit cancel stuff.
Lucario can throw out his "Spirit Bomb" to pressure someone who's recovering, pre-occupy your opponent while you need to go help your partner, or as a kill move (I think?) if your partner has someone in a grab. Throw the "Spirit Bomb" at Zelda by accident? No problem, just Nayru's and reflect it or teleport through it.
Zelda can help Lucario recovery without too much risk with Din's (I think?), pop one in Lucario's Up-b path to allow him to do it again. Zelda can also help Lucario from edgeguarding situations by Teleporting over from the ground (as to wavedash out of it) and knock the other person off.

During your matches against "Windfish" (Collin) and I, one of you guys (who played Lucario XD?) threw some "spirit bombs" at me and just kind of stared at it slowly wiggled towards me, you need to use it as a way to get a free grab or aerial punish.

Lol at some points i was kind of. Played pretty serious most of the match though. And i was using the aura ball as a edge guarding technique, yes, but i was using alot for stage positioning as well. When fen got kind of held up at ledge or lost what positioning he had, i threw the aura ball out to distract, put enemies in the air, whatever i could do to take the other teams attention off of fen.

The way i was playing,When he played zelda, i kinda played the mix up game. Ran the double teams, kinda played offensively, but at the same time ran support for zelda when i could, seeing as how every one of her moves is a kill move

Last edited:

woundedust

Smash Apprentice

Overall, we just liked playing the mix ups. Both those match ups are fairly unknown, and although a strange team, it worked.

You guys played a zelda i know, but who else did you play?

Player -0

Smash Hero
Lol at some points i was kind of. Played pretty serious most of the match though. And i was using the aura ball as a edge guarding technique, yes, but i was using alot for stage positioning as well. When fen got kind of held up at ledge or lost what positioning he had, i threw the aura ball out to distract, put enemies in the air, whatever i could do to take the other teams attention off of fen.

The way i was playing, when fen played fox i mainly just played fortress and took what they gave while fen did his offensive spacie stuff. When he played zelda, i kinda played the mix up game. Ran the double teams, kinda played offensively, but at the same time ran support for zelda when i could, seeing as how every one of her moves is a kill move.
I feel when teaming with Zelda and you're Lucario you should just play like Fox and go super aggro and abuse your Down B to get out of the Magic Series if you're in a bad spot.

Yeah, once Zelda gets a grab or Up Smash on a fast faller.... Up Smash -> Up Smash -> Up Smash -> Brawl Sweetspot Foot

woundedust

Smash Apprentice
I feel when teaming with Zelda and you're Lucario you should just play like Fox and go super aggro and abuse your Down B to get out of the Magic Series if you're in a bad spot.

Yeah, once Zelda gets a grab or Up Smash on a fast faller.... Up Smash -> Up Smash -> Up Smash -> Brawl Sweetspot Foot
Well lucario is weird. He can combo, but he is pretty floaty so it can be hard to follow up on attacks.

Down b is pretty punishable at points. You can use an aura charge with it and have no lag basically, but i was trying to save those for aura ball.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Well lucario is weird. He can combo, but he is pretty floaty so it can be hard to follow up on attacks.

Down b is pretty punishable at points. You can use an aura charge with it and have no lag basically, but i was trying to save those for aura ball.
You can do stuff like Dash Attack -> Down Tilt -> F-smash -> B-Reverse Down B away to reset the situation.

Who we played?
Collin played Mario and Marth in the tournament, All Marth against you guys.
In the tournament I played Sonic, Captain Falcon, and Ike. I played Captain Falcon and Ike against you guys. I played Sonic and CF against everyone else.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Nah that's all sound advice, P0. Thanks.

I never really sandbagged this tourney although I did experiment with characters from time to time. I haven't done much with PM before, so I was kind of winging it and trying to play it like Melee (which worked surprisingly well with Zelda, and surprisingly poorly with Fox). I'm planning to try out more chars before the next tourney, to really nail down a main.

I was pretty thrilled to get 3rd in doubles, honestly

woundedust

Smash Apprentice
You can do stuff like Dash Attack -> Down Tilt -> F-smash -> B-Reverse Down B away to reset the situation.

Who we played?
Collin played Mario and Marth in the tournament, All Marth against you guys.
In the tournament I played Sonic, Captain Falcon, and Ike. I played Captain Falcon and Ike against you guys. I played Sonic and CF against everyone else.
Yea. Im pretty new to lucarios follow up system so i was still experiminting alot. But thanks for the tips. And you should have tried sonic! I would have liked to see him

Last edited:

woundedust

Smash Apprentice
Nah that's all sound advice, P0. Thanks.

I never really sandbagged this tourney although I did experiment with characters from time to time. I haven't done much with PM before, so I was kind of winging it and trying to play it like Melee (which worked surprisingly well with Zelda, and surprisingly poorly with Fox). I'm planning to try out more chars before the next tourney, to really nail down a main.

I was pretty thrilled to get 3rd in doubles, honestly
Lol i was suprised to get third. Plus 4th in melee!?! The only thing stopping us was that darn sheik fox.

Had a blast with you dude. Hopefully we can team in future tourneys where i dont suck so bad lol

Player -0

Smash Hero
Yea. Im pretty new to lucarios follow up system so i was still experiminting alot. But thanks for the tips. And you should have tried sonic! I would have liked to see him
I felt like my team needed more kill power without being too gimp able so I went Ike. This is because Collin was playing Marth who kills pretty spirratically.

Nautilus

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3308-5000-4410
Being one of the people that used this board a lot, I figured I'd post one more time.

I suspected the environment would be a big issue for me for a long time, just didn't know how much. Even when it was just my brother and I in friendlies and there were about 8 people in the room, I was jittery beyond belief. Usually I can hit perfect wavelands and shffls and such with Ganondorf regularly during play, but I couldn't even short-hop correctly here while under no pressure.

So to those players I mentioned looking forward to meeting, I guess it'll be a long while before we ever actually play each other. Everything about being at the place made me not want to play the game at the tournament level and realize I was just going through another dumb phase. Happy gaming though.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Being one of the people that used this board a lot, I figured I'd post one more time.

I suspected the environment would be a big issue for me for a long time, just didn't know how much. Even when it was just my brother and I in friendlies and there were about 8 people in the room, I was jittery beyond belief. Usually I can hit perfect wavelands and shffls and such with Ganondorf regularly during play, but I couldn't even short-hop correctly here while under no pressure.

So to those players I mentioned looking forward to meeting, I guess it'll be a long while before we ever actually play each other. Everything about being at the place made me not want to play the game at the tournament level and realize I was just going through another dumb phase. Happy gaming though.
Just play some dumb friendliest with Falcon and go for Falcon punches and don't feel bad when you get destroyed and your opponent is like, "Seriously .-.?".
That's what I did at least :awesome:

Fenrir VII

Smash Master

You'll probably hear this from other people here, but I thought I would chip in.

The truth is that a LOT of players let their nerves get the best of them, me included. If you find yourself wanting to try again, find me at a tourney. I'll be glad to play some no stress randoms with you to help the jitters.

Nautilus

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3308-5000-4410
Another funny thing was that I was on the lookout for name-tags matching smashboards usernames, but when I was there I suddenly forgot what everybody's usernames were (still don't know if ez went).

But yes, your offer to help out is greatly appreciated Fenrir VII. If I come out to another tournament you're attending I might have to take you up on that. My trip into Greenville ended up being about family instead, which was for the better, but next time I'll probably have some trigger happy friends with me also. The crowding and tiny setups will take as much getting used too as the nerves and the population, but I know I'm by no means the first to deal with that, obviously.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Another funny thing was that I was on the lookout for name-tags matching smashboards usernames, but when I was there I suddenly forgot what everybody's usernames were (still don't know if ez went).

But yes, your offer to help out is greatly appreciated Fenrir VII. If I come out to another tournament you're attending I might have to take you up on that. My trip into Greenville ended up being about family instead, which was for the better, but next time I'll probably have some trigger happy friends with me also. The crowding and tiny setups will take as much getting used too as the nerves and the population, but I know I'm by no means the first to deal with that, obviously.
@ Hinichii.ez.™ Hinichii.ez.™ was there for sure, unless someone used his tag. I played some friendlies with him. 1v1v1.

I might suggest that people write their smashname on their nametags in quotations and then their real name below. Also if this turns to become a biweekly then we should get lanyards (maybe 1up could sell them?) so we don't have to fill one out every time.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542

@ Hinichii.ez.™ Hinichii.ez.™ was there for sure, unless someone used his tag. I played some friendlies with him. 1v1v1.
I might suggest that people write their smashname on their nametags in quotations and then their real name below. Also if this turns to become a biweekly then we should get lanyards (maybe 1up could sell them?) so we don't have to fill one out every time.
I was 2lazy to slap the tm on name tag :p i wrote ez really sloppy, small and the e and z weren't even lined up haha ~was that brown guy in the baby blue hoody. I was hanging around timmy(eisen) for a while if you know him. I came late, so I did miss PM doubles, but I was a hour er two early for PM singles.
We might be able to get a bi weekly going on at ER wireless gaming. We had a tourney there in the not to distant past, its like 10 mins away from cody's(pdude) house.

Laneyards. That's whats up.

Player -0

Smash Hero
I was 2lazy to slap the tm on name tag :p i wrote ez really sloppy, small and the e and z weren't even lined up haha ~was that brown guy in the baby blue hoody. I was hanging around timmy(eisen) for a while if you know him. I came late, so I did miss PM doubles, but I was a hour er two early for PM singles.
We might be able to get a bi weekly going on at ER wireless gaming. We had a tourney there in the not to distant past, its like 10 mins away from cody's(pdude) house.

Well I'm pretty sure I played with you.... You played Mario and then awkward 1v1v1's commenced.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Well I'm pretty sure I played with you.... You played Mario and then awkward 1v1v1's commenced.
Ye
Did a few of those. At first I'm like ok, I can warm up a bit, then it was like, lets do 1v1v1 at the next 3 tvs I went to lol
Did you use a tag in those?

Player -0

Smash Hero
Ye
Did a few of those. At first I'm like ok, I can warm up a bit, then it was like, lets do 1v1v1 at the next 3 tvs I went to lol
Did you use a tag in those?
Yeah, It was either P -0 or weird Japanese character that looked like a P and then a slash and a zero.

My names Player Negative Zero in case some people misread it.

MusicalMike

Needs to try harder
Slippi.gg
MUSI#321
Hey guys, Mike here (Kidd's an old name, will change soon). If you don't know who I was, I was the short white dude in glasses walking around with my twin brother lol. Shoutouts to everyone who played me, it was a humbling experience and I'm glad that I had a chance to be reacquainted with SC Smash.

Brandon- I'd like to apologize for quitting on our match. I was the one who played Falcon/Marth vs. you. Frankly I defeated myself hardcore and well, kinda killed the hype that your friends were making for us. You did wonderfully and certainly I feel you're better than me ATM, but the hype kinda destroyed me as I've never experienced that before. Looking forward to rematching you one day.

Alfie- Fun matches man, you made me choke hard on Fountain of Dreams in our Marth ditto there. I look forward to rematching you again one day.

Altas/Butch/Kevin/Lucas- Always a pleasure to see you guys again :)

Greenville Smashers- I think we all should train together sometime!

To whomever turned in my World of Warcraft Alliance shirt- THANK YOU for being a good person. That was a gift from a good friend who stopped by the tourny to wish me luck. I was upset when I found out it was lost. Shoutouts to good morals. <3

On a personal note, I didn't train really at all for this. That was a huge mistake. I felt sluggish mentally going into my fights (due to people having better reaction time than me), had serious tournament jitters, etc. And well? I paid for it, as I deserved to. I will train harder next time to respect my competition more. Thanks for being awesome, SC. <3

Player -0

Smash Hero
I second that, I really only got to play Melee friendlies and that was my first time playing melee in like, 5 years...
There needs to be something that we flip so that people know if it's a tournament match or a friendly match.
Edit: Errr, I second the post above the one above me.

Although the post above me sounds familiar...

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
or
we go to ez's house, listen to my dogs bark, ignore my mom nagging and play PM on 5 frame delay tv

MusicalMike

Needs to try harder
Slippi.gg
MUSI#321
Ez/player 0, what did you guys look like at the tourny? I think I saw you but I didn't meet you

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Ez/player 0, what did you guys look like at the tourny? I think I saw you but I didn't meet you
5''7
in the baby blue hoody
brown guy
came in late
I think the hoody alone, should give me away.

MusicalMike

Needs to try harder
Slippi.gg
MUSI#321
Ah yeah I think I remember you :) Sorry we didn't play at this one, come to the next one (whenever it is hopefully soon because this one rocked lol) and we'll play sometime :)

Psst Fenrir I want to play you

Last edited:

ProtomanVX

Smash Ace
I was running around TOing and telling people to get off the TVs. Hopefully, I can acquire more setups before the next tourney. I am also going to plan better.

Nautilus

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3308-5000-4410

Considering I left while doubles were still going on, that would explain it.

ProtomanVX

Smash Ace
I'm talking with Brandon about when we can throw the next one. I doubt it will be before March due to my daughters birthday and V-Day.

woundedust

Smash Apprentice
I'm talking with Brandon about when we can throw the next one. I doubt it will be before March due to my daughters birthday and V-Day.
Let us know when the next one is. That or post it on the boards. This was crazy hype.

And everyone, if you have a twitter, what is it?

woundedust

Smash Apprentice

Yo, during our doubles match (@ Fenrir VII Fenrir VII and @ woundedust woundedust ) I started going M2K and fidgeting. Unfortunately soon after I got hit away from the stage and couldn't quick draw close enough :(.

I'll join the fray and Falcon Punch for dayz if you guys don't care :awesome:
Another really helpful tip.

Listen to music. Listen to it while you practice at home so you get used to it. Thats what i do when i get a little nervous. When you do its just you in your own little world. The hype isnt noticeable, and the flow really smooths out your gameplay

hood+

Smash Cadet
Frankly I defeated myself hardcore and well, kinda killed the hype that your friends were making for us. You did wonderfully and certainly I feel you're better than me ATM, but the hype kinda destroyed me as I've never experienced that before. Looking forward to rematching you one day.
not speaking for brandon but apologies if the shouting was derogatory or threw you off. didn't mean to kill anyone's game.

MusicalMike

Needs to try harder
Slippi.gg
MUSI#321
not speaking for brandon but apologies if the shouting was derogatory or threw you off. didn't mean to kill anyone's game.
No no! No need to apologize, none of you did anything wrong. The hype was understandable (as well as completely tasteful) and I actually am glad you did it as it was the first time anyone ever was hype w/ a match involving me lol. I was just..yeah Having a mental attack on myself. Aside from just feeling kinda sick etc once Brandon started breaking through my Falcon on my third stock, I just kinda told myself I sucked and that there was no way I was gonna win, and it went downhill from there. Just ended it quickly to save myself the embarrassment of losing my cool w/ myself lol.

If anything, I apologize for letting the crowd down, and for letting Brandon down. Sorry guys.

As a player, I need to work equally on defeating myself as well as defeating others. Working on my mentality is a top priority for me now, so thank you for the experience <3

Top Bottom