• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Carolina Mk. 2 - There's a Snake in My Boot! (Melee, P:M, & UMVC3) Greenville, SC - Jan 11th

woundedust

Smash Apprentice
Again, im looking for a teamate. I dont really Care whom, just would like to enter doubles. I main marth, but i can use sheik, falcon, falco, and doc as well

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Yeah but I thought LCD's weren't HD?
Idk, I've played on a friend's HD TV and it was laggy.
They aren't, just giving an example. I'm not sure about LCDs and visual lag. You'll have to look that one up.

woundedust

Smash Apprentice
Again, im looking for a teamate. I dont really Care whom, just would like to enter doubles. I main marth, but i can use sheik, falcon, falco, and doc as well

Nautilus

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3308-5000-4410
I've seen a few arguments about LCD televisions on here. Most people insist it's a lag of about 1 or 2 frames at the least for most of them. While others argue that it's all about how you hook it up, and if it's done right it's equal to CRT's. I'm pretty sure mine has a bit of a lag, but I only got a chance to compare very briefly. I noticed that on my friend's CRT, that thing where a move activates off-stage, because I got hit off-stage while I was pressing the buttons (leading to a KO half the time) seemed to not happen to me anymore.

I can't verify anything myself. I tried googling it but didn't find any immediately so gave up. I guess looking it up is the only way to be sure.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
RE: the LCD discussion

LCD and plasma TVs, along with some projection TVs, can have a pretty big lag problem. I'm not personally sure of the amount of lag (# of frames), but it's noticeable in tournament play and it seems to vary slightly between TVs. While they can sometimes be adjusted with hookups to lessen lag, in my tourney experience, not all flat TVs can feel likea CRT. and that'll really screw up a tournament match.

Some rhythm games (guitar hero, etc) even have a built-in lag correcting "calibration" setting to fix this.

CRT or old-style "box" TVs generally don't lag, so they're the preferred tournament setup. I also have a good rear projection TV that doesn't lag so that's nice.

If I can carry it, I'm planning to bring a 32" CRT with a gamecube to this tournament, so that'll add a whole setup for play

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Sounds like a plan. Will you be at the venue early? May give us a little time to practice
Sure I'd like that. I plan to be there a bit before noon that day, and I'll get a setup going as soon as they let me.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I planned to as well. So that works out great. What is your tag at tournys?
Fenrir. And Japanese chars that look like fnrr while playing. You'll find me.

Also, agreed on the nametag idea. I'll see if I have any I can bring.. I'm looking forward to meeting the SC crowd.

Nautilus

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3308-5000-4410
Nametag things sound neat. I'd love to be able to find the guys in this thread. Hopefully friendlies will happen between us. 2 v 2 Friendlies would be fun too since I could worry less about how good or bad I might be.

Player -0

Smash Hero
I second that (friendlies, Yay), I play a ton of different characters too, so I might be able to completely unimpress people with my array of sucky characters.

If I go (still not sure x.x;), I'll try and bring my own nametag. It'll probably just be like, a piece of paper or one of those adhesive thingies on my chest or a lanyard of something.

ProtomanVX

Smash Ace
So here's the deal: Bring some setups. We'll find a spot, even if we have to sit on the floor. The more setups, the faster this goes, the more time for friendlies.

Nautilus

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3308-5000-4410
I can't bring a television, just the other things required. Am I just as well not bothering to bring anything?

ProtomanVX

Smash Ace
Bring it, because you never know. I'll be bringing three TVs and only Two Wiis, so there's that. Plus, we'll have some more stuff from the store to use. Bring what you can! :D

Nautilus

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3308-5000-4410
Don't know the views on custom music or stage skins for this tournament are, but I'll definitely bring it for the sake of possible friendlies use, then. Thanks.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I've never been to a tournament where 'too many setups' was a problem. Bring whatever you have... If we have an excess, worst case is we leave a setup or two in the car.

Nautilus

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3308-5000-4410
Turns out my friends aren't going to be able to come, guess i'm finding a doubles partner on location or just not entering doubles. Still fairly excited, though I'm sure I'll feel somewhat lost without familiar faces around.

See you guys tomorrow!

Player -0

Smash Hero
First tournament! Was super cool. Met a couple of people but forgot most of their names :].
Soni and I did decently well going 1-2. Double Mario 2gud. I feel like we can do better, just need to get a game plan.

Are these videos being uploaded to Youtube? If so, what channel?
Also, what twitch channel are these videos under?
Also..... What was the prize?

Also..... Who won each events?

GG's people! And gratz to winners!

woundedust

Smash Apprentice
First tournament! Was super cool. Met a couple of people but forgot most of their names :].
Soni and I did decently well going 1-2. Double Mario 2gud. I feel like we can do better, just need to get a game plan.

Are these videos being uploaded to Youtube? If so, what channel?
Also, what twitch channel are these videos under?
Also..... What was the prize?

Also..... Who won each events?

GG's people! And gratz to winners!
I moticed the pm setup along the back wall had a capture card with it. Have to find out whos it was and talk to them. And i would like to know who won all the events?

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I won all events. Anybody who disputes this is lying.

Quick shoutouts to everybody I played and talked to. Everybody was great, and I'm really happy to see that SC has such a cool Smash scene.

Woundedust: It was great teaming with you, man. thanks for the fun.

Atlas and Fou: you guys are definitely legit. I'll be looking forward to rematches.

Bran: One of the smartest / hardest to read Falco's I have played. Great games

Charleston crew: Can't believe you guys made it all the way out for this. it was awesome meeting you guys.

Protoman/PDude/Cody: Thanks for running a great tourney. let's do this again sometime.

Everybody else: Seriously I had a ton of great matches. all you guys were great.

I thought this went really well... my only complaint might be how long everything ran, which I think was just a side effect of doing Melee and P:M simultaneously.... Not sure how it could have been done better, but dang I was tired by the last match. I'm probably just not used to this anymore... I'll get better.

Anyways, I'll be seeing you guys again. great fun today.

Last edited:
Top Bottom