• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Brothers 4 Dojo, Will there be one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
There was one for 64, Melee, and Brawl, heck you can't even keep Sakurai off twitter as it is right now, there's going to be a Forth Dojo for sure.

inb4peoplehateonthedojosforspoilers
Dojo didn't ruin the hype as much as Sakurai not making newcomers hidden characters ruined the hype. He's a big dork.

But yeah, there will probably be a new dojo.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The only problem I have with a Dojo is if there's too many stupid updates like "You Must Recover." I don't mind those, as long as they come with other updates, like Assist Trophy characters, Pokéball Pokémon, or some new gameplay addition. I know they bugged some people, but I don't mind dealing with item updates, and I think they should stay (at least for new items).

Also, I hope we get more gameplay videos with character reveals. That would make each reveal so much more hype.
I basically lived for the Dojo. The quality of my day depended on the quality of news from that site. Sakurai has his ways of making the fans teeter on the edge of excitement all the way to release. I hope he pulls off that effect some way or another again.
This. The Sonic update was an incredible experience. I saw the reveal at the Nintendo conference, saw the video on the Dojo, got freaking hyped up to high hell, and then went to bed.

I woke up the next day and thought "that was the best dream ever" only to check the Dojo and find out IT WAS REAL!!! OH MY GOSH IT WAS REAL!!!

Even though I was more hyped for Diddy and Toon Link, that update was the one that put me over the top.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
The only problem I have with a Dojo is if there's too many stupid updates like "You Must Recover." I don't mind those, as long as they come with other updates, like Assist Trophy characters, Pokéball Pokémon, or some new gameplay addition. I know they bugged some people, but I don't mind dealing with item updates, and I think they should stay (at least for new items).

Also, I hope we get more gameplay videos with character reveals. That would make each reveal so much more hype.

This. The Sonic update was an incredible experience. I saw the reveal at the Nintendo conference, saw the video on the Dojo, got freaking hyped up to high hell, and then went to bed.

I woke up the next day and thought "that was the best dream ever" only to check the Dojo and find out IT WAS REAL!!! OH MY GOSH IT WAS REAL!!!

Even though I was more hyped for Diddy and Toon Link, that update was the one that put me over the top.
Man, when PT was announced, and Charizard was a playable character... that was a good day.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

Yh that would make each individual char feel special would be sick.

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
\

That, and the day Olimar was revealed was like, the greatest day ever.
That and pokemon trainer for me. Both were so perfect and out of the blue. I'm worried I won't be surprised like that this time, especially after the time spent on these sites in lieu of my dojo addiction.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Oww
That and pokemon trainer for me. Both were so perfect and out of the blue. I'm worried I won't be surprised like that this time, especially after the time spent on these sites in lieu of my dojo addiction.
Owwe Believe i think Sm4sh have something for everyone.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Man, some trailers for each new character would be great.

I'd really like to see Sakurai's thoughts (shown in video) on characters before the game comes out so we can get inside the developer's head as to what to love about these 2 forthcoming games.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Man, some trailers for each new character would be great.

I'd really like to see Sakurai's thoughts (shown in video) on characters before the game comes out so we can get inside the developer's head as to what to love about these 2 forthcoming games.
Yeah, the Sonic reveal really made everyone get pumped about the game. Unforgettably, the more hype a game has, the more people complain about it afterwards.

Squartle

Smash Apprentice
If there is one, which there will be, I won't be looking at it.

I intend to go into this Smash game the same way I went into Melee - with only vague recollections of the characters from that one time I played at a friend's house. Except I won't even have those. Day one of Smash 4 release, I'll be going in blind. No adventure mode, either - I'm going to unlock each character by playing normal matches. The "Challenger Approaching" hypefest is something I sorely missed in Brawl, because the Subspace Emissary ruined my character-unlocking experience.

It's going to be hard to stay clear of news, but as long as I don't participate in gaming websites once info starts going live, I'll be fine.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I hope it's like a direct series.
Once a week, 20 minutes of news. Every week Sakurai leaves us with a hint for the next character reveal.
Live on the Wii U. Epic.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
If there is one, which there will be, I won't be looking at it.

I intend to go into this Smash game the same way I went into Melee - with only vague recollections of the characters from that one time I played at a friend's house. Except I won't even have those. Day one of Smash 4 release, I'll be going in blind. No adventure mode, either - I'm going to unlock each character by playing normal matches. The "Challenger Approaching" hypefest is something I sorely missed in Brawl, because the Subspace Emissary ruined my character-unlocking experience.

It's going to be hard to stay clear of news, but as long as I don't participate in gaming websites once info starts going live, I'll be fine.
I was saying pretty much the exact same thing...i wrote a moderatly long post about it in another thread..but in thia day and age with how public the internet it and how Sakurai has starved us for info like a dog in cage in the middle of a desert except he has threw us no bones..

Its pretty much impossible...

Well..depends if theres enough good games out..ahh i wouldnt really say its impossible..more like 1/ - 99/

Squartle

Smash Apprentice
I was saying pretty much the exact same thing...i wrote a moderatly long post about it in another thread..but in thia day and age with how public the internet it and how Sakurai has starved us for info like a dog in cage in the middle of a desert except he has threw us no bones..

Its pretty much impossible...

Well..depends if theres enough good games out..ahh i wouldnt really say its impossible..more like 1/ - 99/
I don't think it's going to be that difficult. I only recently started using Reddit, so it shouldn't be too difficult to let that go for a while. And I've already found myself losing interest in most gaming websites (apart from this one). None of my friends ever talk about video games on Facebook, so staying dry should be relatively easy.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I don't think it's going to be that difficult. I only recently started using Reddit, so it shouldn't be too difficult to let that go for a while. And I've already found myself losing interest in most gaming websites (apart from this one). None of my friends ever talk about video games on Facebook, so staying dry should be relatively easy.
I like you.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
I definitely think that the dojo plays a relatively high role in creating hype and attracting new fans to the game. I don't see why they shouldn't make one for SSB4.

Squartle

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, by all means, make the dojo. Build some hype.

I will be building hype solely on my own. ;)

Yitsul

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yitsul
3DS FC
2105-8677-5210
Switch FC
5599 8083 2114
I hope not, I want everything to be vague until launch

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
I hope not. I really don't want to hear people ***** and moan about how the roster wasn't revealed at day 1 again.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
I was being hyperbolic.

Though people still did complain when we didn't get a character sometimes.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I was being hyperbolic.

Though people still did complain when we didn't get a character sometimes.
DUDE! How you've been? It's been such a long time since the pre-Brawl days! Good to see you back!

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I sure hope there'll be another one, the Dojo was just about the best thing about waiting for Brawl. Every weekday there was something new to discuss, it was pretty exciting, and my heart always skip a beat when I saw the "Challenger Approaching" banner. The day Dedede was under that banner was a fantastic day.

volbound1700

Smash Master
You kind of have a catch 20 with newcomers with Smash.

You want to reveal them before the game to generate hype to get people to buy them but also you want to keep some secret for the enjoyment of the players.

I think once again most the BIG-NAMES will be revealed before the game is released while characters like Wolf, ROB, Lucario, Toon Link, Jigglypuff, etc. will stay hidden.

OmegaRS

Smash Apprentice
Here's what I want for the new Dojo:
Do not reveal unlockable characters until AFTER the game is released in all regions (And let's hope that all regions get it at the same time). That way people will be too wrapped up in playing the game to check the Dojo every day and can't complain about the game being spoiled.
Every time a character is revealed, have a reveal video for that character that demonstrates the basics of what that character can do. That's what a lot of fighting games do nowadays.

Those are really my only wishes for the new Dojo.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Do not reveal unlockable characters until AFTER the game is released in all regions (And let's hope that all regions get it at the same time). That way people will be too wrapped up in playing the game to check the Dojo every day and can't complain about the game being spoiled.
Every time a character is revealed, have a reveal video for that character that demonstrates the basics of what that character can do. That's what a lot of fighting games do nowadays.

At the very least, Sakurai will have to do third parties like the Sonic trailer to hype the game. If a character is BIG enough and can generate sales for the game, he/she/it will be shown.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

The unlockable characters (minus Snake and Sonic) were only revealed after the US release, and even then they just had a big question mark as an icon, and even had a warning when you clicked it that you'd spoil yourself. I don't see the problem with how that was handled.

I'd really like a video demonstrating the new characters though, if they can take pictures of the character's moveset like they did on the old Dojo, then they should be able to record a small video for them too. Not necessarily on the scale of the Sonic video, maybe just show the B-moves and call it a day.

OmegaRS

Smash Apprentice
The unlockable characters (minus Snake and Sonic) were only revealed after the US release, and even then they just had a big question mark as an icon, and even had a warning when you clicked it that you'd spoil yourself. I don't see the problem with how that was handled.

I'd really like a video demonstrating the new characters though, if they can take pictures of the character's moveset like they did on the old Dojo, then they should be able to record a small video for them too. Not necessarily on the scale of the Sonic video, maybe just show the B-moves and call it a day.
Well either way, this time I really hope all regions get the game at the same time. It's so hard to avoid spoilers when Japan gets the game a month early and pretty soon I know the whole roster and am unsurprised by any characters.

Oh and one other thing. I'd like for the optional ability for fans to register with the Dojo in order to filter out updates that they themselves don't want to see. For instance, if I didn't wanna know the characters that would be in, I'd filter out character updates, and it'd display a message on top of all other updates saying "The following screenshots contain character spoilers. Please view at your own risk."

Also it would help for when the unlockable characters are shown... when I go on the Dojo today and want to see an unlockable character, I have to guess at which character is which when I'm looking for a specific character, I'd like it if I could toggle the question marks off.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Well either way, this time I really hope all regions get the game at the same time. It's so hard to avoid spoilers when Japan gets the game a month early and pretty soon I know the whole roster and am unsurprised by any characters.
Indeed. Japan got the game in February, we in Europe got it by the end of June (so many delays,) that was simply ridiculous. Knowing the game was done, knowing all the characters, stages and the whole plot of the SSE, but also knowing that I still couldn't play the game myself, that really sucked. I hope they pull a Pokémon X & Y and release the game in all regions at the same time indeed.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Definitely. The dojo was the main source of hype for Brawl, so there's no reason for it to be omitted this generation.

I look forward to the day the site goes up.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
God, I sure hope so. Those were the good days, staying up until 2 am to see what Sakurai updated that night (although now I live in a reverse schedule of that, as I work nights, so it wouldn't be "staying up" for me anymore. xD).

Of course, I'm afraid it might have ruined the game a little bit for me... But come on... Those good ol' days of speculating. I miss them so much, I'd gladly do it all over again!

And I hope it starts soon, I'm sick of waiting on information for this game! Although I'd be shocked if we have it started this year, personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom