• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Smash Bros Perfection Program" - Bugs, Glitches, etc... Good Riddance?

°UÇK

Smash Journeyman
"Perrin Kaplan: What did I just say to someone downstairs… I’m not calling it a delay. I’m calling it a Smash Bros. Perfection Program." Perrin Kaplan, Head of Nintendo of America in an interview with Wired Network.

No, I'm not starting to nag you about the delay! I think the same way as most of you do, the game is going to get better and it will be worth the wait. There is no way around it anyway.

But the more I thought about this the more I grew concerned about a certain aspect of the game: bugs, glitches, gimmicks, eastereggs and such.
The game is finished and could be played so far, what Sakurai and his team does right now is debugging and testing. Since this is going to be THE GAME! it must be perfect.

But is this really so?

Of course, nobody wants a buggy game especially when it comes to system stability. Remember "missingno" in the first pokemon installment?
Nonetheless, it were those glitches that gave ssbm it's extra spice IMO. And I don't mean wavedashing, I mean "real" glitches. Yes blackhole, same-color, SWD and friends, I'm pointing at you.
Thats something I'm really looking forward in the upcoming smash, all those bugs in the game. No matter if they are just geeky or even applicateable into gameplay. HECK, there is so much potential for "failures": maybe speedrunning the subspace through walls. Todays dojo update is totally perfect for homemade glitches à la "Create your own bug", Ko-op-stuff... AND THERE WILL BE GLITCHES.

I made this thread to stress out a little that Nintendo right now puts very much effort in getting rid of those. Getting rid of hazards to gameplay is good but they are trying to hunt them all down.

Minor glitches played a important role in smash (discuss!), this will most likely be not the case for ssbb.
Bug-free-game= good game?
Will bugs defenitly decrease the quality of the game?
What do you guys think about this? please comment

Tyrael64

Smash Journeyman
^^Trudat, can't argue with Chuck Norris.

That being said, I think it's worth pointing out that part of the reason Melee has lasted for 6 years is how well they managed to balance the characters. Yes, some characters are always better than others, but there's no one, single character that is leagues away far and better than all the others like you get in most other fighting games. Smash is a fairly deep game, and that deepness wouldn't have been achieved without substantial QA testing.

I'm pretty sure these guys know what they're doing.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Vin Diesel argues with Chuck Norris... and wins.

Moving on to better things, I'm not really sure what side you are on. However, I do think a bug-free game = a good game. You can't debug every glitch and minor problem with the system, sadly, but think about all the crap they do get rid of that could possibly RUIN the game.

Sure, SSBM has things like the infinite super scope, black hole glitch, etc, but imagine all the bugs they took out that really EFFECTED the game. All those are glitches that need set ups and would never happen in an actually fight, but there were probably glitches that would, thus destroying the element of the game.

The less bugs the better, regardless.

Mordraug

Smash Cadet
Well as long as they replace any potentially fun glitches with actual good content, i.e. stages bonus stages etc I'm fine with that. However, If they are not adding anything more now and are strictly bug testing till release date I'd be a bit dissappointed.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
^^Trudat, can't argue with Chuck Norris.

That being said, I think it's worth pointing out that part of the reason Melee has lasted for 6 years is how well they managed to balance the characters. Yes, some characters are always better than others, but there's no one, single character that is leagues away far and better than all the others like you get in most other fighting games. Smash is a fairly deep game, and that deepness wouldn't have been achieved without substantial QA testing.

I'm pretty sure these guys know what they're doing.
Smash is balanced lol

Hmm it's alright, the other fighters you were playing was probably TMNT: tournament fighters or Power Rangers lol

Kittah4

Smash Ace
I don't really like glitches of any sort and can't understand the clamor over them. Especially things like Missingno., which people will flame you for speaking against and claiming it should be in Brawl in one form or another.

Glitches are things that programmers do not like, things they work to avoid. With a game this huge though, I'm not sure they can be avoided. Just imagine getting a codec call, Mr. resetti, and the pokemon trainer's Final smash onscreen at the same time.

°UÇK

Smash Journeyman
I think i should make clear: I'm against bugs that do occur during normal gameplay and affect it negativly. Who isn't?! that would be just plain stupid. I have faith in sakurai he will get rid of them and it will be good.
But I'm for the abnormal glitches that need setups... mhm thats somehow the same.
I mean, c'mon, every bug is a curiosity since they are not supposed to be there. Of course you are all against bugs if I ask it that way. " he look, you do that, then jump and your char teleport to the other end of the stage. thats seriously NOT cool, it's mayor disruption which could have a negative effect on gameplay. Nintendo did a bad job on that one, lets sue them!" Hell No. SSBM hadn't such bugs, luckily, and the occurance of those bugs during normal gameplay in nintendos mayor selling game of all time is highly improbable.
Don't get me wrong, i actually want to encourage you! It's discoverytime again. This game will have so many new things to offer and one aspect of it will be glitches, like it or not. and the thought of it gets me intrigued. Imagine: a thread with the title: "new glitch found" and, yes, ITS A NEW GLITCH! how cool would trhat be. At the same time this gets me sad because nintendo is right working on getting rid of these. poorly we'll never know what we are missing... sad story.

but in general im against bugs, yeah, glitches for the lose

Paingel

Smash Apprentice
The thing with bugs and glitches is this: They are accidental. They aren't supposed to be there.

Whether these glitches are "fun" or whether they are "annoying" is really just a matter of how they seriously they effect the game in question.

Also, it's perfectly possible that, in the process of fixing an "annoying" but, they might get rid of a "fun" bug as well.

But the guys at Nintendo are probably smart enough to realize the difference between a fun bug and an annoying bug, and the annoying bugs will probably get a lot higher priority on the "bug fix list" so maybe there's a chance that a few fun bugs will slip through.

Or maybe not. How would I know?

Kruton

Smash Ace
Yeah, having the 'Black Hole Glitch' doesn't really mean much to me...at all.

Paingel

Smash Apprentice
Considering that I've never ever ever bothered to do the Black Hole Glitch, I'm inclined to say that I don't really care either.

But someone does care... So why not let them have what they want?

jc1sttwin

Smash Journeyman
Getting rid of all the bugs is great ;)

Why you want to look for bugs in stead of playing the glorious game itself

Good job for getting rid of them Sakurai

Metalknux

Smash Ace
I don't want a super glitched game where you can barely finish a match, but I love things like the Black Hole and Soulbreaker. I don't want glitches to be a naturally occuring thing (coughDBZSagascough), but I still want the ones that are fairly hard to do, but have cool effects. I'm looking forward to finding all kinds of cool things when Brawl comes out.

Edit: I don't want any Melee glitches back, but I want to find a new way to do the Black Hole.

Aceleeon

Smash Cadet
Gilgamesh i love your icon man. thats great.
Im also happy to hear how much more time they are putting in the charecter balence of this game. i cant wait to try it all out and play the hell out of this game for years to come. anybody with me on that.
i also cant wait to see the Freind code Boards. well be able to play each other (crossing fingers for lag free) all the time. Im gettn excited just thinkin about it.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
The bugs you mentioned don't bother me at all and there's nothing wrong with them. They are the kind of things you use for some crazy fun. Imagine making a black hole and playing a match where you throw your friends into it.

The glitches that should be fixed are ceiling glitches [where you hit an invisible ceiling after getting smashed, mainly upwards] and glitches where you fall through the stage.

Aceleeon

Smash Cadet
Im thinkn those easter eggs will definatley add to the game, cause its so great that you find them after you played the game thouraghly first. then you find those eggs. I really think the fact that its online is gonna give smash (dare i say it?) 'Starcraft' like replayablity. constant competition, new eggs, combos , stages, and yes WD or things like WD will definatly pop up and add so much more to it.
Meele at some times did lose its spice at times. cause you sometimes had to wait or drive hours away to go find more opponents. ( I personally didnt have this problem i wasnt satisfied till i felt i had to master evrey move of evrey charecter but thats just me) anybody agree?

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
As awesome as some glitches can be, I'd much rather have them take out everything they can as opposed to purposefully leaving stuff in. The cons of a badly glitchy game far outweigh the pros of a few cool things to show your friends.

I imagine they would just patch any cool glitches anyway though, if they could. Nintendo seems like they would do that.

SirPenguin

Smash Journeyman
Glitches are far from awesome. Granted, they're kind of cool when first discovered, but they certainly can ruin a game quickly. Ditto with bugs.

°UÇK

Smash Journeyman
Glitches are far from awesome. Granted, they're kind of cool when first discovered, but they certainly can ruin a game quickly. Ditto with bugs.
Well well well, i think its time to resurect this topic.

brawl is out for some time now and many glitches and tricks have been found. Most of them have a certain use to them, some are just funny and luckely no system destabilising ones to date. Omnigamer glitch compilation features some of them with a classification on use and difficulty.

I still think glitches make the game deeper, funnier and even more competitive.

What do you guys think about brawls glitches?

Top Bottom