• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash bros needs more girls? Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
She's not an important princess so her crown is made from cheap pink construction paper, a flower, and rocks.

Edit:@ someones post about daisy's crown
Damn it phone, let me pay attention to what page I'm on.

:phone:

jigglover

Smash Lord
Daisy? Heck no.

While I kinda want Smash to be a bit less of a sausagefest, there aren't a whole lot of female characters that I know of that really deserve/have a chance to be in SSB.

Off the top of my head, Lyn and Dixie Kong are probably the only characters that are interesting enough and have the name recognition to make an appearance. There are plenty of other characters that are cool/ important that just don't have the name recognition to make an appearance.

Edit:
Just for fun, I decided to categorize the characters in Brawl according to their genders:
Male Characters:
[COLLAPSE="Male"]Mario, Luigi, Wario, DK, Diddy Kong, Bowser, Ness, Lucas, Yoshi, Fox, Falco, Wolf, Captain Falcon, Marth, Ike, Olimar, Link, Toon Link, Ganondorf, Popo, Kirby, King Dedede, Meta Knight, Pit, Snake, Sonic, Mr. Game & Watch
Total: 27[/COLLAPSE] [COLLAPSE="Female"]Samus/ZSS, Peach, Zelda/Sheik, Nana
Total: 4[/COLLAPSE] [COLLAPSE="Gender Ambiguous(meaning we don't know their gender)"]Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Lucario, All PT Pokemon
Total: 6 if you count PT pokemon individually[/COLLAPSE] [COLLAPSE="No gender"]ROB
Total:1[/COLLAPSE]

If we count the "Fallen Five":
[COLLAPSE="Male"]Doc, Young Link, Roy
Total:3[/COLLAPSE] [COLLAPSE="Ambiguous"]Pichu
Total:1[/COLLAPSE] [COLLAPSE="No Gender"]Mewtwo(Almost all Legendaries have no gender)
Total: 1[/COLLAPSE]
Yoshi's gender ambiguous.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If he's the same age as leaf, that's still too young to drink beer, but it's not any 10 year old I've ever seen

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Medusa will probably not be a playable character at all if she's constantly be regulated to minor roles. She doesn't even appear in Super Smash Bros. in any shape or form, not even a sticker.
Add the fact that Medusa gets replaced by Hades as the main antagonist of Uprising adds to the fact that her role has been heavily downgraded to being minor. At best, Medusa will probably end up as a boss or a trophy cameo, while Palutena gets all the glory of being playable (if it does come to pass that is).

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Yoshi's gender ambiguous.
I'm almost entirely sure that Yoshi is almost always identified as male.

edit: nevermind, did my research.

Did more research. Blegh. But Yoshi is usually identified as male, and in Brawl he's specifically identified as such.

D

Deleted member

Smash Yoshi is male. Otacon says so.
Lucario is also reffered to as a "he" in various instances in Brawl (also, voice).

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Smash Yoshi is male. Otacon says so.
Lucario is also reffered to as a "he" in various instances in Brawl (also, voice).
According to some games, Yoshi's reproduce asexually, so they have no gender. So either way, I was wrong.

But he's generally considered a male, so you're probably right.

Source for freaky gender stuff.

D

Deleted member

PT is 11 in R/B/Y/G/FR/LG, 14 in G/S/C/HG/SS, and 16+ in B2/W2.

Bdblazen

Smash Cadet
SSB needs more females because it's such a Balls fest :glare: .Oh wise and gracious Lady Palutena, if you are listening to me from your throne in Skyworld, please answer my prayers and be playable in SM4SH!

Ajsp3

Smash Rookie
I have a strong opinion that when a girl plays a guy character it can get a little strange and if they pick, say, samus and she hates samus, then its no fun for her. They should include other females that are fairly decent fighters so they could have a good time.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I have a strong opinion that when a girl plays a guy character it can get a little strange and if they pick, say, samus and she hates samus, then its no fun for her. They should include other females that are fairly decent fighters so they could have a good time.

So Zelda and Peach aren't females? This is news to me.

And the reason there aren't many girls is simple: girls have cooties, so they can't be in. :troll:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Wat?

When a girl picks a guy character (or vice versa) it's because they enjoy playing as that character. It could be for other reasons, but usually its not. Plus many video games only give the option for girls to play as guy characters. :glare:

Personally I have plenty of fun playing as alot of different Smash characters (coincidentally mostly the male ones -- though that's just cause there are so many more), and so do other girls I play with. I suppose you're unintentionally right in that if there were more females, more females would play (though the demographic that only wants to play as their gender is usually made up of young kids), but as very few females would actually be willing to play Smash but then not want to because there are only 3 females, or quit because they didn't enjoy playing as 3 out of 35 characters, it's not the problem you make it out to be. Girls are used to being outnumbered in most video games. ;)

@shinpichu
I think he was just using Samus as an example.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace

You can have a good time playing as any character that you want to play as, regardless of gender. I'm male, but I main Samus in all three games. I also like playing as Shiek every now and then (okay, so the gender thing gets a bit tricky there...). I don't see how it would be "weird" or uncomfortable in any way for a male player to play as a female character or vice versa... that just isn't an issue that normal gamers deal with... :ohwell:

Regardless, a character's gender should not be what grants them inclusion. Gender is far less important compared to things like iconic status, popularity, relevance, and deservingness.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I play a fat male penguin in Brawl and a gender confused ninja princess in melee. I don't think it has anything to do with my gender/ sexuality/ race/ species.

I'm am not a penguin

Phantom287

Smash Rookie
I'm a Wizard!!!

Okay, anyway back on topic, I'm throwing my opinion in with the lot who are for adding females, but only if they actually bring something to the game.

Like others have said, there just aren't that many female characters in Nintendo that seem like they deserve a spot, and even the better candidates mentioned can be contested as to whether or not they truly deserve to be in, in favor of another character (e.g. K. Rool vs. Dixie Kong).

Bottom line, I'm certainly not against female inclusion, but I most certainly am if the only reason said woman got in is simply because she's female.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
The only female characters I see that have a chance of getting in are Palutena, Mona, Dixie Kong, Medusa, Krstal, May and Toon Zelda. 5 of these are very unlikely but are somewhat likely.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't believe there is a Mrs. Game and Watch

Ferio_Kun

Smash Journeyman
The only female characters I see that have a chance of getting in are Palutena, Mona, Dixie Kong, Medusa, Krstal, May and Toon Zelda. 5 of these are very unlikely but are somewhat likely.

I think this pretty much covers it. My prediction would be Palutena, Dixie, and MAYBE Krystal.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Oh wow! I'm looking up female pit!
Female Peppy Hare, the Queen of "Barrel Rolls".:troll:

The only new female characters I'd like to play in smash, whenever they make it to the roster are pretty Palutena, Medusa, Bubbles, Captain Syrup, Katt Monroe (if she had any chances), and Ashley. Would Wario's female counterpart be Captain Syrup? They both are pretty damn greedy. And wear purple...

D

Deleted member

Nah, his female counterpart would be the 'Ugly Form' of Princess Shokora. :troll:

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
I don't know about Palutena...I guess she could work. Birdo, too. But, Birdo isn't female, just so you guys know. (If you didn't know) Birdo is a drag queen. Toon Zelda is a no, in my opinion.

Female counterpart of mario- Imeanwut. No, I am kidding.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I don't know about Palutena...I guess she could work. Birdo, too. But, Birdo isn't female, just so you guys know. (If you didn't know) Birdo is a creepy transsexual. Toon Zelda is a no, in my opinion.

Female counterpart of mario- Imeanwut. No, I am kidding.
Fixed. :awesome:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Birdo is also a generic species, so it's always possible to find an actual female Birdo. It's also possible that they're asexual, and only like to wear female props for amusement.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Nintendo is sexist :troll:

kumatora from mother 3 would be good.She's pretty badass. Her psi is incredible.Mother could be good with 3 reps. Kuma is a shoot first ask questions later girl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom