• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros logo

Steck

Smash Journeyman
I searched this and nothing came up so...Is there any symbolism or meaning behind the smash brothers logo (The circle with the offcentered cross)? If not post what you think it means.

I thought it was like a window sill because in smash 64 the opening movie started off in a kid's bedroom and it was like they were fighting in front of a window (ye old training mode)

AllanT

Smash Apprentice
ah, yes, i remember the "kid" who's hand was actually master hand....

i never noticed a window, but i do remember that logo from "training mode" in the back ground...

it is rather weird, how 'bout you ask Panda? he IS sakurai after all...

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I believe you're right about the windowsill thing, remember that being mentioned in the 'Iwata Asks' when interviewing Sakurai

IWontGetOverTheDam

Smash Lord
I think it's odd that Sakurai kind of gave up on the whole "Master Hand is just a kid playing with his toys" angle of Smash.

antimatter

Smash Lord
@Iwontgetoverthedam: really now, did he? for all we know, tabuu is the grown up version of the kid.

AllanT

Smash Apprentice
dang that would be weird!

hopefully, IF another smash comes out, we'll know.

cuz tabuu is INCREDIBLY random, cool, but random, and the whole thing with the "kid playing with his toys" was PWN. seriously, that was just awesome, you fought your master, MASTER hand....

omfgomfg

Smash Lord
Your eyes happened to drift to my location, I see.
ok look i always play smash 64 and no way in hell is master hand a kid's hand because it can float around the ENTIRE ROOM it is like a FAMILIAR
omg who the hell even knows what a familiar is these days go check out smash 64's opening again
it's a familiar in a kid's room

antimatter

Smash Lord
What makes you say that? Sounds kinda baseless to me. (Not ragging on the theory or anything, just saying.)
i'm just throwing out some random ideas. and to everyone saying the evil voice means it cant be a kid, it's in his imagination. anything can happen there.

Steck

Smash Journeyman
Maybe smash 64 was when the master hand was good and then Tabuu enslaved him hence the evil in melee and then Gannondorf breaks the hand free in brawl

IWontGetOverTheDam

Smash Lord
Maybe smash 64 was when the master hand was good and then Tabuu enslaved him hence the evil in melee and then Gannondorf breaks the hand free in brawl
Just a few errors.
1. Ganondorf was betraying Master Hand, not freeing him
2. Master Hand wasn't evil in Melee. He was practically the same as in 64
3. I'm doubting Sakurai was thinking about SSE in 1998

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
I think they scraped the kid in the room angle in melee, with the throwing of the trophies into to colosium

As for the logo in the ssb64 on the orange title screen i recall 2 striking items coming in and cutting the cross in the circle, whether that was just a random thing, or as sum1 said it might represent the window frame.

Tables

Smash Cadet
I always thought the boxes in Smash64 were houses, cause a) I was young and b) the logo looked like a window.

Doc_Gerbil

Smash Rookie
I think it's in Melee where there is a circle then two sword slashes draw the lines in the circle to make the SSB logo. It doesn't seem to have to do anything with the Master Hand, I don't know how you guys got off on a tangent about that..

Whiteface

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRealWhiteface
Tabuu is the kids drunk father who tells him to stop playing with his toys.
lulz

The logo according to Sakurai represents nothing more than a cross or an X as in the Japanese version. The Japanese use the cross or X to represent confrontation or battle.

majorojam

Smash Apprentice
Tabuu is the stupidest addition to Brawl. He's just kind of... there. On top of that, he doesn't feel all-too-original to me, nor did Galleom and Duon (this only goes for the new bosses, not bosses taken from other games).

Tabuu is kind of like when you got to Necron at the end of FFIX. He never made an appearance until the very end, nor was he even mentioned (except maybe abstractly and metaphorically throughout parts of the game, but in a way that the player could in no way figure out he even existed). Tabuu was probably a last minute addition (and may contribute to Roy, Mewtwo, and the other incomplete characters' exclusion).

Oh well... I'll be relieved when Sakurai comes out and explains all of the things that he would have liked to include (despite his reluctance to talk about such matters). I would just like some explanation, as would many of us. I think that is really what gets to us, more so than the frustration of not having something actually present in the game. The question is: why?

M.K

Level 55
Master Hand likes to finger children in there sleep (which, apparently in Master Hand's world, children sleep in the daytime) and then likes to rearrange there stuff, including the dolls of innocent virgin Nintendo characters.

random_bob

Smash Cadet
Tabuu is the stupidest addition to Brawl. He's just kind of... there. On top of that, he doesn't feel all-too-original to me, nor did Galleom and Duon (this only goes for the new bosses, not bosses taken from other games).

Tabuu is kind of like when you got to Necron at the end of FFIX. He never made an appearance until the very end, nor was he even mentioned (except maybe abstractly and metaphorically throughout parts of the game, but in a way that the player could in no way figure out he even existed). Tabuu was probably a last minute addition (and may contribute to Roy, Mewtwo, and the other incomplete characters' exclusion).

Oh well... I'll be relieved when Sakurai comes out and explains all of the things that he would have liked to include (despite his reluctance to talk about such matters). I would just like some explanation, as would many of us. I think that is really what gets to us, more so than the frustration of not having something actually present in the game. The question is: why?
i personally think that if the characters could talk then Sakurai would of had them say something and go into a bit more detail about who Tabuu is and why he's there but nintendo hates to have their characters speak too much.

0wnd1zzl3d

Smash Cadet
Lol Maths.

Bet half of you dunno the circle geometry theorem used there.
I believe it's (I had this class two years ago)

that the products of the chord segments are equal

In this case, 3 * 4 = 2 * 6.

Top Bottom