• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros. "Lawl" - Round Two (3/18+ Update)

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
Update: SSBL Re-Launched!

"It's been over two years since I first launched this project with the simple goal of killing time until the release of much-anticipated Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I gathered nearly thirty-thousand (29.5k to be more exact) viewer hits, and I kept with it through the lifespan of the DOJO!! until the game itself pulled me away. I return a year later, revitalized and bursting at the seams with ideas.

While I praise the franchise and this installment up and down, I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that it isn't exactly perfect. Instead of crowding the internet with more preachings about fan ideas, I decided to revive this project with a new goal: to illustrate my own ideas.

Last time, I polished my updates with the "Sakurai-eese" language, which I felt brought an incomplete, vague vibe to the whole project. It was clear I had ideas, but I made no effort to nourish those ideas. This time, I'll be presenting these ideas in a new, direct-from-the-would-be-developer format for a more enjoyable package. I also plan to include not only characters, both old and new, but adventure mode bosses, assist trophies, stages, and more.

You may have been ready to LAWL!!, but are you ready for Round Two?"

~Kevin X Nelms, March 18th, 2009

New Host Online: http://kxn.paperwaspnest.com/smash/

Utilizing the concept once more to pull myself out of an art rut, I've decided to re-launch my Super Smash Bros. project. The URL is the same, so there's a chance some of you have even seen it already. I'm planning weekly updates, including newbies and characters that I did last time, along with more bosses, assist trophies and the slight possibility of stages this time.

Once again, enjoy and I look forward to both positive and negative feedback!

Vyraj

Smash Rookie
"Super Smash Bros. Lawl is a project I originally came up with after realizing the simple rhyme between "brawl" and "lawl", but until recently I actually had no idea what the project was going to be. When I finally decided to put down a hopeful character roster for the upcoming game is when it hit me; I could stop for every character and render them in my own style! This would be a great way to combine a personal hobby and further practice with illustration, especially being that I have slimly - if ever - drawn any of these characters before. So I got to work, deciding to start with the original eight."

~Kevin X Nelms, January 12th, 2007

http://fanewgie.atomic-fire.com/smash/index.html

I originally intended this project to be more of joke characters and somewhat of a web comic or flash animation. Taking a more serious approach I decided on just simply rendering members of the cast to my own style mostly for drawing practice. I've been going since early '07 and don't intend on slowing down - as I'm having a lot of fun and learning a lot of things in the process. Since I use this as my time filler to wait for new information, since the announcement of weekly updates on the official site, I thought I'd finally put it out there for others to browse as their own time fillers.

As of now I am not taking requests, but I may eventually. I have too many planned "lawlers" to go, as I intend on finishing the confirmed character set by next week.

Enjoy, and I eagerly await feedback, good and bad. :D
Very nice gratz bro

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
I do the main sketches by hand, then I scan them in and use Flash and lots of little tricks to color them. For a few characters I tried some Paint Shop Pro effects, but decided against them as a friend pointed out how he liked what I could pull off using only Flash.

I have four characters in the works right now - the last two confirmed characters (Link and Pit) and some newcomer/joke characters. Unfortunately I got a bit of a writer's block but I'm working my way out of it now, so maybe I'll update tonight...

El Cancel

Smash Journeyman
drawing by hand is tough. i can't do it.

do you use many sources/official art to go by? like that zamus one: the suit is pretty confusing and there are those designs on the hand, the back, and other areas.

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
do you use many sources/official art to go by? like that zamus one: the suit is pretty confusing and there are those designs on the hand, the back, and other areas.
Some characters are easy.. like Mario. I think the worst was Ganondorf, I had to youtube videos of the final battle in Twilight Princess and watch them over and over again, picking out details, since there is no official art of him (at least, there wasn't back when I did him). Zamus, I mostly used the official character art from Brawl, and slow-mo'd the first trailer for a few details.

I would like your permission to use your Ganondorf fan art for a new Ganondorf sig I'd like to do. I'm gonna wanna recolor the stock, but don't want to do it with your permission. :)
If you want to get a hold of me on AIM or in PMs, I can try to assist, in case you want him rescaled cleanly or anything.

Zeela12

Smash Ace
wow, ur art is really wonderful! like the others said, great style, very nice job on the Fox and Zsamus especially. :D

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
If you want to get a hold of me on AIM or in PMs, I can try to assist, in case you want him rescaled cleanly or anything.
Thank you. Once I'm back to my "sig making comp", I'll get back to you. I think the size would be fine. If it's not to much trouble, some recoloring would be wonderful. ;) :cough purple cough cough:

Thanks for letting me use your images though. :)

chibifibi

Smash Apprentice
I think the Jiggly Puff was captured perfectly. Your style is cool, it somewhat gave Bowser a Pokemon look. :D

CutMet

Smash Journeyman
I really like the style on those drawings, but I see your name and I think of something. Are you around on a lot of Mega Man forums? Because I think I saw your name on one of the forums a long time ago.

mkmelee

Smash Lord
Awesome. Great drawings, although the linework and colouring could use some work. Continue to work on the characters.

Silhouette

Smash Lord
wow, i like your style :bigthumbu

would u mind posting those on photobucket so i can use them on myspace? i will credit u when theyre used or u can put your sig on them.

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
I really like the style on those drawings, but I see your name and I think of something. Are you around on a lot of Mega Man forums? Because I think I saw your name on one of the forums a long time ago.
Years ago I sparked a project to design female versions of the robot masters, and I remember posting them frequently on ... some particular forums. I honestly don't even remember where anymore.

Incidentally, I just started building a sub-page for them in my webspace last night. However I don't think it'll be online any time soon as those drawings are very old and just appear hideous to what I can do now. But I can keep you updated if you'd like.

would u mind posting those on photobucket so i can use them on myspace? i will credit u when theyre used or u can put your sig on them.
I don't plan on uploading them anywhere for mass-viewing or anything as I don't necessarily want them in mass circulation at this time.

CutMet

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to see those female Robot Masters, how many of them did you get done? Please keep me up to date on this.

Fanewgie

Smash Ace

Stryks

Smash Hero
Pretty cool, all 3 look awesome:

Nook looks so cool I actually WANT him in brawl now!
Mewtwo looks very sick
and GaW just looks plain awesome!

Nice work!

Stryks

Smash Hero
Yeah Demon is wise, a SSBM comic or a Brawl comic would be sweet as hell, why not take a whack at it instead of just drawing poses, dont get me wrong theyre awesome, but like demon said it would be a waste of talent...

Brawlman

Smash Ace
Those drawings are freakin' awsome! I've never seen anyone draw Smash Bros characters like that. (At least...not as good as yours Fanwegie) And the people above me are right, your talent would look awsome in a comic!

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
Recently - especially while drawing Mewtwo - I've been brainstorming the thought of some kind of Smash flash animation. However, I'm a terrible writer, which has inevitably been the death of all of my previous flash animation projects (or rather, the task of writing and animating all myself).

Perhaps some day...

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
Recently - especially while drawing Mewtwo - I've been brainstorming the thought of some kind of Smash flash animation. However, I'm a terrible writer, which has inevitably been the death of all of my previous flash animation projects (or rather, the task of writing and animating all myself).

Perhaps some day...
*Points over to Smash Writer title:)*

Although it was for a third place entry, I'm actual a pretty decent writer. Send me a PM with your AIM if you want me to help with your flash movies. I've made some sprite animations myself, so I'm pretty comfortable with the program.

I just really want to help you out. And, it's always been my dream to help write for a flash animation.

I'm done sucking up now:laugh:

Brawlman

Smash Ace
Sorry for my earlyer post, it was rushed. Now that I took the time to look at the pics carefully, I can say that the only people that I've seen better drawing from are experts.

And I can't stop staring a Z-Samus and Peach...When are you gonna make Zelda?...I just sounded like a pervert...*smacks self in forhead*

Keep on drawin'!

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
When are you gonna make Zelda?
I've been trying to get myself to do the confirmed characters so far just to get them out of the way, but when I finally sat down to do some work again, Mewtwo and Nook were the first to come. Maybe sometime this week? If I can find the time and patience, life is tossing me a ton of stress lately...

Brawlman

Smash Ace
No pressure from me. Take all the time ya need! If ya have to take a week for one drawing, then so be it!

I just hope ya never stop...Or at least don't stop untill ya run out of ideas.

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
KXN back again after a rather long and irritating dry spell, bringing two newcomers to the table:

http://fanewgie.atomic-fire.com/smash/waluigi.png
http://fanewgie.atomic-fire.com/smash/daisy.png

To state what should be obvious, I don't think either of them are likely brawlers. It seems to me like you can't have one without the other, and I think Bowser Jr. will get the shot first. Unless they could lable Waluigi as a Wario Ware character, which he's never appeared in. Then it might be possible. That's all for my opinion on the matter. ;)

I designed Waluigi due to a dare from a friend to design him like an old cartoon villian (specifically, **** Dastardly (edit: haha I can't believe they censored that)), and the design flourished rather well into what Waluigi would be if he were in Brawl, IMO.

Daisy was designed around the idea of not making her a Peach clone. And what's more unexpected than having her show up in her Strikers battle armor as a more Sheik-like character?

Enjoy, and I hope to have a few more characters along soon. I finally got my groove back.

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
A small update (and a shameless bump ;D).

No new art, but, after rebuilding my main page yesterday, I was thirsting for more web design, so I built an entire new page to showcase the latest 5 updates to the "Lawl" roster, made up just like smashbros.com to properly honor it. I even tried to write character blurbs in "Sakurai-eese". Now you can more accurately track when I update the roster with new characters!

The main page now links directly to this new page:
http://fanewgie.atomic-fire.com/

...and the new page itself is right here:
http://fanewgie.atomic-fire.com/smash/profile/

You can find the full roster page still by clicking on "Characters" at the bottom of every profile (just like the official site :DDD!) or at the same URL as posted before.

I hope to get some new characters up soonish... but things have been busy. Until then, enjoy!

Edit: I finished a complete revamp on the main roster page as well. Everything should all be in order now, minus the few slots I left blank as I want to redo those characters.

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
Character update! As said in the Sakurai-eese blurb on my newly opened "latest 5" page:

"The mysterious Sheik once again returns to the Smash scene! Absent from Twilight Princess, she's a seperate character from Zelda this time around. We also saw fit to ... slightly redesign her. She's all woman!

Sheik is still the quick hitter you know, though she hits a little softer this time around. She and Daisy are similar characters, and I guess you could say Daisy is the powerhouse.
"

http://fanewgie.atomic-fire.com/smash/image/sheik.png

Enjoy. I think this one took longer than Zero Suit Samus, and she took.. 6 hours? This one took at least 10 8 (I forgot about an unfortunate 2 hour interruption I had last night), not including concept sketch time and extra finishing touch time today. o_o;

Bane

Smash Journeyman
All very good, I especially like your take on Waluigi, the first look on him that I could see as cool enough to take him in Brawl. You also achieved a nice style to your work, while maintaining the spirit of the characters and making them all look suitably intense. However, Sheik may be a tad... well... topheavy, she is pretending to be a man you know... While I appreciate such artisticembellishment as much as the next guy, the illusion is broken from the time you look down past his/her/its/potato's neck, if you ever get that far up.

Top Bottom