• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros Direct on April 8th, 3pm PST!!

Lugubrious

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lugubrious
I am thoroughly pleased. My only gripe is that Sakurai continues to tease Ridley rather than finally confirming him playable. Still, with a summer finalization of the roster, there's still a lot of time.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I was stoked the entire direct, and I kept waiting for my main to shop up in HD, then the Pokemon section at the end came on and I was thinking ooh man Pokemon newcomer... then I saw Charizard on its own and my heart dropped. Out of all the Trainer's Pokemon, I used it the least and reeeally wanted Squirtle back.

Greninja... I don't hate it... but... it just seems like the flavour of the month character... guess we'll see in time.
Well

Water Starters > Fire Starters

If Blastoise is never going to be a character, Greninja is the second best choice

Actually the third

The second would be Empoleon!

andimidna

Smash Master
View attachment 11681

@ andimidna andimidna It was a good run, friend. But all things considered, this is way more than I expected to see from her and we should both be glad it happened at all.
You said it, friend.
I'm not angry at all.
I was hoping for a transformation.
But there are none.

If Midna's amazing assist trophy wasn't shown, I would have just given up hope that she'd be in the game at all.
I will say, though, each assist that flew by I was whispering
"Please not Midna... Please not Midna... Please not Midna..."
And well, there she was in all of her hair swinging glory.
I will be pleased to see Midna whip her hair back and forth in Smash Bros for Wii U.
Although... As a huge Midna fan, I'm going to have to pretend this is a hint for a Twilight Princess sequel on the Wii U :3

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Guys, leave D-idara alone. No point in exacerbating the issue.

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Palutena ain't going down yet. In fact, Pit's new FS and a Pseudo-Palutena trophy tease just increases her chances even more.

On side note, with the 3ds version coming sooner, I hope the 3DS will get more love.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
You said it, friend.
I'm not angry at all.
I was hoping for a transformation.
But there are none.

If Midna's amazing assist trophy wasn't shown, I would have just given up hope that she'd be in the game at all.
I will say, though, each assist that flew by I was whispering
"Please not Midna... Please not Midna... Please not Midna..."
And well, there she was in all of her hair swinging glory.
I will be pleased to see Midna whip her hair back and forth in Smash Bros for Wii U.
Although... As a huge Midna fan, I'm going to have to pretend this is a hint for a Twilight Princess sequel on the Wii U :3
On the plus side, there's always hope for

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
TRG's summary:

THE GOOD:

Zard is his own character now (which I wanted)
Sheik is back and her own character now (never saw that coming BUT GOT DAMN I'LL TAKE IT!).
ZSS her own character (same as above)
Multiple veteran updates
Multiple Final Destination stages (CAN I GET A HALLELUJAH?!?!)
Cool new online features
Cool new stages
Awesome new music

THE NEUTRAL:
Customizable movesets (still not sure how to feel about this)
Greninja (would have preferred Zoroark but oh well... awesome trailer though!)
Item/Assist trophy stuff
Yoshi's back (was too obvious to get excited about. nice to see him back.)

THE BAD:
Squirtle/Ivy/Red deconfirmed :( Gonna miss you guys
Ridley fans getting teased once again
3DS releasing before WiiU version (BADDD move Nintendo the WiiU is pretty much guaranteed to fail now)

Expletives were screamed, fists were pumped, and tears were shed. Overall this Direct delivered! :)

Last edited:

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Interesting thing to note about music:

Arrangement in RED are newly composed for Smash Bros. Wii U.
Arrangement in
GREY are arranged tracks from PAST Smash Bros games.
And Original are from source games- directly.

You may have also heard the new re-rearrangement of Area 6 in the direct.

It looks like they aren't gimping music. Thankfully.

I also just noticed this, but anyone notice the "Smash Bros for Wii U" logo? I'm guessing it's pointing out this is a stage on Wii U... So does that mean we'll be able to transfer or even cross-unlock stages on both platforms? Or is it just tagging it as EXCLUSIVE and stages such as Boxing Ring won't have ANY tag on them.

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Warning Received
Damn. Not only are you overreacting, you're being straight cruel. "I just hope that tendinitis hurries up so he can't touch another game ever"? What the **** is wrong with you, dude?
I really hope he can't play videogames ever again, if Ridley fans can't enjoy the game, he shouldn't either.

Tacblack

Smash Apprentice
I realize we all know this, but.... my god Sakurai is a troll. The ZSS bit was uncalled for haha. I could just taste the tears at that point.

All that aside we got a plethora of information.
-The items are cool
-The stages are looking amazing (FD form for almost all stages?)
-New online mode looks nice. There might be some things that might be called into question (did he ever mention anything about stock?) but it's already a massive improvement over Brawl's
-Smash run looks interesting. It looks promising and definitely adds a twist.
- I love the changes to the characters. I'd say the vast majority of them seem completely justified. I guess you never know till you play the game but still... I find the new moves interesting and zelda, sheik, and olimar in particular will be interesting to play. Hell any of them for that matter.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Are people really still grasping at the straw that is a playable Ridley?

It was obviously confirming him as a boss stage hazard, akin to Yellow Devil.

PlTe

Smash Journeyman
Using the Smash Bros Roster Maker, I have narrowed down what our possible roster could be. Thirteen total newcomers, around 30 or so characters. 43 characters, Brawl had about 36 I believe.
The Newcomer logo above the Mii is for Chorus Men/Marshal. Because I've included that guy's guesses.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Ridley was only second in importance to Megaman for Smash4, so yes, the game's ruined.

The Wii U version won't sell, Sakurai took out THE MAIN CHARACTER OF POKEMON, we got a disconfirmation of the most important remaining Nintendo All-Star but got an unimportant character as a newcomer, the soundtrack sounds like it sucks, Palutena's Temple sucks, PYROSPHERE sucks hard, the new items suck horribly, Rosalina's FS isn't the black hole, Pit's FS isn't the Great Sacred Treasure.

The amazing FSes of Kirby and Megaman are not enough to make up for the load of **** that this Direct was, Smash 4 is going to be one of the worst games of videogame history because Sakurai refused to listen to reason, EVEN IF RIDLEY was really playable after all, that wouldn't make up for him playing a twisted game with the fans' expectations, no game modes, no Final Smash, no music, no awesome fanservice, NOTHING, EVER, EVER, NOTHING WILL MAKE UP FOR THIS, NOTHING! SMASH4 SUCKS AND SAKURAI SUCKS! I just hope that tendinitis hurries up so he can't touch another game ever.
Whatever. Don't buy Smash 4 then. Your loss, not mine, nor of any of the around 300 people here.

If you think Ridley not being in Smash 4 is enough for it to be a bad game, so be it. I don't give a ****. I think you're making too much of a big deal out of this, that's all.

I just hope that tendinitis hurries up so he can't touch another game ever.
And you go from selfish to downright evil.

That statement can only come from someone who clearly has no life experience and absolutely no respect to other people.

That's all I have to say, and I'd like everyone (you, @ D-idara D-idara , included) to drop this subject before this thread is derailed even further.

Croco

Smash Lord
I am NOT a ridley supporter but i have to admit he is likely PLAYABLE!!!
Pikachu is clearly here bigger then Ridley's claws!!!
it's in the shadow.. happens very quickly!

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes
Yeah, thanks god you know more about marketing that people that studied this stuff working there, and more about the difference on the two games. YOU KNOW WHAT? Wii U so dead that Miyamoto himself gonna come to your house and put a knife on your Wii U.

And I'll be playing while the haters gonna be hating!

OHHHH YEAH!
Truly, your maturity endears you. I work in marketing, so I'd rather think I'd have experience in the field. Fact is, this is a bad decision. The 3DS doesn't need the help, whereas the Wii U does, as Nintendo have admitted. Why then they would choose to release the 3DS version first is beyond me. A mutual delay would have been a far more profitable and beneficial decision for the company - not only would both games have released in the holidays, the best time of the year for sales, but it would have encouraged Wii U sales, particularly amongst parents shopping for Christmas gifts. By providing a version earlier and allowing many of the more casual fans (of which there are far more of than more hardcore fans), Nintendo essentially just relegated SSB outside of major system seller status.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
For the sake of being partial, there is still a chance Ridley could be playable. If there really are two different Ridleys just as there are two Toon Links in the Spirit Tracks stage on the 3DS, it's possible if Ridley is playable that the other one will be disabled. Or replaced by winged Alfonzo w/ flame thrower. Super Smash Bros isn't supposed to make sense. Considering how coy Sakurai is being with Ridley, he obviously is aware how popular Ridley is beyond Japan. Wouldn't put it past him to pull a fast one. But as things stand now, it isn't looking too hot for the purple dinosaur.

Either way, we'll probably find out the entire roster sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
O.K., just finished watching the direct, haven't had a chance to read the posts here or anywhere else yet so this has probably been said literally 100 time by now but my god...

Everything's changed.

EVERYTHING!!!!

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
View attachment 11681

@ andimidna andimidna It was a good run, friend. But all things considered, this is way more than I expected to see from her and we should both be glad it happened at all.
I knew without a doubt that she was gonna be AT and I'm totally fine with that. Maybe with another Zelda, it would've been possible, but that's as far as I can see her for now. But damn, that hair power showcase was spot on. Sakurai been improving his "fishing" game I see. And I do like how Zelda and Sheik are even more different. Thank god for no more switches and transformations. I'm all for it.

But I must say, that Greninja was very surprising moment for me so far. I had doubts about him and more than likely he would be a potential Pokeball to rep Gen VI and he's my favorite starter for Gen VI, but I guess he's popular enough to warrant his own slot. A lot better choice than some other blue Pokemon I know but will not be mentioned by me. Also, we need more ninjas anyways.

Last edited:

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
I really hope he can't play videogames ever again, if Ridley fans can't enjoy the game, he shouldn't either.
Oh my god you are sick, get out of the internet. You wanna hurt somebody because your purple alien pterodactyl is not in a video game!!!

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Ridley was only second in importance to Megaman for Smash4, so yes, the game's ruined.

The Wii U version won't sell, Sakurai took out THE MAIN CHARACTER OF POKEMON, we got a disconfirmation of the most important remaining Nintendo All-Star but got an unimportant character as a newcomer, the soundtrack sounds like it sucks, Palutena's Temple sucks, PYROSPHERE sucks hard, the new items suck horribly, Rosalina's FS isn't the black hole, Pit's FS isn't the Great Sacred Treasure.

The amazing FSes of Kirby and Megaman are not enough to make up for the load of **** that this Direct was, Smash 4 is going to be one of the worst games of videogame history because Sakurai refused to listen to reason, EVEN IF RIDLEY was really playable after all, that wouldn't make up for him playing a twisted game with the fans' expectations, no game modes, no Final Smash, no music, no awesome fanservice, NOTHING, EVER, EVER, NOTHING WILL MAKE UP FOR THIS, NOTHING! SMASH4 SUCKS AND SAKURAI SUCKS! I just hope that tendinitis hurries up so he can't touch another game ever.
Aight now lemme break this down.

First statement an opinion. I had characters that I wanted badly to appear as well. They did not. Does that mean the game is ruined? Nope.
Or else smash would of been ruined a long time ago when Goku didn't appear in it.

Wii U version won't sell - You can't see the future. It will end up doing fine.

Sakurai Took out the main char of Pokemon - Pokemon trainer is the main of Pokemon, but he ain't the main pokemon character in smash. It's why he wasn't in melee/64.

Disconfirmation of the most important remaining nintendo all star - Who? I don't see Falcon or Ness around but they aren't disconfirmed iirc.

Unimportant character as a newcomer - For now. He's going to end up being a staple when people get their hands on him.

Soundtrack sounds like it sucks - Take the salt out of your ear. it will sound better.

Palutena's temple sucks - Take it out of your eyes too. it's bad for you

Pyrosphere sucks hard - Refer to the above

Rosalina's final smash - Opinion

Pits final smash - Actually I think this one is amazing.

Gr8 b8 m8, I'd r8 it 8/8

Edit : Of course we get told to drop it after I post the post ;_;

Last edited:

Dairz

Smash Ace
I'm deeply sorry for some people Sakurai has to put up with. Imagine working so hard on something; something loved worldwide, something great, and physically suffering for its sake... only for you and your work to be insulted over an insignificant fact. Can't speak for everybody, but Sakurai has mad respect from me. This direct was amazing, I was grinning the entire time.

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
I was stoked the entire direct, and I kept waiting for my main to shop up in HD, then the Pokemon section at the end came on and I was thinking ooh man Pokemon newcomer... then I saw Charizard on its own and my heart dropped. Out of all the Trainer's Pokemon, I used it the least and reeeally wanted Squirtle back.

Greninja... I don't hate it... but... it just seems like the flavour of the month character... guess we'll see in time.
Yeah, whenever me and my friends play as PT, Charizard is always the least used, but I still knew that if any of PT's pokes would get in on their own it would be him hands down. Hopefully he's been buffed a little in this game, but even when he was shown he was using some moves I didn't recognize so I'm optimistic.

As for Greninja, he's pretty popular among newer fans and makes the most sense as a fighter out of almost any new pokemon. I was like 90% sure if we got a rep from the generation it would be him. He looks really fun to play as to say the least.

pitthekit

Smash Ace
Well, the hitstun cancelling technique returned from brawl.
People can now cancel hitstun with an air dodge or attack much sooner than expected( what is the point of having hitstun if you can just cancel it frame 14-24?)

Well, on the bright side, if the 3ds version has anyone game breaking bugs Cough hitstun cancel Cough they can get fixed on the wii u release.

Combos add a lot to the risk vs reward aspect of smash.

JCDied4U

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sieger
Look at it this way, if both games were going to release at the same time in let's say...fall or winter, we'd have to wait until then for more/the rest of the character reveals.

When we get our mitts on the 3DS version, we'll see what the full roster is after playing around with it (since both versions have the same roster) as opposed to waiting longer for a dual version release.
And then all the hype will be gone and the WiiU version will die a lonely death. Sounds like a great plan to me.

I like Greninja more than Mewtwo.
Said no one ever. I'm just kidding, still a better character than WFT I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Greninja rose quickly from being the water starter no one wanted when it was leaked to being a favorite from fans and the developers of the game

Not to mention his secret ability is just awesome

I love how a water starter is getting the attention for once

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
The Wii U version could be pushed toward holiday season in order to encourage purchase of more Wii U systems (which sales are horrible for).

andimidna

Smash Master
Not sure if anyone noticed, but Diddy Kong’s icon showed Brawl’s artwork in ALL instances that Diddy was shown, insteas of his Sm4sh art.

Possible tag team with Dixie?
I have to go check this out...
PS, if anyone is wondering, I support K Rool now.
The kritters were all I needed to believe!
I still want this Dixie team thing though...

Top Bottom