• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros. 4 Analysis Videos (Now Not a Forgotten Thread!)

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Well if it is then its like a dashing with the reflector shield, I'm not sure how I would counter it without dodging pit forward special. Seems OP IMO if true.
I barely played Brawl at all, but I remember that Pit's old side special already reflected projectiles. This isn't new. It just has fire and less AYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYA

SamRatsbane

Smash Rookie
I was on the "Ridley for playable" hype-train for a really long time after that direct, just because they only showed his shadow and didn't show him doing anything or being big, and it'd be completely Sakurai's style to go "there's boss characters on some stages" and show Ridley's shadow, and then turn around and go "oh, no, but not that guy, he's a playable character" months later; the single issue I've spotted is, he flaps his wings a bunch of times. Like, really a whole bunch of times. If he gets multiple jumps in the air like Charizard did in Brawl, that's still way too many. The only way I could see that working is if his recovery move's something like Pit's one from Brawl, and that doesn't seem really likely to me.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I was on the "Ridley for playable" hype-train for a really long time after that direct, just because they only showed his shadow and didn't show him doing anything or being big, and it'd be completely Sakurai's style to go "there's boss characters on some stages" and show Ridley's shadow, and then turn around and go "oh, no, but not that guy, he's a playable character" months later; the single issue I've spotted is, he flaps his wings a bunch of times. Like, really a whole bunch of times. If he gets multiple jumps in the air like Charizard did in Brawl, that's still way too many. The only way I could see that working is if his recovery move's something like Pit's one from Brawl, and that doesn't seem really likely to me.
Yeah, that's the one thing I noticed early on that kind of made me accept the stage boss idea: Ridley flaps his wings wayyyyy too many times in that video to be doing air jumps. Sure, there are ways the video could be doctored up, so it doesn't prove anything, but it also doesn't make me believe Ridley will be a character.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
That, and it's entirely possible Sakurai's not teasing a mere boss encounter because he's a jerk, but because the animations and whatnot aren't finished. Boss battles could be Wii U exclusive, which could be a reason why he's merely being teased.

There's also the possibility he's stage hazard AND playable, with a different Ridley being the one we wreck with. But I don't want to get my hopes up and count on that.

WIZRD.Pro

Smash Apprentice
Amazing vid dude! I'd personally love a competitive possibility overview character by character. Basically a Moveset overview and metagame prediction per character. And with the Smash 4 demos at Best Buy coming up it'd be quite amazing timing.

Also, something Project: M related is always appreciated. Though I don't know what. Maybe a tier list/matchup vid? IDK just spitballing

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
I barely played Brawl at all, but I remember that Pit's old side special already reflected projectiles. This isn't new. It just has fire and less AYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYA
But dat new side special of his.........IS MUCH FASTER THAN HIS OLDER SIDE SPECIAL & MORE DISTANCE TRAVELED ++++++ ITS AN UPPERCUT SENDING ENEMIES FLYING TO DO PREFORM COMBOS??????

its insane.......... 0.0

I smell OP.........unless...............unless..................unless..............................................................................it has a slow recovery time (as in back to stand animation after preforming the special move). So him missing that special move could screw him over.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
That, and it's entirely possible Sakurai's not teasing a mere boss encounter because he's a jerk, but because the animations and whatnot aren't finished. Boss battles could be Wii U exclusive, which could be a reason why he's merely being teased.

There's also the possibility he's stage hazard AND playable, with a different Ridley being the one we wreck with. But I don't want to get my hopes up and count on that.
Y'know... aren't Kotake and Koume in the 3DS version, though? Because otherwise, y'know, I hadn't considered that bosses could be WiiU only. That would actually be kinda interesting! Dunno if the Witches count as bosses, though.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Y'know... aren't Kotake and Koume in the 3DS version, though? Because otherwise, y'know, I hadn't considered that bosses could be WiiU only. That would actually be kinda interesting! Dunno if the Witches count as bosses, though.
The Dark Lord most likely is a boss.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
The Ridley video was very well-done.

EDIT: Oh, forgot to mention, that Villager moonwalk clip is Dash -> Dash turn -> Walk turn.

Last edited:

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
He's probably just a flying character like that flying guy in MvC3. Kind of like the opposite of Little Mac. Best used in the air, can fly around for long periods of time.

Last edited:

SamRatsbane

Smash Rookie
He's probably just a flying character like that flying guy in MvC3. Kind of like the opposite of Little Mac. Best used in the air, can fly around for long periods of time.
Guy's a real heavyweight, though. I mean, Ridley's really big. Let's none of us pretend Ridley isn't super-big, and big characters like that dude mostly aren't easy to knock around and send flying. Maybe he's really light with a huge hitbox and his obscene recovery game's the payoff for that, but most of the time big characters like that pay for not being easy to throw around by having difficulty getting back to someplace safe. Charizard's really the biggest oddity in that area, how did they balance him out in Brawl?

Caysekong

Smash Rookie
With that said in the last video about the big guns being shown at e3, I expect Falco, Falcon, Jiggs, Ness, Mewtwo and Ridley.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Amazing vid dude! I'd personally love a competitive possibility overview character by character. Basically a Moveset overview and metagame prediction per character. And with the Smash 4 demos at Best Buy coming up it'd be quite amazing timing.

Also, something Project: M related is always appreciated. Though I don't know what. Maybe a tier list/matchup vid? IDK just spitballing
Thank you! I was actually preparing for what I'm gonna do for these BestBuy events, probably will get a cam and record what I can, as well as find other videos of gameplay. It's gonna be a hectic time for me during E3 with all the info we'll be getting!

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
Thank you! I was actually preparing for what I'm gonna do for these BestBuy events, probably will get a cam and record what I can, as well as find other videos of gameplay. It's gonna be a hectic time for me during E3 with all the info we'll be getting!
Try to record every character moves, would be awesome. I'm sure you would get a lot of views for it as well. Cuz mostly we will see gameplay of the game from other sources, but I doubt anyone will go through all the character moves.

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I really appreciate these videos, thank you. I found the competitive analysis online while randomly searching through smashbros content on youtube, and loved what I found! Glad to see this got posted. Good job, and I hope to see more in the future. I can't tell you how ****ing happy I am see that hitstun, good gawd. Here's hoping they don't change their minds on that one at the last minute! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I came back here and noticed a complaint about you "not being objective" and "not treating both sides equally."

I praise the fact that you address the counterpoints, but systematically refute them due to their innate stupidity and/or subjectiveness. "Being objective" doesn't equate to situating yourself in some Centrist Echo Chamber and claiming that every argument leveled at the character merits as much consideration as any other. "Ridley could work if XYZ were to happen" is sane and rational, whereas "Ridley can never, ever work because XYZ" is...not.

This isn't the U.S. media, where you just parrot talking points and pretend they're all 100% valid. And that's why your videos are great.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
I came back here and noticed a complaint about you "not being objective" and "not treating both sides equally."

I praise the fact that you address the counterpoints, but systematically refute them due to their innate stupidity and/or subjectiveness. "Being objective" doesn't equate to situating yourself in some Centrist Echo Chamber and claiming that every argument leveled at the character merits as much consideration as any other. "Ridley could work if XYZ were to happen" is sane and rational, whereas "Ridley can never, ever work because XYZ" is...not.

This isn't the U.S. media, where you just parrot talking points and pretend they're all 100% valid. And that's why your videos are great.
So when I bring up K. Rool in my next video, I hope you aren't mad ;)

Just teasing, thanks for the support. I try my best to maintain that non-position. The only reason it appeared as though I was on one side is because there weren't really many positive points that could be refuted. I knew the outcome of my argument from the start, but when making the video I made sure I started from nothing and worked to find the most solid conclusion given the evidence.

Last edited:

Finalefireworker

Smash Rookie
Finally took the time to watch the first video, which was an excellent analysis of all the kinds of things I had hoped it would be.

Boy though, you seem to habitually mispronounce several things. Halberd and Palutena stand out especially.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
So do you have an idea of when your next video will be out? Your analysises (Is there a plural for Analysis?) are great and I need more!

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
I'm making a mini-video thing now to pass time for my next one, which should be up around the weekend.

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
Just watched your Ridley video. Nice to know somebody else has the exact same opinions I do.
Hot viewing. 12/10, would watch again.

Ivysalt

Smash Cadet
I appreciate the objective assessment delivered with a whimsical tone. It almost perfectly echos my thoughts about Ridley. I always thought the best analogy of the community advocating for Ridley was something along the lines of a child telling their parents that the only thing they wanted for Christmas was a new bicycle. Whereas the parents periodically drop hints like, "gee, a bicycle eh? Not sure if santa can fit a bicycle down the chimney (wink and coy smile)" and "Oh! We forgot that you wanted a bicycle, and now the stores are all closed, oh no! (more winks and coy smiles)." Then on Christmas day, there is no bicycle and the parents say, "didn't you hear us? We said it we forgot about buying one and it wouldn't fit under the tree anyway. Now, go do your chores and clean the gutters." It just will not happen. I also suspect Ridley will be announced right before launch (whereas Sakuri buys a small island with the hysteria-driven profits) and personally think that he will be a stage hazard as well, albeit in a different incarnation (more probably with the original red Ridley as playable). For what it is worth as well, I could care less about him as a character and also am of the opinion he would just be a unique move-set that adds to the collective strategy and that more non-humanoid non-bipeds should be represented, especially since Yoshi and Bowser were made to stand more upright.

I also just made this the other day to satisfy my love of infographics and thought it might be appreciated here. If Ridley were included, he would be approximately 8 ft (original Metroid), shorter than Bowser and about the same height as Ganon (not shown). Link to full with download option.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I appreciate the objective assessment delivered with a whimsical tone. It almost perfectly echos my thoughts about Ridley. I always thought the best analogy of the community advocating for Ridley was something along the lines of a child telling their parents that the only thing they wanted for Christmas was a new bicycle. Whereas the parents periodically drop hints like, "gee, a bicycle eh? Not sure if santa can fit a bicycle down the chimney (wink and coy smile)" and "Oh! We forgot that you wanted a bicycle, and now the stores are all closed, oh no! (more winks and coy smiles)." Then on Christmas day, there is no bicycle and the parents say, "didn't you hear us? We said it we forgot about buying one and it wouldn't fit under the tree anyway. Now, go do your chores and clean the gutters." It just will not happen. I also suspect Ridley will be announced right before launch (whereas Sakuri buys a small island with the hysteria-driven profits) and personally think that he will be a stage hazard as well, albeit in a different incarnation (more probably with the original red Ridley as playable). For what it is worth as well, I could care less about him as a character and also am of the opinion he would just be a unique move-set that adds to the collective strategy and that more non-humanoid non-bipeds should be represented, especially since Yoshi and Bowser were made to stand more upright.

I also just made this the other day to satisfy my love of infographics and thought it might be appreciated here. If Ridley were included, he would be approximately 8 ft (original Metroid), shorter than Bowser and about the same height as Ganon (not shown). Link to full with download option.

I agree which is one of the reasons I be very upset if he is not in. You don't dangle a wanted character for a year only to crush everyones hopes in the end, unless you ignorant or a ****.

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
This was a good video. Not sure if there will be any more after E3, but I hope you keep doing them.

R0Y

Smash Master
Ridley's reflection:

Seriously though, I want to believe.

I want to believe. I want to believe. I want to believe. I want to believe. I want to believe. I want to believe. I want to believe. I want to believe. Make it so Sakurai.

Last edited:

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Eh I scrapped the mini-video, for those of you who cared. I would of talked about the info on E3 stuff like the tourney and playable Best Buy demos but, i felt it's a little late for them being a week off.

Next big video is hopefully gonna be up by Sunday.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Eh I scrapped the mini-video, for those of you who cared. I would of talked about the info on E3 stuff like the tourney and playable Best Buy demos but, i felt it's a little late for them being a week off.

Next big video is hopefully gonna be up by Sunday.
What's it gonna be on?

Give us a hint. :3

But dat new side special of his.........IS MUCH FASTER THAN HIS OLDER SIDE SPECIAL & MORE DISTANCE TRAVELED ++++++ ITS AN UPPERCUT SENDING ENEMIES FLYING TO DO PREFORM COMBOS??????

its insane.......... 0.0

I smell OP.........unless...............unless..................unless..............................................................................it has a slow recovery time (as in back to stand animation after preforming the special move). So him missing that special move could screw him over.
The move has too much cool down to be a combo starter, finisher maybe. As far as I can see it will be most useful against zoning and tech chases. Since it can absorb hits it seems like a great punish for a get up attack.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I've already watched the Ridley video a couple of days ago, but not on this website.

Now that I know that you're the one who made it, I just want to let you know that I want to thank you for helping me get interested in this game again. When I found out the news about Ridley from other fans, I didn't know how to express my disbelief and anger at Sakurai for blatantly teasing Ridley for almost a year, without referring to him by name or even implying that Pyrosphere had hazards of any kind, giving us fans false hope that he could have been playable after 15 years of fan requests around the world. But your video had sound reasoning, especially for someone who's indifferent to Ridley's inclusion, which makes it seem even better.

It's true that it would be unprofessional (and insane, from my viewpoint) for Nintendo/Sakurai, to deliberately tease a highly popular character before dumping him into a non-playable role after months of waiting, but considering Nintendo's ill-judged business choices these past few years, I wouldn't put it past them unfortunately. A Ridley reveal would definitely be possible at E3, but even without the Direct spectacle he still has a lot going against him. What about the cases of Pac-Man and Mii? And Palutena, Chrom, Shulk, or *gag* the Chorus Kids? There's also the (very likely IMO) that we'll get another unexpected character like the Wii Fit Trainer.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
What's it gonna be on?

Give us a hint. :3
Hint, shmint - i'll just tell ya. It's about my wager for what the character roster may look like. So a roster speculation. Let's me go over a few things people have wanted me to talk about more efficiently.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I'd subscribe if I had a Youtube account. My old one had its password changed years ago... I'll be looking forward to your next one. Based on your last two vids, ought to be very enjoyable.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Congratz on the view count buddy.

One day I'll see you hitting the 100,000's. I'd mention millions if only Smash videos were that grand in scale ignoring Wombo Combo.

Maybe if Sm4sh is successful you'll hit millions if you continue your content after release ;)

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Congratz on the view count buddy.

One day I'll see you hitting the 100,000's. I'd mention millions if only Smash videos were that grand in scale ignoring Wombo Combo.

Maybe if Sm4sh is successful you'll hit millions if you continue your content after release ;)
Gosh, like thanks. I'm seriously only a smasher like everyone else. I just really wanted to contribute to the community creatively too. If I EVER get that amount of views that'd be unreal.

BTW, new video guys :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8w4oN8cCN8

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
I watch this video. I look at your reasoning for Dixie over K. Rool. I cry myself to sleep because a shallow promotion over celebrating Donkey Kong's history sounds too much like what Sakurai would do with the DK franchise.

#NoRepesctForTheKong

Edit: Also, cutting Snake? Come on man. Even you admitted Kojima's statement was probably meaningless. And it's not like Snake has never been on a Nintendo console. Hell, his series got a game release on the 3DS around when Sakurai started work on the game! He's practically a Smash icon simply due to him being the first (and almost only) 3rd party fighter in the series! That and cutting Snake would mean cutting an entire series from Smash Bros, which even Sakurai knows would just ****ing suck.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Good video as always.

Thoughts on the Gematsu leak?

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
First thing I'm gonna say about you video, I love that you even acknowledge Sparkster, even in passing. PEOPLE KNOW WHO SPARKSTER IS?! But, if not Snake, I'd say next in line for the throne of Konami's Smash Bros rep would probably be Simon Belmont. Rocket Knight series is very niche. Everyone and their mom knows Castlevania. Rocket Knight Adventures is highly awesome though.

Second, that's repeatedly Matthew. Not Isaac. But whatever. Same character basically. ;)

As for your predictions, the cuts seems reasonable. I don't really see them cutting Lucas either. I'm less convinced Ike will return though. All good newcomer predictions . Palutena, Chrom and Pac-Man all may as well be confirmed at this point. I'll pretty convinced we'll see Dixie and Mii, and Shulk sdoes not seem unlikely at all either. I kinda doubt Paper Mario since we got Rosalina, but he'd be a logical 'nother Mario character. While I'd be delighted to see any of them, I'm less sold on Isaac, Mewtwo or Ridley, but well see. And then there's that wildcard that NONE one will be able to predict that will p*ss everyone off, because Sakurai is, as we all know batsh*t goofy

Great video!

Last edited:
Top Bottom