• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros. 4 Analysis Videos (Now Not a Forgotten Thread!)

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Hey all, I've made a new video! It's in some purple dragon, idk who he is.

Welp, enjoy :)

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
18/10. I love your sense of humor. Would gladly watch more videos.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Nice videos, hope to see some more from you in the future. Subscribed.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
I like how hes much better than Games Radar.
Games Radar is trash, no joke.

This guy is like our JonTron of Smash, lol. I love it.

Where were you at Pax East Relax Alax? I was waiting at your panel :(

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Just popping in to say, that was the most even-handed Ridley video I have ever seen. I appreciate that doubley, since I, like you, are rather indifferent to Ridley's playability. The astounding thing? After seeing your video, I actually started to care about Ridley for the first time, ever. Unintentional side-effect!

Please cut back on the swearing, since Smashboards does try to keep it family-friendly. You're like one of the family, after all! My only criticism for both videos, so great job!

C-could you do a video for Mewtwo? I probably know, like, all the info for and against his inclusion at this point, but... I just really enjoy listening to you talk about stuff! And Mewtwo is my favorite topic! He's also up there with Ridley as far as popularity goes, I think.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
What's a Pax and an East ? Loljk

Am I too Jontron-ey? I'll admit, I do have the same humor as him, but if it's too ripped off I'll know where to draw the line. My core of my being/humor/self is just awkwardly funny humor with a scent of sarcasm.

Next video will probably be on likely newcomers. I'm thinking of doing a roster prediction, expect no bias or feelings clouding it, moreso a rationalized view of what the team may do.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Next video will probably be on likely newcomers. I'm thinking of doing a roster prediction, expect no bias or feelings clouding it, moreso a rationalized view of what the team may do.
Sounds good.

Hate to be "that guy," but while it is possible to make a report without much in the way of feelings, for all intents and purposes, it's virtually impossible to make a report without bias. Can anyone really claim to have no viewpoint? You can keep your views to yourself, certainly, but you still have to filter the world around you through your worldview, no matter what. For instance, I know some news outlets like to tout their supposed lack of bias, but it is usually plainly hypocritical on their part to do so based on their reporting. And likewise, an editorial by nature is solidly biased. That doesn't mean it's bad or tainted! Viewpoint and bias are valuable. We're human, after all, not robots <3

I apologize for this virtually pointless vignett (this is a video game forum, after all), but I do enjoy talking about such things.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Am I too Jontron-ey? I'll admit, I do have the same humor as him, but if it's too ripped off I'll know where to draw the line. My core of my being/humor/self is just awkwardly funny humor with a scent of sarcasm.
Your style of humour actually reminds me more of Jon's partner in crime, Egoraptor. Whilst your narration appears to be similar to GregzillaGT. Not that there's anything wrong with either, I love both of those guys.
Now if someone's noticed that all of the Youtubers I just mentioned are related to Game Grumps, you'd be right. Aside from perhaps the "great great great" joke from your analysis video, this has all got to be concidence surely. But at the end of the day, none of that matters. I love both of your Sm4sh videos and I subscribed. Nice work :)

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
Great job. The video actually had content, rather than just regurgitating the source material. You would think this should be a standard...
Also, what editor do you use might I ask.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
The ridley video was a work of art more stuff i didn't think about that shadow

I hope you can do a mewtwo version as well

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Sounds good.

Hate to be "that guy," but while it is possible to make a report without much in the way of feelings, for all intents and purposes, it's virtually impossible to make a report without bias. Can anyone really claim to have no viewpoint? You can keep your views to yourself, certainly, but you still have to filter the world around you through your worldview, no matter what. For instance, I know some news outlets like to tout their supposed lack of bias, but it is usually plainly hypocritical on their part to do so based on their reporting. And likewise, an editorial by nature is solidly biased. That doesn't mean it's bad or tainted! Viewpoint and bias are valuable. We're human, after all, not robots <3

I apologize for this virtually pointless vignett (this is a video game forum, after all), but I do enjoy talking about such things.
URK I just got out of school and philosophy class let me be! xD

I understand you though, I just mean try not to say "Oh I think Paper Mario will be in because, well, he's awesome" even though I really want him in. But I will speak of characters I would like to see. Just not so much say that they may be in.

Great job. The video actually had content, rather than just regurgitating the source material. You would think this should be a standard...
Also, what editor do you use might I ask.
Sony Vegas Pro 11. Although I may change because of the quality taking a hit in some areas of the videos, but i've used it all my editing life (minus my early early days pre-Brawl with WMM). It's quite simple to learn how to use.

Your style of humour actually reminds me more of Jon's partner in crime, Egoraptor. Whilst your narration appears to be similar to GregzillaGT. Not that there's anything wrong with either, I love both of those guys.
Now if someone's noticed that all of the Youtubers I just mentioned are related to Game Grumps, you'd be right. Aside from perhaps the "great great great" joke from your analysis video, this has all got to be concidence surely. But at the end of the day, none of that matters. I love both of your Sm4sh videos and I subscribed. Nice work :)
I used to love GameGrumps when Jon was around (not to be a part of that group, I still watch but some of the magic it once had isn't there). And I didn't even intend the "Great, great, great" joke to relate to that! Haha xD

Maybe it's coincidence, I mean I won't lie and say I'm not influenced by who I watch - we all are. But I watch more then them, and then some, so i guess a few sprinkles come from them, totally unintentionally mind you. I wrote the Ridley script pretty quickly because I knew what to say and only edited a bit, then when I recorded some of my own tendencies sprinkled onto what I said.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
What's a Pax and an East ? Loljk

Actually it's probably the editing itself that reminds me of Jon.Not to mention you used a clip of him in your first video. Nothing you can do about really. Spinny text and twirly jpegs are all the rage these days, lol.

I have to give you my utmost respect, though. You quoted my man Shokio. He's a little biased, I know, but I love the guy.

I'm not gonna bombard you with demands, but I want to put down some suggestions for future updates.

Possible character specific properties(Bowser armor? :])
Wall infinites not existing possibly making walled stages legal
Top 10's
Analysis on Sakurai's possible involvement in dissecting Project M
Lloyd Irving(That ones for me :))
Greater knock back on throws(N64 throws)
If air dodging was removed entirely

That's just some things that came up in my head. Most of them are pointless and things I just want to see on YouTube, lol.

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
Sony Vegas Pro 11. Although I may change because of the quality taking a hit in some areas of the videos, but i've used it all my editing life (minus my early early days pre-Brawl with WMM). It's quite simple to learn how to use.
I had an inkling. I use Sony Vegas Pro 10 a lot.
One part I noticed. During your Sheik segment, you had Snake twirl around for a comedic effect, but he clipped an invisible border when he expanded. When you put an image onto the timeline, it sets the aspect ratio of the frame to be equal to the image's dimensions, if you drag and make that box bigger, the image will not clip the edges when you move it around or expand it. Something to keep in mind for future videos if you stick with Vegas. :)

Last edited:

DangerDamage

Smash Journeyman
You should make a video for Krystal that consists of an intro, a graphic of a Krystal, a giant "NO" after that, and end the video.

Man that'd be pretty cool.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I would like to see a video that is not related to Smash but rather to PM. How ithas affected the community, the success it has gain, why it did what it did, explaining that the M in Project M doesn't actually stand for Melee (Don't ask me what it stands for, as I don't know, I just know the PMBR members have corrected members calling the game Project Melee), ect...

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'd like you to talk about your thoughts on stages.

Also "character rivalries" like Dixie vs K.Rool and Isaac vs Shulk.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Haven't watched it but answer me this, How likely do you think R.O.B. is?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Your video was good, but I don't think it covered everything, and there were one or two mistakes (such as Rosalina being taller in Smash Bros. Through model comparisions in 3D modelling programs, it can be deduced that she's nearly 8 feet tall in Galaxy. This is forgetting the fact that it is implied she can change size, when at the end of Mario Galaxy, she is a giant, and in Galaxy 2, her "Cosmic Spirit" is slightly taller than her regular model in the game. Check the "Rosalina's Height" thread in the Rosalina section if you're curious for more specific info). The mistakes themselves were kinda irrelevant to the Ridley debate anyway though, so it's nothing to lose sleep over.

I know your intentions were good, but I do think you were putting a bias towards the "he's in the game" side the whole video. You talked about the arguments for him much more than arguments against him. It's true that you can't be expected to go through everything, but you kind of set the bar too high when you said you would present all of the facts and that there was no bias involved. But you did put a lot of focus on the arguments supporting him, and in a lot of cases, did not address counter-arguments to the arguments supporting him. While you did the opposite for the arguments that go against his chances (some of the counter-arguments here were good, some of which were a bit weak or at least required more detail to really mean anything). And I felt the end was edging into "pandering" territory as a result.

I'm not going to go through the video and write an essay criticising/praising each part, because I don't want to spoil things for others in the thread, and my criticism is not so much that you didn't address everything, but that you set a bar at the beginning that you did not meet in the end. If you didn't emphasise the "objectiveness" of the video and how it's unbiased, I wouldn't have this criticism even if you never even touched the counter-arguments, because you are entitled to think Ridley will appear and you backed that up well enough, and your reasons for that were not bad ones. But because you set a high bar at the beginning of the video, I feel people are going to misinterpret this as more than it is. I think this could have been easily fixed by saying that you think Ridley is going to appear at E3 at the beginning as well as the end of the video. I think that would have been better because, at the end of the day, I don't think your bias came from being attached to the character or anything as you stated, but you probably just found it easier to talk about points supporting Ridley (and it is easier to do that), and at the end of the day, your video will get more positive attention (like it is) if you tell people what they want to hear. Therefore, stating that you think Ridley will be at E3 from the get go makes your entire video stronger.

TL;DR: Your video was kinda weak in the objectivity field/treating both sides equally, but since it presents the arguments for Ridley well, while the arguments against are only sort of glossed over, you may as well have just presented this as a well backed up video FOR his inclusion, rather than a video that covers both sides equally. Especially since you were telling people to go visit the this forum anyway (so people who wanted to hear about arguments against his inclusion could just go to those forums instead of sitting through the video. It would probably end up better for your comments section too!). It would not have made you less credible in the slightest. Your arguments for his inclusion were solid, but your arguments against weren't, and due to you saying that you were unbiased, I feel people are going to get the wrong impression and think that counter-arguments to Ridley's inclusion are just weak all around, since they didn't get much elaboration.

That being said, it was an entertaining video and I think you should keep up that charisma. It's really refreshing to hear someone talk about the topics you do, and not come across as so deadpan serious about it!

And for reference, I myself am completely neutral about Ridley, and don't really discuss the subject, only read what others say on it occasionally. I watched the video less because I cared about the subject matter, and more because I like what you do.

Prototype

Smash Apprentice
Great video. Very enjoyable and informative.

Roster prediction next sounds good - I'd like to hear what you think. Keep it up!

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well unrelated but this should get the hype over 9000

E3 confirmed a tournament and heres a nuclearer bomb

SSB4..........demo...........confirmed..............for.........june
At best buys

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Hey all, I've made a new video! It's in some purple dragon, idk who he is.

Welp, enjoy :)
Great video bud
im still neutral on ridly but i seriously wants some villains and would prefer his other m appearance. (And that quote from shokio hilarious i watch his vids all the time.)
But on the note of what to do next.
I think your humor and video style are best represented through game reviews (or reviews in general) speculation and perhaps eve n lets play witch i think would be awesome.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Oh lackadaisy we do know ridley's alfonso

This guy

The vorash another lava world boss in other m does this look good

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Oh lackadaisy we do know ridley's alfonso

This guy

The vorash another lava world boss in other m does this look good
Vorash can't act as a replacement for Ridley as a boss, since Ridley acts completely different, unless they're willing to make two unique boss battles, at which point they'd probably just never have made Ridley a boss to begin with due to the extra work involved.

At this point the only way they can possibly pull off a playable Ridley is having Other Ridley (aka the clone) be the stage hazard, which he is, and then introduce the original Ridley (Metroid, SM, Prime 1 & 3) as a playable character, it's the absolute only way I can see a way out of this.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Vorash can't act as a replacement for Ridley as a boss, since Ridley acts completely different, unless they're willing to make two unique boss battles, at which point they'd probably just never have made Ridley a boss to begin with due to the extra work involved.

At this point the only way they can possibly pull off a playable Ridley is having Other Ridley (aka the clone) be the stage hazard, which he is, and then introduce the original Ridley (Metroid, SM, Prime 1 & 3) as a playable character, it's the absolute only way I can see a way out of this.
Did you watch the video?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Did you watch the video?
Yes, and my post didn't have any relation to it, it was only in relation to your post. I don't completely agree with the video either, mostly in regards to Sakurai being such a light-hearted guy and Ridley's chances, though I do appreciate it and think it was well put together.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Yes, and my post didn't have any relation to it, it was only in relation to your post. I don't completely agree with the video either, mostly in regards to Sakurai being such a light-hearted guy and Ridley's chances, though I do appreciate it and think it was well put together.
Oh ok its just by the post earlier and how everyone thought about the video you diden't see it

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Well unrelated but this should get the hype over 9000

E3 confirmed a tournament and heres a nuclearer bomb

SSB4..........demo...........confirmed..............for.........june
At best buys
Dude, cover the BestBuy event and you got yourself some novelty coverage many YouTubers will likely not do! Especially with how engaging your style is. :)

Your videos are very much great. Makes my spine tingle with much excitement! Totally will keep track of your videos, but I'm sorry I can't sub because I'm a vagabond on the tube.

I've only watched the Hardcore Analysis so far and I'm just happy (and relieved at many points, LOL) that someone made a video catering to the technical aspects of Smash. I may concrit you later, although don't quote me on that.

Also, a technical detail many people haven't noticed:
-Did you see how long it takes for Little Mac to get K.O.'d by Samus's Zero Laser compared to Lucario? Sakurai mentions how he can shrug off attacks, most of which shown having low or moderate damage and knockback, but dang looks like Mac has an unususal amount of tankiness for a character of his size and weight.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Your video was good, but I don't think it covered everything, and there were one or two mistakes (such as Rosalina being taller in Smash Bros. Through model comparisions in 3D modelling programs, it can be deduced that she's nearly 8 feet tall in Galaxy. This is forgetting the fact that it is implied she can change size, when at the end of Mario Galaxy, she is a giant, and in Galaxy 2, her "Cosmic Spirit" is slightly taller than her regular model in the game. Check the "Rosalina's Height" thread in the Rosalina section if you're curious for more specific info). The mistakes themselves were kinda irrelevant to the Ridley debate anyway though, so it's nothing to lose sleep over.

I know your intentions were good, but I do think you were putting a bias towards the "he's in the game" side the whole video. You talked about the arguments for him much more than arguments against him. It's true that you can't be expected to go through everything, but you kind of set the bar too high when you said you would present all of the facts and that there was no bias involved. But you did put a lot of focus on the arguments supporting him, and in a lot of cases, did not address counter-arguments to the arguments supporting him. While you did the opposite for the arguments that go against his chances (some of the counter-arguments here were good, some of which were a bit weak or at least required more detail to really mean anything). And I felt the end was edging into "pandering" territory as a result.

I'm not going to go through the video and write an essay criticising/praising each part, because I don't want to spoil things for others in the thread, and my criticism is not so much that you didn't address everything, but that you set a bar at the beginning that you did not meet in the end. If you didn't emphasise the "objectiveness" of the video and how it's unbiased, I wouldn't have this criticism even if you never even touched the counter-arguments, because you are entitled to think Ridley will appear and you backed that up well enough, and your reasons for that were not bad ones. But because you set a high bar at the beginning of the video, I feel people are going to misinterpret this as more than it is. I think this could have been easily fixed by saying that you think Ridley is going to appear at E3 at the beginning as well as the end of the video. I think that would have been better because, at the end of the day, I don't think your bias came from being attached to the character or anything as you stated, but you probably just found it easier to talk about points supporting Ridley (and it is easier to do that), and at the end of the day, your video will get more positive attention (like it is) if you tell people what they want to hear. Therefore, stating that you think Ridley will be at E3 from the get go makes your entire video stronger.

TL;DR: Your video was kinda weak in the objectivity field/treating both sides equally, but since it presents the arguments for Ridley well, while the arguments against are only sort of glossed over, you may as well have just presented this as a well backed up video FOR his inclusion, rather than a video that covers both sides equally. Especially since you were telling people to go visit the this forum anyway (so people who wanted to hear about arguments against his inclusion could just go to those forums instead of sitting through the video. It would probably end up better for your comments section too!). It would not have made you less credible in the slightest. Your arguments for his inclusion were solid, but your arguments against weren't, and due to you saying that you were unbiased, I feel people are going to get the wrong impression and think that counter-arguments to Ridley's inclusion are just weak all around, since they didn't get much elaboration.

That being said, it was an entertaining video and I think you should keep up that charisma. It's really refreshing to hear someone talk about the topics you do, and not come across as so deadpan serious about it!

And for reference, I myself am completely neutral about Ridley, and don't really discuss the subject, only read what others say on it occasionally. I watched the video less because I cared about the subject matter, and more because I like what you do.
Maybe the video had more pro-Ridley arguments because arguments againist him make no sense 99% of the time?

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy

Well thank you for the critique, I appreciate it. But you are correct, It had more an edge positively, and perhaps it came out that way unintentionally. In m,y scripting i went through the negative arguments and why they were presented and tried to rationalize them, which more often then not came to a faulty conclusion that couldn't be supported wholly. I guess i didn't present them well enough as you said and because I skimmed so briefly over them, it took a more 'pro-Ridley' turn. And for that I apologize, i was trying to make the video as efficiently as possible in regards to time and make sure it wasn't so long (I drafted it to be about 8 minutes, but additions made it longer! ). I didn't want to bore people with a 20 minute video on Ridley, so that may be where the error lies. Also, perhaps directing them to Smashboards was not so favorable as there is bias here, but you have to admit that there is more credibility here for knowing the argument, I had to research a few points for the video because I'm not as familiar with it.

All in all, I'm happy with the product, and again, thank you for the criticism, I like knowing where I go wrong so I can do better in the future. I especially knew criticism was coming because the Ridley argument is something everyone varies on.

Also, in regards to Rosalina, thanks for correcting me. I did some snooping and came to the conclusion the Smash Bros iteration of her was taller. I forget where I looked but I'll take your word for it.

Vickand

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vickand
Great videos! By the way I also think Ridley is going to be playable characters, in fact, I think at E3 Sakurai will tease Ridley being a Boss again and then the reveal trailer will show Ridley playable and interntet will explode

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Well thank you for the critique, I appreciate it. But you are correct, It had more an edge positively, and perhaps it came out that way unintentionally. In m,y scripting i went through the negative arguments and why they were presented and tried to rationalize them, which more often then not came to a faulty conclusion that couldn't be supported wholly. I guess i didn't present them well enough as you said and because I skimmed so briefly over them, it took a more 'pro-Ridley' turn. And for that I apologize, i was trying to make the video as efficiently as possible in regards to time and make sure it wasn't so long (I drafted it to be about 8 minutes, but additions made it longer! ). I didn't want to bore people with a 20 minute video on Ridley, so that may be where the error lies. Also, perhaps directing them to Smashboards was not so favorable as there is bias here, but you have to admit that there is more credibility here for knowing the argument, I had to research a few points for the video because I'm not as familiar with it.

All in all, I'm happy with the product, and again, thank you for the criticism, I like knowing where I go wrong so I can do better in the future. I especially knew criticism was coming because the Ridley argument is something everyone varies on.

Also, in regards to Rosalina, thanks for correcting me. I did some snooping and came to the conclusion the Smash Bros iteration of her was taller. I forget where I looked but I'll take your word for it.
No worries. I guess the best way to summarise is that you were spreading yourself too thin. You're one guy, so you shouldn't worry about getting everything perfect when it comes to tackling two sides of an argument. Maybe in the future, if you're tackling a topic with "sides", you should just focus on the own you lean towards more from the get go? Especially in a case like this, where the debate is years old. No one video could possibly tackle both sides properly without being way too long!

Regardless, keep up the awesome work and I look forward to the next video! I'll drop a suggestion for a topic if I come up with one.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
No worries. I guess the best way to summarise is that you were spreading yourself too thin. You're one guy, so you shouldn't worry about getting everything perfect when it comes to tackling two sides of an argument. Maybe in the future, if you're tackling a topic with "sides", you should just focus on the own you lean towards more from the get go? Especially in a case like this, where the debate is years old. No one video could possibly tackle both sides properly without being way too long!

Regardless, keep up the awesome work and I look forward to the next video! I'll drop a suggestion for a topic if I come up with one.
Thank you, much appreciated!

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
Did pit just reflect that samus missle using his Forward special move lol

Check it out yourself @ 12:57 on the video

Last edited:
Top Bottom