• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros. 3DS Demo Available on Japanese eShop

ShyKChan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shyflutters18
3DS FC
0662-3508-3411

WE ALL NEED THIS DEMO! SAKURAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIII!

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
This game was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(Tried the Demo)

immortalmertyl

Smash Rookie
so i'm playing the demo on my japanese 3ds, trying out villager. don't know if it has been mentioned anywhere else but abamasnow is a pokeball pokemon.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Does anyone know the usage limit of the demo? Not that it matters all that much, as once you've got to try out all the available characters, the demo will eventually lose its purpose.

itsameluigi1290

Smash Journeyman
NNID
luigitime1290

"Pic of the day. Users in Japan, you can now download the demo for Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS! You can pick among 5 fighters with which to play. The stage is Battlefield, and the rules are fixed. There will be a few items and assist trophies available too. You can battle via local wireless, so have fun battling with your friends. For users outside of Japan, stay tuned for more news about the demo for Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS. Screen shot is from Japanese version."

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAABnUYoKKdX37A

The demo must've got my hot dog message!

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
"Pic of the day. Users in Japan, you can now download the demo for Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS! You can pick among 5 fighters with which to play. The stage is Battlefield, and the rules are fixed. There will be a few items and assist trophies available too. You can battle via local wireless, so have fun battling with your friends. For users outside of Japan, stay tuned for more news about the demo for Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS. Screen shot is from Japanese version."

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAABnUYoKKdX37A

The demo must've got my hot dog message!
Sakurai's translator must lurk these boards...HE SPIES ON US D:

Kingkool

Smash Apprentice
I have been watching and playing competitive smash bros for a while now and after watching people play the demo today I have determined that this game looks really good, like really good. Iv'e spent the last year or so defending this game from people who are too quick to call it Brawl 2.0 and I must say that it feels really good that this game which I defended based off of nothing but trust that Sakurai knows what he's doing paid off in such a huge way. Based off of the demo streams I watched it seems like Nintendo perfectly combined the wants and hopes of both the competitive scene and the casual scene in a way I never thought possible. What I mean by that is when the players didn't know how to control the game it seemed closer to Brawl but when they started to understand it better and started trying to combo and fast fall it was like HD Melee. What this means is that if your casual and you want this game to be Brawl 2 then your gonna be happy, and at the same time if your competitive and you want this to be a spiritual successor to Melee or PM then you'll also be happy. Sakurai never ceases to amaze me and I always kick myself when I underestimate him. I can't wait to see this game develop competitively. Long live Smash 4!

NekuShikazu

Smash Journeyman
Time to leave Youtube. But if Sakurai and his team release a demo in NA, I will literally kiss their feet.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I have been watching and playing competitive smash bros for a while now and after watching people play the demo today I have determined that this game looks really good, like really good. Iv'e spent the last year or so defending this game from people who are too quick to call it Brawl 2.0 and I must say that it feels really good that this game which I defended based off of nothing but trust that Sakurai knows what he's doing paid off in such a huge way. Based off of the demo streams I watched it seems like Nintendo perfectly combined the wants and hopes of both the competitive scene and the casual scene in a way I never thought possible. What I mean by that is when the players didn't know how to control the game it seemed closer to Brawl but when they started to understand it better and started trying to combo and fast fall it was like HD Melee. What this means is that if your casual and you want this game to be Brawl 2 then your gonna be happy, and at the same time if your competitive and you want this to be a spiritual successor to Melee or PM then you'll also be happy. Sakurai never ceases to amaze me and I always kick myself when I underestimate him. I can't wait to see this game develop competitively. Long live Smash 4!
Glad to hear it, man. I hope you're on the money! I'm right there with you with the optimism. This game is going to be great, and the people who decide to hate it without playing it just need to get out of the way.

Last edited:

GTZ

Smash Ace
NNID
Arctic-Cat
Let em get a head start.. Then they will have no excuses when losing to us American players. I will wait, I won't even bother with the demo. I will keep the character roster info updates close in case of k.rool... one could only hope at this point

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Got demo, finds out that only five characters and one stage are usable, and after about 30 minutes, you get tired of the demo, and you're stuck waiting again.

Boy, the major gaming events have been way more fortunate with their retail demos.

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
It seems that you can no longer cancel out of hit stun and the fall speed and movement speed are slightly faster than brawl. However keeping brawl's dash dancing and not having momentum transfer from dash to jump will encourage defensive play and is very saddening. Also it looks like the lag on moves, landing lag and throw lag and even general attack lag is so high that it makes me severely disappointed.

At this point I already pre-ordered the 3DS version and will try it out but I am seriously considering not even getting a Wii U or Smash for Wii U. It might not even be worth it.

Kingkool

Smash Apprentice
It seems that you can no longer cancel out of hit stun and the fall speed and movement speed are slightly faster than brawl. However keeping brawl's dash dancing and not having momentum transfer from dash to jump will encourage defensive play and is very saddening. Also it looks like the lag on moves, landing lag and throw lag and even general attack lag is so high that it makes me severely disappointed.

At this point I already pre-ordered the 3DS version and will try it out but I am seriously considering not even getting a Wii U or Smash for Wii U. It might not even be worth it.
but the shield breaks really easily in this game which promotes more offensive play because you can't just shield everything and then grab like in Brawl, also just based on the 5 characters in the demo, landing lag seems to be quite small with Mario's Nair and Link's Nair and Fair autocanceling and having like 0 lag frames on landing. And that's not even considering characters like Greninja and Sheik who are said to play like they were ripped straight out of Melee. Not to mention to fast falling in this game seems to rival the speed of Melee, they were falling like bricks in the demo after the people got a few hours to get used to the game. Have faith friend, I think this game has a lot of potential if you just give it a chance.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Personally I'm more pissed off than anything that not only does he release it a few days before the Japanese already get it but he also uses a picture of the DEMO's title screen as the PotD while not even bothering to let us Americans have it.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
Personally I'm more pissed off than anything that not only does he release it a few days before the Japanese already get it but he also uses a picture of the DEMO's title screen as the PotD while not even bothering to let us Americans have it.
*not even bothering to let anyone else have it.

Little-Mac!!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedrawingdutch
Why is everyone saying the Americans should get the demo and Sakurai is only releasing it in japan to punish them? America is not the only one suffering from this.

RogersBase

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RogersBase
3DS FC
1848-1722-4915
For those of you saying "Why should I care about this? The other Japanese demo has all of the starting roster characters in it.", I suggest you watch these combo videos that Styles put together using the demo.

Insane. Long live Smash 4.

Kingkool

Smash Apprentice
I pretty much expected all of that except for the PotD cop-out. that was a bummer
Anyone know how many uses on it?

Mindsnipe

Smash Rookie
Got demo, finds out that only five characters and one stage are usable, and after about 30 minutes, you get tired of the demo, and you're stuck waiting again.

Boy, the major gaming events have been way more fortunate with their retail demos.

Are you kidding me!?!?!?! Smash bros is such a great game that you could play with just 1 character and have no items and play repeatedly without ever getting bored. You sir, need to mail me your 3ds so i can give that demo the proper smashing it deserves.

pickle962

Smash Lord

Were you smoking crack cocaine by chance when you typed this? @Zipzo proved from his time with a more recent version of the smash 4 demo (3DS) that the lag from the e3 build has seen a fairly substantial decrease (though there are still a few moves with a bit of landing lag attached to them). Also, offensive play has been given more attention this time compared to Brawl as many videos of the e shop demo have also proven so while defensive play is still an option, it won't be as heavily encouraged like it was in Brawl.

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
For those of you saying "Why should I care about this? The other Japanese demo has all of the starting roster characters in it.", I suggest you watch these combo videos that Styles put together using the demo.

Insane. Long live Smash 4.
Thank you! That's just what I wanted to see in this topic. That should be in the first post if anything.

Mario's jab2 looks really fast. I wonder if you could throw it out before utlit in those combos!

Last edited:

joomragre

Smash Cadet
Is it me or does anybody else really like the swipes that appear when a character punches or kicks?! I feel like it gives the moves extra pizas...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Are you kidding me!?!?!?! Smash bros is such a great game that you could play with just 1 character and have no items and play repeatedly without ever getting bored. You sir, need to mail me your 3ds so i can give that demo the proper smashing it deserves.
But none of the demo characters are who I really want to try out.

Top Bottom