• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash ballot: Who'd you vote for?

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Because she's an interesting and dynamic character that challenges preconceived notions of the "damsel in distress" archetype, in addition to offering a valuable deconstructive depiction of fantasy heroism and the effect of religious devotion?
She's not a damsel in distress in this game, save for like one part. I know you like her, but this is really contrived.

Because she's written in a humorous and relatable way?
What, you mean like every other character in the game?

Because Japanese fans like Kid Icarus: Uprising?
Then how come there was no significant request for another Kid Icarus character in Japan, but everywhere else in the world people were somewhat divided on the issue?

Because she has good moveset potential and was considered an interesting choice of character in Smash?
You have to be joking. She has, by far, the least moveset potential of any character aside from Viridi and her moveset shows it. Literally all of it is either completely made up or assorted power-ups. This is so untrue that it was the main argument against her inclusion.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
The funny thing is that I actually have no idea why Japanese players wanted Palutena. I'm merely offering suggestion to counter your asinine suggestion that it's because of "muh waifus" - I know as much about why Japan wanted her as you do.

To wit: I don't.

Please stop making things up to vindicate your distaste for a character.

Either way, this thread has been derailed enough. You're quite welcome to open a conversation with me if you feel so inclined, but as it stands, I would much rather let these nice people get back to discussing their ballot options.

Jdm262

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jdm262
I really want to see more new characters so I voted for Rayman. Not a huge fan of Pokemon but I think it would be interesting to add Hitmonlee and / or Hitmonchan.
I'm also not sure why Wolf isn't in Smash 4, but he really should have been so I voted for him as well.

Edit: I also want Ice Climbers to come back!

Last edited:

AfroGamerNinja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FluffyWarlock
Edit: I also want Ice Climbers to come back!
Wait for the announcement where the next SSB is NX-exclusive, I guess.

Besides:

1. There hasn't been a new Ice Climber game in, what, 31 years?
  2. Blame the 3DS version.
Because she has good moveset potential and was considered an interesting choice of character in Smash?
Customs are the only reason why she can be good. Otherwise, well...

Last edited:

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
The funny thing is that I actually have no idea why Japanese players wanted Palutena. I'm merely offering suggestion to counter your asinine suggestion that it's because of "muh waifus" - I know as much about why Japan wanted her as you do.

To wit: I don't.
Actually I do know, because it's incredibly obvious. The mental gymnastics you had to go through to deny it is proof enough, as well as you immediately resorting to "shut up, what do you know." There is no other logical explanation for why a pretty anime girl in a culture where people wanting to marry pretty anime girls is disturbingly common became the most heavily requested newcomer next to Mega Man (not counting Roy and Mewtwo).

Please stop making things up to vindicate your distaste for a character.
I don't recall ever saying I disliked her. If anyone here is biased, it's the Palutena main who decided to derail a thread to defend her.

Last edited:

Dokokashira

Smash Journeyman
I voted for this guy!

And nope, I don't have a single regret about it, even though he has, like, no chance of getting in.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Voted for Krystal. I would be remiss not to take advantage of this golden opportunity to bring in a fresh face.

AfroGamerNinja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FluffyWarlock
I just voted for Street Fighter's Guile. We need his theme song, goddamnit.

Last edited:

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
1. Isaac (Golden Sun)
This is just pure Golden Sun and Isaac bias and the fact the game is being represented by two songs in Smash WiiU.

2. King K. Rool
I only recently joined this bandwagon, Smash needs more villains, we need more DK reps, and I myself do not want Dixie. Plus who wouldn't want a giant fat croc playable? We already have a giant fat penguin.

3. Inkling
Low chance imo, I just joined the bandwagon.

4. Shantae
My friend told me too

5. Wolf
Lucas came back, Mewtwo came back, boy toy named Roy came back. Why not bring Wolf back? Beloved character, cut for no reason.

6. Quote (Cave Story)
A a man dream

7. Pichu
Just because

8. Lip (Panel de Pon.)
Read 6

Last edited:

shane3x

Saint of Swords
Pretty much everyone in my sig.

Hoooo boy. Some of my options are better off for the next Smash, but
Nothing in my mind, really. Replace Robin with Corrin from Fire Emblem Fates and we have a deal.
Considering Robin is a pretty unique character it'd be a shame to lose Robin. I don't see Lucina returning so they could easily have Robin and Corrin. Ike is still in the game even though his games are old now but he does make appearances in Awakening. Robin is also set to appear in Fates in the same capacity so Robin will probably stay.

Because she's an interesting and dynamic character that challenges preconceived notions of the "damsel in distress" archetype, in addition to offering a valuable deconstructive depiction of fantasy heroism and the effect of religious devotion?

Because she's written in a humorous and relatable way?

Because Japanese fans like Kid Icarus: Uprising?

It also helps a certain someone that directs the game is also her series creator, but you had valid points too.

PlayfulMushroom

Smash Apprentice
I voted for Isaac, but I seriously considered voting for the Ice Climbers. I'm still convinced they will be revealed along with Wolf before the ballot characters.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
My vote is, and will only be, for Snake. Once he's back, then I'll consider other characters.

Merkabo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Merkabo
3DS FC
2895-8009-7813
Honestly, I think skull kid from LOZ. Skull Kid has the potential to be a healthy addition to the cast with a very unique move set and play style. I feel he would appease the massive community of Zelda fans that hold nostalgia for the older games and may or may not detest the new artistic direction the series has taken.

I mean, to me, he pretty much contains the heart and soul of the n64 LOZ era, and would represent the giant amount of money garnered by OoT and MM's 3ds remakes. Its also strange that despite LOZ's massive popularity how under represented the series actually is. I mean fire emblems got five characters which was known as a japan only franchise until melee came along, while Zelda was widely known of throughout the west. I really feel like the series could do with more rep.

Go vote him in now people! https://cp.nintendo.co.jp/us/

Oh. Also. Funkey Kong would be pretty baller.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
The implication that people, especially Japanese people, wanted Palutena because she's hot and nothing else is pretty... demeaning, to say the least.

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Do you have any other theories as to why Palutena was the second most requested newcomer in Japan? Because I have yet to hear any other even remotely convincing explanation.

Face it; Japanese otaku culture is filled with people who are obsessed with pretty anime girls and want them in everything, to the point where they outweigh all other demographics and force the anime market to pander almost exclusively to them. That's not to say that everyone who wanted Palutena wanted her for that reason or that there aren't valid reasons for wanting her, but it's still pretty plain to see why she got so many requests in Japan.

Speaking of otaku;

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Do you have any other theories as to why Palutena was the second most requested newcomer in Japan?
Yes.

And you disregarded all of them.

Because I have yet to hear any other even remotely convincing explanation.
That could be because you're refusing to acknowledge that any other explanation could be valid but your own.

I have to agree with @ StormC StormC on this one, it's a very narrow-minded and highly debasing thing to say about a character, her fanbase, her supporters and an entire nation of people.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I voted for Dark Matter, although I've been torn between him, Jirachi, and Bandana Waddle Dee as my vote, I absolutely refuse to vote twice, it's unjust to do so in my opinion.

Also, for why Palutena was the second most requested newcomer in japan before her reveal, I'd imagine it would be a combo of her relevancy in Brawl, and that she had enormous moveset potential by being a literal Goddess of Light, I doubt there's actually that many people who'd vote solely based on appearance for a fighting game where being unique is highly valued, not to mention that it's a bit harsh to jump to that conclusion.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
People enjoyed Uprising and Palutena was the most prominent character in the game after Pit while also appearing in the other Kid Icarus games and Brawl, giving her history. That's why I supported her.

She was popular in the west too, you know.

Also pretty sure K. Rool was more requested in Japan too.

Last edited:

AfroGamerNinja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FluffyWarlock
The implication that people, especially Japanese people, wanted Palutena because she's hot and nothing else is pretty... demeaning, to say the least.
Also, if I remember correctly, Sakurai listens to the Japanese fanbase in priority, right? If so, Sakurai bias at it's finest.

MockRock

Smash Apprentice
I hear and understand the arguments about adding a brand new third party character out of left field, but I just really, really want Wolf back. Howl taunts for days!

AfroGamerNinja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FluffyWarlock
Pretty much everyone in my sig.

Considering Robin is a pretty unique character it'd be a shame to lose Robin. I don't see Lucina returning so they could easily have Robin and Corrin. Ike is still in the game even though his games are old now but he does make appearances in Awakening. Robin is also set to appear in Fates in the same capacity so Robin will probably stay.
Problem is: A Dark Blood Corrin (his class promotion should he side with Nohr) has access to magic tomes, meaning that he would be practically a Robin clone, where the sole differences would be that Corrin wouldn't be affected by the weapon durability gimmick, as Fates got rid of that, and would trade off calling an ally for the ability to use his dragonstone to morph into a dragon as a Final Smash.

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Yes.

And you disregarded all of them.
I didn't "disregard" them; I listened to what you had to say and gave counterarguments. Me not agreeing with you doesn't mean I'm refusing to listen to you.

I have to agree with @ StormC StormC on this one, it's a very narrow-minded and highly debasing thing to say about a character, her fanbase, her supporters and an entire nation of people.
First off, I've already said that I have nothing against Palutena. Second, I've also already said that this isn't a dig against everyone who likes her, just the insufferable otaku crowd who want to shove pretty anime girls into everything and force Nintendo to pander to them (rip Fire Emblem), just like they did with anime. Third, I never said that it was the entirety of Japan that I was talking about, or even the majority. Otaku are not only a minority, but are regarded a social outcasts. Obviously Japanese people aren't just a bunch of weird anime perverts, that would be incredibly ignorant and I apologize if it came off that way.

she had enormous moveset potential by being a literal Goddess of Light
Like I said before, this is definitely false. She had the least to go off of in terms of moveset potential of any character, especially being that she's the only one (except Viridi) who doesn't actually fight. In fact, her lack of moveset potential was the main argument against her inclusion.

People enjoyed Uprising and Palutena was the most prominent character in the game after Pit while also appearing in the other Kid Icarus games and Brawl, giving her history. That's why I supported her.
That's definitely a valid point, but is that really enough to skyrocket her above everyone else but Roy, Mewtwo and Mega Man? Especially considering the relatively modest sales of the game and the competition she was up against (more requests than even K. Rool, apparently).

She was popular in the west too, you know.
But not even close to her Japanese popularity. And even then, Japan was the only place that unanimously wanted Palutena over every other KI character (except for a small base of Dark Pit fans). The rest of the world was relatively split on the issue of a second KI rep, and many people didn't really care.

StormC

Smash Hero
But not even close to her Japanese popularity. And even then, Japan was the only place that unanimously wanted Palutena over every other KI character (except for a small base of Dark Pit fans). The rest of the world was relatively split on the issue of a second KI rep, and many people didn't really care.
What? Westerners most definitely wanted Palutena the most; maybe Medusa here and there, but it was otherwise Palutena.

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
What? Westerners most definitely wanted Palutena the most; maybe Medusa here and there, but it was otherwise Palutena.
Not really. Palutena was definitely the "expected" choice because of her popularity in Japan, but there were definitely a lot of people who wanted a different character, be it Medusa or Hades or even Dark Pit. It's the same reason why Chrom and Zoroark requests seemed to outweigh every other character from their series, but was really just because people expected it to happen. Plus, like I said, there were a lot of people who really just did not care, as opposed to Japan where she was super heavily requested.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Like I said before, this is definitely false. She had the least to go off of in terms of moveset potential of any character, especially being that she's the only one (except Viridi) who doesn't actually fight. In fact, her lack of moveset potential was the main argument against her inclusion.
Quite certain this is Palutena Pit's fighting in the game, so yeah ,she's fighting. But what i meant by potential wasn't even her fighting techniques but rather that someone who controls light is undeniably unique and that many people saw that as potential for a unique moveset. I was actually against her inclusion before she got in, which is why I know about her moveset potential, since that was the absolute hardest thing to argue against when it came to Palutena's inclusion, was her unique potential.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
I didn't vote for anyone, and I do not see a point in voting. The reason why is because I heard that this poll is going to be aimed towards the fans aka the characters with the most amount of demand, and seeing as how pretty much all of my wanted characters are unpopular picks, I feel that voting would be a complete waste of time. Sure, Nintendo wants to hear my voice, but how are they going to hear my voice if my vote is for a barely-asked for character?

Besides, I think that ever since Roy and Lucas came back, I strangely became satisfied with the game's roster. Any other character that gets into this game as DLC at this point is just bonus now. =P

Last edited:
This topic has become completely off topic (although it's a topic done to death) and there are better threads to post about Palutena.

namely this one
http://smashboards.com/threads/character-discussion-thread.347464/
if you wish to continue this take it there instead of crowding this unrelated topic.
I didn't vote for anyone, and I do not see a point in voting. The reason why is because I heard that this poll is going to be aimed towards the fans aka the characters with the most amount of demand, and seeing as how pretty much all of my wanted characters are unpopular picks, I feel that voting would be a complete waste of time. Sure, Nintendo wants to hear my voice, but how are they going to hear my voice if my vote is for a barely-asked for character?

Besides, I think that ever since Roy and Lucas came back, I strangely became satisfied with the game's roster. Any other character that gets into this game as DLC at this point is just bonus now. =P
not ALL characters are popular or requested. It's possible your idea may be seen as something very unique even if it isn't popular. This ballot will likely affect the next smash you know :p I suggest you vote for who you want. who knows what fate has in store.

I voted for Viridi, Ridley, Wonder Red, and Agnes Oblige. I dont think any of them will be playable but I still want to support. Especially Red who technically has a shot ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edit and immediately followed by a response about reps. Oh how i wish to reply but that would be hypocritical and probably wont get me anywhere anyway :/

*continues despising the repping mentality in the corner*

Last edited:
Top Bottom